HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Devils name person they'd most like to meet

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-17-2009, 12:29 AM
  #26
yakitate304
Crunch Time
 
yakitate304's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NY
Country: St Lucia
Posts: 13,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeursCups View Post
I respect what the guy has accomplished and done for the game of golf, but to give him awards like "athlete of the decade" is pure idiocy. I eat sleep and breathe golf during the summer and I love the game, but golfers aren't athletes.
Athlete of the decade: Floyd Mayweather Jr., as I posted here.

yakitate304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 12:34 AM
  #27
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer
 
BenedictGomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PRNJ
Country: United States
Posts: 27,585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Krinkle View Post
What I don't get about the game is simple: How does anyone root for a dude. These guys are LOADED. You think they care if they finish first or second or fifteenth? Either way they get paid and get paid handsomely. Yet I know a lot of folks who cheer for Tiger or Phil or whomever and get annoyed when they don't win. WTF? There's no attachment to a city or state or any feeling of belonging to these guys, they're in it for themselves and that's it.. Yet countless people are gigantic fans, it's the same with Nascar. I don't get it.
If you root for someone, it's not much different than hoping Parise scores the goal because he's your favorite player. Or for some, they root against a few people they dont like, like Tiger or Westwood, etc. But for the vast majority of golf fans, it's more about watching because you appreciate their talent in general. The avid player watches, because the PGA players can do things that you cant even think about doing, let alone actually pulling off.

BenedictGomez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 12:37 AM
  #28
BrodeursCups
....
 
BrodeursCups's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NoDak now NYC area
Country: United States
Posts: 29,915
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Krinkle View Post
What I don't get about the game is simple: How does anyone root for a dude. These guys are LOADED. You think they care if they finish first or second or fifteenth? Either way they get paid and get paid handsomely. Yet I know a lot of folks who cheer for Tiger or Phil or whomever and get annoyed when they don't win. WTF? There's no attachment to a city or state or any feeling of belonging to these guys, they're in it for themselves and that's it.. Yet countless people are gigantic fans, it's the same with Nascar. I don't get it.
I guess it's comparable to fans who cheer for specific players in a sport. Like I'm sure there's a lot of Parise fans (especially in Minnesota) and want to see him light it up, but don't care how the devils do. I'm sure there's a lot of LeBron James fans who don't care about the Cavaliers.

In tiger's case, he's so good that there's going to be those people who wouldn't normally watch golf if he wasn't playing. And it's true, when tiger doesn't play ratings are down ~60%. He is the PGA tour. Until now I guess, he was a squeaky clean, smart guy who went to stanford and is capable of pulling off shots that no one else in the history of the game could (his shot at the canadian open was insane. 220yds over water out of a bunker). Granted he doesn't stop and sign like Phil does, but that perfect family man who could win the masters by 14 shots image really helped build a solid fan base for the game of golf. He just has an aura to him that is undeniable. He was seemingly incapable of getting rattled. He's lost one time in his career when he entered the final round with a lead. Once. He is as sure a bet as Brodeur putting up 40 wins/season (when healthy). Golf is more mental than it is about your swing. Many crumble playing in front of thousands with TV cameras on you. Many more melt down in the final holes when they have the lead in a tournament (Sergio Garcia is notorious for this), but not tiger. Every shot of his is well thought out and precise..

BrodeursCups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 12:39 AM
  #29
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens
 
Das Uber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Omicron Persei 8
Country: United States
Posts: 23,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Guess Elias is a soccer guy.
He and Havlat went to the World Cup in Germany. He was a pretty good soccer player from what I've heard. He could have gone either way, but chose hockey.

Das Uber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 12:53 AM
  #30
Mr.Krinkle
Hello there children
 
Mr.Krinkle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kitchen
Country: United States
Posts: 13,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeursCups View Post
I guess it's comparable to fans who cheer for specific players in a sport. Like I'm sure there's a lot of Parise fans (especially in Minnesota) and want to see him light it up, but don't care how the devils do. I'm sure there's a lot of LeBron James fans who don't care about the Cavaliers.

In tiger's case, he's so good that there's going to be those people who wouldn't normally watch golf if he wasn't playing. And it's true, when tiger doesn't play ratings are down ~60%. He is the PGA tour. Until now I guess, he was a squeaky clean, smart guy who went to stanford and is capable of pulling off shots that no one else in the history of the game could (his shot at the canadian open was insane. 220yds over water out of a bunker). Granted he doesn't stop and sign like Phil does, but that perfect family man who could win the masters by 14 shots image really helped build a solid fan base for the game of golf. He just has an aura to him that is undeniable. He was seemingly incapable of getting rattled. He's lost one time in his career when he entered the final round with a lead. Once. He is as sure a bet as Brodeur putting up 40 wins/season (when healthy). Golf is more mental than it is about your swing. Many crumble playing in front of thousands with TV cameras on you. Many more melt down in the final holes when they have the lead in a tournament (Sergio Garcia is notorious for this), but not tiger. Every shot of his is well thought out and precise..
Yeah I don't get the people who cheer for specific players either. I like Ovechkin but don't like the Caps. I like Ovy because he's fun to watch, but I'm not going to go out of my way to root for him or let him ruin my day if he doesn't score a goal.

I have family members who have had weekends ruined when Tiger doesn't win. It's disturbing. I can understand if he's entertaining or good or whatever and enjoying the event, but really, who gives a **** - he's a dude making money. It's not like you have to live next to Mickelson fans ragging you about how much Tiger blows and is overrated because he has an awesome system in front of him.

Or maybe I'm just not rich enough to live in one of those neighborhoods, maybe that **** only happens in Ridgewood or Mantoloking. Which would be hilarious, I'd love to see CEO smackdowns about golf.

Mr.Krinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 01:00 AM
  #31
SCOTTIESTEVENS
Registered User
 
SCOTTIESTEVENS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country:
Posts: 3,040
vCash: 500
Sorry if someone picked up on this already, but Devils name "player" they'd most like to meet? Did you mean "person" CJ? It looks like all the people are celebrities, presidents, etc. Not players.

SCOTTIESTEVENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 01:05 AM
  #32
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
 
CFD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 18,087
vCash: 500
Colin White:

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 01:47 AM
  #33
guyincognito
Registered User
 
guyincognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 31,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Krinkle View Post
Yeah I don't get the people who cheer for specific players either. I like Ovechkin but don't like the Caps. I like Ovy because he's fun to watch, but I'm not going to go out of my way to root for him or let him ruin my day if he doesn't score a goal.

I have family members who have had weekends ruined when Tiger doesn't win. It's disturbing. I can understand if he's entertaining or good or whatever and enjoying the event, but really, who gives a **** - he's a dude making money. It's not like you have to live next to Mickelson fans ragging you about how much Tiger blows and is overrated because he has an awesome system in front of him.

Or maybe I'm just not rich enough to live in one of those neighborhoods, maybe that **** only happens in Ridgewood or Mantoloking. Which would be hilarious, I'd love to see CEO smackdowns about golf.
I could care less if Tiger got run over by a golf cart driven by John Daly after a case.

anyways, why would you root for the greatest player of all-time in an individual sport? talk about a front-running existance.

guyincognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 03:00 AM
  #34
britdevil
Tea with milk...
 
britdevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Internets.
Posts: 19,220
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Uber View Post
He and Havlat went to the World Cup in Germany. He was a pretty good soccer player from what I've heard. He could have gone either way, but chose hockey.
Patty was better at hockey than he was at football. I'm pretty sure that if he had a time machine, he would go back and try to persuade his younger self to work harder at footie practice.

Horrible thought.

britdevil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 07:46 AM
  #35
Moe Syzlak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Rod Pelley -- Dane Cook
As if his terrible play wasn't reason enough to dislike Pelley.

Quote:
Colin White -- Tony Stewart
Shocker.

Moe Syzlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 07:53 AM
  #36
britdevil
Tea with milk...
 
britdevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Internets.
Posts: 19,220
vCash: 500
Peters, Mottau, Zubrus and Nieds want to meet Bono?

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.


britdevil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 08:44 AM
  #37
MoonDragn
Registered User
 
MoonDragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 9,122
vCash: 500
U2 is still pretty popular after all these years. Maybe one of em has guitar hero.

Makes sense with Clarkson and Rod Stewart too. They are both of Scottish descent.

Corrente: "I'll be back... In the lineup"

lol Pandolfo wants to meet Ali, cue the Rocky stereotypes...

MoonDragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 08:50 AM
  #38
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
we drafted a goalie?
 
Richer's Ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: photoshop labor camp
Country: United States
Posts: 50,334
vCash: 369
Nobody has said Marisa Miller?

for shame...

__________________

Q: How do you think the unthinkable?
A: With an itheberg.
Richer's Ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 09:20 AM
  #39
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
we drafted a goalie?
 
Richer's Ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: photoshop labor camp
Country: United States
Posts: 50,334
vCash: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyluc View Post
Johnny Oduya-- Nelson Mandela


I love getting these personal insights. I also loved that article when the Devils picked their dream concert. Trav Trav picked Woodstock.
He has a personal connection going back a few seasons...




Richer's Ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 11:44 AM
  #40
Mr.Krinkle
Hello there children
 
Mr.Krinkle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kitchen
Country: United States
Posts: 13,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
I could care less if Tiger got run over by a golf cart driven by John Daly after a case.

anyways, why would you root for the greatest player of all-time in an individual sport? talk about a front-running existance.
I've actually said that to them, "Are you guys crazy? He always *** wins, that's like rooting for the house in blackjack!"

Mr.Krinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 11:48 AM
  #41
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,512
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Krinkle View Post
I've actually said that to them, "Are you guys crazy? He always *** wins, that's like rooting for the house in blackjack!"
People like to back the winning horse, no matter what they actually think of him.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 12:11 PM
  #42
Ol Dirty Bstrd
Registered User
 
Ol Dirty Bstrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
People like to back the winning horse, no matter what they actually think of him.
How bout being able to respect the fact that he is so much better that any of his contemporaries at the sport of golf. I personally dont really give a **** about golf and I dont enjoy watching it. I have respect for golfers because of how terrible I am at it. If I had to pick a golfer that Id say I "cheer for", it would be Tiger, not because he wins all the time and I am a "frontrunner", but because I am absolutely astounded that one man can be that much better at a sport than everyone else who plays it.

Ol Dirty Bstrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 12:28 PM
  #43
Cowbell232
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,529
vCash: 500
A Choice By Choice Breakdown:

Quote:
Jamie Langenbrunner-- Barack Obama. "Because it means we just won the Cup. That's the only reason."
The consummate winner. Chooses because he wants to win the Cup. Awesome.

Quote:
Matt Corrente-- Arnold Schwarzenegger
Younger guy, must have liked Terminator, and it's a politician too. Sound choice.

Quote:
Martin Brodeur-- Tiger Woods
The adulterer avid golf fan wants to meet Tiger Woods? Shocker.

Quote:
David Clarkson-- Rod Stewart. "I'd like to chill with him, have a beer and listen to his story."
What. The. ****. Seriously? Clarkie's more bad ass then I thought. Anyone willing to admit it better be willing to back it up...good luck kid.

Quote:
Andrew Peters-- Bono or Bruce Springsteen
Huge musician, or the local vote. You're not a politician Peters, you don't need to make us like you. On the off chance he likes Springsteen, that's awesome.

Quote:
Mike Mottau-- Bono
I got nothing for this one. Not a big showing, and a safe pick. Kind of like his D?

Quote:
Brian Rolston-- Dalai Lama
This explains the lack of hitting and level-headed attitude, huh? Maybe he does Yoga too?

Quote:
Paul Martin-- Tiger Woods
That's just honest, Martin must like golf.

Quote:
Yann Danis-- Barack Obama
You're French-Canadian and you want to meet the American President? I don't get it. But I guess the dude's super famous.

Quote:
Zach Parise-- Tiger Woods or Phil Jackson
I don't get the Woods love, but Phil Jackson. Now that is a guy who wants to learn to lead.

Quote:
Johnny Oduya-- Nelson Mandela
Big shocker here. The African-Swede wants to meet Mandela?

Quote:
Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond-- George St. Pierre
Isn't PL3 a former MMA/Boxer guy? Of course he wants to meet the French-Canadian MMA leader...

Quote:
Colin White-- Tony Stewart
You're from Nova Scotia. Maybe that's where the rednecks of Canada come from?

Quote:
Andy Greene-- Barack Obama or any current president
Very American from Andy the Eagle.

Quote:
Ilkka Pikkarainen-- Barack Obama
This many people want to meet Obama? Really?

Quote:
Matt Halischuk-- Slash
I like this kid more and more all the time. Didn't go for the safe answer, but one no one is going to get on him for either.

Quote:
Niclas Bergfors-- Johnny Depp
I could see that. He looks like a movie guy.

Quote:
Dainius Zubrus-- The entire U2 band
See, there is a smart man. Why just Bono when you get the Edge and those other guys too?

Quote:
Bryce Salvador-- Lance Armstrong
I like this pick. Dedication through anything.

Quote:
Travis Zajac-- Tiger Woods
Really? I guess your good friends with Martin. Both are shy, too. Seem very similar from my point of view.

Quote:
Mark Fraser-- Barack Obama. "I've shaken his hand. I'm not even American but I shook his hand in Nashua, New Hampshire."
At least he knows he's not American.

Quote:
Cory Murphy-- Tiger Woods
And this is why your in the A.

Quote:
Rob Niedermayer-- Bono
Again with Bono. Couldn't go with Woods or Obama, huh?

Quote:
Jay Pandolfo-- Muhammad Ali
I like this pick too. He's the only one, and it's understandable, and different.

Quote:
Rod Pelley-- Dane Cook
"Rod, you know he's not really a comedian, he just repeats other people's lines".

"Oh. Well, I'm not really a hockey player, I just kind of go with other people too."

"Well, that's okay then. I guess..."

Quote:
Patrik Elias-- Lionel Messi
A soccer player. Shocker. That guy is either on ice or grass it seems.

Pause.

__________________
[size="1"]"Why I'll be a Devil forever [...] two words. Trust and respect." - Mr. Pat Burns
Cowbell232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 12:34 PM
  #44
Mr.Krinkle
Hello there children
 
Mr.Krinkle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kitchen
Country: United States
Posts: 13,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
People like to back the winning horse, no matter what they actually think of him.
Well I back the winning horse becuase I have 20 to WPS on him and a 10 EXB with the one runnin second

Mr.Krinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 12:41 PM
  #45
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus
 
Classic Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 34,200
vCash: 500
Awards:
Rolston is an interesting guy. Dalai Lama, really?

I wonder how that meshes with driving a Bentley...

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 12:50 PM
  #46
MasterofGrond
No, I'm not serious.
 
MasterofGrond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,635
vCash: 500
It's easy. Rolston got a Bentley so he could meditate more comfortably while driving.

MasterofGrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 01:18 PM
  #47
KidRobot
Registered User
 
KidRobot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NEW JERSEY
Country: Poland
Posts: 3,084
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to KidRobot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Krinkle View Post
I just don't like the fact they all picked Tiger because of his huge rip on hockey. F him and f his boring ass "sport". Oooh he smacked a ball, towards a hole, and he walked after it. Thrilling.
Have you ever played golf?

It's not a sport per say but it's a hard ****ing game I'll tell you that.

KidRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 01:28 PM
  #48
Mr.Krinkle
Hello there children
 
Mr.Krinkle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kitchen
Country: United States
Posts: 13,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidRobot View Post
Have you ever played golf?

It's not a sport per say but it's a hard ****ing game I'll tell you that.
I've played putt putt and gone to the range a few times. I do have Tigers game on the Wii, it's fun.

I know it's hard, not nearly as hard as hockey is though - so F him for ripping us like the classless d-bag he is.

Mr.Krinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 01:34 PM
  #49
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
we drafted a goalie?
 
Richer's Ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: photoshop labor camp
Country: United States
Posts: 50,334
vCash: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
Rolston is an interesting guy. Dalai Lama, really?

I wonder how that meshes with driving a Bentley...
He just wants total consciousness.

Quote:
A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a jock. So, I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald... striking. So, I'm on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one - big hitter, the Lama - long, into a ten-thousand foot crevasse, right at the base of this glacier. Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-lagunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Richer's Ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 02:20 PM
  #50
denverdevil
Registered User
 
denverdevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Denver, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 898
vCash: 500
Jamie's answer is perfect. I hope he gets his wish.

denverdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.