HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

We are #4... from behind

View Poll Results: Should the Rangers have a fire sale if they don't turn it around by the All Star brea
Yes 73 86.90%
No 11 13.10%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-13-2009, 12:11 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
We are #4... from behind

We are the 4th worst team in the league. Every single Western conference team is ahead of us in points.

We are just one point away from having the second overall pick. (Presuming the lottery doesn't change things.)

I know a lot of people think the goal of a team is to make the playoffs, but it's not. It's to win the Cup.

Instead of trying (likely unsuccessfully) to make the playoffs where we'll be knocked out in 4 or 5 games, I would rather have a fire sale and pick up a few second to fifth round picks, as well as a second overall pick and a #32 where you can pick someone you had rated as a first rounder.

Were that to happen, we would have the best crop of prospects in the league.

Many think that we can't possibly finish that low with Lundqvist. Really? We are there right now, more than 2 months into the season. Yes, we can finish that low.

I know it feels like cheating to some people, but nobody will remember that we sucked this year, they will just remember if we recovered or continued sucking.

Unless this team turns it around prior to the time of the All Star break (it's canceled, so let's use the nearest holiday: Martin Luther King Day on January 18), Slats should trade every asset who is 26 years old or older that he can possibly trade.

Prospal, Higgins, Kotalik, Brasheer should all fetch picks. I bet Rosie could be traded, even if it's for a 7th rounder.

Last edited by Beacon: 12-13-2009 at 12:27 PM.
Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 12:19 PM
The Perfect Paradox
On hiatus.

vCash: 50
Yes, we should. The Rangers aren't constructed to go far in the playoffs. Keep the parts that we can build around (Staal, Del Zotto, Gilroy, Cally, Dubi, Gaborik, Lundqvist, Anisimov and our best prospects) and trade the trash away. We're most likely not going to find a taker for Drury and Redden though.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 12:19 PM
Emptyvoid

I voted yes, but I was thinking more along the trade deadline.

If the team is still in the ******* by then....then go for the firesale.

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 12:22 PM
FLYLine24*

Well, since the next all star break is not until the next season since there is no all star game this year....i'm going to vote no. Thats too far away.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 12:25 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Well, since the next all star break is not until the next season since there is no all star game this year....i'm going to vote no. Thats too far away.
Oops, I forgot. Let's re-phrase it.

If the Rangers don't pick it up by Martin Luther King Day (January 18), should they have a fire sale?

Old
12-13-2009, 12:30 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

<--- see avatar

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 12:33 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
There is no All-Star break this year. But by the deadline i'm hoping we have another guy in there to make the moves that need to be made. I would have no problem giving Schoenfeld the interim job till the summer and see where we go from there. If he does a good job maybe we keep him till Mess is ready.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 12:38 PM
EmDeeZee4MVP

My opinion on this whole thing is like this:

We have seen teams many times struggle going into the all star break; closer to the bottom half of the standings in their conference, etc. We've seen many teams turn it on in the second half of the season and make a serious run at the playoffs down the stretch.

This team, as it is currently constructed, CAN play in Torts' system. You don't go on a dominating seven-game winning streak by mistake. What I'm saying is that there is something there. We don't need to go on a massive fire sale and go into panic mode 30 games into the season.

Its clear we need a complimentary scorer to Gaborik. I trust (yes I'm going to say it) that Sather will make a splash closer to the trade deadline that will help propel us. Even if we don't make any major moves, we have all seen this team play at their peak. Right now, their missing that edge, that hunger they had earlier in the season. If there is someone that can ignite that spark, its Torts. When they played well, they were a step ahead of their opposition, battling for the puck, positioning along the boards, rebounds, etc. The season is FAR from over, but at some point they have to rekindle their touch, no?

Last edited by EmDeeZee4MVP: 12-13-2009 at 12:44 PM.
EmDeeZee4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 12:46 PM
Garfinkel1

If we keep this pace we should definitley start the firesale. Prospal is going to get an amazing return with his low salary hit. 2nd rounder imo + decent prospect.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 12:58 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

When you know the Leafs are only 1 point behind us in the standings...than you definitely know that you suck

poeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 01:13 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

"You don't go on a dominating seven-game winning streak by mistake."

Without this streak, we'd be the worst team in the league right now.

Old
12-13-2009, 01:16 PM
EmDeeZee4MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
"You don't go on a dominating seven-game winning streak by mistake."

Without this streak, we'd be the worst team in the league right now.
And with another short winning streak, 6-8 more points ties us for 5th in the conference with the Bruins.

Old
12-13-2009, 01:22 PM
EmDeeZee4MVP

When the team was winning, everybody was firing on all cylinders. For us to win with the roster as it is currently constructed, we need to play one of two styles of hockey:

During our winning streak we were determined and played inspired hockey. We did this because every player on the roster, and I mean EVERY player on every line was flying to the puck. They made Torts' system look brilliant. We need either to rekindle that essence we once had, or because of our lack of scoring, we need to go back to Renney's defensive system. Knock him all you want, but he made the most out of what we had.

And oh by the way, we never missed the playoffs during his tenure.

Old
12-13-2009, 01:25 PM
msv957

Quote:
We are the 4th worst team in the league. Every single Western conference team is ahead of us in points.

We are just one point away from having the second overall pick. (Presuming the lottery doesn't change things.)

I know a lot of people think the goal of a team is to make the playoffs, but it's not. It's to win the Cup.

Instead of trying (likely unsuccessfully) to make the playoffs where we'll be knocked out in 4 or 5 games, I would rather have a fire sale and pick up a few second to fifth round picks, as well as a second overall pick and a #32 where you can pick someone you had rated as a first rounder.

Were that to happen, we would have the best crop of prospects in the league.

Many think that we can't possibly finish that low with Lundqvist. Really? We are there right now, more than 2 months into the season. Yes, we can finish that low.

I know it feels like cheating to some people, but nobody will remember that we sucked this year, they will just remember if we recovered or continued sucking.

Unless this team turns it around prior to the time of the All Star break (it's canceled, so let's use the nearest holiday: Martin Luther King Day on January 18), Slats should trade every asset who is 26 years old or older that he can possibly trade.

Prospal, Higgins, Kotalik, Brasheer should all fetch picks. I bet Rosie could be traded, even if it's for a 7th rounder.
This is crazy... All the Rangers have to go on is a 3 or 4 game winning streak and they are right in the playoff hunt again.. There is too much talent for this team to not be in the playoff hunt... Gaborik, Lundy, Prospal, Staal, Drury, Rozy, MDZ, Higgins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Avery, Redden.... This is a playoff team.... and will only be good experience for the young players...

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 01:27 PM
Loffen
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
When you know the Leafs are only 1 point behind us in the standings...than you definitely know that you suck
That is just SAD...

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 01:37 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Yes of course, I'd like the fire sale to start right now.

Obviously this team played some good hockey at the start of the season... But something happened and the coach has lost the team, this team looks exactly like it did when they quit on Renney last year.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 01:51 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
This is crazy... All the Rangers have to go on is a 3 or 4 game winning streak and they are right in the playoff hunt again.. There is too much talent for this team to not be in the playoff hunt... Gaborik, Lundy, Prospal, Staal, Drury, Rozy, MDZ, Higgins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Avery, Redden.... This is a playoff team.... and will only be good experience for the young players...
Great... so all we need is a winning streak just to ... have an outside chance to make the playoffs?

Who cares, I ask you? I don't care about seeing the Rangers make the playoffs and get whacked there in 4-5 games. Really, I don't. Some do, but I don't.

I'd rather get a star prospect with a top 3 pick and a few 2-7 round picks for the players we dump.

The goal is to win the Cup, not to barely make the playoffs and then get overwhelmed by a much better opponent.

Old
12-13-2009, 02:04 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Great... so all we need is a winning streak just to ... have an outside chance to make the playoffs?

Who cares, I ask you? I don't care about seeing the Rangers make the playoffs and get whacked there in 4-5 games. Really, I don't. Some do, but I don't.

I'd rather get a star prospect with a top 3 pick and a few 2-7 round picks for the players we dump.

The goal is to win the Cup, not to barely make the playoffs and then get overwhelmed by a much better opponent.
Much better opponent...there's not too many of those out there. In the East, I see only NJ and Pittsburgh as teams against whom we have no chance. Buffalo, Boston, and Washington are the only other teams that I may rate as definitively better.

Everyone else is in a big clump. Parity all around. While other teams may not have our scoring woes, they've got holes. Other teams are in slumps. It happens.

That being said, if this current pace keeps up, I still vote no on the fire-sale. We'd only have Gaborik for 4 more seasons; any prospects that we draft with our resulting picks wouldn't come up for 2-3 years after that, unless we get a Taylor Hall/Seguin (who we wouldn't get through a trade anyway). Lundqvist is too good to not try and surround him with talent. Further, if we don't, it's sayonara when he hits UFA status.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 02:08 PM
Entrancemperium

Quote:

THIS!

Entrancemperium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 02:26 PM
EmDeeZee4MVP

Quote:

A few reasons why the Rangers will not tank the season:

1) Dolan is planning on renovating MSG. Tanking the season and not making the playoffs will not help "solve" Dolan's problem of funding for this project. With the Knicks being borderline unwatchable, they need the Rangers to make the playoffs.

2) The Eastern Conference is WIDE OPEN. A small winning streak lands you in the 5th-7th slot. We've seen teams struggle, then turn it on right before the playoffs, get hot and make a strong run at the cup. We have two reasons why we can make a sufficient run in the playoffs.

a. A Goaltender you need to win a cup/or compete on a high level; he can take over games when he's on.
b. The elite, game-breaking forward needed to compete with the big boys.

3) For us to have any chance at drafting high enough to grab Hall or Seguin, we must go on a complete fire sale. This includes trading Redden and/or Drury to make cap room to sign Hall/Seguin. Who in their right minds would trade for those contracts? Otherwise, if we keep Redden/Drury and trade everybody else (Prospal, Higgins, Callahan, Dubinsky, etc.), true we will still create cap space needed to sign a high draft pick. However, essentially, trading away your entire supporting cast lands you where? Minus all the players mentioned above, do you really think we can compete with the Caps/Penguins/Devils, etc. with a mere combination of Gaborik and Hall/Senguin? Without a legit supporting cast, I don't think so.

Last edited by EmDeeZee4MVP: 12-13-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Old
12-13-2009, 02:38 PM
D713B

These doomsday threads are getting incredibly redundant.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 02:44 PM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

The GOAL is to win the STANLEY CUP!

This team is barely able to contend for a playoff spot, let alone contend for the cup.

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 02:47 PM
pwoz

Dolan will do anything to get $ from just two home playoff games. This franchise is doomed.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 02:53 PM
Cermi

Great news! Let's hope no one will pick his game up and we will achieve our main goal - get Hall!!!

Cermi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 03:03 PM
Ih8theislanders

Is Hall a playmaker or sniper?

Who's the best playmaker in this draft?

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote