HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Captain K vs. Gomez

Old
12-17-2009, 11:13 PM
Clumsyhab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habdynasty View Post
The only real important stat is Gomez 2 cups Koivu 0 cups, thats all anyone will remember in the future
But I think if you mention Gomez name in a couple of years, most people will sadly remember him as one of the most overpaid Hockey player in recent history and will remember Koivu as one of the most hard working courageous hockey player.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 11:15 PM
habdynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
But I think if you mention Gomez name in a couple of years, most people will sadly remember him as one of the most overpaid Hockey player in recent history.
true but his name is on the cup,, that is the most important thing to every hockey player. Koivu was a good player , its too bad his ducks are in last place this year. What the hell happened to that team?

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 05:45 AM
LastChancePrice

Lets wait for the return of Gionta to make any judgment, but i said this season that Gomez would get around 50 points and you know what, im really not sure about that...

So far..he stink, seriously. I liked him the first 10 games he played, but now...he doesnt impress me at all...

LastChancePrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 08:54 AM
BeerHell

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Also, Saku never needed anyone to produce. He'd make terrible players produce.

But what's going to happen here is people justifying Gomez because of Cammalleri, and possibly Gionta.
Never needed anyone? he has been playing all season long with Selanne and Lupul...on the 2nd line all season, and still he only has 2 point more than horrendous terrible bad Gomez? who played against top opposition for a major part of the season, and hasn't played with someone able to put it in the net for a couple of weeks now. Sure Saku is so grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre2112 View Post
Who cares if Gionta and Cammalleri came here because of Gomez. All 3 are smurfs, and make our team incredibly easy to play against... just like we have been hard pressed against tougher teams throughout the years with a smallish lineup.

I couldn't care less about Cammalleri and Gionta. None are game breakers. They're good secondary scorers and would compliment a real hockey player like Iginla or Parise, but on their own, they're not good enough to be game breakers.

They were the wrong players to acquire. We didn't need players of their ilk. Especially Gomez. Now we're stuck with them for a long time with little hope of change.

Yay to another 4-5 years of mediocrity.
Sure...and who would you suggest we should have acquired. who were these big UFA available?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Vomitsarek View Post
true...but u catch my drift....

we could have had a real impact player. the rangers ditch gomez and sign gaborik to nearly the same amount

life is not fair.

im sick of this good damn team. Cammy, Pleks, A Kost (recenly), Moen and Hamrlik are the only ones earning their salaries

the rest are mostly underachievers. especially our crappy ass defense.
what? no Gionta no Markov? at elast Gionta was earning it before his injury

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlemsFinest View Post
we should remind ourselves though that just because player so-and-so signed to whatever team for X amount, it doesn't mean that a) they would ever want to play here b)that the team didn't try to get the best out there. c)(valuable)players again, have all the options on july 1st.

we're about 2 moves from being a really solid team. or maybe a pouliot breakout season miracle. ?
Markov's return & Gionta's return that'S two big moves

BeerHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 09:14 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHfan4ever View Post
Lets wait for the return of Gionta to make any judgment, but i said this season that Gomez would get around 50 points and you know what, im really not sure about that...

So far..he stink, seriously. I liked him the first 10 games he played, but now...he doesnt impress me at all...
he did start out playing well, his injury, Gionta's injury....he hasn't been the same player.......time for JM and BG to have some one on one's with the supposed big boys on this club.....Gomez has been skating, but nothing seems to materialize...the whole team except Pleks line can be accused of that I guess...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 09:56 AM
BJG

Saku

BJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 09:57 AM
BJG

Oh, I forgot to mention...

Koivu

Old
12-18-2009, 10:00 AM
BJG

One last thing...

Old
12-18-2009, 10:10 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerHell View Post
Never needed anyone? he has been playing all season long with Selanne and Lupul...on the 2nd line all season, and still he only has 2 point more than horrendous terrible bad Gomez? who played against top opposition for a major part of the season, and hasn't played with someone able to put it in the net for a couple of weeks now. Sure Saku is so grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat.
Selanne is 100 years old now.

Saku's far from great but Gomez really hasn't been any better.
Quote:
Sure...and who would you suggest we should have acquired. who were these big UFA available?
How about nobody? It would've been better than signing Gomez. Plus all we had to do was stick with Koivu. We still wouldn't be winning but at least we wouldn't be stuck with a terrible contract.

Instead Gainey went for a quick fix designed to fight for last place.
Quote:
what? no Gionta no Markov? at elast Gionta was earning it before his injury
Not really. Gionta is an okay player and there's no doubt that we miss him. Ditto with Markov. That said, this team still isn't great even with those guys.

And to be honest, our record should be a lot worse than it is. Price has been great and stolen some games for us.
Quote:
Markov's return & Gionta's return that'S two big moves
Hooray, let's fight for 8th and a first round exit.

Quote:
true but his name is on the cup,, that is the most important thing to every hockey player. Koivu was a good player , its too bad his ducks are in last place this year. What the hell happened to that team?
Gilbert Dionne's name is on the cup. That doesn't mean he'll be remembered as a better player than his brother.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 12-18-2009 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Merge
Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 10:21 AM
smon

Quote:
Hey genius, he's been playing with Dan Sexton (yeah, bet didn't you even know this guy is an NHLer) and Bobby Ryan and he's actually picked up his points pace with those two. Selanne has been injured for quite some time, as has Lupul.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 10:43 AM
BeerHell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post

Ok and what proof do you have that Koivu would have been as good as he is in Anaheim playing on the Habs?

How about nobody? It would've been better than signing Gomez. Plus all we had to do was stick with Koivu. We still wouldn't be winning but at least we wouldn't be stuck with a terrible contract.

Nobody?
so a first line of Higgins - Koivu - ? MaxPAc? D'ago?
second line of SK - Plek - AK
third line of ? - lappy - Latendresse
fourth line of ? - Metro - Laraques...
sure is better then bad contract...

So on september 30th you said to your mom and dad...hmmmm this season with this team we are fighting for last place at best???

Not really. Gionta is an okay player and there's no doubt that we miss him. Ditto with Markov. That said, this team still isn't great even with those guys.

Gionta is okay...being on par for 34 goals 21 assists is only okay. but Markov is an okay player????

And to be honest, our record should be a lot worse than it is. Price has been great and stolen some games for us.

No you are right we should go for Hall or seguin then next year we are cup contenders for sure...oups but what happens when we are not another year of tanking?
Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
Hey genius, he's been playing with Dan Sexton (yeah, bet didn't you even know this guy is an NHLer) and Bobby Ryan and he's actually picked up his points pace with those two. Selanne has been injured for quite some time, as has Lupul.
hey smart guy, Lupul has missed 9 days and Selanne 2 weeks. how long as Gionta's been out...plus Bobby Ryan...isn't he better then most our rookies yeah exactly what I tought he is better then whatever Gomez has been playing with since Gionta's injury. Plus Koivu has scored 7 of his 18 points in the last 5 games...all of them since he started playing with Ryan. so maybe he does need someone to produce... just saying that I'm not sure Koivu would have better numbers than Gomez if he played here this season.

BeerHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 11:04 AM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
Quote:
hey smart guy, Lupul has missed 9 days and Selanne 2 weeks. how long as Gionta's been out...plus Bobby Ryan...isn't he better then most our rookies yeah exactly what I tought he is better then whatever Gomez has been playing with since Gionta's injury. Plus Koivu has scored 7 of his 18 points in the last 5 games...all of them since he started playing with Ryan. so maybe he does need someone to produce... just saying that I'm not sure Koivu would have better numbers than Gomez if he played here this season.
indeed about koivu, but even when gomez was playing with cammy and gionta, he was like at .6 ppg lol and almost twice money, the problem, anyway isnt about Koivu vs Gomez its about 4.5M and 8.0M and about 17pts vs what should be around 35 more pts at least with 8.0m (putting names aside)

Crusher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 02:01 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Ok and what proof do you have that Koivu would have been as good as he is in Anaheim playing on the Habs?
For one thing, all he'd have to be is as good as he was last year and we'd still be better off.

Quote:
Nobody?
so a first line of Higgins - Koivu - ? MaxPAc? D'ago?
second line of SK - Plek - AK
third line of ? - lappy - Latendresse
fourth line of ? - Metro - Laraques...
sure is better then bad contract...
Absolutely it is. As it stands we still aren't going to make the playoffs and even if we do, we aren't going anywhere. Why commit ourselves for 4 years to a guy coming off a 58 point season for more money than God?

Quote:
So on september 30th you said to your mom and dad...hmmmm this season with this team we are fighting for last place at best???
I'm going to refrain from the momma jokes...

This team is a bubble team at best and yes, that's exactly what I said. We'd be fighting for a playoff spot and not much else. BTW, pretty much every analyst shared this opinion, its not like this was any big surprise. If anything, we've played worse than I thought we would and so has Gomez.
Quote:
Gionta is okay...being on par for 34 goals 21 assists is only okay. but Markov is an okay player????
Brian Gionta was in a slump when he went down to injury. Calling him a 35 goal scorer is probably wishful thinking, esp considering he has been more like a 20 goal scorer for most of his career. He's like Michael Ryder, a decent sniper but he's not going to scare anyone.

Other teams have players just like him, Mike Knuble, Guerin etc... Except some of those teams have actual superstars like OV on their roster to go along with them.

Markov is great. But he's not a superstar either. Most teams have at least one player that's at least as good as he is. Some have more.
Quote:
No you are right we should go for Hall or seguin then next year we are cup contenders for sure...oups but what happens when we are not another year of tanking?
Now you're getting it.

This isn't XBOX NHL10 where you can just pick up Sid Crosby off of waivers. It takes more than one year to build a winner. You invest in youth and you plan longterm.

You make a plan that's designed for the long term. You don't say to yourself: "Hmmm... Scott Gomez isn't great but his contract is horrible and I bet I could get him from the Rangers. He's the best available so, I guess I'll just go pick him up. And while I'm at it, I'll give up one of my best prospects." That's not the way to build a winning team.
Quote:
He wouldn't have to be better. He'd just have to provide what he did last year. Either way, we'd be no better or worse off except that we wouldn't be stuck with this terrible contract.

Old
12-18-2009, 02:18 PM
One Trick Pony

Quote:

You clearly didn't witness the Habs from 2000 till now.. Saku played with so many bad players and still managed 60+ pt/season or less if he got injured..
And saku right now is playing with Ryan and Sexton, 2 rookies and he's playing even better than with Selanne. Don't tell me he's only good because of Sexton..

One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 02:22 PM
habdynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post

Gilbert Dionne's name is on the cup. That doesn't mean he'll be remembered as a better player than his brother.

Ya no kidding , I dont think I said Gomez is better than Koivu.... Marcel was a superstar something Koivu or Gomez will never be.

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 02:24 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
[/B]

Ya no kidding , I dont think I said Gomez is better than Koivu.... Marcel was a superstar something Koivu or Gomez will never be.
Oh I know. Just pointing that out for the poster who used the argument.

Old
12-18-2009, 03:13 PM
Corey

If the Habs could trade Gomez for S. Koivu right now, I'd do it. It's not that I'd expect Koivu to accomplish more (although Gomez hasn't accomplished the expected miracles in Montréal). The main reason would be to shed Gomez's longer, more expensive contract and free up money to go after someone else who's better than both of them.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 03:26 PM
Paul Dipietro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
If the Habs could trade Gomez for S. Koivu right now, I'd do it. It's not that I'd expect Koivu to accomplish more (although Gomez hasn't accomplished the expected miracles in Montréal). The main reason would be to shed Gomez's longer, more expensive contract and free up money to go after someone else who's better than both of them.
Don't forget the added bonus of being able to blame a single person (Koivu) for the Habs' ongoing failure to win a cup. Would make all our lives much easier

Paul Dipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 03:32 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1907
All I have to say.
Dandenault: 3 cups playing for Hartford
Koivu: None, 2nd line NHL center.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 09:51 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Vomitsarek View Post
Saku: 28GP. 6G, 12A, 18PTS, +3, 18:35 avg ice time, 52% faceoffs, 2 gwg, $3,250,000

Gomez: 31gp, 4g, 12a, 16pts, -2, 20:09 avg ice time, 50.2% faceoffs, 1 gwg, $8,000,000

not to mention saku was the heart and soul of this team, and in my eyes he belongs with the other hab greats...he should have been there for the 100th. longest serving captain in gabs history and this done in UFA era.

i dont get it bob...i just dont get it.
Mikhail Grabovski 35gp 7g 16a 23 pts -1

i dont get it bob...i just dont get it

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 10:12 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Let's see, would I rather still have the franchise's possible longest serving captain playing on the 2nd, 3rd or, god forbid, 4th line with players that have struggled so far without him this year (D'Ago, Latendresse for example) at 3.25M rather than Gomez at 7.36M?

Yes.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 10:36 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
The only real important stat is Gomez 2 cups Koivu 0 cups, thats all anyone will remember in the future
I have bought one jersy in my life with a name on the back, that is Koivus. Many years after we have rid ourselves of the **** sack that is Gomez that jersy will still be here.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 10:39 PM
OneCupTwoFour

Quote:
Koivu was a good player , its too bad his ducks are in last place this year. What the hell happened to that team?
Brian Burke left...

OneCupTwoFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 10:42 PM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

It would have been nice to see Koivu playing with a top caliber winger like Cammalleri or Gionta this year.....but oh, that's right they wouldn't be here without the Gomez signing.

Nashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 10:50 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
. Koivu was a good player , its too bad his ducks are in last place this year. What the hell happened to that team?
Montreal is actually worse than Anaheim. Factor in Conference difficulty and i would say they are much worse compared to the Ducks.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote