HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

Sauer for Tambellini

Old
12-13-2009, 11:29 PM
majormet

vCash: 500
Sauer for Tambellini

The Coyotes have been a huge surprise this year, and nearing the halfway mark could be a logical playoff team. Phoenix lacks offensie weapons but seems to be stacked on defense.

What does this proposed simple trade sound like to you guys

Isles send Jeff Tambellini

Coyotes send Kurt Sauer

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 11:41 PM
SniperHF
aufheben's Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post
The Coyotes have been a huge surprise this year, and nearing the halfway mark could be a logical playoff team. Phoenix lacks offensie weapons but seems to be stacked on defense.

Coyotes send Kurt Sauer
I dunno I kinda like the thought of adding Sauer on an already stacked team defensively. I don't think the Isle's want Sauer either since he has been out basically the whole year. If a trade happens I would think it would be Vandermeer, not Sauer who is on a favorable long term deal.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 11:44 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
I dunno I kinda like the thought of adding Sauer on an already stacked team defensively. I don't think the Isle's want Sauer either since he has been out basically the whole year. If a trade happens I would think it would be Vandermeer, not Sauer who is on a favorable long term deal.
....any more stupid penalties like the one last night and that may be a reality.

Old
12-14-2009, 12:58 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post

Coyotes send Kurt Sauer
Lepisto has been a pleasant surprise but he's not a replacement for a healthy Sauer! Plus they already have players in the AHL they could call up that could be as much of an "offensive weapon" as Tambellini.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 01:16 AM
SniperHF
aufheben's Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
Lepisto has been a pleasant surprise but he's not a replacement for a healthy Sauer! Plus they already have players in the AHL they could call up that could be as much of an "offensive weapon" as Tambellini.
I sort of disagree about that last point though. Tambellini in 22 games has 7 goals. If we have a guy worth 7 goals rotting in the AHL I want to go smack DM myself. But since I seriously doubt we have that much goal scoring ability in the AHL right now I won't.
Who in the AHL could give what Tambellini gives or more right now? I don't see anyone.

Again I reiterate that I don't think the deal makes sense but I just don't think we are sitting on a treasure trove of guys who could score 7 in 22 right now.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 08:27 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Sauer was unbelievable last season stepping in as a shutdown guy. I would rather keep him. You can never have too much solid defense. I agree Vandermeer has taken stupid penalties but being paired with Aucoin has formed a pretty formidable duo that plays physical. Personally I can't wait for Sauer to come back to add a bit more snarl to the blue line even though there is plenty of it.

As for Tambellini, I thin the value is there but I wouldn't do this one.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:59 AM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
Sauer was unbelievable last season stepping in as a shutdown guy. I would rather keep him. You can never have too much solid defense. I agree Vandermeer has taken stupid penalties but being paired with Aucoin has formed a pretty formidable duo that plays physical. Personally I can't wait for Sauer to come back to add a bit more snarl to the blue line even though there is plenty of it.

As for Tambellini, I thin the value is there but I wouldn't do this one.
Sounds like the Isles and Coyotes could be good trading partners, we are very weak on our blue line right now, but have a surplus of small offensive forwards.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 12:08 PM
Sindiggy
STH Row 206 Row D

Is he even going to return? I haven't heard whether he's begun skating or anything, and does anyone know what the injury is?

Sindiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 12:54 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
I sort of disagree about that last point though. Tambellini in 22 games has 7 goals. If we have a guy worth 7 goals rotting in the AHL I want to go smack DM myself. But since I seriously doubt we have that much goal scoring ability in the AHL right now I won't.
Who in the AHL could give what Tambellini gives or more right now? I don't see anyone.

Again I reiterate that I don't think the deal makes sense but I just don't think we are sitting on a treasure trove of guys who could score 7 in 22 right now.
I think his 7 goal stat is a little misleading. He had 6 of those goals in a 5 game span (including a hat trick) in late October. Since then he's scored 1 goal.

Old
12-14-2009, 02:19 PM
DesertDawg

I think the Coyotes can get Tanguay without giving up someone on the current NHL roster later on in the season.
I've thought about reuniting Maclean with Tavares... one far fetch scenario had Biron and another team involve...

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 03:00 PM
SR

When in the world is Sauer going to be back? This has gone on long enough, does anyone know, and actually know, not just guessing?

SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 03:19 PM
AnalogMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindiggy View Post
Is he even going to return? I haven't heard whether he's begun skating or anything, and does anyone know what the injury is?
Word now is just before or after the Olympic break. It's a recurrence of a whiplash injury he suffered two years ago in Colorado. Causing headaches and an inner issue which is leading to balance problems.

Docs expect a full recovery, but don't want to rush it to prevent a reoccurrence. Apparently was never treated properly to begin with, and was re-aggravated in the pre-season.

AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 03:23 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR17 View Post
When in the world is Sauer going to be back? This has gone on long enough, does anyone know, and actually know, not just guessing?
He sat two rows behind me at Saturday nights game. I was very tempted to go get a status from the horses mouth but he was clearly with his immediate and extended family so I didn't want to be "that fan".

Old
12-14-2009, 03:29 PM
AnalogMan

Quote:
He sat two rows behind me at Saturday nights game. I was very tempted to go get a status from the horses mouth but he was clearly with his immediate and extended family so I didn't want to be "that fan".
I know a member of that "extended family" and the update I posted above is from him. He was sitting to Kurt's right, and they grew up together in MN. They're very close friends, talk just about every day.

Old
12-14-2009, 03:44 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR View Post
I know a member of that "extended family" and the update I posted above is from him. He was sitting to Kurt's right, and they grew up together in MN. They're very close friends, talk just about every day.
Sweet, I'll consider that solid information then!

It was kind of funny because at the end of the 1st period my buddy starting asking me questions about Sauer. I did my best to answer what I could and then suggested we go grab something to drink. I stand up, turn around and there is Sauer. lol...I was like, uh...that guy right there could probably answer your questions better than me!

Old
12-14-2009, 03:52 PM
SR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR View Post
Would it be in our favor to trade him, as he is useless until after the break?

SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 04:19 PM
pyregretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR17 View Post
Would it be in our favor to trade him, as he is useless until after the break?
I think he is worth more to the team than what he could bring back in a trade plus for the stretch run having the luxury of extra quality defensemen could be invaluable if any injuries or suspensions happen

pyregretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 04:22 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyregretzky View Post
I think he is worth more to the team than what he could bring back in a trade plus for the stretch run having the luxury of extra quality defensemen could be invaluable if any injuries or suspensions happen
This is especially true at his salary.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 04:47 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Trading Sauer would be foolish IMHO. The main reason the Yotes haven't floundered during all those injuries is because of depth. You lose that depth and you're a tailspin waiting to happen. If it's one thing you can count on it's injuries, so having and keeping defensive depth is important. Not to mention, Sauer was arguably their best overall defender last year. He's big, mean, capable and signed to a very reasonable contract.

Old
12-18-2009, 01:10 AM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

1. Their isnt a rumor out there that says this could happen.
2. I would do this in a second bc Tamby can put the puck in the net and is a solid goal scorer. He could be a great 2nd maybe first to go along with Upshall and Lombo...I am really high on Tamby.

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 08:03 AM
AnalogMan

Quote:
Trading Sauer would be foolish IMHO. The main reason the Yotes haven't floundered during all those injuries is because of depth. You lose that depth and you're a tailspin waiting to happen. If it's one thing you can count on it's injuries, so having and keeping defensive depth is important. Not to mention, Sauer was arguably their best overall defender last year. He's big, mean, capable and signed to a very reasonable contract.
Totally agree. I'm told his injury is finally being treated properly and should not linger like concussions tend to do, so the risk of re-injury is minimal.

When the injury occurred in Decemeber 2007 it was initially diagnosed as a neck injury, then it was reported the diagnosis changed to concussion and he missed about 30 games.

All was good until this year when he was injured again and it was determined it was related to the injury two years ago. And that the original diagnosis two years ago of neck, not concussion, had been correct. But the whiplash-like neck injury was never properly treated. Now it is.

He's signed through the 2011-12 season at $1.75M per, loves it here, and when healthy is probably our best defensive defenseman. And he turns 29 next month. I see no reason to even contemplate moving him.