HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Coyotes @ Blue Jackets (12/17/09)

Old
12-18-2009, 03:01 AM
BuddehJuS

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BuddehJuS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
He played last season like a fat, lazy sissy. This season, he's improved to just playing like a sissy. Neither approach has yielded any positive results for him, to this point. He has now had one hundred Downey Soft games in a row. Let's not get too worked up when Tippett decides it's time for the princess to take a little break for a while. Even if you take the goals and the fights out of the equation, I've honestly come to the conclusion that Paul Bissonnette has been the more effective hockey player of the two, this season. At least Bissonnette can cause turn overs, clear his own zone, and win battles along the boards. What can Pete do? Seriously, what does he contribute? What positives has he brought to the team in his last one hundred games played?
Name calling aside, I'm not sure how many games you've watched this season, but Mueller is the most "skilled" player on the ice for us and can be quite entertaining to watch as well. Last year, was rough for him we can all admit that, but at the same time, are we going to hold it against forever? The guy is getting chances constantly and setting others up with great heads up plays that I don't think warrants him constantly being scratched.I just don't believe that a player who was coming around like Mueller should be scratched like he has. As far as soft, he's working on it but can only do so much from the damn pressbox. Also, when he was tearing it up as a rookie, who complained about his physicality? Think about it. I understand the bandwagon is to bash on Mueller and that's fine, to each their own, but I'm ready at this point to trade him. I know you can't account much for an intangible like potential, but he simply has too much to not be playing. Over the last hundred games? 42 points. Not bad considering battling through a concussion and diminished ice time this season. As far as Biznasty, the guy does well for what he does, and I appreciate having him on the team but he's a different kind of player and will have a different impact on a team. Also, I'm not saying he should automatically be the one scratched, Korpikoski could also be another option. But, it's 4 am and I need sleep! Lol.

BuddehJuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 03:40 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddehJuS View Post
Name calling aside, I'm not sure how many games you've watched this season, but Mueller is the most "skilled" player on the ice for us and can be quite entertaining to watch as well. Last year, was rough for him we can all admit that, but at the same time, are we going to hold it against forever? The guy is getting chances constantly and setting others up with great heads up plays that I don't think warrants him constantly being scratched.I just don't believe that a player who was coming around like Mueller should be scratched like he has. As far as soft, he's working on it but can only do so much from the damn pressbox. Also, when he was tearing it up as a rookie, who complained about his physicality? Think about it. I understand the bandwagon is to bash on Mueller and that's fine, to each their own, but I'm ready at this point to trade him. I know you can't account much for an intangible like potential, but he simply has too much to not be playing. Over the last hundred games? 42 points. Not bad considering battling through a concussion and diminished ice time this season. As far as Biznasty, the guy does well for what he does, and I appreciate having him on the team but he's a different kind of player and will have a different impact on a team. Also, I'm not saying he should automatically be the one scratched, Korpikoski could also be another option. But, it's 4 am and I need sleep! Lol.
There is no point debating with rt at this point, once he's fixated on not liking a certain players game that's pretty much it. What we can hope for though is that he'll be as right about Pete as he was about Jovo.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 04:01 AM
XX
... Waiting

Biz got to play in front of his father for the 1st time in Toronto, so Mueller sat. Biz happened to play well, and so he earned another game. I expect him back against the Ducks. Then again, the Ducks ice some tough guys.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 04:19 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX View Post
Biz got to play in front of his father for the 1st time in Toronto, so Mueller sat. Biz happened to play well, and so he earned another game. I expect him back against the Ducks. Then again, the Ducks ice some tough guys.
I was under the assumption he played because Boll was dressing for the BJ's.

Old
12-18-2009, 09:52 AM
krepitch
Coyote Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX View Post
West is just insane this year. From 11th place up (the Wild) you could argue they are all legit playoff teams.
Going into the Dallas game on 11/27, we were in ninth place. After going 8-1-1, we skyrocketed all the way up to...sixth. Crazy tough conference.

We're three points out of the 8 spot...and three points out of the 1 spot. The strength of the conference makes the Coyotes effort this season even more impressive.

krepitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 10:26 AM
Chootoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by krepitch View Post
Going into the Dallas game on 11/27, we were in ninth place. After going 8-1-1, we skyrocketed all the way up to...sixth. Crazy tough conference.

We're three points out of the 8 spot...and three points out of the 1 spot. The strength of the conference makes the Coyotes effort this season even more impressive.
Since the lockout, the 8th seed has averaged 93 points to make it in the West. based on our current totals we would need 49 pts in our final 47 games to achieve that. That's only just slightly above .500 hockey.

While that sure looks promising, we have to remember that the season isn't even half over yet, and I just can't help but remember that we were 5th in the west at the all-star break last year before **** hit the fan, so anything can happen. You have to appreciate the determination in this team though. They don't pack it in for anyone, contrary to teams past. Thank you coach Tipper.

Chootoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 11:16 AM
yakko

I'm about to start throwing things at my DirecTV DVR. It decided to record all of 1 min of this game.

Can anyone expand on what kind of sloppy game this was? Did the Coyotes play their normal game without the puck at least? The Coyotes game with the puck is sloppy as often as it isn't.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 11:29 AM
CitizenCoyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
Can anyone expand on what kind of sloppy game this was? Did the Coyotes play their normal game without the puck at least? The Coyotes game with the puck is sloppy as often as it isn't.
It was a game played mostly inside the blue lines of both teams, with each team tending to generate sustained pressure, when they could, with the forecheck. Neither side made very crisp passes the whole night. The Coyotes played very well in the first ten minutes, with sustained forechecking pressure in the Jackets' end, but after that first ten minutes, the ice was heavily tilted the other way for much of the game.

Basically, the yotes were just a step slower than the Jackets in their defensive end for much of the night. The did a good job of keeping the front of the net clear. Many of the Jackets' best opportunities and their ability to draw penalties came on the forecheck. Coyotes looked tired. Michalek was solid in clearing the zone. Jovo made a few characteristic turnovers. Jackets had more solid goal scoring chances than the Coyotes. Barbs was great. They did get lucky a few times too, with a few pucks getting through Barbs, but rolling just wide of the post. A few deflections that could have been goals, that just missed too. And one glorious chance that Huselius (I think) simply jerked 4 feet over the cross bar by trying to pick a perfect spot instead of blasting it on goal.

Coyotes backchecking was very good and kept the game close.

Coyotes did ok on the counter attack and had a few chances to tack on a goal, but the game was more about the Jackets' failures to score than the Coyotes doing anything great. Doan in particular had a great chance from the slot. They were tired, though. Jackets got their goal on a broken play on the power play -- Nash was in a perfect spot. Last 10 minutes was significant sustained pressure by the Jackets, but the Coyotes got lucky in that there was a period of several minutes without a whistle that got them to overtime. Jackets ended the game on the power play, and should have won it during the 4 on 3 in the overtime. They missed a chance right on the doorstep on a perfect pass by Nash -- the kind of play that results in a goal about 90 percent of the time. But Barbs stole the save and the extra point.

CitizenCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 11:32 AM
yakko

Thanks!

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 12:29 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Quote:
I'm not sure how many games you've watched this season, but Mueller is the most "skilled" player on the ice for us and can be quite entertaining to watch as well. Last year, was rough for him we can all admit that, but at the same time, are we going to hold it against forever? The guy is getting chances constantly and setting others up with great heads up plays that I don't think warrants him constantly being scratched.I just don't believe that a player who was coming around like Mueller should be scratched like he has. As far as soft, he's working on it but can only do so much from the damn pressbox. Also, when he was tearing it up as a rookie, who complained about his physicality? Think about it. I understand the bandwagon is to bash on Mueller and that's fine, to each their own, but I'm ready at this point to trade him. I know you can't account much for an intangible like potential, but he simply has too much to not be playing. Over the last hundred games? 42 points. Not bad considering battling through a concussion and diminished ice time this season. As far as Biznasty, the guy does well for what he does, and I appreciate having him on the team but he's a different kind of player and will have a different impact on a team. Also, I'm not saying he should automatically be the one scratched, Korpikoski could also be another option. But, it's 4 am and I need sleep! Lol.
You must have only watched the 5 games that Mueller did anything positive for the team. Nice use of stats...42 in 100. How many points this season....It's god awful. You don't put guys in the lineup because they have potential, otherwise we'd have Turris, Porter, Boedker playing on the Coyotes, and Lang, Pyatt, Fiddler would have been signed by other teams...and the Coyotes would probably be out of the playoffs looking in right now. The NHL is littered with entertaining players who don't help teams win. Should we trade for Rob Schremp and put him in the lineup too? Those players who play a different kind of game like BizNasty and Korpedo have an impact that helps the team...Mueller not so much. They both also have twice as many goals as Mueller. They have both been healthy scratches more times than Mueller. Mueller gets what Mueller wants....he doesn't want it bad enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
There is no point debating with rt at this point, once he's fixated on not liking a certain players game that's pretty much it. What we can hope for though is that he'll be as right about Pete as he was about Jovo.
There's no reason to debate with RT at the point.

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 03:19 PM
BuddehJuS

Send a message via AIM to BuddehJuS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
You must have only watched the 5 games that Mueller did anything positive for the team. Nice use of stats...42 in 100. How many points this season....It's god awful. You don't put guys in the lineup because they have potential, otherwise we'd have Turris, Porter, Boedker playing on the Coyotes, and Lang, Pyatt, Fiddler would have been signed by other teams...and the Coyotes would probably be out of the playoffs looking in right now. The NHL is littered with entertaining players who don't help teams win. Should we trade for Rob Schremp and put him in the lineup too? Those players who play a different kind of game like BizNasty and Korpedo have an impact that helps the team...Mueller not so much. They both also have twice as many goals as Mueller. They have both been healthy scratches more times than Mueller. Mueller gets what Mueller wants....he doesn't want it bad enough.

There's no reason to debate with RT at the point.
Assuming anything about me will not help your point, I have watched quite a few games this season and can easily stand by my point about Mueller. As far as mentioning "nice use of stats," I was specifically asked what Mueller had done in his past 100 games, he has gained 42 points with a -11 rating. You don't put guys in the lineup who have potential? You may want to think about rephrasing that. Sure, we've signed stop gaps for a mistake the organization felt it made and luckily for them and us, it's actually working out. Fiddler will obviously be returning next season, but do you see Lang or Pyatt coming back? I think it's 50-50 at this point in the season. Also, there is a major difference between trading for someone and not playing a certain player who has a roster spot on your team, thus I'm not really sure what type of point you were hoping to make. I understand Biz's role with the team and he does it well, but Korpedo? Besides, his two goal game, what kind of impact has he had? Can you sit there and watch a game and specifically state how impactful Korpedo is to the lineup? As far as the argument of them both having more goals then he does, just watch the kid play, he gets way more offensive opportunities than either player. Also, I don't believe playing style can fully dictate desire and I think we can all agree Mueller hasn't been "dogging" it.

There's always plenty to debate about. Especially in regard to one of our top young players.

BuddehJuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 04:02 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
You don't put guys in the lineup because they have potential, otherwise we'd have Turris, Porter, Boedker playing on the Coyotes, and Lang, Pyatt, Fiddler would have been signed by other teams...and the Coyotes would probably be out of the playoffs looking in right now.
I'm firmly in the "keep Mueller and let him figure it out" camp, though I concede that it's a matter of opinion. No amount of arguing is going to sway anyone, I don't think.

I do take issue with the above quote, though. Turris, Porter and Boedker are in the AHL because they can be. If Mueller were eligible, he'd be down there, too. If your options were "Play Turris and cost your team a few games this year or play Robert Lang and cost your team Kyle Turris for the duration of his career," which would you choose?

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 06:40 PM
ducky

I am a big Mueller fan. LOVED watching him during his days with Everett and the US junior team.

His rookie year showed so much promise.

While his game has gone south several other teams young guns are excelling...makes it that much harder compounded by how hard it can be being a fan of this franchise.

If we trade him it better be for a skilled player.

If we trade him I am sure 5 years down the road we will regret it.

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 07:01 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
I'm not sure how many games you've watched this season...
All televised, plus two live.
Quote:
...but Mueller is the most "skilled" player on the ice for us and can be quite entertaining to watch as well.
My ass.
Quote:
Last year, was rough for him we can all admit that, but at the same time, are we going to hold it against forever? The guy is getting chances constantly and setting others up with great heads up plays that I don't think warrants him constantly being scratched.I just don't believe that a player who was coming around like Mueller should be scratched like he has.
He's generating more chances. More than the zero he was generating before. It's still not nearly enough. He's still the worst player on the team.
Quote:
As far as soft, he's working on it ...
Really?
Quote:
Also, when he was tearing it up as a rookie, who complained about his physicality?
When he can tear it up again, while being a creampuff, I'll re-evaluate.
Quote:
Also, I'm not saying he should automatically be the one scratched, Korpikoski could also be another option.
Korpikoski does many things well. Mueller does nothing well.
Quote:
But, it's 4 am and I need sleep! Lol.
Fair enough.

I should take this time to remind everyone just how wrong I was on Jovo. I'm always wrong. About everything.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 07:02 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
HAHA! I've also never been able to read an entire thread before posting.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote