HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Shopping for a new stick - any suggestions?

Old
12-16-2009, 11:06 PM
toedragger

vCash: 500
Shopping for a new stick - any suggestions?

My stick is about to go so its time for a new stick! My stick now is a Sr. 85 flex that I cut down 2-3 inches so the flex is probably closer to 100 now. I'm a little guy - 5'7"/140lbs - and would like to try a lower flex stick. Problem is that I always cut off 2-3 inches on a Sr stick (making even the lowest flex close to 100). Would an intermediate stick be suitable? Im worried that it wont be tall enough for me as I like my sticks to be around my mouth/nose area on skates.

I like the Iginla pattern so Ive been looking into the Easton line but i'm open to suggestions. I dont take alot of slappers - mostly wrist/snap. I would like to keep it under $200. I dont want anything too heavy but at the same time something that wont break too easily. Any suggestions?

toedragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 01:03 AM
SouthpawTRK

Having a budget of $200 or less to spend on a new stick gives you a lot of options to say the least. If you got an intermediate stick, then you most likely would not have to cut down the stick, but flex may be a bit soft for you.

You could invest in an Easton SE16 or maybe one of the new Bauer Vapor sticks (X:40 or X:50).

If you have other friends that play hockey, you might want to see if you can try out one of their sticks the next time you are on the ice.

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 02:52 AM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

you could always get an extension for an intermediate stick if need be. the flex may be more suitable for you, but only you know if you can load a cut senior stick.

ive used a lot of high end sticks in the price range you are talking about, xxxx, 10k, se16, s17, one95, ballistik cal52, and without a doubt, the one95 is the best ive used for all types of shots. best feel and balance of the lot, and durable too.

for me, i stopped using easton sticks cause they seem to lose their flex and the blades turn really soft after a few weeks of using them 4-5 times a week. i dont have that problem with my bauer sticks.

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 08:12 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If you've been using an 85, try looking at a 75. I'm 5'8 and find that intermediates tend to be too whippy (I seem to lose power) but I can barely flex an 85 when cut down, so 75's are a nice medium.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 11:12 AM
toedragger

I definitely can't load my stick now as much as I want to - mind you, its been cut down. I would like to try a 75 flex stick - which companies make sticks in this flex?

Also, Ive looked at the Bauer sticks, I like them but I dont really like any of their patterns. Do they have a pattern that resembles the Iggy pattern? something this mid curve and closed?

Old
12-17-2009, 11:47 AM
Blueshockey2*

I just bought a Bauer Vapor V40 Stick Em with a Gagne pattern, first time I've used Bauer as I've always used Easton,Warrior and CCM and I love the Vapor I bought

Blueshockey2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 12:24 PM
SouthpawTRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by toedragger View Post
I definitely can't load my stick now as much as I want to - mind you, its been cut down. I would like to try a 75 flex stick - which companies make sticks in this flex?

Also, Ive looked at the Bauer sticks, I like them but I dont really like any of their patterns. Do they have a pattern that resembles the Iggy pattern? something this mid curve and closed?
I would look at the SE16 if you like the Iginla pattern and for the fact that you can get the senior flex as low as 75.

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 12:45 PM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

I think the closest bauer pattern to the iginla is the p88, unless you do the bauer id off of their website, where the p10, p71 or p15 are closest, depending on what lie you prefer

Old
12-17-2009, 01:31 PM
toedragger

I had the SE16 in mind for sure but I've heard that the blade deteriorates rather quickly. Is there any truth to this?

I was also thinking about the ST or maybe an older steatlh model like S13 or S11 - does anyone have any experience with these sticks?

Old
12-17-2009, 02:51 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The S11 is whippy for its flex...I tried an 85 flex and it felt like 70-75. The ST is a solid stick. Not sure about the SE16 blade but I had a tapered Easton blade that went really, really fast.

The P88 is pretty close to the Iginla, maybe a bit longer.

Old
12-17-2009, 02:52 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshockey2 View Post
I just bought a Bauer Vapor V40 Stick Em with a Gagne pattern, first time I've used Bauer as I've always used Easton,Warrior and CCM and I love the Vapor I bought
Yes thank you, me too

But seriously, if you need to cut the Sr's down, its better to get an INT

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 02:58 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Not necessarily...the intermediate might be too whippy at full length. Depends on how strong you are and if you want something a bit more flexible or stiff.

Old
12-17-2009, 03:47 PM
toedragger

Does anyone know how long an intermediate stick is? (generally)

What about CCM or Warrior or RBK? Do they have anyhting worth taking a loook at? IVe always stuck to Bauer or Easton so I dont really know.

Old
12-17-2009, 10:42 PM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

im pretty sure that intermediate sticks are 57 inches and senior sticks are 60. i may be wrong though.

ccm- u+ cl is a good stick but fragile, dont know of any of their other stuff

warrior- top end stuff is good but fragile

rbk- some say they are fragile, some say they hold up well. ive never seen durability problems with top end reebok

Old
12-18-2009, 08:28 PM
toedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandcrusaders82 View Post
im pretty sure that intermediate sticks are 57 inches and senior sticks are 60. i may be wrong though.
I think you are right, I saw this on Bauers website. So besides the height difference, are there any other differences between int and sr sticks - aside form the flex obviously? Blade length? Shaft thickness?

Old
12-18-2009, 11:50 PM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by toedragger View Post
I think you are right, I saw this on Bauers website. So besides the height difference, are there any other differences between int and sr sticks - aside form the flex obviously? Blade length? Shaft thickness?
Im not 100 percent sure, but I think that intermediate shafts aren't as thick as senior shafts. I would also guess that the blade is proportionally shorter as well. The best way to figure out would be to get to a shop if you can and see if you like the feel of the stick. A smaller shaft with a shorter blade might feel weird and look weird too, which might negate the benefit of getting an intermediate.

Old
12-19-2009, 12:16 AM
CuteHockeyBunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandcrusaders82 View Post

ccm- u+ cl is a good stick but fragile, dont know of any of their other stuff

warrior- top end stuff is good but fragile

rbk- some say they are fragile, some say they hold up well. ive never seen durability problems with top end reebok
This is why sticks are all about personal preference and style of play. The only thing we agree upon here is that the U+ CL is good but fragile. Warrior has been been hella durable for me and a Reebok 4K I had snapped in about 25 slap shots.

CuteHockeyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 12:39 AM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteHockeyBunny View Post
This is why sticks are all about personal preference and style of play. The only thing we agree upon here is that the U+ CL is good but fragile. Warrior has been been hella durable for me and a Reebok 4K I had snapped in about 25 slap shots.
Style of play for sure. Sometimes I play with a guy at open hockey that uses 4k's and has been using the same one for 5 months now. He doesn't take many slap shots though.

Two things that I always stand by are that all easton's are overpriced for their quality level, charging more for name than performance and durability, and that the one95 is the best stick I have ever used