HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

34 | "To Catch a Predator" | NAS @ EDM | 7:30PM | PPV

Closed Thread

Old
12-17-2009, 02:37 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

vCash: 500
Who comes in for Moreau, I don't even know who we have as an extra healthy forward right now. Don't tell me Pouliot will draw in.

Old
12-17-2009, 02:37 PM
BlueBelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Alright Oil lets do it. 7 in a row!!!
starting tonight?

Old
12-17-2009, 02:41 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBelle View Post
starting tonight?
Shhh, I was trying to spark some optimism around here.

Old
12-17-2009, 02:46 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I dont know. Nashville has been around a while now. They havent done hardly anything to get excited about. If they were our team we would have turned our backs on them long ago.
They've had the regular season success... which is something that's been elusive here going on 20 years.

Old
12-17-2009, 02:46 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Who comes in for Moreau, I don't even know who we have as an extra healthy forward right now. Don't tell me Pouliot will draw in.
It'll be Strudwick.

Old
12-17-2009, 03:24 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
I dont know. Nashville has been around a while now. They havent done hardly anything to get excited about. If they were our team we would have turned our backs on them long ago.
I don't know about that, they have overachieved just about every year that they've been in the league, remember they've always been a low payroll team unlike some teams that spend to the cap (cough Oilers cough)

Old
12-17-2009, 03:30 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
It's really quite insane that the Predators find themselves with a 20-11 W/L record in regulation. Every year they lose personnel, every year they're supposed to finish in the conference basement and every year Trotz gets those guys to reach deep.
Pekka Rinne has been great for that team, they might have found a real gem in this guy.

Old
12-17-2009, 03:41 PM
theranfordflop

Here's another fun fact:

The Oilers have had at least 28 shots on net in the last 8 games. This hasn't happened since the 06-07 season, when they had a string of 12 games with 28 shots or more. In between, their longest stretch was 5 games.

And in 2005-06, they had a stretch of 21 games where they had 28 shots or more. Pretty impressive stuff.

Old
12-17-2009, 03:43 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Just for that snide comment, I'm going to overload this thread with YT videos.
Can you at least do it with some good ones this time? Maybe some 60s Lee Morgan?

Old
12-17-2009, 03:44 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Dont forget the wristers from the blueline. Who do you think is going to replace that?
Oh yeah. Totally forgot about Mr. Sniper. Never saw a shot he didn't like... no matter how open his linemates were.

Old
12-17-2009, 03:46 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by theranfordflop View Post
Here's another fun fact:

The Oilers have had at least 28 shots on net in the last 8 games. This hasn't happened since the 06-07 season, when they had a string of 12 games with 28 shots or more. In between, their longest stretch was 5 games.

And in 2005-06, they had a stretch of 21 games where they had 28 shots or more. Pretty impressive stuff.
This does not impress me at all. Personally.

Old
12-17-2009, 03:53 PM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilers View Post
Stolen from the new mspaint thread
i love the MSpaint version almost as much as the real picture

i seriously want to PS Hansen out and make a huge print of the regular version and frame it.
that thing rules.

Old
12-17-2009, 04:00 PM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola View Post
They have a 11-1 win loss against us. I just hope the only reason why is Barry Trotz out coached MacT.
Do bears crap in the woods and wipe their butts with Charmin...?

Old
12-17-2009, 04:02 PM
theranfordflop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
Cool man. Considering the Oilers are one of the worst shooting teams in the league for the past 3 seasons, I consider it a sign of modest progress.

Teams that can consistently shoot within the range of 28+ generally are the more successful teams in the league over an 82 game season. And in any stretch of over 8 games in which this team has 28+ shots, I've yet to find a losing record. But I'm just starting my exploration in to this.

Old
12-17-2009, 04:07 PM
OYLer

Quote:
Not much of an interchange on the old freeway either way, the speed limit vs. the detour.

Old
12-17-2009, 04:26 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Cool man. Considering the Oilers are one of the worst shooting teams in the league for the past 3 seasons, I consider it a sign of modest progress.

Teams that can consistently shoot within the range of 28+ generally are the more successful teams in the league over an 82 game season. And in any stretch of over 8 games in which this team has 28+ shots, I've yet to find a losing record. But I'm just starting my exploration in to this.
If you're going into your exploration expecting to find something, you'll find it. You've chosen an arbitrary cutoff of N games and introduced bias into your numbers from the get-go. Look at performance over a whole season. Numbers like this have a way of balancing out.

But in and of itself, having more shots on goal doesn't indicate progress, nor does it indicate regress. It has low information value.

If you want to talk about progress, that would be moving the PP and PK into the top-15. Progress would be winning more than 50% of your games. Progress would be making the playoffs.

To me this comes off like trying to polish a turd.

Old
12-17-2009, 04:54 PM
Dirt McGirt
Я люблю водку

does anyone know if the game is streamed anywhere? please and thank you.

Old
12-17-2009, 05:17 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Seconded.

Old
12-17-2009, 05:28 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Seconded.
Correct me if Im wrong but werent you pointing out the shot diff during the wins at the beginning of the year? So now that they have improved in that area you are not impressed? That just doesnt look very good.

Old
12-17-2009, 05:31 PM
LuLuBelle

I know this is not about the game day thread but I have a question and I'm embarrassed to ask this but, could someone tell me what exactly a "bagskate" is?

Old
12-17-2009, 05:40 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Correct me if Im wrong but werent you pointing out the shot diff during the wins at the beginning of the year? So now that they have improved in that area you are not impressed? That just doesnt look very good.
Cogs took 4 shots in a recent game. None of them looked anything close to a reasonable chance.

Quinn has been telling a lot of players to shoot more and they are doing it. But I don't see a team that is consistently going into hard areas to get those quality shots away.

I see a team that does that for 1 or 2 periods and seldom plays a full game.

I think they're just shooting more. I don't think it means in this instance an indication of play differential.

Although I realize that probably comes off smelling like rotten ham..

Old
12-17-2009, 05:46 PM
Oilbender

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLuBelle View Post
I know this is not about the game day thread but I have a question and I'm embarrassed to ask this but, could someone tell me what exactly a "bagskate" is?
If a coach feels as if the team has been playing terribly (or for any other potentially insane reason) the team will have a practice devoted to nothing but skating nearly all-out until they are exhausted, and beyond. Form of punishment.

Old
12-17-2009, 05:50 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Quote:
If you're going into your exploration expecting to find something, you'll find it. You've chosen an arbitrary cutoff of N games and introduced bias into your numbers from the get-go. Look at performance over a whole season. Numbers like this have a way of balancing out.

But in and of itself, having more shots on goal doesn't indicate progress, nor does it indicate regress. It has low information value.

If you want to talk about progress, that would be moving the PP and PK into the top-15. Progress would be winning more than 50% of your games. Progress would be making the playoffs.

To me this comes off like trying to polish a turd.
It is a start, but it does have little bearing on which direction the team goes. Like you suggested a big step would be improvement in the PK and the PP. Heck, even a better face-off percentage would be better.

Old
12-17-2009, 05:53 PM
smithboy89

Quote:

Only problem is 28 shots per game is 26th in the league.

Old
12-17-2009, 06:08 PM
LuLuBelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabbypants View Post
If a coach feels as if the team has been playing terribly (or for any other potentially insane reason) the team will have a practice devoted to nothing but skating nearly all-out until they are exhausted, and beyond. Form of punishment.
Ok, thank you. Why is that called a "bag skate"? I'm a dumb blonde, I don't get it.

Closed Thread