HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Halpern to Vancouver

Old
01-13-2010, 02:33 PM
Reign Nateo

vCash: 500
Been looking at Halpern for a while. Would be a great fit on this team. I would offer Shirokov myself. Waive Wellwood and make this move once/if Tampa is out of the race.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 02:42 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
A 1st that will likely be in the 20-30 range in a rather weak draft after the top 5, arguably top 10, for a player that can be a vital cog on a shutdown 3rd line, chip in some offense in that role or if needed play in the top 6, be a veteran leader in the locker room and is a great team guy. I don't think it's that much of a stretch to be honest.

And really him bring a UFA at years end means nothing. That's what most players that are moved on deadline day are.
Could you name more than one? Only one 1st rounder was moved last year, and it wasn't for a 3rd line forward.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 08:38 PM
Bolt32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Could you name more than one? Only one 1st rounder was moved last year, and it wasn't for a 3rd line forward.
What package would it take with Halpern to get Schroader from you guys? Big fan of his.

Halpern +?

Bolt32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 10:10 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Reread what I typed. Especially the part you bolded.

IdealisticSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 12:23 AM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
Reread what I typed. Especially the part you bolded.
Example,no 3 line center UFA will get a 1 st,2 nd and a prospect at best.

Horvat2Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 05:13 AM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Canuck View Post
Example,no 3 line center UFA will get a 1 st,2 nd and a prospect at best.
What he was saying is most players who are moved are UFAs at seasons end, that is why they are rentals and so that doesnt really diminish his value as most players traded for on deadline day by playoff teams are rentals.

He wasnt saying anything about 1st round picks. Personally if you want Halpern I would ask for your 1st round pick, with the Lightning adding a low round pick. Because Halpern sounds like a perfect fit, and recently his scoring touch has come back (lost it after his WC injury).

Halpern+sharks 4th for Vancouvers 1st??

Last edited by bassassin: 01-14-2010 at 06:10 AM.
bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 07:29 AM
pampatus

Halpern won't get Bolts a 1st from any team. No matter what picks could move back to the other team (2nd coming back might do it if it's a tight race, but I doubt TB is willing to do that kind of trade)

pampatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 07:35 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
What he was saying is most players who are moved are UFAs at seasons end, that is why they are rentals and so that doesnt really diminish his value as most players traded for on deadline day by playoff teams are rentals.

He wasnt saying anything about 1st round picks. Personally if you want Halpern I would ask for your 1st round pick, with the Lightning adding a low round pick. Because Halpern sounds like a perfect fit, and recently his scoring touch has come back (lost it after his WC injury).

Halpern+sharks 4th for Vancouvers 1st??
sorry, but there's no way in HELL that I'd deal a 1st rounder for Halpern. That's just ridiculous.

When was a 3rd line rental player EVER dealt for a 1st rounder - even if you add a low pick on the other end?

Dominic Moore was dealt last season for a 2nd rounder... he was a 3rd line player playing a 2nd line role. At the time of the trade he was on pace for 53 pts, while being a solid PK and faceoff player... he was having his best year in his career at the time.

Halpern is having a tough year, on pace for 28 points. He's had injury issues, and hasn't been near the player he was in his best years.

There is no team in the league that is going to give you a 1st round pick for him.

For the Canucks, Halpern is one of the 5 UFA centers on non-playoff teams I'd be interested in... but he's hardly the best choice - I'd take Belanger well before him, and there's no way I'd give up a 1st for him either.

Teams that add deadline players don't give up 1st round picks for 3rd liners or bottom pairing dmen... those types of picks are always for the top rentals in the market... I could see a team offering a 1st+ for Niedermayer, or Kubina, and definitely for Kovalchuk.

But for Halpern? you're dreaming... no team is going to give up a 1st rounder for Cullen - and right now, he's twice the player that Halpern is.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 07:41 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt32 View Post
What package would it take with Halpern to get Schroader from you guys? Big fan of his.

Halpern +?
the Canucks would need a young player that is not waiver eligible that can develop in the system, in return if they're adding Schroeder.

Their lineup already has enough bodies... if you're moving a good prospect like him, I'd want to add some depth to the defensive system in Vancouver... so a prospect like Wishart or Mihalik.

Gillis also has stated he will not move top prospects or top picks for rental players, and hasn't acquired a rental player to date... so unless there's some longterm value coming back, don't expect Schroeder to be dealt.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 10:47 AM
Bolt32

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
the Canucks would need a young player that is not waiver eligible that can develop in the system, in return if they're adding Schroeder.

Their lineup already has enough bodies... if you're moving a good prospect like him, I'd want to add some depth to the defensive system in Vancouver... so a prospect like Wishart or Mihalik.

Gillis also has stated he will not move top prospects or top picks for rental players, and hasn't acquired a rental player to date... so unless there's some longterm value coming back, don't expect Schroeder to be dealt.
I would do Halpern and Mihalik for Schroeder....even add a conditional pick in case halpern doesn't resign, though I'm pretty positive he would.

Bolt32 is offline   Reply With Quote