HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Has Nilsson turned the corner?

View Poll Results: Has Robert Nilsson turned the corner?
Yes 18 12.86%
No 13 9.29%
It's too early to tell 102 72.86%
It will never happen 7 5.00%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-18-2009, 01:42 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
I always liked Rowber. If anything he was a victum of Comrie signing, to many small forwards. To me he has always been a 50-60 point player that just needs a regular spot on the roster.
He had a regular spot on the roster last year and showed jack all.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 01:44 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
He had a regular spot on the roster last year and showed jack all.
He played 64 games, had 30 points and was +1.

I agree he took a step back last year, but at no point did he flat out suck.

If he gets a regular spot on the PP 2nd unit or first, and a top 6 froward spot. He will get 50-60 points year in year out.

He is underrated. remember to he is just 24, some players don't show up till a bit later.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 01:46 PM
jeetz

First Penner and Smid and now Nilsson. Quinn is doing a great job with project players. Vets like Vishnovski are having career years. Gagner is finding some consisency. Quinn is finding Gems like Stone and Potunly who are useful NHLers.

I would say that the depth chart is significantly dif now than at the end of last year.

Keepers (in no particular order):

Penner,
Brule RFA,
Gagner RFA,
Nilsson,
JDD RFA,
Stone UFA,
Stortini RFA,
Potunly (a great 12-14th fwd)
Hemmer (injured, lets see how he does next year), Horcoff (contract and brings a useful skill set),
Smid,
Vishnovski

Good/useful players who are trade bait would bring a good return, but would still be good for this team if they stay (not all would be moved but alll fall under this category):

Cogliano RFA,
Grebeshkov RFA,
Gilbert,
Souray,
OSullivan,
Hemmer (possible again depending on the return and when he is healthy),
1 of JDD or Dubnyk (go get Halak 1 of these 2 giants can back him up and get 30 games/yr) both RFA.

Contracts to move, may not bring much value:

Pisani (though I think they are trying to get him the 30 or so games so he qualifues for pension) UFA ,
Moreau (sheesh),
Strudwick (great veteran presence an rookie should take his place next year) UFA,
Pouliot (injury prone but good draft pedigree) RFA,
Khabi (hopefully he retires due to injury so we can get out of his contract cap hit),
Staios (he is a warrior but his age has caught him)

Players to make the squad next year:

Magnus,
Eberle,
Peckham,
Chorney,
Omarra?
Arsene?
Omark (maybe),
a top 3 2011 pick?

My guess as a 2011-12 roster

The only signif moves I predict will be Halak + A Kositsyn for Grebs + Cogs + ??, and Khabi retires

Brule Gagner Penner
Hemmer Horcoff A Kostitsyn
JDD Nilsson Magnus
Stone Stortini Eberle
Potulny

Vishnovski Smid
Gilbert Souray
Chorney Peckham
Arsene

Halak
Dubnyk

Last edited by jeetz: 12-18-2009 at 02:35 PM.
jeetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 01:59 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
He played 64 games, had 30 points and was +1.

I agree he took a step back last year, but at no point did he flat out suck.

If he gets a regular spot on the PP 2nd unit or first, and a top 6 froward spot. He will get 50-60 points year in year out.

He is underrated. remember to he is just 24, some players don't show up till a bit later.
Yet you can watch Nilsson on any shift any game and notice whether he has the jump or not. When he's into it and thinking out his plays before they occur he wins battles and anticipates openings. He can play keepaway with the best when he has the focus and jump.

Last night from the outset looked to be another good game from him. We've seen this type of enthusiasm before. But we rarely saw this enthusiasm from Nilsson last season.

Its like a night and day difference and visible when he's bringing it. Quinn and MacT both realize this and will grant him icetime accordingly.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 02:08 PM
mactforcoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
Comparing Nilsson to Hemsky and saying Nilsson is the better player going forward is nonsense. I hope Rowbear can find his game again but he currently isn't half the player Hemsky is. I mean what are you basing this on, the last 3 or 4 games.
I'm not suggesting Nilsson is a better player than Hemsky right now. What I am suggesting is that, if in fact he has "turned a corner" and what we are seeing is the real Nilsson, he may very well be able to replace Hemsky over the next couple of years. I think he could become a more rounded player, Ales is great for highlight reel goals, but he's ecoming injury prone, from the way he plays sometimes, and I'd rather not see the next two summers pissed away tring to land a shooter for Hemsky.

mactforcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 02:20 PM
Tedi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mactforcoach View Post
I'm not suggesting Nilsson is a better player than Hemsky right now. What I am suggesting is that, if in fact he has "turned a corner" and what we are seeing is the real Nilsson, he may very well be able to replace Hemsky over the next couple of years. I think he could become a more rounded player, Ales is great for highlight reel goals, but he's ecoming injury prone, from the way he plays sometimes, and I'd rather not see the next two summers pissed away tring to land a shooter for Hemsky.
OK, that sounded better. Like many others however I am not convinced Nilsson has turned the corner. I would only trade Hemsky if I could package him to get a franchise forward (ie. Eric Staal would fit nicely) to build this team around.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 02:30 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
And Nilsson isn't even to close to having a good 30 games yet.
Very true. He's really only been playing well for maybe 7-8 games IMO. As one poster said, "Didn't he turn the corner two years ago?"

Streaky players are frustrating.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 02:34 PM
surshot*

Who the hell is going to take Hemsky during or after a injury?.

How does this thread turn into a trade Hemsky thread?.

Hemsky is here to stay and any talk of him being traded is pure nonsense!.

surshot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 02:41 PM
Tedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by surshot View Post

Sorry about getting OT but I was responding to the post. And the topic was Nilsson replacing Hemsky, it seemed relevant to me. 1000 apologies.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 03:07 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeetz View Post
My guess as a 2011-12 roster

The only signif moves I predict will be Halak + A Kositsyn for Grebs + Cogs + ??, and Khabi retires

Brule Gagner Penner
Hemmer Horcoff A Kostitsyn
JDD Nilsson Magnus
Stone Stortini Eberle
Potulny

Vishnovski Smid
Gilbert Souray
Chorney Peckham
Arsene

Halak
Dubnyk
Not sure if I like JDD on the wing, I think with his frame, we should try him at center first.

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 03:09 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:

Don't be so sure about that.

Old
12-18-2009, 03:15 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
Not sure if I like JDD on the wing, I think with his frame, we should try him at center first.
No way he is a surefire 20 goal man on the wing. If you put him at centre and give him mroe duty you can expect to see his production drop.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 03:42 PM
surshot*

Quote:
Don't be so sure about that.
Your right that there would be teams lining up to screw the Oilers over to take Hemsky if the Oilers were ever dumb enough to ever think of trading Hemsky. But i am very very sure thats not even a consideration. If Hemsky gets traded it would only be in the last year of his contract and every attempt to re sign him failed that is for sure. Any talk of trading him is dim witted.

Old
12-18-2009, 03:42 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
No way he is a surefire 20 goal man on the wing. If you put him at centre and give him mroe duty you can expect to see his production drop.
Ya, but your not putting him on the 3rd line to put up 20 goals. Your putting him on the 3rd line because he's tall and has a french accent. So I think he'd be better as a center for the logical explanations I just pointed out.

Old
12-18-2009, 03:46 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:
Your right that there would be teams lining up to screw the Oilers over to take Hemsky if the Oilers were ever dumb enough to ever think of trading Hemsky. But i am very very sure thats not even a consideration. If Hemsky gets traded it would only be in the last year of his contract and every attempt to re sign him failed that is for sure. Any talk of trading him is dim witted.
It's not like they'd be trading him for crap on a stick. But there could very well come a time in the next couple years where both sides agree that a trade is best for both sides and a fair value deal is made that likely brings back a decent return.

Old
12-18-2009, 03:56 PM
Red Deer Rebel

I like what I'm seeing from Nilsson. Back when he was a healthy scratch, there was a news story detailing how Nilsson asked Quinn for a meeting after practice so he could discuss what he needs to do to get back in the line-up. Evidently, they had a private chat on the ice for 15 or 20 minutes.

That shows a lot of accountability and professionalism.

He also supposedly bulked up a few pounds over the summer in order to add some toughness to his game.

He looks better out there than he ever has, IMO.

Red Deer Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 04:01 PM
surshot*

Quote:
It's not like they'd be trading him for crap on a stick. But there could very well come a time in the next couple years where both sides agree that a trade is best for both sides and a fair value deal is made that likely brings back a decent return.
Yeah that is not happening. Thats a step in the wrong direction for a team that has its back against the wall. I look forward to seeing a healthy Hemsky next year playing on our first line where he belongs. This decent return you speak about is a pipe dream and can be achieved by trading a player that would not leave a huge black hole on our RW that would not be filled by any decent return. I am sure this is the case.

BTW have you seen JDD handle the puck i am pretty sure the only position he can play is goal.

Old
12-18-2009, 07:11 PM
mactforcoach

Quote:

Gretzky, Smith, Messier, is here to stay and any talk of him being traded is pure nonsense!.
I think it started with me, please accept my apologies.

Old
12-18-2009, 08:02 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
+1

I need 2 seasons of good playing before I can call either one a changed player.
exactly... the list of players who have played "lights out" for 10 games (nilsson) or even 35 games (penner) and then never repeated that run in subsequent seasons is a very, very long list.... if penner continues to play well into next year, then i will be sold on him.... the fact of the matter with penner, was that even when he was playing very poorly, he was still obviously worthy of playing in the NHL.... nilsson on the other hand doesn't look like he would belong in the *AHL* when he isn't playing well.... nilsson has a long, long way to go before most people will start expecting good things from him on a nightly basis

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 08:15 PM
Tommy35

# Pos Player GP G A P +/- PIM PP SH GW S S%
19 C Patrick O'Sullivan 34 6 9 15 -16 16 1 0 2 93 6.5
10 C Shawn Horcoff 30 7 7 14 -14 12 3 0 1 56 12.5
12 R Robert Nilsson 19 4 7 11 -8 0 3 0 1 30 13.3

Let's see, compare him to the other 2 players that have played 11 and 15 more games AND have never seen any PB time

Tommy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 08:22 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy35 View Post
# Pos Player GP G A P +/- PIM PP SH GW S S%
19 C Patrick O'Sullivan 34 6 9 15 -16 16 1 0 2 93 6.5
10 C Shawn Horcoff 30 7 7 14 -14 12 3 0 1 56 12.5
12 R Robert Nilsson 19 4 7 11 -8 0 3 0 1 30 13.3

Let's see, compare him to the other 2 players that have played 11 and 15 more games AND have never seen any PB time
except that nobody is talking about sully or horcoff here.... if you want to start a thread about them, then do so... and i can tell you the words for those two will be much harsher than they have been for nilsson

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 08:27 PM
mactforcoach

I doubt Nilsson has convinced anyone that he's the second coming. He has however shown me that he has a huge upside, and trading him for a roll of tape earlier this year, would have been the biggest mistake the Oilers have made in quite a while. I have the same funny feeling about O'Sullivan.

Old
12-18-2009, 08:34 PM
Tommy35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
except that nobody is talking about sully or horcoff here.... if you want to start a thread about them, then do so... and i can tell you the words for those two will be much harsher than they have been for nilsson
I just used my analysis as my answer to the thread,. but I defenetely agree that overall we're more pissed at POS and Horc

Tommy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 09:20 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mactforcoach View Post
If Nilsson has in fact turned the corner, and is ready to play at his present level game in and game out, bye bye Hemsky.
I would counter that with a bye, bye, O'Sullivan, Cogliano and Comrie. Keep Hemsky, Get a big skilled forward like a Frolov, Marleau, Jokinen and put either Nilsson or Brule on the 3rd line with Jaques/stone.

Eberle can take one more year of developing in the AHL.

It's not worth drawing up lines for but if he continues his play he'll have a place on this team.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 12:02 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

To answer the question? Probably not.

Robert Nilsson has done this before. Last year he went on not one but two point scoring streaks after injury. He did it in 07/08, too. He'll likely cool down and raise the ire of everyone once more.

I still like him, though. Maybe not an ideal player based on his flaws, but he's a guy who comes out ahead in the grand scheme of things and can look like a primary point producer for stretches of games.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote