HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Battle of Ex-Kings Goalies Tonight in Columbus

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-17-2009, 02:46 PM
  #1
Luuuc20
Registered User
 
Luuuc20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 174
vCash: 500
Battle of Ex-Kings Goalies Tonight in Columbus

Larbarbera vs. Garon confirmed in Columbus

Who you riding with?

Hope its a 10-9 game with Columbus winning in regulation

Luuuc20 is offline  
Old
12-17-2009, 02:49 PM
  #2
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tatooine
Posts: 19,782
vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuuc20 View Post
Larbarbera vs. Garon confirmed in Columbus

Who you riding with?

Hope its a 10-9 game with Columbus winning in regulation
Not a tough choice....

Garon well before LOLabarbera

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now  
Old
12-17-2009, 02:50 PM
  #3
Winger23
Registered User
 
Winger23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,612
vCash: 500
Considering the teams and standings, Garon by far.

Winger23 is offline  
Old
12-17-2009, 02:51 PM
  #4
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 31,136
vCash: 500
Please stop reminding us that LaBarbera was a King. It was an embarrassing moment in Kings history.

Ziggy Stardust is online now  
Old
12-17-2009, 02:59 PM
  #5
MxK1NGS
Registered User
 
MxK1NGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 2,828
vCash: 500
Garon actually did have some moments as a King.

MxK1NGS is offline  
Old
12-17-2009, 03:01 PM
  #6
TwzKing
Registered User
 
TwzKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 2,139
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TwzKing
Garon by a mile... its not even that close

TwzKing is offline  
Old
12-17-2009, 03:04 PM
  #7
Shellz
Registered User
 
Shellz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: California
Posts: 17,312
vCash: 500
I'll go with Barbz. With how piss poor the Jackets have been playing I'm going to say it's not going to change. But, I'm probably wrong like I am everytime when I predict something.

Shellz is offline  
Old
12-17-2009, 03:08 PM
  #8
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,548
vCash: 500
... LOL!! The misinformation!! It runs so freely here.

As for today, I'll go with LaBarbera; he's already beaten Columbus this season, so why wouldn't he beat them again?

As for the goalies themselves, they're about even -- they each have one good half-season in their careers. Where's the difference?

And not only that, LaBarbera was clearly better as a King than Garon was. Just because Garon played more games overall doesn't change that he mostly sucked as a King.

JT Dutch* is offline  
Old
12-17-2009, 03:13 PM
  #9
The Black1963
Grit & Character
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orange County CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,293
vCash: 3733
I don't believe in hating just because they're former kings. They did the best they could and have now moved on.

With that said, since Labs is in our division, I'm hoping for the jacket to come through but I hope they equally have a great game.

The Black1963 is offline  
Old
12-17-2009, 03:15 PM
  #10
wabwat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: pasadena, ca.
Posts: 6,674
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to wabwat
i hope they both lose.

wabwat is offline  
Old
12-17-2009, 03:22 PM
  #11
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tatooine
Posts: 19,782
vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... LOL!! The misinformation!! It runs so freely here.

As for today, I'll go with LaBarbera; he's already beaten Columbus this season, so why wouldn't he beat them again?

As for the goalies themselves, they're about even -- they each have one good half-season in their careers. Where's the difference?

And not only that, LaBarbera was clearly better as a King than Garon was. Just because Garon played more games overall doesn't change that he mostly sucked as a King.
Yeah, we're ALL confused and wearing tin foil hats too




Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now  
Old
12-17-2009, 03:36 PM
  #12
ibleedkings
Is this real?
 
ibleedkings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Quartz Hill
Country: United States
Posts: 1,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... LOL!! The misinformation!! It runs so freely here.

As for today, I'll go with LaBarbera; he's already beaten Columbus this season, so why wouldn't he beat them again?

As for the goalies themselves, they're about even -- they each have one good half-season in their careers. Where's the difference?

And not only that, LaBarbera was clearly better as a King than Garon was. Just because Garon played more games overall doesn't change that he mostly sucked as a King.


Wow, LolBarbera better than Garon when they were Kings? I think not.

ibleedkings is offline  
Old
12-17-2009, 03:46 PM
  #13
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!
 
Mr Irreverent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,277
vCash: 500
I want Cloutier and Cechmanek to jump on the ice and start a riot.

Mr Irreverent is offline  
Old
12-17-2009, 03:52 PM
  #14
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,828
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Just no more 3 point games in the conference.

Sydor25 is offline  
Old
12-17-2009, 04:10 PM
  #15
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
Perennial Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,863
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... That's mildly interesting.



... Just check the facts, and you'll think differently.
When exactly was Labarbera better than Garon? In 05-06 Labs was Garon's backup, in 06-07 Labs failed to make the team and spent the year in the minors, 07-08 Labs first lost the battle in training camp to a 19 year old Bernier, only won it back since LA did not want to rush him, then lost his starting spot in the 2nd half to Erik (one game a month) Ersberg. Oh and I think we all know what he did last year. Meanwhile before we were forced to tire out Garon by playing him every game Garon was player of the Month in Dec 05, and the first goalie since Potvin to win 30 games.

Garon was/is clearly the superior goalie.

BTW, just a sidenote everybody remember back in the first half of 05-06 when everybody was raving about the best new goalie tandem in the league, Mathieu Garon and Jason Labarbera? How things change. Oh and this wasn't Kings fans, this was all around the league.

Holden Caulfield is online now  
Old
12-17-2009, 04:15 PM
  #16
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tatooine
Posts: 19,782
vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... That's mildly interesting.



... Just check the facts, and you'll think differently.
Funny how you have to change people's quotes to get your point across...


Oh yeah the facts...

Which goalie let his personal problems get in the way of his career and hurt the team?

Which goalie showed up completely out of shape, so He got send to the AHL and got stuck forcing the Kings to play the likes of Sean Burke, Fukufuji, and, Cloutier, and Barry Brust?

Which goalie lost his starting job to a rookie?


There is one answer to the above question and it's not Garon.

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now  
Old
12-17-2009, 04:27 PM
  #17
Lososaurus
Registered User
 
Lososaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: California
Posts: 646
vCash: 500
Go Garon. Labs played behind a not so good defense, to put it nicely, but he was just as bad.

Lososaurus is offline  
Old
12-17-2009, 04:32 PM
  #18
Winger23
Registered User
 
Winger23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... That's mildly interesting.



... Just check the facts, and you'll think differently.
I think it's a fact you are wrong.

Winger23 is offline  
Old
12-17-2009, 04:38 PM
  #19
TonySCV
Moderator
Two Timer!
 
TonySCV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,906
vCash: 500
Garon hasn't played more than 35 games yet.. of course he has the edge. He doesn't poop out until late in the season.

TonySCV is online now  
Old
12-17-2009, 04:47 PM
  #20
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
When exactly was Labarbera better than Garon?
... When LaBarbera got the starting job in 07-08. The only thing that stopped him from having a full season was getting speared by Ryan Smyth. Is that his fault? That's what necessitated the change in goalies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
In 05-06 Labs was Garon's backup, in 06-07 Labs failed to make the team and spent the year in the minors, 07-08 Labs first lost the battle in training camp to a 19 year old Bernier, only won it back since LA did not want to rush him
... Oh BS. Bernier was a bad choice for the number 1 and he lost it because he played like **** after opening day. He played 19 games with a SV% of .864. Dan Cloutier had better numbers than Bernier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Meanwhile before we were forced to tire out Garon by playing him every game Garon was player of the Month in Dec 05, and the first goalie since Potvin to win 30 games.
... Tire him out??? He just couldn't handle being the number one. He never could. Make all the excuses you want about it but Garon was one of the worst starting goalies in the league in 05-06. He played behind a better team than LaBarbera did and had worse numbers. Goalie wins mean squat when compared to how much the goalie is keeping the puck out of the net, and the fact was that Garon didn't do it enough. The ONLY good season Garon had was the half-season with Edmonton in 07-08.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Funny how you have to change people's quotes to get your point across...
... Funny how you have to show youtubes to get yours across.

And as for being in the AHL in 06-07, yeah he was. He was playing excellently. The Kings could have chosen to bring him up any time they wanted, but chose not to. Looking back, it's obvious why they allowed the scrubs to play, isn't it? Lottery picks.

JT Dutch* is offline  
Old
12-17-2009, 04:52 PM
  #21
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 31,136
vCash: 500
For the record, the Kings still ended up in lottery pick position when LaBarbera was the starter.

Ziggy Stardust is online now  
Old
12-17-2009, 04:54 PM
  #22
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,210
vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Don't let Dolemite hear of your Labs hatred, or else we will get two book volumes posted about how he is a #1 goaltender and how poorly the Kings handled him and everyone else in the organization and how, because of that, we will never be anything.

__________________

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is online now  
Old
12-17-2009, 04:56 PM
  #23
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tatooine
Posts: 19,782
vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
.
... Funny how you have to show youtubes to get yours across.

And as for being in the AHL in 06-07, yeah he was. He was playing excellently. The Kings could have chosen to bring him up any time they wanted, but chose not to. Looking back, it's obvious why they allowed the scrubs to play, isn't it? Lottery picks.
An image is worth a thousand words, videos million.

LOL was playing excellent in the AHL because He is a career minor leaguer the Rangers saw it, Lombardi saw it, and the Yotes will too.

The Kings didn't not call him up for pick reasons, they couldn't call him up or He get claimed and they'd be on the hook for half of his salary. If you remember it was mentioned in articles that Lombardi almost pulled a favor to another GM to claim him and trade him to the Kings so they'd have a goalie.
Point is- LOL put his team in this position by showing up out of shape and not caring in camp thinking He was anointed the starter.

Here are some articles on that topic
Quote:
Los Angeles finds themselves with one of the most awkward two goalie systems in the NHL. Dan Cloutier has played very poorly while he has shared Kings goaltending responsibilites with Mathieu Garon, who has been much more adequate. Garon is currently out with a groin injury. Los Angeles has Jason LaBarbera, who was their backup last season, playing very well in the minors. So naturally they brought up Barry Brust instead. They did this because LaBarbera must clear re-entry waivers to get back to the NHL. If Leighton got claimed, LaBarbera would most definitely get claimed as well. But Los Angeles doesn't want to give away LaBarbera so they keep him in the minors and use other weaker goalies in the NHL.

This is another example of the CBA keeping the best players from the NHL. It fits with the players who are left on the sideline or going to Europe because of the CBA, when they are good enough for the NHL. We also have players stuck in the AHL who are good enough for the NHL, but cannot get there due to the CBA. In fact, re-entry waivers is a big part of the reason some of the players go to Europe. They risk a situation where they get stuck in the AHL, unable to be promoted or else accept a two-way contract. So why not go to Europe where they will have a better situation and quite possibly more money? The NHL should be the league of the best available players in the world, but the red tape they have imposed on themselves is chipping away at that.
Quote:
This led to the Los Angeles Kings leaving Jason LaBarbera in the minors for the entire 2006/07 season, even though he was playing very well and won the Baz Bastien Trophy for top AHL goalie, while the Kings were struggling to find NHL goaltending. They would up using re-tread Sean Burke and minor league never-will-bes in Barry Brust and Yutaka Fukufuji instead. I oppose this rule because it is an artificial construct that keeps some NHL talent out of the league. I have written about this several times in the past including here.

The strategy of keeping LaBarbera in the minors hurt the Kings in 2006/07, but since they held his rights beyond that season, it ensured they would keep him into the future. Today he is their number one goalie. In the case of players in the last season of their contracts, this strategy makes no sense. There is no future to keep the player. If you wish to recall him, you might as well attempt to do so because he will leave at the end of the season without playing any NHL games for you. The only concern is that if he gets claimed, you must have sufficient salary cap space to handle half his salary plus that of a replacement player.
Quote:
Sunday, December 3, 2006 10:29 PM
Mirtle: Waiver rules drive Kings crazy

James Mirtle


Things in Los Angeles got just a wee bit heated late last week, something that came about in no small part because of the revmaped waiver rules NHL’s new collective bargaining agreement.

The Kings have been facing an issue with their goaltenders all season — the issue being that one has been good (Mathieu Garon) and the other, to put it mildly, has not (Dan Cloutier).

Garon went down with a sore groin last Wednesday during practice, so it fell to the struggling Cloutier to tend the goal the next night against Phoenix. But what ended up drawing just a little bit of angst from Kings coach Marc Crawford (and presumably the team’s brass) was the player who the team recalled to backup Cloutier that night.

Rather than bring up Jason LaBarbera, the Kings' backup last season and a former AHL goaltender of the year, the club went with minor-league backup Barry Brust to replace Garon.

The reason?

Due to the fact that LaBarbera has a one-way contract, he would have had to clear waivers in order to join the NHL team, and after having watched the Anaheim Ducks lose their minor-league ‘tender Michael Leighton earlier in the week, the Kings were understandably leery over the fact they could give up LaBarbera over what was going to likely be a short-term call-up.

Had Brust simply warmed the bench for the Kings' game against Phoenix, none of this would have been a problem. But when Cloutier got off to yet another poor start and allowed three goals on the first five shots he faced, Crawford gave him the hook in favour of Brust.

The rookie would allow four more goals against one of the league's weakest teams, and when Crawford was asked why LaBarbera wasn’t called up the next day, he nearly blew a gasket.

"That is something that is not an option," Crawford said to the L.A. Times on Friday. "… The way the rules are, if we call him up it adds to our [salary] cap. Someone will claim him and we pay half the salary."


That is the reason He wasn't called up. HE hurt the team, something Garon never did.


Don't think I didn't notice that you "conveniently" skipped all these

Quote:
Oh yeah the facts...

Which goalie let his personal problems get in the way of his career and hurt the team?

Which goalie showed up completely out of shape, so He got send to the AHL and got stuck forcing the Kings to play the likes of Sean Burke, Fukufuji, and, Cloutier, and Barry Brust?

Which goalie lost his starting job to a rookie?


Last edited by Gentle Ben Kenobi: 12-17-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now  
Old
12-17-2009, 05:04 PM
  #24
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tatooine
Posts: 19,782
vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Don't let Dolemite hear of your Labs hatred, or else we will get two book volumes posted about how he is a #1 goaltender and how poorly the Kings handled him and everyone else in the organization and how, because of that, we will never be anything.
I've gone round and round with Dolemite. He like JT Dutch , just likes to argue and never really has a point

But, If you want a good laugh...

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...1#post21929101


Last edited by Gentle Ben Kenobi: 12-17-2009 at 05:10 PM.
Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now  
Old
12-17-2009, 05:05 PM
  #25
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 31,136
vCash: 500
Observe LOLBarbera's great display of lateral movement:










- What a joke.





I believe this would be the last we'd ever see of LaBarbera at Staples Center,

Ziggy Stardust is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:39 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.