HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The one thing that bothers me is the Habs seem so easy to play against

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-22-2010, 03:21 PM
  #351
JayBee*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Price has a higher ceiling than Halak then i have legitmate reason to believe that he will do better than halak next season considering he has both the potential and pedigree.

And yes there is a need to continue this discussion because some claim Boston to have improved with the addition of Seguin, but Montreal has not with the addition of Eller. This is a clear double standard.
Well then that's your issue with those individuals. I never said Eller wasn't a good addition.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 03:26 PM
  #352
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,056
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
Well then that's your issue with those individuals. I never said Eller wasn't a good addition.
So the Montreal has made an improvement in the lineup right?

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 03:28 PM
  #353
JayBee*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
So the Montreal has made an improvement in the lineup right?
In the long run, yes...short term? No.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 03:31 PM
  #354
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,056
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
In the long run, yes...short term? No.
Exactly what I wanted to hear.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 03:32 PM
  #355
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
So the Montreal has made an improvement in the lineup right?
We have no idea if Eller will crack the line-up yet. He's a prospect.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 03:34 PM
  #356
MSSLYNX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 565
vCash: 500
He was also scratched during POs.

but later:

Who cares about the POs?..
---
Make up your mind!

But i was going to say that i do care about the playoffs.
JVR did not play 21 games in the POs? Did not score much being a rookie and stucked behind... but you wont hear that either. Just check the game logs.

Found something interesting while checking Benoit's game logs: Against Wsh, he started the serie at 21 min/game then went downhill to 5 in games 5/6 before getting 10 on game 7.
Got a fresh start against Pit by getting 18 mins and then dropping all the way to 2 mins. Didnt get much ice versus Philly. JVR ice time is way better. Against CHi it started at 9 and ended up at 14. His coach must have been really dissatisfied with him.

I still take JVR.

MSSLYNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 03:44 PM
  #357
MSSLYNX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 565
vCash: 500
Seguin was drafted 2nd. But it really doesn't mean anything,
--
Bingo we have our winner.

Someone is happy with the improvement this summer.

Better answer would been: short term probably not and long term probably. The danish guy is a rookie. He's not Hall/Seguin, he's not Stamkos or Bobby Ryan. He is Lars Eller. 57 pts in the ahl which is encouraging. And 4 pts ahead of PK Subban! Lets put him on our top 6.

MSSLYNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 04:27 PM
  #358
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 13,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
Laraque shouldn't even have got a spot 2 years ago. Shelley is not even an NHLer at this point, and Boogard, while being a "sexy name" for the fans, isn't all that efficient, and at times is just a liability for his team with his bonehead penalties.

Guys like Lucic are what you need now in this league. And when you get one of these players, you're just not willing to deal him.
That's what happens when you spend the last 15 years with a soft team. You get fans like this.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 04:38 PM
  #359
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 13,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
So your giving these two rookies the benefit of the doubt in regards to immediate impact to a club, but won't give it to Eller...interesting.
Again, what the hell are you talking about??? I'm not asking for 12 forwards with grit, i want 2 or 3 that can help protect the team. I love Eller, and never did i write otherwise complained about his lack of physicality, witch btw i know he's able to hold more then his own on the boards. Can you please stop avoiding the subject by talking about somebody else?

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 05:52 PM
  #360
TankEller*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
That's what happens when you spend the last 15 years with a soft team. You get fans like this.
Are you black? This ain't even being racist. It's just that besides that, I wonder what Laraque could do to make you so emotionnal each and every time he's into the conversation. Seriously... Don't try to play it arrogant, because you're digging yourself quite the hole. You're ridiculously biased. Those kind of players are useless, and Laraque was just a big sack of potatoes on the ice.

Laraque: "Do you want to fight with me?"
Player: "No"
Laraque: "awwww... Come on!!!?"
Player: "No"
Laraque: "You're immature!"
Player: "No"
Laraque: ""

Spending 1,65M for a guy like Boogard is pure madness.
Spending over 1M for a guy like Shelley is madness.
Spending 2M for a guy like Neil isn't all that mad, because the guy can actually do something.
Spending 1,5M for a guy like Moen is logical, because the guy plays great defensively.
Spending 1,5M for a guy like Laraque is admitting you're a deficient.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 07:28 PM
  #361
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
And this is exactly what I'm talking about.

NO, we wouldn't have fought for a playoffs spot without Halak. You're kidding yourself if you actually think Price would've gave us a playoffs birth. He couldn't win to save his life, no matter what the reasons are.

Price might not have to be as stellar as Halak was last season, but he still has to be better than what he's been since the beginning of 2009.
I'm afraid you're as stubborn and unreasonable as you are overheated. Are you conveniently forgetting that Price took the Habs to first place in the East over 14 other teams in 2007-08? I'd say that's pretty good even by your distorted standards. The Habs also won a playoff round. Don't you agree that it trumps Halak's accomplishment of finishing eighth in the final week of the 2009-10 season?


Last edited by Teufelsdreck: 07-22-2010 at 07:39 PM.
Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 08:16 PM
  #362
TankEller*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I'm afraid you're as stubborn and unreasonable as you are overheated. Are you conveniently forgetting that Price took the Habs to first place in the East over 14 other teams in 2007-08? I'd say that's pretty good even by your distorted standards. The Habs also won a playoff round. Don't you agree that it trumps Halak's accomplishment of finishing eighth in the final week of the 2009-10 season?


I'm afraid you're as biased and unrealistic as you are arrogant.

Kovalev lead us to the 1st place in the East. Not Price. If Price was actually that good, he wouldn't have lost his 1st spot to Halak to begin with, and he wouldn't have collapsed in such a disastrous way in 2008-2009.

No, it doesn't beat what Halak did this year. Halak took a team rattled by injuries to the playoffs, and successfully was instrumental in our playoffs run, in which we eliminated the President Trophy Champions, AS WELL AS the defending Stanley Cup Champions.

Ask any single hockey fan in the world, ask non-Habs fans, from a non-biased perspective, what Halak did is by far more impressive. Go on and get a poll going in the NHL board. You'll see by yourself.

And just don't wonder why fans in the Bell Center are booing Price. Fans like you are the exact reason why the kid is having a hard time with his fans right now. Let him prove what he's made of before stating ridiculous comparisons like this one.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 08:44 PM
  #363
MSSLYNX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 565
vCash: 500
Guess its convenient to go back to Price/Halak whatever the topic is. There must be a couple of threads for that endless debate.
Team toughness people... Big bad Habs? Crecent street Bullies?
Lars the evil Dane? Moen the Equalizer? Ryan the purse-snatcher? Maxime Lapierre the fakedropping creator? Kidding.

MSSLYNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 08:49 PM
  #364
HABitual
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Kirkland Lake, Ontar
Posts: 5,707
vCash: 500
It's easy to play against poorly managed teams that have been criticized, as long as I can remember, for being too small, and no GM does anything about it.

HABitual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 08:56 PM
  #365
MSSLYNX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 565
vCash: 500
I'd like to discuss Travis Moen in particular. What is he? A tough two-way player? No because his PM minutes keep on dropping. No because he doesnt play much in the off. zone (19 points). A fast 3rd liner?

Cant figure him out in fact since the 07 playoffs when he became visible.

MSSLYNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 09:01 PM
  #366
guest1467
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 24,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSSLYNX View Post
I'd like to discuss Travis Moen in particular. What is he? A tough two-way player? No because his PM minutes keep on dropping. No because he doesnt play much in the off. zone (19 points). A fast 3rd liner?

Cant figure him out in fact since the 07 playoffs when he became visible.
Good two way forward that isn't afraid to mix it up. Can fill in for any top 6 role if needed, but better suited as a regular on the third line. Plays a strict north-south game, always prefers to move the puck forward and make high percentage plays than low ones. Good PKer, can chip in offensively once in a while and is a decent skater with a decent shot.

That is who Moen is.


guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 09:02 PM
  #367
TankEller*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSSLYNX View Post
I'd like to discuss Travis Moen in particular. What is he? A tough two-way player? No because his PM minutes keep on dropping. No because he doesnt play much in the off. zone (19 points). A fast 3rd liner?

Cant figure him out in fact since the 07 playoffs when he became visible.
Go back to the RDS forums. You quite obviously fit way better out there.

Moen is an excellent defensive player with size, grit, and he'll stand up for any teammate. You need players like him on a lineup. He can even score the odd goal from time to time. You can't get any better than this if you want a gritty, defensive player. He's also quite a great skater for his size.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 09:10 PM
  #368
MSSLYNX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 565
vCash: 500
Why the anger??? Asked a simple question related to the topic. Now i know he is a regular third-liner with upside for any spot on a 2nd and a guy who stands up for his teammates. Thanks to you both.

MSSLYNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 09:31 PM
  #369
habsjunkie2*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Is this surprising considering we spent some time playing with half of an AHL roster this year??..

Size isn't the issue. As much as you don't want to use injuries as excuses, we can't overlook them. Our team has been completely crippled by them. I don't think it's fair to say we're easy to play against. We haven't played 1 Game with a healthy roster yet. And it's not like we only lost a 3rd liner in the first game, it was our MVP and arguably a top 5 D in the NHL.

Size may not be the issue, but it's an issue. I don't know how this can be disputed. Robert Lang, although not very physical was instrumental in the habs success when he played here. When he went down we struggled a bit. Size, especially down the middle is a concern. Now if you have smaller guys who are quite feisty it can be overlooked, but we kinda lack in that area too. We were pityful at scoring 5vs5 and got shutout 3 times against a tough Philly defence in the ECF, you don't believe lack of size at least contributed to the difficulties? I think the issue is a bit over blown, but it's a concern imo.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 09:55 PM
  #370
MSSLYNX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 565
vCash: 500
Careful with the ahl roster argument. We missed Markov 35 games, AK 20, Gionta 20 and Mike C. 15. Talkin about impact guys. Other teams had the same handicap: Boston lost Lucic 30 and Savard 40, Pit was without Malkin 10 , Gonchar 20, Devils were hit harder Elias 20, Zubrus 30, Martin 60, Philly lost Gagne 20 and both their goalies for god's sake! Toronto lost many guys 20+.

MSSLYNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 10:07 PM
  #371
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 13,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
Are you black? This ain't even being racist. It's just that besides that, I wonder what Laraque could do to make you so emotionnal each and every time he's into the conversation. Seriously... Don't try to play it arrogant, because you're digging yourself quite the hole. You're ridiculously biased. Those kind of players are useless, and Laraque was just a big sack of potatoes on the ice.

Laraque: "Do you want to fight with me?"
Player: "No"
Laraque: "awwww... Come on!!!?"
Player: "No"
Laraque: "You're immature!"
Player: "No"
Laraque: ""

Spending 1,65M for a guy like Boogard is pure madness.
Spending over 1M for a guy like Shelley is madness.
Spending 2M for a guy like Neil isn't all that mad, because the guy can actually do something.
Spending 1,5M for a guy like Moen is logical, because the guy plays great defensively.
Spending 1,5M for a guy like Laraque is admitting you're a deficient.
I'll tell you why i get so emotional. I'm so mother %/$"%&! tired of watching that's always playing the victim, or that almost raises a white flag everytime a team like Philly starts playing a in your face bang style of hockey. This obsession of turning the other cheek should not be an option in NHL hockey, period.

As for your Laraque jokes, well there's a mental part of the game i understand that very few here do. Like i said earlier, would you push George St. Pierre's buttons even if you were sure he wouldn't hit you? It's the same with hockey players, they have an effect by their presence, and by how many goons have found jobs this july i'm psitive i'm right on that one

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 10:11 PM
  #372
habsjunkie2*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Seguin was drafted 2nd. But it really doesn't mean anything, otherwise Halak and Markov shouldn't be playing in the NHL, likewise for a number of superstars.
Sure, Seguin might have a little more potential but I'm not sure he'll play in the NHL this year. Not because he's not ready, if Toronto would have retained their pick, he'd be for sure part of their roster. But Boston has a much better team and they're pretty set at the center position. They don't need to rush him right away.

Eller will play for us, there's no doubt about it.

Seguin has a little more potential, Eller is a little more ready, who will be better down the line?..Only time will tell.
Eller is anything but a sure thing to make our roster and Seguin has a little more than a little more potential.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 10:11 PM
  #373
habsjunkie2*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSSLYNX View Post
Careful with the ahl roster argument. We missed Markov 35 games, AK 20, Gionta 20 and Mike C. 15. Talkin about impact guys. Other teams had the same handicap: Boston lost Lucic 30 and Savard 40, Pit was without Malkin 10 , Gonchar 20, Devils were hit harder Elias 20, Zubrus 30, Martin 60, Philly lost Gagne 20 and both their goalies for god's sake! Toronto lost many guys 20+.
Are you trying to say we weren't the only team with injuries? I don't believe you.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 10:15 PM
  #374
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 13,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Good two way forward that isn't afraid to mix it up. Can fill in for any top 6 role if needed, but better suited as a regular on the third line. Plays a strict north-south game, always prefers to move the puck forward and make high percentage plays than low ones. Good PKer, can chip in offensively once in a while and is a decent skater with a decent shot.

That is who Moen is.

Once every 75 games, and not to mention that was one of the luckiest goals i've ever seen in my life.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 07:18 AM
  #375
TankEller*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
I'll tell you why i get so emotional. I'm so mother %/$"%&! tired of watching that's always playing the victim, or that almost raises a white flag everytime a team like Philly starts playing a in your face bang style of hockey. This obsession of turning the other cheek should not be an option in NHL hockey, period.

As for your Laraque jokes, well there's a mental part of the game i understand that very few here do. Like i said earlier, would you push George St. Pierre's buttons even if you were sure he wouldn't hit you? It's the same with hockey players, they have an effect by their presence, and by how many goons have found jobs this july i'm psitive i'm right on that one
And how does it help when guys like Lucic take liberties on guys like Komisarek, even when Laraque is dressed and on the same rink?

The following game against Boston, "BGL" tried as hard as he could to provoke something, but alas, that was reactionnary, and way too late. Laraque imposed no respect on the ice. Trailing 0-3 against Boston in the playoffs, Komisarek being KO'ed by Lucic, he was STILL trying to score goals and attempting next to no aggression. He's a goon who doesn't want to play as such. He's a pathetic excuse of a hockey player.

"There's a mental part of the game I understand that very few here do"

Yeah, right. So care to tell us why your hero still hasn't found a job just yet? Or I guess Gainey firing him from the team and bashing him afterwards was all free hate as well? When a classy guy like Gainey fires a player only to go out in the medias and tell them how the said player wasn't respecting the "code of the team", you know there's something wrong. Something was wrong ever since the 2009 playoffs against Boston. Gainey didn't send Laraque with Koivu and Kovalev so he could score goals. He sent him there so he could take care of Lucic, Thornton and cie. And still, he didn't do anything to prevent Lucic from bullying Komisarek all series long.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:57 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.