HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Has Nilsson turned the corner?

View Poll Results: Has Robert Nilsson turned the corner?
Yes 18 12.86%
No 13 9.29%
It's too early to tell 102 72.86%
It will never happen 7 5.00%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-18-2009, 09:52 AM
Mentallydull

vCash: 500
Has Nilsson turned the corner?

I've always been of the mind that Nilsson definitely has the ability and all he needed was the consistency to make him a great player.

I was frustrated, like the rest of the Oilers fans, with his play over the past year or two, but ever since his concussion, imo, he has been playing great. He's helping to support the puck carriers, supporting the D, skating hard on the backcheck, and forechecking - not to mention his highlight goals.

It just seems like he has been making better decisions with the puck and better decisions in regards to his play overall.

Agree or disagree?

Mentallydull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 09:55 AM
Homesick

vCash: 50
I'm not completely sold on Penner yet....Nilsson isnt even on the radar

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 10:04 AM
theranfordflop

Consistency is his big problem. But he seems pretty confident out there. Moreso than ever before.

theranfordflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 10:09 AM
OilCity99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
how is it that penner hasn't sold you on his ability to be a elite powerforward exactly??

OilCity99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 10:12 AM
Ghostbuster
Who ya gonna call?

Quote:
+1

I need 2 seasons of good playing before I can call either one a changed player.

Ghostbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 10:12 AM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilCity99 View Post
how is it that penner hasn't sold you on his ability to be a elite powerforward exactly??

You aren't that until you are able to put 2 yrs in a row of what he is doing.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 10:16 AM
Stoneman89

I vote waaaaaay too early to make an assessment. I'll enjoy his play for the moment, but reserve judgement till sometime in say, March.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 10:20 AM
CantHaveTkachev
"Visually"

vCash: 785
way too early....remember how good Nilsson was at the end of the 07-08 season and was rewarded with that contract?

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 10:29 AM
mactforcoach

If Nilsson has in fact turned the corner, and is ready to play at his present level game in and game out, bye bye Hemsky.

mactforcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 10:34 AM
CorpseFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mactforcoach View Post
If Nilsson has in fact turned the corner, and is ready to play at his present level game in and game out, bye bye Hemsky.
yeah right.
that dude has shown nothing to dominate a guy with his skills. Hemsky might only do it once in a while, but Nilsson doesnt even come close to carrying a team - just because he has a decent stretch of points. that dude has a LONG way to go at proving that.

hes like a Maxim Afinogenov of the Oilers. shows up once ever 3 years and then goes invisible for the rest of his life.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 11:03 AM
mactforcoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
yeah right.
that dude has shown nothing to dominate a guy with his skills. Hemsky might only do it once in a while, but Nilsson doesnt even come close to carrying a team - just because he has a decent stretch of points. that dude has a LONG way to go at proving that.

hes like a Maxim Afinogenov of the Oilers. shows up once ever 3 years and then goes invisible for the rest of his life.
I'm not saying that Nilsson can carry the team right now, but he could become a major piece. I'm tired of hearing for the last 4 years how they need to find someone to play with Hemsky. That's why they always pass on so many players each summer, trying to land the big fish. I think Nilsson could continue to grow and improve with the present line up. Hemsky, not so much. Nilsson seems to be capable of incorporating other players into his game. Hemsky, not so much.

mactforcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 11:14 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

If Nilsson stock is going up so that the Oilers are able to mvoe him I would pull the trigger on him. Nilsson for Mueller would be a good project. Of if they want to clear a body take a 2nd rounder and run.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 12:22 PM
Philly85
Raps'

It will never happen.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 12:26 PM
Joseppi

vCash: 131
Waaaaaaaay too early to tell.

80% of games with consistent play and we'll talk.

Joseppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 12:35 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Couldn't agree with you more. Penner has to keep this up for a while before I "forget" about his previous years. As for Nilsson, if he plays this hard for the rest of the season, I could see him as a decent 2nd liner for the future, maybe.

ponokanocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 12:36 PM
Oilerdiehard

I got sucked in the first time into thinking he had turned the corner. When he did it for over half a season.

I think I will need to see him do this for 1+ full seasons before I believe it is here to stay.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 12:47 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
I got sucked in the first time into thinking he had turned the corner. When he did it for over half a season.

I think I will need to see him do this for 1+ full seasons before I believe it is here to stay.
Yep. I never got sucked in the first time and have never been fond of the player.

That said I suggested that guys like Sully, Nilsson, Brule would be able to pick up the slack in the absence of Hemsky. Also Comrie when he returns.

Nilsson has often been good in some assignments and for instance PP but as Quinn states his overall game still needs to grow.

As for the turning the corner I think we need to look at the nature of his contributions thus far. His latest goals have been instances where he was left able to walk right in on the goalie. Yeah he's very dangerous one on one with a goalie.

Trouble is you score a few goals like that and it gets noticed and clubs in time will start to mark you closer. After the 07 success Nilsson and Gagner received more marking. They were unable to sustain anything with increased coverage,

A player only turns the corner in the NHL if they can sustain their play against focused opposition.

Nilsson is now only earning the focus again. Until now he's not even been on recent radar for opponents. i.e. his name wouldn't even be on the "look out for" chalkboard.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 01:01 PM
Seedling
Tier 7 fan (ballcap)

Although it's nice to see them playing well, I'm with the majority here. I need more than a good 30 games or so to say Nilsson or Penner have turned the corner. I need two full seasons or a full season and a great playoff run. Actually, two good seasons and a great playoff run.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 01:04 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
My thoughts exactly. Tambellini should take his time and if Nilsson indeed plays consistently, it's time to move Hemsky for a goal-scoring center or winger with size.

I think out of Gagner, Brule, Nilsson, O'Sullivan, Hemsky, Cogliano, they should only keep 3.

Right now my choices would be Gagner, Brule and Nilsson.

Cogliano and Hemsky have good value and will return something good in a package or on their own.
O'Sullivan probably does not have a lot of value, but if they can land a Brule type prospect, they should do it.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 01:13 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
Although it's nice to see them playing well, I'm with the majority here. I need more than a good 30 games or so to say Nilsson or Penner have turned the corner. I need two full seasons or a full season and a great playoff run. Actually, two good seasons and a great playoff run.
And Nilsson isn't even to close to having a good 30 games yet.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 01:25 PM
Senor Catface

vCash: 1937
I thought he "turned the corner" two years ago.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 01:29 PM
TheBusDriver
Private Eyes

If he keeps this up for another 40 games Ill say hes turned the corner.

TheBusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 01:36 PM
Tedi

Quote:
I'm not saying that Nilsson can carry the team right now, but he could become a major piece. I'm tired of hearing for the last 4 years how they need to find someone to play with Hemsky. That's why they always pass on so many players each summer, trying to land the big fish. I think Nilsson could continue to grow and improve with the present line up. Hemsky, not so much. Nilsson seems to be capable of incorporating other players into his game. Hemsky, not so much.
Comparing Nilsson to Hemsky and saying Nilsson is the better player going forward is nonsense. I hope Rowbear can find his game again but he currently isn't half the player Hemsky is. I mean what are you basing this on, the last 3 or 4 games.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 01:40 PM
okgooil

I always liked Rowber. If anything he was a victum of Comrie signing, to many small forwards. To me he has always been a 50-60 point player that just needs a regular spot on the roster.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 01:41 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

For sure I think Nilsson has played his way onto team sweden for the olympics too.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote