HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Glen Sather thread

Old
12-17-2009, 11:46 AM
FATCHAMALA11
Kneel Before Zod

vCash: 500
As much as Messier isn't ready he is a giant upgrade over Sather. Atleast Messier is semi current in hockey, Sather hasn't been relevant since the 80's.

FATCHAMALA11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 11:47 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

After all that Dolan has been through with Sather, whacking him a week before Christmas doesn't seem realistic. (In fact the last hockey general manager I can remember getting fired a week before Christmas was me. Roanoke, 1975. No kidding) But what does seem more and more realistic is Mark Messier becoming the new head of the hockey operation with Sather's blessing and guidance. You cannot follow the Rangers and not be aware of the internal promotion and chatter about Messier which I suspect is a well planned strategy to begin raising his management profile with fans. Time is coming. Soon.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 11:48 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalDynamics View Post
They aren't going to sack 2 coaches in under a year.
Not for nothing, but that's the problem. The Devils would sack 3 coaches in one year if they had to, cause the bottom line with the Devils is WINNING. They will not tolerate mediocrity, that's the difference between the 2 franchises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
I saw Dolan yesterday in the 100's....after the 2nd Isles goal he walked out and left..he looked pissed.
Wait...he actually attends our games?? I didn't even think he knew we existed!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
Philosophy. Renney preached defense defense defense. Which is not good when you're playing in a league where ultimately, your contracts are based on individual numbers and not winning percentage. Renney is a perfect coach for juniors, where players are young and learning, or olympics where the only thing you care about is winning the medal and it's a short tournament.
That's a good point. But Renney's system was working for a while. He brought this franchise back to some sort of respectability. The big problem I saw last year, was that as much of a defensive coach as he was, he seemed to commit even MORE to that last year, cause he didn't have a superstar scorer on this team. Hate on Jagr all you want for being to pass happy, but his presence alone created a lot of scoring opportunities that weren't there last year. I wonder how he woulda done last year had Gabs been in the fold.

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 11:49 AM
skymachine

Quote:
Okay, I'll ask again... who are you going to bring in? And even if this miracle worker is the finest judge of talent ever, how exactly do you propose that he fix this roster and salvage this season? Who is good enough to get another team to give up it's valuable players for our rejects? So how is it going to change the bottom line? Sometimes you have to let the plane crash. This is exactly what this franchise did NOT do in the dark years pre-lockout. The team sucked, they were awful, but year after year they artificially buoyed the team up by adding veterans and putting bandaids on bullet wounds. As a result, we sucked, but never sucked bad enough to get the pieces necessary to actually pull this franchise out of it's rut. And as far as playing the kids, we probably have the WORST coach possible for that. He's a bully and a screamer, not a teacher. The whole dress Lisin and sit him for the entire game episode told me that. Tortorella didn't allow the team to quit, he's the reason they've quit. Oh yeah, don't tell me it's not his team when the turnover from last year to this has been so drastic. 13 players who were "regulars" from this team last year moved on. Don't think Tortorella had nothing to do with that.
I don't think the purpose of firing Sather would be to bring a guy in to magically fix all the "mistakes" and go on a playoff run. This would be a long-term kind of deal, one to avoid the mistakes in free agency that has caused this team to land in cap hell and thus mediocrity. How are you supposed to get secondary scoring with the money put at 2 goal, 4th line centers like Chris Drury, or turnstiles like Rozsival?

I agree that Tortorella's attitude isn't helping, and is even immature at times. The fact is that Renney was tuned out last year when he preached defense, and it looks like Tortorella's messages never seem to get through. The players should also be held accountable.

skymachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Fitzy
All Is Well

A new gm doesnt cancel our current contracts. We'd have to fake a revolution.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRgRz3nSG7o

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Section311

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATCHAMALA11 View Post
As much as Messier isn't ready he is a giant upgrade over Sather. Atleast Messier is semi current in hockey, Sather hasn't been relevant since the 80's.
I actually think we would be worse if messier was the gm right now. I think that would be a big mistake

Section311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 11:51 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
As happy as I am Phoenix got him...never should have let Donny Maloney go.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 11:52 AM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section311 View Post
I actually think we would be worse if messier was the gm right now. I think that would be a big mistake
I used to think that way too, but not anymore. He's got to watch this team and be sick to his stomach that they don't play tough like he knows you have to

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 11:54 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Okay, I'll ask again... who are you going to bring in? And even if this miracle worker is the finest judge of talent ever, how exactly do you propose that he fix this roster and salvage this season?
Who said anything about salvaging this season? Getting rid of Sather now ensures that he can't do anything stupid in a vain attempt to win this year. A better GM will recognize what he has and know that adding one or two players at the deadline isn't going to get us anywhere.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 11:55 AM
Section311

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
I sued to think that way too, but not anymore. He's got to wacth this team and be sick to his stomach that they don't play tough like he knows you have to
Im sure he is but because of the player he was and the leader it does not guarantee he will be a good gm

Old
12-17-2009, 11:56 AM
bumrusherer

Damn, didnt think I'd ever root for the Isles. Feels kinda odd....

I dont think Messier would get the gig, if this is true.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 11:57 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
A new gm doesnt cancel our current contracts.
Yes, but it may be easier for a new GM to clean house because he doesn't have the emotional investment of having given out the contract.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 11:58 AM
blue2noise

My #1 choice for GM?

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 11:58 AM
Ola

What options are available right now? Former GM's?

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 11:59 AM
Section311

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Who said anything about salvaging this season? Getting rid of Sather now ensures that he can't do anything stupid in a vain attempt to win this year. A better GM will recognize what he has and know that adding one or two players at the deadline isn't going to get us anywhere.
Good point. Its like the knicks, Donnie Walsh did what everyone knew had to be done in a couple of months and Isahia couldnt figure it out for how many years

Old
12-17-2009, 12:00 PM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeHat View Post
I don't think the purpose of firing Sather would be to bring a guy in to magically fix all the "mistakes" and go on a playoff run. This would be a long-term kind of deal, one to avoid the mistakes in free agency that has caused this team to land in cap hell and thus mediocrity. How are you supposed to get secondary scoring with the money put at 2 goal, 4th line centers like Chris Drury, or turnstiles like Rozsival?

I agree that Tortorella's attitude isn't helping, and is even immature at times. The fact is that Renney was tuned out last year when he preached defense, and it looks like Tortorella's messages never seem to get through. The players should also be held accountable.
Don't get me wrong. I'm no Sather apologist. If this team doesn't come around, There's no way I think he should be the GM of this team next year. But to fire him mid season, IMO, serves no purpose. The new guy, whomever he is, is going to be handcuffed by what he got left with and have no real way to anything about it until the offseason. Glen Sather is the captain of this ship, and there's a reason why the captain always goes down with his ship. Start looking for new guys now, let Sather take the blame and the heat, and if we do wind up missing the playoffs, we already have our guy ready to step in. Then we gut the whole organization, coaching staff and all and start fresh before the UFA/Draft period.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Madison Square Garden: Where Pathetic Happens

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Section311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
What options are available right now? Former GM's?
what is scotty bowman up to these days? Is he still doing something with the blackhawks

Old
12-17-2009, 12:03 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
My #1 choice for GM?

He wouldn't have the support from NY.

You need that. If the GM/coach says that one thing should be done while every reported and the fans wants another -- it will effect the players.

Look at what happend to Renney last season. Larry Brooks thought we were a contender. NYR was his guess to make the finals out of the east -- I think. Something like that. Then when we still were playing great and winning -- he started to complain about not scoring goals. With that roster it was pretty great just to make the PO's.

But the players kind of bought Brooks hype and started to get away from what made us successful. Of course that didn't work and the rest is history.

Old
12-17-2009, 12:06 PM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I might have missed something, but Sather doesn't really make those kind of trades. Honestly, who would you not want him to trade? IMO, nothing involving any first round picks. Outside of that, Staal, MDZ, Henrik, Gaborik, Anisimov and Grachev. Anybody else I'd listen to offers for. Sather is far enough along to know this is probably his last job. I doubt he makes foolish deals to hold onto it. He'd probably be fine with being fired and collecting a paycheck to play golf and smoke cigars. Which is basically what he does now anyway.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 12:06 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section311 View Post
what is scotty bowman up to these days? Is he still doing something with the blackhawks
He's very old.

I know he is like a senior advisor for I think the Red Wings, and maybe also a few other teams.

I mean, I would love the Bettman of the old. But is he up for watching a ton of hockey. Does he know the hockeyworld today? I think there is a lot of dirty work involved in being a GM.

Like you constantly see Ken Holland at tournaments all over the world, junior, european et c.

Old
12-17-2009, 12:12 PM
Choice

Craig Carton is a jackass. This is ridiculous.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 12:12 PM
FATCHAMALA11
Kneel Before Zod

The fire Sather chants last night did have some feeling behind them. lol

FATCHAMALA11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 12:13 PM
Section311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choice View Post
Craig Carton is a jackass. This is ridiculous.
I agree but what I think is interesting is that boomer said his source is more than legit

Old
12-17-2009, 12:16 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
I might have missed something, but Sather doesn't really make those kind of trades. Honestly, who would you not want him to trade? IMO, nothing involving any first round picks. Outside of that, Staal, MDZ, Henrik, Gaborik, Anisimov and Grachev. Anybody else I'd listen to offers for. Sather is far enough along to know this is probably his last job. I doubt he makes foolish deals to hold onto it. He'd probably be fine with being fired and collecting a paycheck to play golf and smoke cigars. Which is basically what he does now anyway.
I'm not saying he will trade any of our top prospects/young players, but that doesn't mean he can't do something stupid.

He's been GM for 10 years now and he's failed to this point. This roster is littered with his mistakes. I don't want to give him the chance to make any more.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote