HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Canada should donate some players

Old
12-19-2009, 11:49 AM
Raging Bull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafs38 View Post
Myers probably wanted to play for Canada because he wanted to win? And besides I doubt Tavares, Stamkos, Perry, Carter and Thornton would want to play for USA LOL!
They couldn't anyways all of them have represented Canada internationally already. His post was a whole lot of FAIL.

Raging Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 11:51 AM
eaton28

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
ummmm yes. i dont care how many years he spent in Canada, he has no birth right or blood to Canada. since this doesnt bother you, i cant wait for Tavares, Stamkos, Perry, Carter, Thornton, etc to all get US citizenship and want to represent the US since many of them will be spending half their adult life in the states. just chosing sides because you moved to a certain country is wrong imo. you need to have some kind of birth right no matter what country it is.
can you blame myers? he picked the better country. no real canadian (brett hull is a bum) would ever think of going to the states

eaton28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 12:03 PM
Grabovski
Грабовский правил

If Quebec had a team that would be sick. They would have Savard, Bergeron, Lecavalier, St. Louis, Gange, Bernier, Beachumin, Brodeur, Fleury, Luongo, Giguere. And alot more which I can't think of.

Grabovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 12:21 PM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Quote:
If Quebec had a team that would be sick. They would have Savard, Bergeron, Lecavalier, St. Louis, Gange, Bernier, Beachumin, Brodeur, Fleury, Luongo, Giguere. And alot more which I can't think of.
In the numerous threads that have divided Canada into regional teams, Team Quebec has always suffered from a lack of elite defenders. Goaltending is always a definite strong point.

Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
ummmm yes. i dont care how many years he spent in Canada, he has no birth right or blood to Canada. since this doesnt bother you, i cant wait for Tavares, Stamkos, Perry, Carter, Thornton, etc to all get US citizenship and want to represent the US since many of them will be spending half their adult life in the states. just chosing sides because you moved to a certain country is wrong imo. you need to have some kind of birth right no matter what country it is.
ummmmmm WOW

Don't worry, he'll probably marry a girl from the Buffalo area and have children in the Buffalo area, then the bloodlines will revert back to the AmericanDream

PS: If Crosby was born in England, moved to the states at 10, you'd say he shouldn't be allowed to play for your country?

PSS: I hope your as adamant about birthright when it comes to all the children born to illegals. They're American, aren't they?

2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 01:45 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan001 View Post
PSS: I hope your as adamant about birthright when it comes to all the children born to illegals. They're American, aren't they?
I'd guess Jamaican

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 02:42 PM
missinthejets

Quote:
Originally Posted by alesmarv View Post
The very fist thing I thought off when I read this.

5.3mill Slovakia
5.3mill Finland
9.3mill Sweden
10.3mill Czech republic
= 30.2

Canada = 33.8 mill people

33.8 > 30.2

Even Ontario has more people than any one of these countries, Quebec has more people then 2 of these countries and Toronto has more people than two of these countries.

just to put things in perspective.
Ok but put together regional teams for Canada. Look at a potential roster for team ontario or team quebec or team western canada and tell me that those rosters are not comparable on paper.

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 03:51 PM
RewBicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaV View Post
I cannot be really surprising that Canada has good or even great depth. Again, their population is larger than Sweden, Finland, Czech Republic and Slovakia combined.
If so, only barely... Never heard the "population argument" applied to Canada. The fact is that despite having pretty much the same population as those four countries combined, there are almost three times as many people enrolled to play hockey in Canada as there are in those countries combined. That makes the difference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_hoc...ers_by_country

RewBicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 03:55 PM
Gil Gunderson

vCash: 767
Quote:
Savard is not from Quebec. They would easily have the best goaltending, but defense is another story.

Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 03:59 PM
Tobias

Send a message via Skype™ to Tobias
no surprise this comes from a Swiss ..

nationalize Canadians is not the right way to build a good team. Do it yourself...

Tobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 04:00 PM
Fregus
Modo Hockey

Before you send two teams to the olympics, try to win with the best you got, ok?

Fregus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 04:07 PM
RewBicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredrikGustafsson View Post
Before you send two teams to the olympics, try to win with the best you got, ok?
Actually, I have no doubt their chances would actually improve by sending two teams. The relatively minor dilution of player quality on both teams would not outweigh the benefits. Two highly competitive to elite teams would be more likely than one to avoid/overcome off nights that include hot goaltenders, perfectly played systems, and bad puck luck. One game playoffs involve a fair bit of luck.

No other country in the world has the depth of talent to be able to say this. No other team in the world, including Russia, might actually have their chances improve by sending two teams, because the talent dilution would be too great, and both teams would be uncompetitive. That's the point.

Last edited by RewBicks: 12-19-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Old
12-19-2009, 04:14 PM
Fregus
Modo Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RewBicks View Post
Actually, I have no doubt their chances would actually improve by sending two teams. The dilution of quality players would not outweigh the benefits. Two highly competitive to elite teams would be more likely than one to avoid/overcome off nights that include hot goaltenders, perfectly played systems, and bad puck luck. One game playoffs involve a fair bit of luck.

No other country in the world has the depth of talent to be able to say this. No other team in the world, including Russia, might actually have their chances improve by sending two teams because the talent dilution would be too great. That's the point.
Well I realize that as well.
I just mean that ju shouldn't be so cocky when you just have won 1 of 3 olympics since all countries participates with their best team.

Old
12-19-2009, 04:17 PM
RewBicks

Quote:
I just mean that ju shouldn't be so cocky when you just have won 1 of 3 olympics with NHL players.
Fair enough, but like I said, one game playoffs involve a fair bit of luck. Canada was absolutely dominant in 1998, moreso than in 2002, until they ran into Hasek, and that was it. 2006 was obviously a different story, but the issue was chemistry and bad timing, not talent.

Old
12-19-2009, 04:35 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

joke thread?

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 04:36 PM
Fregus
Modo Hockey

Quote:
Fair enough, but like I said, one game playoffs involve a fair bit of luck. Canada was absolutely dominant in 1998, moreso than in 2002, until they ran into Hasek, and that was it. 2006 was obviously a different story, but the issue was chemistry and bad timing, not talent.
Well everyone knows that Canada have more high talented players then any other country.
But the only thing that matters when it comes to the olympics is to put a team on the ice that plays as good as they can right here and right now.

Old
12-19-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
I just mean that ju shouldn't be so cocky when you just have won 1 of 3 olympics since all countries participates with their best team.
Who the **** is being cocky?
The thread WAS NOT started by a Canadian.

And I bet if you asked Canadians who their favourite player was (percentage wise) more would say it was a non Canadian as opposed to asking those of any other country including Sweden!

It's like saying the USA could field 2 (or more) competitive teams in baseball and basketball.
It's not being cocky, it's being factual.

Last edited by 2525: 12-19-2009 at 04:56 PM.
Old
12-19-2009, 04:58 PM
Fregus
Modo Hockey

Quote:
And I bet if you asked Canadians who their favourite player was (percentage wise) more would say it was a non Canadian as opposed to asking those of any other country including Sweden!
Well that not hard to understand why. If you're a Leaf, Colorado or Ottawa fan there's a big chance that you have Sundin, Forsberg or Alfredsson as your favourite player.
Most people in Sweden have a Swedish favourite team with only a few foreigners.

And, wtf does this have to do with the discussion?

Last edited by Fregus: 12-19-2009 at 05:07 PM.
Old
12-19-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Well that not hard to understand why. If you're a Leaf, Colorado or Ottawa fan there's a big chance that you have Sundin, Forsberg or Alfredsson as your favourite player.
Most people in Sweden have a Swedish favourite team with only a few foreigners.

And, wtf does this have to do with the discussion?
I see you changed your response after you thought about it a bit.

WTF has it to do with the discussion? As much as you saying Canadians are cocky

Old
12-19-2009, 05:30 PM
Fregus
Modo Hockey

Quote:
I see you changed your response after you thought about it a bit.

WTF has it to do with the discussion? As much as you saying Canadians are cocky
To be honest, I'm not really sure about how strong the expression "cocky" is. It wasn't my intention to make you upset.

Old
12-19-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
To be honest, I'm not really sure about how strong the expression "cocky" is. It wasn't my intention to make you upset.
I never get upset. Bad for your health

On another note Good Luck to Sweden at the WJC.

Old
12-19-2009, 05:35 PM
ronnyweed

why cant we just have mor ethan 1 team, in almost every event every country has multiple participants... bobsleigh teams have more than 1 from each country, why not hockey, just make us qualify fairly

ronnyweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnyweed View Post
why cant we just have mor ethan 1 team, in almost every event every country has multiple participants... bobsleigh teams have more than 1 from each country, why not hockey, just make us qualify fairly
To be fair, soccer, basketball, baseball, rugby don't.

Though I'd like it, imagine the BS we'd hear if both our teams bombed.

And when the Americans take hockey serious, they'd ice 5 teams.

Old
12-19-2009, 05:44 PM
Sanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnyweed View Post
Because there isn't a single team sports were a country has more than one team?

You simply cannot compare team sports with other sports. Hockey is in one group with football, basketball, handball, field-hockey, etc.
All of those have one team for one nation, as is the way it should be.

Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 05:48 PM
jekoh

Quote:
Without the one-game elimination Canada would most probably be without a gold medal in the last 3 olympics.

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote