HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

EKLUND: Flyers on the brink of pulling trigger on MAJOR deal

Old
12-16-2009, 06:12 PM
Valhoun*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Anyone advocating trading for Kovalchuk: he's on an expiring contract and looking at massive money...and there's no guarantee you're going to re-sign him. Want no part of that.
All this talk of players like Stall, Vinny, or Kovy is ********. The Flyers are, literally, the last team that can take on a 9 million dollar contract.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 06:13 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
All this talk of players like Stall, Vinny, or Kovy is ********. The Flyers are, literally, the last team that can take on a 9 million dollar contract.
Look, if we cleared major salary and brought in someone like Staal...I could accept it (even though I wouldn't be a fan of yet another big contract). Trading for Kovalchuk at this point is just straight stupid.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 06:16 PM
Shady McCoy
Eagles That Quack

Were trading for Randy Jones obviously

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Shady McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 06:16 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Look, if we cleared major salary and brought in someone like Staal...I could accept it (even though I wouldn't be a fan of yet another big contract). Trading for Kovalchuk at this point is just straight stupid.
He would only be traded here if he signed an extension. Can he even do that before January 1st? Not that that is far away.

Old
12-16-2009, 06:18 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
I got Huet for Parise and Brodeur, pretty solid.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 06:19 PM
Jester

Quote:
He would only be traded here if he signed an extension. Can he even do that before January 1st? Not that that is far away.
I'll be relatively surprised if he doesn't go to UFA...and I'll be relatively shocked if he doesn't sign a truly astronomical deal, and, frankly, we can't sign another one of those.

Old
12-16-2009, 06:19 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Agreed. Dealing for a potential UFA who is also rumoured to be considering an offer from the KHL once he's free is nothing more than franchise suicide.

The Lecavalier contract would be just bad because Vinny has gotten progressively worse the past two to three seasons.

As for Staal, he's young enough that he'll rebound. People talk about his contract being Crosby-like, but fact is, the guy is a 100 point scorer, two time 40 goal scorer and Stanley Cup winner all by the age of 25. And he's put up those good numbers with linemates not quite as talented as he would play with in Philadelphia if he were to be traded here.

As it stands, the only good news from the slump that the team is going through is that Richards and Carter might not make the team and that two week Olympic break might be the best thing for them. Anyways, that's my $0.02 worth on the issue.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 06:21 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
I'll be relatively surprised if he doesn't go to UFA...and I'll be relatively shocked if he doesn't sign a truly astronomical deal, and, frankly, we can't sign another one of those.
He'll have a number of offers close to league max.

Old
12-16-2009, 06:22 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Agreed. Dealing for a potential UFA who is also rumoured to be considering an offer from the KHL once he's free is nothing more than franchise suicide.

The Lecavalier contract would be just bad because Vinny has gotten progressively worse the past two to three seasons.

As for Staal, he's young enough that he'll rebound. People talk about his contract being Crosby-like, but fact is, the guy is a 100 point scorer, two time 40 goal scorer and Stanley Cup winner all by the age of 25. And he's put up those good numbers with linemates not quite as talented as he would play with in Philadelphia if he were to be traded here.

As it stands, the only good news from the slump that the team is going through is that Richards and Carter might not make the team and that two week Olympic break might be the best thing for them. Anyways, that's my $0.02 worth on the issue.
The real problem with Staal's contract is that it is out of step with how contracts have moved in the last couple of years. That's a BIG problem from a salary cap competitive standpoint. Staal is a great player, would love to have him on the team...but the contract is a problem for us (unless you're dumping multiple big contracts with guys waiving NTCs).

And...my God the Olympic break can't come soon enough for this team. If we can limp into that a few games over .500 I'll be ecstatic at this point.

Old
12-16-2009, 06:28 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Yeah, and then next year you are going to have to pay Sharp more than "Fartnell" is making, for essentially the same amount of goals, and you have just made your top 6 very soft in the process

Hartnell - 32 games, 9 goals, 21 points, -4, 6PP goals

Sharp - 31 games, 9 goals, 24 points +10 2PP goals

At best it is a lateral move offensively but you lose the grit factory and most likely need to give Sharp a raise above what Hartnell is making.

And Hartnell's numbers are on a team that has been absolute poop for the past month.
Sharp is signed at a cheaper cap hit then Hartnell until the end of 2011-2012 season

And as a Hawk fan Sharp is too valuable to us and we wouldn't want to take on another horrid longterm contract like Hartnell's

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 06:30 PM
Razor the Goalie
Can I Get a Hot Tub

Can Homer even pull one off without giving up the whole barn.

We really do not know what happen in the locker room. There is no heart whatsoever. Godard and Rupp were laughing with one another with a minute left in the game while we had "skilled" players on the ice and couldn't break out on a bunch of goons.

We cannot be Pittsburgh and purposely build a terrible to team to get great draft picks and have Betman and Campbell on our side for everything.

When I saw Crosby take out Boucher last night and no one went after him, that was it for me.

We have no heart.

The Ducks are jumping for joy right now as our loss if their gain.

Thanks Homer.

Razor the Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 06:31 PM
mrzeigler
Geno and Juss '13

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni88 View Post
OMG this is such awesome great news ... thanky you, Eklund!!!!!

mrzeigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 06:32 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldberg The Goalie View Post
Can Homer even pull one off without giving up the whole barn.

We really do not know what happen in the locker room. There is no heart whatsoever. Godard and Rupp were laughing with one another with a minute left in the game while we had "skilled" players on the ice and couldn't break out on a bunch of goons.

We cannot be Pittsburgh and purposely build a terrible to team to get great draft picks and have Betman and Campbell on our side for everything.

When I saw Crosby take out Boucher last night and no one went after him, that was it for me.

We have no heart.

The Ducks are jumping for joy right now as our loss if their gain.

Thanks Homer.
I think this talk should be postponed since Betts will play tomorrow. Their record with Betts is awesome. Maybe we can win just by having him in the line up.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 06:56 PM
kevinjd182

Random, but interesting... I had the sixers game on in the background, and I swore I heard the arena announcer say Emery and Giroux were in attendence and then a couple seconds later, he said also in attendence, Richards, Cote, and Carcillo. Think it's weird that they might not be sitting together? Probably not a big deal. I just thought it was interesting.

kevinjd182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 06:56 PM
shamski7

Send a message via AIM to shamski7
eklund's a day late. we claimed michael leighton off waivers yesterday.

shamski7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 07:02 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
And...my God the Olympic break can't come soon enough for this team. If we can limp into that a few games over .500 I'll be ecstatic at this point.
Agreed.

That would be a good scenario at this point.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 07:05 PM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
Carter for Kesler +
Make it happen!

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 07:07 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Sharp is signed at a cheaper cap hit then Hartnell until the end of 2011-2012 season

And as a Hawk fan Sharp is too valuable to us and we wouldn't want to take on another horrid longterm contract like Hartnell's
It's not that bad. The guy did score 30 last year . . .

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 07:10 PM
Vikke
ViktorAllvin twitter

vCash: 685
"Boyes to Blue Jackets? (e4)
According to my sources within the St. Louis Blues organization, the Columbus Blue Jackets are willing to part with G Steve Mason, LW Rick Nash and D Mike Commodore to obtain the services of RW Brad Boyes. Remember, you heard it here first!"

LOL!
They really want Boyes according to http://hockeybuzzhogwash.com/rumourgen.htm

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 07:15 PM
Slowbro

im all for a major trade.. give me, the fan, something interesting to read/watch/enjoy

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Shady McCoy
Eagles That Quack

Here's a winner:

"According to my sources within the New Jersey Devils organization, the Philadelphia Flyers are willing to part with RW Simon Giroux, C Danny Briere to obtain the services of LW Patrik Elias. Remember, you heard it here first!"

Old
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post
Here's a winner:

"According to my sources within the New Jersey Devils organization, the Philadelphia Flyers are willing to part with RW Simon Giroux, C Danny Briere to obtain the services of LW Patrik Elias. Remember, you heard it here first!"
LOL So much fail and hilarity.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 08:01 PM
Shady McCoy
Eagles That Quack

Well I think Eklund got the Phillies and Flyers confused.

Old
12-16-2009, 08:05 PM
captainpaxil

Quote:
Anyone advocating trading for Kovalchuk: he's on an expiring contract and looking at massive money...and there's no guarantee you're going to re-sign him. Want no part of that.
i think the flyers are a team with the intangibles to attract kovie. if were dealing carter straight up i think hes the best option and his pending contract makes him gettable

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 08:08 PM
Shady McCoy
Eagles That Quack

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
i think the flyers are a team with the intangibles to attract kovie. if were dealing carter straight up i think hes the best option and his pending contract makes him gettable
The Flyers can't offer the contract that Kovy will get in the open market and what it would take to trade for him would not be worth it.