HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Glen Sather thread

Old
12-17-2009, 09:34 AM
OrbitalDynamics

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
Bring back Neil smith
God no!

You'd see Del Zotto,Grachev and Sanguinetti traded for Brind'Amour or something similarly mind boggling.

OrbitalDynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 09:38 AM
bubba5

vCash: 500
Cant see him getting fired...Dolan loves him, they are probably ice fishing in Baniff together laughing at all of us.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 09:39 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Look, this strikes me as an odd way to determine if a GM stays or leaves. This is the most important position in an organization. And we're going to base whether we keep him or not on one game? I call shenanigans as well.

I'll remind everyone that if Sather goes things are not going to get better immediately. It will take quite a while to heal the contractual damage that has been done.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 09:41 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
To be honest this is the worst possible time to fire Sather. Dude is generally good with trades and if anyone can find a way to trade some of the Rangers big contracts, it's him. Fire him after the season or whatever, before he can screw up signing FA's, but right now? It's like trying to fix the gaping hole in your boat after it's at the bottom of the river

edit: Let's not forget that big spending, poor management didn't start with Sather. Was it all Sather or has Dolan also continued to be the one pushing for some of these moves? Neil Smith was a pretty terrible GM by the time he got run out and he was doing the same **** we get on Sather for. If the Rangers bring in a new GM, how much is it just going to be the same old same old with a different face?
I am probably one of the only ones who is going to agree with you here. He is part of the good ole boys club, and he wins trades. Sometimes it's more of calling in favors to other GM's that gets you out of trouble more so than anything else.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 09:42 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

IM sorry but this thread title should be all caps.

This is the first time in a long time we have any KIND of rumor for Sathers head.

It should be celebrated, even if a longshot.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 09:44 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Glen Sather has been Rangers GM for 37.5% of my life. It's time for a change.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 09:46 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
i love the shmucks that paint this picture of some stupid cigar smoking, make it rain, senile old man.

i want him around. yea, he didn't do a great job with this year's team, but it is not, nor has it ever been about this year.

in all honesty, this should've been year 1 for us....and if it weren't for the emergence of hank and the brilliance of jagr, it would be.

slats had to change up the strategy on the fly and he did a good enough job. we've been to the playoffs every yea since the lockout and have managed to hold on to all of our top prospects.

he made two huge mistakes. one is in montreal and the other we're likely stuck with for a while.

he made two slightly smaller mistakes that will be gone in 2 years.

our system is pretty stacked and all that's missing s that one blue chipper.

Really? REALLY?? You want him to stick around, huh?

Let's get a few things straight here:

1.) He has been a the GM for almost 10 years here, and before the lockout, all he did was spend, spend, and spend. And he built up NOTHING, do you hear me...NOTHING!

2.) The ONLY reason we finally went into a rebuilding mode was because of the lockout. And because he finally had to adhere to a budget..if the lockout hadn't happen, this buffoon, yeah I said it, BUFFOON, would still be out there, spending oodles of cash, on past their prime, over the hill, reclamation projects. You should thank your lucky stars for the lockout, cause I do, every day.

3.) Don Maloney is the man most responsible for what we now have in the organization. Staal, Henrik, Dubi, Callahan. He was handling most of the Rangers drafting up until he left in 2007. That is a KNOWN FACT!!

4.) Sather has made more then just those 2 mistakes. He has made a ton of them since he's been here..year 1 of our rebuild shoulda been this year...really? After being the GM here for as long as he has?? REALLY??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
Then I am King of the Schmucks. Whether he leaves tonight or in April...I desperately want him gone. He may not be a senile old man, but he's not the Great and Powerful team builder his reputation claims him to be. He has done nothing of note for the Rangers pre- or post-lockout. The counter argument to that is..."well, look at the stable of yutes we now have!!!" And to that I say big deal. He doesn't deserve any extra credit for basically performing the most fundamental aspect of his job. Securing the talent pool, to me, isn't a sign of a Supreme Being. And while he has managed to pull off some nice trades...their value has equaled nill in the grand scheme of things. For 10 years we've been paddling against the tides, going neither forwards nor backwards. Any fan who thinks this guy should stick around because of the quality of his performance is either a moron or a contrarian arguing for argument's sake.
Well said!!

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 09:48 AM
SML

I see no benefit in firing Sather right now. Who are you going to bring in? If you think this is the time to bring in a rookie GM, I strongly disagree. I just think the team has already tuned out Tortorella's screaming act and he's lost this team. It was fast, but I think it's true. Changing the GM won't do a thing while Fonzie is still running the show.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 09:49 AM
KotsyJr
49ERS/NYR/RAPS/JAYS

Very interesting, to say the least. I don't see it happening... but you never know.

KotsyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 09:53 AM
frankthefrowner

Ok ok... can someone with Shop skills please start creating Isles avatars for us!

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 09:55 AM
miss2leetch

Quote:
i love the shmucks that paint this picture of some stupid cigar smoking, make it rain, senile old man.

i want him around. yea, he didn't do a great job with this year's team, but it is not, nor has it ever been about this year.

in all honesty, this should've been year 1 for us....and if it weren't for the emergence of hank and the brilliance of jagr, it would be.

slats had to change up the strategy on the fly and he did a good enough job. we've been to the playoffs every yea since the lockout and have managed to hold on to all of our top prospects.

he made two huge mistakes. one is in montreal and the other we're likely stuck with for a while.

he made two slightly smaller mistakes that will be gone in 2 years.

our system is pretty stacked and all that's missing s that one blue chipper.
Stop drinking the kool aid we have less talent than 90% of the nhl teams.

miss2leetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 09:55 AM
Dr. Ogrodnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
I see no benefit in firing Sather right now. Who are you going to bring in? If you think this is the time to bring in a rookie GM, I strongly disagree. I just think the team has already tuned out Tortorella's screaming act and he's lost this team. It was fast, but I think it's true. Changing the GM won't do a thing while Fonzie is still running the show.
A new GM would probably bring in his own coach.

Dr. Ogrodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 09:56 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
I agree.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 09:58 AM
Section311
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I totally agree with the team tuning out torts. If your boss was yelling at you all day that you dont do a good job after a while you wouldnt even hear him yelling anymore. There is only so much a guy making millions of dollars a year is going to tolerate before he starts to not care

Section311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 10:00 AM
miss2leetch

Quote:
Wrong, a new GM is needed now, someone that can better judge talent and the ability to play in NYC. Tortorella has only had this team for a short time. This is not his team. I am discouraged though that Torts has allowed this group of players to quit. That is inexcusable....play the young guys....and stop wearing down Gabby and co.

miss2leetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 10:04 AM
BleedTheBlue4928

sathers release long overdue

Sather needs to go..... im sick of sitting back these last few years in anticipation for a great season and have it crumble to nothing while we pick up useless trash that no one wants A.K.A redden, rosival, higgins, brashear, etc.

BleedTheBlue4928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 10:05 AM
OverTheCap

Wow, please don't toy with my emotions like this.

This would great news if true but I highly doubt it is.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 10:06 AM
BleedTheBlue4928

Quote:
I do agree though with that much (Highlighted in red)

BleedTheBlue4928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 10:07 AM
TheHotRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss2leetch View Post
Stop drinking the kool aid we have less talent than 90% of the nhl teams.
what kool aid. i'll be the first to tell you that this year's team sucks.

so what? we were supposed to suck for the last 4 years...and if we did, w hich was presumably the plan, we'd have the horses to compete this year. we don't. we still have some nice prospects in the system and we should be good in 2-3 years.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 10:08 AM
Hire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!

Send a message via AIM to Hire Sather
Just have to hope that if/when this happens we get a real GM and not Messier..

Hire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 10:11 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
what kool aid. i'll be the first to tell you that this year's team sucks.

so what? we were supposed to suck for the last 4 years...and if we did, w hich was presumably the plan, we'd have the horses to compete this year. we don't. we still have some nice prospects in the system and we should be good in 2-3 years.
Yeah, continue to be satisfied with mediocrity, are you a Mets fan too? Cause I am, and they piss me off MORE then the Rangers!

We should be good NOW. He's had 10 years to build this freaking team, and didn't even start until 5 years ago. What team are you watching??

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 10:15 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Make the change. Fine,

But NOT with #11. He is not ready.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 10:15 AM
silverfish
Player Usage

Whose going to take over, Messier? No thanks.

Give me Renney.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 10:16 AM
TheHotRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGr8 View Post
Yeah, continue to be satisfied with mediocrity, are you a Mets fan too? Cause I am, and they piss me off MORE then the Rangers!

We should be good NOW. He's had 10 years to build this freaking team, and didn't even start until 5 years ago. What team are you watching??
reading comprehension is your friend. i can't really have a discussion with you.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 10:17 AM
FATCHAMALA11
Kneel Before Zod

Please lose 10 zip.

FATCHAMALA11 is offline   Reply With Quote