HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Kristian Huselius for Michal Rozsival

Old
01-15-2010, 11:57 AM
CapnCornelius

vCash: 500
Kristian Huselius for Michal Rozsival

Jackets fan, curious as to whether a deal based around Huselius for Rozsival might work.

Juice doesn't really fit our team's style of play, but he's still managed to put up 33 points while many of our other players are struggling.

We could use a veteran defenseman like Rozsival, even if he's imperfect. We've had to rely way to much on guys like Anton Stralman and Mathieu Roy because of Rusty Klesla's recurring injury problems and Mike Commodore's recurring conditioning problems.

Salaries are comparable (Juice is slightly cheaper), but Huselius has one additional year on his deal beyond Rozsival's.

Thoughts?

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 11:59 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Jackets fan, curious as to whether a deal based around Huselius for Rozsival might work.

Juice doesn't really fit our team's style of play, but he's still managed to put up 33 points while many of our other players are struggling.

We could use a veteran defenseman like Rozsival, even if he's imperfect. We've had to rely way to much on guys like Anton Stralman and Mathieu Roy because of Rusty Klesla's recurring injury problems and Mike Commodore's recurring conditioning problems.

Salaries are comparable (Juice is slightly cheaper), but Huselius has one additional year on his deal beyond Rozsival's.

Thoughts?
Do you plan on speaking to the Jackets' GM if we agree to the terms?

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:02 PM
NYR MacTruck

sure, id do it. smaller cap hit and anything is an improvement from rozsival

NYR MacTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:03 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
Do you plan on speaking to the Jackets' GM if we agree to the terms?
If the Jackets GM listened to me, Ken Hitchcock wouldn't be our coach.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:07 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
No thank you. Any deal longer than Rozsival's would be a no.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:14 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
No thank you. Any deal longer than Rozsival's would be a no.
Yeah. I'm not looking to add years on contracts for under-performing players. If we ship out Rozsival, I want it to be in a deal for someone legit (unlikely) or a salary dump.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:17 PM
ecemleafs

the point of moving rozsival is to free up cap space which could be used to get better players and resign our young players.....not just a swap of overpaid players hoping something changes for both players.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:22 PM
GAGLine

Actually, Huselius only has 2 years left, same as Rozsival. I still wouldn't do it though. We already have 2 rookies on defense and we could use Rozy's money in the offseason to resign Staal and Girardi. Hopefully we can find a buyer at the draft.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:23 PM
NYR Viper

Not a bad idea, what about Redden + Sauer for Huselius + Torres/Modin

Salaries work out this year and the Rangers make some room on defense for McDonagh or Sangs next season while also clearing some cap room.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:38 PM
FLYLine24*

I would do this in a second.

Huselius and Rozy contracts end the same time, and Huselius is little cheaper. We are getting rid of Rozy and adding a pretty decent offensive player. For a team struggling to find goals, why wouldn't we want to add a 2nd line winger? His 14 goals and 33 points would be second on the team.

This would also allow us to bring up a dman from the AHL to get a fair shot.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:41 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
the point of moving rozsival is to free up cap space which could be used to get better players and resign our young players.....not just a swap of overpaid players hoping something changes for both players.
Nobody is going to just take Rozy off our hands to free up our cap. Lets not forget how bad he's been for most of the season and GMs know this.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
I would do this in a second.

Huselius and Rozy contracts end the same time, and Huselius is little cheaper. We are getting rid of Rozy and adding a pretty decent offensive player. For a team struggling to find goals, why wouldn't we want to add a 2nd line winger? His 14 goals and 33 points would be second on the team.

This would also allow us to bring up a dman from the AHL to get a fair shot.
The trade makes more sense now that I know the deals expire at the same time. I've never been enamored with Huselius, but I'd at least consider it now.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
This trade would be beneficial for us next season, but detrimental for us this season. So I dont take huge issue with it. Seems like an okay fit actually. Rangers might have to add a mid level pick though.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:42 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
The trade makes more sense now that I know the deals expire at the same time. I've never been enamored with Huselius, but I'd at least consider it now.
Agreed.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:49 PM
NYR Viper

Huselius is a pretty good playmaking winger and I would imagine he would easier to move in the offseason than Rozsival would be if it came to that. I would make that deal and possibly look for a #6 d-man at the deadline for cheap to fill the hole for the rest of the season.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 01:02 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Absolutely.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 01:30 PM
pwoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post

Thoughts?
Yes, and I'll take you out to a steak dinner if you take Rozsival off this team.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 01:30 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

I'd probably do it. I liked Huselius as an option when he went to free agency, but he's been kind of hit or miss in Columbus. He might do better in a Tortorella system as opposed to Hitchcocks.

That being said, based on the timing, I think this deal might make more sense if it was a 2 for 2. I.e: We send Rozy and Higgins for Huselius + 5/6 d-man on an expiring contract. Jurcina would be ideal for us right now, but I doubt he'd be available.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 01:38 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Absolutely.
This. I would make this trade in 0.05 seconds. Huselius immediately makes an impact on the Rangers offense, wheras Roszival could be "replaced" from within by a rookie. Obviously it hurts us defensively slightly, but in the future it's really not that big of a deal. Plus Huselius would be an easy trade at the deadline in a year or so.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 01:44 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

I'd be in favor of it.

Even though we're desperate for some offense, I'm not sure Tortorella would want to do it.

He didn't seem too confident in either Heikkinen or Sanguinetti at this point and though the terms been used as a joke I don't think Huselius is a Torts' "type of guy".

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 01:50 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

I would have to say ok to this one.

Hits and term are relatively the same, but this team needs offense and Huselius would help supply a little more of that. A concern would be defense obviously as Rozy takes a big chunk of time per game, but its not like the Rangers have gotten consistent performance out of him and hes had plenty of time to prove that.

I have to say though that Rozy is a gamer, and has played well in the playoff games and in big games like the Devils game on Tuesday. It seems as if if hes on the Rangers most likely play well and when hes off, they suck. He is a very influential player on this team whether you like it or not - so I'm not sure if the coach and GM would go for something like this.

But, that really has nothing to do with the Rangers issues on a whole and i think as a Rangers fan you would have to make this deal with the future in mind. I think it would be an upgrade to the team once Rozys position was filled again, this time with the right player and cap hit.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 02:22 PM
GAGLine

Value-wise I like the deal, but there are some concerns when you consider how this would impact us this year and next.

1) We replace Rozy with Heikkenin, Sauer or Sanguinetti, weakening our defense
2) We have to bring up yet another rookie in case of injury or poor performance
3) I believe Rozy is targetted to be traded in the offseason to free up money to resign Staal and Girardi. This trade would leave us with little cap space since we would likely not trade Huselius in the offseason.

Now, to point 3, I believe that Rozy can be traded this offseason. Whatever his deficiencies, he's still a top 4 dman. The fact that he has a high cap hit won't matter to cash-poor teams since his actual pay will only be 4 and 3 million for the last 2 years of his deal.

We likely won't be able to clear the entire 5 mil...something will be coming back...but it should be enough to give raises to Staal and Girardi.

If we are going to trade Rozy before the deadline, I'd rather it be for an expiring contract.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 02:38 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

No way.

Rozsival is due $7 million over the next two seasons. Huselius is due $9.5 million over the same period.

In the summer,some team which missed out on landing a free agent defenseman will be in the market for a defenseman. A budget team. Not a cap team. $4 million and $3 million in salaries are what they care about and not the cap #.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 02:40 PM
pete3589

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
This. I would make this trade in 0.05 seconds. Huselius immediately makes an impact on the Rangers offense, wheras Roszival could be "replaced" from within by a rookie. Obviously it hurts us defensively slightly, but in the future it's really not that big of a deal. Plus Huselius would be an easy trade at the deadline in a year or so.
This.

We do this because not only is it a slight cap relief, we get a bit more offense, andit allows a younger player to rotate in on defense.

Not to mention, I feel that Huselius is a much better bargaining chip than Rozsival if we need to move him.

pete3589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 02:53 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
What rookie is ready to play 20+ minutes a night providing solid play? And lets not let the misguided bashers of the guy stink up this thread, Roszival has been playing very good hockey for over a month now. In fact, hes been our second best defenseman behind Staal. Thats not easily replaceable.

But I digress, I like Huselius a lot and would have liked to seen the Ranger make a run at him a year and a half ago. Hes a good player, but his contract is a bit inflated. Id be on the fence about this one.

Roszival is increasing his trade value every game nowadays. In the offseason, the Rangers should be able to unload him with minimal salary coming back...that should be plan #1.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote