HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Canada should donate some players

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-18-2009, 12:04 PM
  #51
jekoh
Registered User
 
jekoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
One could argue, convincingly, that team Canada simply brought the wrong set of NHL Canadian players to the Olympics in the years that they did not win. There are always many controversial decisions on who should and should not make the Olympic roster for Canada...
The other countries could make the same claim.

jekoh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 12:10 PM
  #52
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban
 
Team_Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 20,435
vCash: 700
Micheal Phelps for Joe Thornton + MA Fleury


Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 12:21 PM
  #53
AmericanDream
Puck You
 
AmericanDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I Return to Serenity
Country: United States
Posts: 9,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafs38 View Post
None of those players would make Team Canada anyways so it doesn't matter.
if your talking about parise and stastny you will get an argument. especially parise who is on the least offensive minded team yet winds up in the top 5 in scoring. the others are just kids now, but in 5 years some of those mentioned could be representing Canada at world events....especially Sutter and Myers.

what Myers did was just plain wrong imo. you should have a birth right to play for a nation and not just get citizenship . at least Hull, Sutter, Pominville, Olsen have that with a parent born from that respective country. it will never change, it is funny to see O'Sullivan and Eaves as born in Canada when you never saw that before they became NHLers. same with Chorney i believe. Our borders are amazingly close and imo it will only get worse.

wasnt Eric Chouinard born in Georgia but represented Canada also? he was a huge bust, but another kid from the southern US to defect early on. and how about BJ Crombeen and Tyler Plante? it happens both ways more often now.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 02:25 PM
  #54
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0
 
RandV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,344
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaboli View Post
I am 100% sure, and I am quite sure other European posters here would agree with me, when I say NEVER! Let Quebec have their own team if they wish, I don't give a rats hiney (though that is the absolute opposite of what you're asking here, I know), but although EU has made political and financial unification reforms, and will continue to do so, the European countries will not be under one banner when it comes to sports
I'm not really saying it's going to happen, rather I'd just see it as a sot of poetic justice as when talking with European hockey fans around here Canada/US rarely gets little respect or understanding in this regard. If Europe binds itself under a single Federal government, then apart from a few technicalities that's basically equivilent to North America. You can cite cultural differencs but difference between France and the UK probably isn't that much greater than Western Canada and Quebec, or Sweden/Finland/Norway probably not that far from the States of New York/Texas/California, the Maritimes is kind of like Ireland, and so on.

As it is for hockey single game-elimination tournaments Europe has a distinct advantage in that despite being roughly equivilent in size and population to North America, they have more borders drawn so get more teams and more shots at winning it. Not to mention more votes on IIHF matters. So if you're starting to erase those borders I think Canada would have a legitimate beef in getting you to send only one team or letting us send regionalized teams.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 02:35 PM
  #55
slovakiasnextone
Registered User
 
slovakiasnextone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Slovakia
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 4,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
I'm not really saying it's going to happen, rather I'd just see it as a sot of poetic justice as when talking with European hockey fans around here Canada/US rarely gets little respect or understanding in this regard. If Europe binds itself under a single Federal government, then apart from a few technicalities that's basically equivilent to North America. You can cite cultural differencs but difference between France and the UK probably isn't that much greater than Western Canada and Quebec, or Sweden/Finland/Norway probably not that far from the States of New York/Texas/California, the Maritimes is kind of like Ireland, and so on.

As it is for hockey single game-elimination tournaments Europe has a distinct advantage in that despite being roughly equivilent in size and population to North America, they have more borders drawn so get more teams and more shots at winning it. Not to mention more votes on IIHF matters. So if you're starting to erase those borders I think Canada would have a legitimate beef in getting you to send only one team or letting us send regionalized teams.
The time that a federal European government (especially with the UK in it) happens is the day when the US and Iran will be joined unde ran another federal government. The EU is just Merkel┤s and Sarkozy┤s toy and it┤s gonna get very interesting once the Tories win the elections in the UK, which they most probably will.

Btw, why doesn┤t the USA and Canada send just one team since you guys even got a common league, eh? Or better why don┤t the US and Canada don┤t form a federal government with the UK and France since they┤ve got more in common with them than Slovakia or Czech republic do?

Also, I┤d advice you to study some more about the EU, according to the Lisbon Treaty sports in the members countries is not even in the EU┤s jurisdiction and they only have an "advice voice" in that part, just like in education etc.

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 02:40 PM
  #56
MaV
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 478
vCash: 500
I cannot be really surprising that Canada has good or even great depth. Again, their population is larger than Sweden, Finland, Czech Republic and Slovakia combined.

MaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 02:44 PM
  #57
Diskothek
Registered User
 
Diskothek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,761
vCash: 500
Heatley should play for Germany, duh.

Diskothek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 05:55 PM
  #58
Diaboli
Registered User
 
Diaboli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: City once voted as F
Posts: 1,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
I'm not really saying it's going to happen, rather I'd just see it as a sot of poetic justice as when talking with European hockey fans around here Canada/US rarely gets little respect or understanding in this regard. If Europe binds itself under a single Federal government, then apart from a few technicalities that's basically equivilent to North America. You can cite cultural differencs but difference between France and the UK probably isn't that much greater than Western Canada and Quebec, or Sweden/Finland/Norway probably not that far from the States of New York/Texas/California, the Maritimes is kind of like Ireland, and so on.

As it is for hockey single game-elimination tournaments Europe has a distinct advantage in that despite being roughly equivilent in size and population to North America, they have more borders drawn so get more teams and more shots at winning it. Not to mention more votes on IIHF matters. So if you're starting to erase those borders I think Canada would have a legitimate beef in getting you to send only one team or letting us send regionalized teams.
Before I answer any of the other bull that was mentioned in this post (which it really is), I'd really like you to elaborate on the bolded part, as I really have no clue what so ever what you mean by that.

Diaboli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 06:16 PM
  #59
Eazy T
Registered User
 
Eazy T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,669
vCash: 500
In fact, Canada has donated. Thanks to their part, we have Paul diPietro, Ryan Gardner, Alexandre Daigle, Hnat Domenichelli on our side. Now if only we could get a few more Canadians or any top 6 Canadian forward would do (Morrison, Peverly, Tanguay, etc.)


Last edited by Eazy T: 12-18-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Eazy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 06:31 PM
  #60
Confucius
Registered User
 
Confucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaV View Post
I cannot be really surprising that Canada has good or even great depth. Again, their population is larger than Sweden, Finland, Czech Republic and Slovakia combined.
I never knew.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 06:41 PM
  #61
Confucius
Registered User
 
Confucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,471
vCash: 500
Anyway the NHL must screwup our players, last 20 years at the WJC 13 gold 4 silver 2 bronze.
Then the boys move to the USA, not nearly as dominant anymore. Why? It's the American way of life.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 07:02 PM
  #62
um
Registered User
 
um's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,225
vCash: 500
hey quebec almost accomplished this in like 93 or 94

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 07:25 PM
  #63
2525
Sad Leafs fan
 
2525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Germany
Posts: 8,460
vCash: 1807
The OP isn't even Canadian and so many are getting there knickers in a knot

I love the Myers argument, bottom line is he choose Canada, even though team USA wanted him. (he even played with team USA in one tournament)

Hull didn't make team Canada and the Americans jumped at him. (as they have with numerous players) who can blame them though.

But in 50 years it'll be the Americans who will dominate hockey anyways. Just a game of numbers really.

Our toughest games are against the Americans and with more teams in the US (thanks Gary we know your agenda) more American kids are playing the game---imagine if Americans took the game serious

And when you think of it percentage wise, Canada should be far ahead, but we aren't.

2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 07:31 PM
  #64
2525
Sad Leafs fan
 
2525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Germany
Posts: 8,460
vCash: 1807
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
if your talking about parise and stastny you will get an argument. especially parise who is on the least offensive minded team yet winds up in the top 5 in scoring. the others are just kids now, but in 5 years some of those mentioned could be representing Canada at world events....especially Sutter and Myers.

what Myers did was just plain wrong imo. you should have a birth right to play for a nation and not just get citizenship . at least Hull, Sutter, Pominville, Olsen have that with a parent born from that respective country. it will never change, it is funny to see O'Sullivan and Eaves as born in Canada when you never saw that before they became NHLers. same with Chorney i believe. Our borders are amazingly close and imo it will only get worse.

wasnt Eric Chouinard born in Georgia but represented Canada also? he was a huge bust, but another kid from the southern US to defect early on. and how about BJ Crombeen and Tyler Plante? it happens both ways more often now.
You really believe that?

2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 10:17 PM
  #65
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo
 
TheFatOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Malm÷, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,373
vCash: 500
I wish Lucic and Fisher were Swedish

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 12:47 AM
  #66
AmericanDream
Puck You
 
AmericanDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I Return to Serenity
Country: United States
Posts: 9,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan001 View Post
You really believe that?
ummmm yes. i dont care how many years he spent in Canada, he has no birth right or blood to Canada. since this doesnt bother you, i cant wait for Tavares, Stamkos, Perry, Carter, Thornton, etc to all get US citizenship and want to represent the US since many of them will be spending half their adult life in the states. just chosing sides because you moved to a certain country is wrong imo. you need to have some kind of birth right no matter what country it is.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 12:59 AM
  #67
YogiCanucks
Registered User
 
YogiCanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,445
vCash: 500
I've always said, Who wins at the Olympics is really up for grabs between the hockey nations but if there was a tourny for Team Bs or Team Cs of each country, Canada would dominate.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 06:51 AM
  #68
0123456789*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaV View Post
I cannot be really surprising that Canada has good or even great depth. Again, their population is larger than Sweden, Finland, Czech Republic and Slovakia combined.
The very fist thing I thought off when I read this.

5.3mill Slovakia
5.3mill Finland
9.3mill Sweden
10.3mill Czech republic
= 30.2

Canada = 33.8 mill people

33.8 > 30.2

Even Ontario has more people than any one of these countries, Quebec has more people then 2 of these countries and Toronto has more people than two of these countries.

just to put things in perspective.

0123456789* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 07:03 AM
  #69
Eisen
Registered User
 
Eisen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Eugene
Country: Germany
Posts: 6,481
vCash: 500
Germany wouldn`t say no to Heatley

Eisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 07:09 AM
  #70
TheCH*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
How arrogant for a nation that hasn't won a medal in Olympic hockey since 2002, and has only won 1 gold medal in the past 58 years.
Touchy touchy. There is no denying Canada's hockey depth which is what this thread is about and was not even started by a Canadian..

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 07:19 AM
  #71
Riddarn
1980-2011
 
Riddarn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 9,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
I wish Lucic and Fisher were Swedish
While that would be awesome, as long as Bengt ┼ke Gustafsson is coach they would not be selected. Just as Douglas Murray won't get selected unless there are a ton of injuries.

No, I wish Mike Babcock (or any other competent veteran NHL coach with the appropriate experience) was the swedish coach. That would help us the most.

Riddarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 07:23 AM
  #72
TheCH*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alesmarv View Post
The very fist thing I thought off when I read this.

5.3mill Slovakia
5.3mill Finland
9.3mill Sweden
10.3mill Czech republic
= 30.2

Canada = 33.8 mill people

33.8 > 30.2

Even Ontario has more people than any one of these countries, Quebec has more people then 2 of these countries and Toronto has more people than two of these countries.

just to put things in perspective.
US has 300+ million people, Russia has like 140+ million, France 62 million, Germany 82 million,.. Population has little to do with it. Yeah it helps, but the main reason is how much Canada loves hockey. Its probably the only country in the world where hockey is the main sport.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 07:29 AM
  #73
eddy
Registered User
 
eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,673
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
ummmm yes. i dont care how many years he spent in Canada, he has no birth right or blood to Canada. since this doesnt bother you, i cant wait for Tavares, Stamkos, Perry, Carter, Thornton, etc to all get US citizenship and want to represent the US since many of them will be spending half their adult life in the states. just chosing sides because you moved to a certain country is wrong imo. you need to have some kind of birth right no matter what country it is.
I think it comes down to their own personal choice as to which nation they feel more a part of as a person and no one should have the right to tell them otherwise stopping them from playing for the country they identify themselves with most. This kind of thing happens happens all the time in sport. I know being a follower of rugby and soccer there are countless players who don't play for their birth country. especially in soccer you can probably pick out a few guys on almost any national team that was born elsewhere. The other scenario of course is the player knows they have next to no shot at making their birth countries team i.e Pominville but have the opportunity to play elsewhere and take advantage and there is nothing wrong with that either imo. As for the Canadian players you mentioned about switching to the states don't know if you're actually being serious there because first of all they've all already represented canada at international events making it impossible to switch at this point i believe and i highly doubt they would even consider anyway.


Last edited by eddy: 12-19-2009 at 09:45 AM.
eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 09:33 AM
  #74
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers
 
Frank the Tank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
ummmm yes. i dont care how many years he spent in Canada, he has no birth right or blood to Canada. since this doesnt bother you, i cant wait for Tavares, Stamkos, Perry, Carter, Thornton, etc to all get US citizenship and want to represent the US since many of them will be spending half their adult life in the states. just chosing sides because you moved to a certain country is wrong imo. you need to have some kind of birth right no matter what country it is.
You present an ignorant viewpoint about what becoming naturalized in a country to which one has no birth connection entails. It is not simply "choosing sides" as if this were a shiny match. Indeed, one could argue that naturalized citizens have made more of an active commitment to their new country than those who received citizenship by birth. Where one grows up and forms lifelong connections, even if it not where one was born, is often very important to ones personal and national identity. If one decides to make a serious commitment to their "new" home country, who are you to demand such individuals should be forced to play in their birth country?

Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 10:44 AM
  #75
Grabovski
Грабовский правил
 
Grabovski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Gomel, Belarus
Country: Belarus
Posts: 3,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
ummmm yes. i dont care how many years he spent in Canada, he has no birth right or blood to Canada. since this doesnt bother you, i cant wait for Tavares, Stamkos, Perry, Carter, Thornton, etc to all get US citizenship and want to represent the US since many of them will be spending half their adult life in the states. just chosing sides because you moved to a certain country is wrong imo. you need to have some kind of birth right no matter what country it is.
Myers probably wanted to play for Canada because he wanted to win? And besides I doubt Tavares, Stamkos, Perry, Carter and Thornton would want to play for USA LOL!

Grabovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ę2014 All Rights Reserved.