HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The one thing that bothers me is the Habs seem so easy to play against

Old
07-22-2010, 01:12 PM
MSSLYNX

vCash: 500
PS: Who's Ian Lapierre?..O'Byrne says hello right back. Joke's on you.
---
Well at the time of the fight the joke was pretty much on the whole team. Losing a fight happens, rarely when you are 6 inches taller, 50 pounds heavier and 10 years younger but it does happen. The reste of the team simply ignored the situation. Wasn't the final score of that game 3-0 or something like that?

Habs are truly fun to play against. Look what Philly did this summer: Re-signed Carcillo, added Shelley and Walker. Man...

Reminds me of poor Ben Eager asking Pronger the puck back. Pathetic.

Toughness is a part of the game but we are not playin it.

MSSLYNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 01:20 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSSLYNX View Post
---
Well at the time of the fight the joke was pretty much on the whole team. Losing a fight happens, rarely when you are 6 inches taller, 50 pounds heavier and 10 years younger but it does happen. The reste of the team simply ignored the situation. Wasn't the final score of that game 3-0 or something like that?

Habs are truly fun to play against. Look what Philly did this summer: Re-signed Carcillo, added Shelley and Walker. Man...

toronto's tough but they;'re pretty terrible.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 01:25 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
---

I remember Laperierre wanted to come to MTL before he signed with Colorado years ago. Gainey wasn't interested.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 01:27 PM
MSSLYNX

God... toughness is a part of the game not THE ONLY part of the game.

Old
07-22-2010, 01:29 PM
Andy

Quote:
God... toughness is a part of the game not THE ONLY part of the game.
exactly, which is why I'm not too worried.

Old
07-22-2010, 01:29 PM
MSSLYNX

And again before signing in Philly while UFA. Laperriere over Darche and most of our 4th liners.

Old
07-22-2010, 01:30 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
toronto's tough but they;'re pretty terrible.
What a TERRIBLE comeback...

Lieno Richards Zherdev
Hartnell Carter Briere
JVR Giroux Carcillo
Shelley Betts Laperriere
Powe

Pronger Meszaros
Timonen Coburn
Carle O'Donnell/Walker

Now that's a perfect mix of talent and toughness.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 01:31 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
exactly, which is why I'm not too worried.
You should.

Old
MSSLYNX

You should be worried of THAT part of our game. Lack of scoring- bluntly evident in the Philly serie- has been fixed or are we going with the same top 6 forwards? Yikes.

Old
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
What a TERRIBLE comeback...

Lieno Richards Zherdev
Hartnell Carter Briere
JVR Giroux Carcillo
Shelley Betts Laperriere
Powe

Pronger Meszaros
Timonen Coburn
Carle O'Donnell/Walker

Now that's a perfect mix of talent and toughness.
Show ten other teams in the league like this, with as much skill and toughness

Old
07-22-2010, 01:34 PM
Andy

Quote:
You should be worried of THAT part of our game. Lack of scoring- bluntly evident in the Philly serie- has been fixed or are we going with the same top 6 forwards? Yikes.
I don't know, I can't predict the future, we'll see when the season starts. The potential is definately there.

Old
07-22-2010, 01:36 PM
MSSLYNX

--
Not many i'll give you that. Philly even added Zherdev to replace Gagne's 20 goals.

But they too did not fix the main weakness: goalies.

Back to the Habs, which part of the game they improved on this summer?

Old
07-22-2010, 01:39 PM
MSSLYNX

Yeah... wait and see. Been reading that one often it seems.
Standard answer from my kids when bringing back a bad report card. Wait till next semester. But what are you gonna do to fix it? Wait and see. Show me somthing!

Old
07-22-2010, 01:40 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
The point was made...... But if you must know.

Hawks had Eager, Byfuglien, Sharp, Burish and Brower who were tough as nails.

Boston has Chara, Thornton, Horton, Lucic, Campbell, Stuart and Boychuk.

Vancouver has Hordichuk, Rypien, Glass and O'brien

Ducks won the cup with a tough team aswell. I could go on with the Rangers, Stars, Wild and Senators.

Habs need a tough guy, a middleweight (like White, or a more effective Travis Moen) and O'Byrne to play every game if they want to compete againts big teams.

Old
07-22-2010, 01:41 PM
Andy

Quote:
--
Not many i'll give you that. Philly even added Zherdev to replace Gagne's 20 goals.

But they too did not fix the main weakness: goalies.

Back to the Habs, which part of the game they improved on this summer?
Bottom 6 and forward depth easily. Also they made improvements within the organization for puck movement and mobility on defense with the addition of a full-time Subban. This move is definatly underrated by the fan base.

Last year, when a player in the top 6 went down we had Pyatt, Moen or Darche replace them. This year we have Boyd and Eller.

Also we improved not only for this year, but the future as well. Center depth is better than every with Eller and Boyd. Boyd is a clear improvement over Metropolit. He already provides the same offense at 23 and is faster, better face off man, as good or better defensively than Metropolit.

Eller gives us depth at center, depth we haven't had in a long time. He's also finally a big centerman who will only get better overtime.

Our organization is finally make moves that will have an impact beyond just one year.

Old
07-22-2010, 01:44 PM
Andy

Quote:
The point was made...... But if you must know.

Hawks had Eager, Byfuglien, Sharp, Burish and Brower who were tough as nails.
They no longer have Eager. Sharp isn't the most physical player and Burish barely plays.

Quote:
Boston has Chara, Thornton, Horton, Lucic, Campbell, Stuart and Boychuk.
Bruins as of right now can be as tough as they want, but they are still over the cap and have a weak defense since they got rid of Wideman. Also Horton isn't that physical.

Quote:
Vancouver has Hordichuk, Rypien, Glass and O'brien
not in our conference, yet they still couldn't get passed the Hawks because depth is more important that size and toughness.

Quote:
Ducks won the cup with a tough team aswell. I could go on with the Rangers, Stars, Wild and Senators.
How tough was Detroit, Pittsburgh? Depth wins you championships, not toughness. It's only one aspect to a winning team.

Quote:
Habs need a tough guy, a middleweight (like White, or a more effective Travis Moen) and O'Byrne to play every game if they want to compete againts big teams.
Yet we beat two teams bigger than us in these very playoffs. Size issue is a cope out for people who really can't do an indepth analysis of a game. It's a really shallow assessment of the team.

And you still have yet to show me 10 teams of this year that have as much size and skill as the Flyers.

Old
07-22-2010, 01:54 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
They no longer have Eager. Sharp isn't the most physical player and Burish barely plays.

Bruins as of right now can be as tough as they want, but they are still over the cap and have a weak defense since they got rid of Wideman. Also Horton isn't that physical.

not in our conference, yet they still couldn't get passed the Hawks because depth is more important that size and toughness.

How tough was Detroit, Pittsburgh? Depth wins you championships, not toughness. It's only one aspect to a winning team.

Yet we beat two teams bigger than us in these very playoffs. Size issue is a cope out for people who really can't do an indepth analysis of a game. It's a really shallow assessment of the team.

And you still have yet to show me 10 teams of this year that have as much size and skill as the Flyers.
If that's your answer then we have nothing to discuss about. You're just dodging the fact that you're dead wrong, i.e: with the Bruins having a poor ddefence and cap issues because of overpayed players Savard, Ryder and Bergeron or Vancouver being out of the conference. BTW the Hawks replaced Eager with 6'7 John Scott, Skille has grit and Kyle Beach is coming in soon.

The PO's are not like regular season games, Martin outcoached his opponent's gameplan and we had a solid goalie who played way over his head. It doesn't mean we have nothing to be worried of right now.

Old
07-22-2010, 01:58 PM
MSSLYNX

Boyd (and even Eller) on the top 6, that one i'll wait to see! Dustin is 24 and did not score more than 11 yet. Eller has 7 games played. Not top 6 material for 2010-2011.

Subban was there -and yes should improve- in the playoffs so thats why i left him out of the new guys list.

Old
07-22-2010, 01:58 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
If that's your answer then we have nothing to discuss about. You're just dodging the fact that you're dead wrong, i.e: with the Bruins having a poor ddefence and cap issues because of overpayed players Savard, Ryder and Bergeron or Vancouver being out of the conference. BTW the Hawks replaced Eager with 6'7 John Scott, Skille has grit and Kyle Beach is coming in soon.

The PO's are not like regular season games, Martin outcoached his opponent's gameplan and we had a solid goalie who played way over his head. It doesn't mean we have nothing to be worried of right now.
We'll see when the year starts. Games aren't played on paper, they're played on the ice. I'm not worried, the organization is moving in the right direction, teams aren't over night and they are take really good steps right.

The size thing is overrated because there aren't many times in the league currently that combine size and skill, you can't even name 10.

Most of the physical players mentioned in teams above play limited roles and guys Hordicuk, Burish, thornton barely play 5 minutes a game. O'brien is a terrible defensemen and is a liability when on the ice, but he hits right?

Your best players need to be tough, that's what makes teams successful. Your bottom 6 needs to provide secondary scoring and good defensive play first.

Again I told you size and skill. Burish, Hordichuck, Thornton and O'brien isn't size and skill.

Old
07-22-2010, 02:05 PM
maxpower2010*

Quote:
Boyd (and even Eller) on the top 6, that one i'll wait to see! Dustin is 24 and did not score more than 11 yet. Eller has 7 games played. Not top 6 material for 2010-2011.

Subban was there -and yes should improve- in the playoffs so thats why i left him out of the new guys list.
Tell me about it. Even our bottom-6 is concerning and our top-6 has two winger spots filled by plugs.

Good thing the game isn't played on paper.

maxpower2010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 02:06 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I would take O'Brien over any guys on our D not named Markov, Gorges, Subban.

Old
07-22-2010, 02:06 PM
MSSLYNX

Next line on that topic is often a statistical comparison of our size. Numbers say we are big: Pouliot. Lapierre. Roman. O'Byrne. Gill. All dressing at Big and Tall but closer to Born Again Christians than NHL tough guys not fun to play against.

Smaller stats like Carcillo, Asham and even Laperriere provide way much toughness.

Just sayin some Eastern teams improved this summer. Did we? Boyd and Eller???

Old
07-22-2010, 02:07 PM
Andy

Quote:
I never said they will play in the top 6. They are adequate replacements for injuries in the top 6. I'd rather have Boyd and Eller replacing injured players than Moen, Darche and Pyatt.

Boyd was once a highly touted prospect and his production is very good for the role he plays. I've wanted him for a while on our team not, I will guarentee he will be an fan favorite.

As for Eller, yes he played 7 games, but he is also a highly touted prospect. It seems like as fans a particular team we always give the benefit of the doubt to rookie players on other teams, rather than our own. You will be impressed by Eller's game.

Quote:
But he didn't play much with Markov in the lineup. Having two legitmate puck movers and the back end will make our transition game that much better and this is really important for a team that relies on their speed and quick counter attacks to produce offense.

Old
07-22-2010, 02:08 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I would take O'Brien over any guys on our D not named Markov, Gorges, Subban.
Of course you would, your blind by size. O'brien is not better defensively than Hamrlik and Spacek and his game isn't as versatile as the latter two.

Old
07-22-2010, 02:08 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

but closer to Born Again Christians

If only we were allowed to get sigs again, that would be mine.