HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Currently in the best position

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-17-2009, 10:00 PM
  #1
hockeyjockey
Registered User
 
hockeyjockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 280
vCash: 500
Currently in the best position

Based on the parity in our conference we sit 2 points from the Playoffs or two points from a top 2 pick...

personally, i would go with the pick but we aren't as bad as everyone thinks... just everyone is capable of winning games around us.

we'll see what we finally look like when everyone is in their proper spots... the fourth line players should be fourth line players...if Markov comes et al comes back and we kick ass, we can still win the division, if we reamin mediocre, top 5 pick is not out of the picture either...

hockeyjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 10:02 PM
  #2
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou
 
Myron Gaines*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,391
vCash: 500
We need to tank...we won't have a succesful team with a core that is not good enough and so expensive.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 10:05 PM
  #3
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
Look what Philadelphia did in one year of having a top pick and getting rid of dead weight...imagine a Tyler Seguin or Taylor Hall to build around with Price and Subban and the core of Cammarelli, Plekanec and Markov???

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 10:12 PM
  #4
MonacoBlue
 
MonacoBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
We need to tank...we won't have a succesful team with a core that is not good enough and so expensive.
Gomez needs to be gone like right now.
Gionta is okay but is really worth 5 million? Think about it: is a contending team paying somebody like Gionta 5 mil when NJ can just slide Bergfors into his spot and not miss a beat?

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 10:15 PM
  #5
Coach Brisebois*
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,146
vCash: 500
Why would we need Tyler Hall when we have PK Subban?

Coach Brisebois* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 10:16 PM
  #6
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou
 
Myron Gaines*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB91 View Post
Gomez needs to be gone like right now.
Gionta is okay but is really worth 5 million? Think about it: is a contending team paying somebody like Gionta 5 mil when NJ can just slide Bergfors into his spot and not miss a beat?
That's exactly why we're not going anywhere, but people don't understand...tehy want to make the playoffs year after year instead of getting closer to the cup year after year.

We as fans deserve much better and it's not because we want the team to be in the lowest position possible that we're losers...we want to win, long term.

Why do you guys think is the reason why we we're so great in 2007 and so bad after that?

The mix of veterans and young players in this team is horrible and the veterans are relied on way too much. We can't develop players for **** neither, so why don't we just make sure to pick at the highest rank possible?

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 10:17 PM
  #7
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Brisebois View Post
Why would we need Tyler Hall when we have PK Subban?
Are you serious?

One, because PK is a Dman and we need a forward to build around too?

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 10:18 PM
  #8
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou
 
Myron Gaines*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Brisebois View Post
Why would we need Tyler Hall when we have PK Subban?
Sorry, I love PK, but he's not going to be a franchise player in this team.

We need a legit number 1 center and forget about trading for it because we'd have to trade Markov, Price+

It's the reality of the league...despite our history and our story of succes we're just another team in it.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 10:20 PM
  #9
Lizard King*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,259
vCash: 500
The problem isn't the standings. It's the cap. We don't have any stand out players, nor do we have a decent top 6 and we're jammed against the cap. Also our goalies are cheap compared to the 5-6million goalies like Lundqvist and Miller are paid. This means we have way too much money invested into our forwards (and we slightly overpayed Hamrlik and Gill)

Lizard King* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 10:21 PM
  #10
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
What we could do, but its a wild guess, is sign the highest overall nonames still UFAs at this time of the year, then trade two-three of them with some of our players for better players or first picks from other teams.

I mean, it actually works everytime I do it on my PS3.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 10:24 PM
  #11
smon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
What we could do, but its a wild guess, is sign the highest overall nonames still UFAs at this time of the year, then trade two-three of them with some of our players for better players or first picks from other teams.

I mean, it actually works everytime I do it on my PS3.
The irony is that by posting such comments you are behaving in the same manner as the people you seek to criticize.

More on topic, as for where we are in the standings...don't know if you'd call being close to a pick ideal. But yes, all is not lost yet. When Markov returns the team will hopefully get a boost, but the team should still be in the playoff bubble area for Markov's return to make any difference for the playoffs.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 10:26 PM
  #12
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard King View Post
The problem isn't the standings. It's the cap. We don't have any stand out players, nor do we have a decent top 6 and we're jammed against the cap. Also our goalies are cheap compared to the 5-6million goalies like Lundqvist and Miller are paid. This means we have way too much money invested into our forwards (and we slightly overpayed Hamrlik and Gill)
Gill and Hammer will be in their final years next year allowing players like Subban and potentially Fisher to become fulltime NHLers in 2 years.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 10:35 PM
  #13
NHLfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 203
vCash: 500
Tank this season

Habs should tank this season. This team looks like it will finish in 7-8th spot and get eliminated in the first round in the playoffs. Lets just tank and try to get Taylor Seguin.

NHLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 10:36 PM
  #14
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLfan View Post
Habs should tank this season. This team looks like it will finish in 7-8th spot and get eliminated in the first round in the playoffs. Lets just tank and try to get Taylor Seguin.
I think you're mixing two guys

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 10:39 PM
  #15
Riggins
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I think you're mixing two guys
Exactly.

With Taylor Seguin and Tyler Hall we'll be a force!

Riggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 10:39 PM
  #16
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I think you're mixing two guys
We are trading players to Carolina for their 1st rounder and then cloning Taylor Hall/Tyler Seguin to have a third player for the line Taylor Seguin!

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 10:40 PM
  #17
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,954
vCash: 500
Tyler Seguin
Taylor Hall

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 10:45 PM
  #18
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
We are trading players to Carolina for their 1st rounder and then cloning Taylor Hall/Tyler Seguin to have a third player for the line Taylor Seguin!
jeee... Brunet'll get confused a lot

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 10:50 PM
  #19
Gary320
Registered User
 
Gary320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 14,625
vCash: 500
5 game losing streak and tank.
5 game winning streak and cup.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 10:52 PM
  #20
Slippin Jimmy
You'd Better RUN!
 
Slippin Jimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,955
vCash: 500
We should tank like the pens did

2003: M-A Fleury

2004: Evgeni Malkin

2005: Sidney Crosby ( I know draft lottery but obviously fixed)

Slippin Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 10:53 PM
  #21
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 15,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjockey View Post
Based on the parity in our conference we sit 2 points from the Playoffs or two points from a top 2 pick...

personally, i would go with the pick but we aren't as bad as everyone thinks... just everyone is capable of winning games around us.

we'll see what we finally look like when everyone is in their proper spots... the fourth line players should be fourth line players...if Markov comes et al comes back and we kick ass, we can still win the division, if we reamin mediocre, top 5 pick is not out of the picture either...
IMO the Habs aren't quite bad enough to get a top 5 pick. They need more injuries.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 10:54 PM
  #22
Lizard King*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Gill and Hammer will be in their final years next year allowing players like Subban and potentially Fisher to become fulltime NHLers in 2 years.
I would love to see hammer sign another year or two after his contracts over for 2-3 million and I don't really want to see Gill.
We would save so much if we get rid of Gomez, give Hammer a pay cut and bring up Subban and Weber/Carle/Fischer instead of re-signing Mara

Lizard King* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 10:58 PM
  #23
Ubercron9000*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 979
vCash: 500
We are a mediocre team. That is why we're in the middle of the pack. Only 1 year have we actually dominated with gainey in the mix.

Only choices we have is blockbuster trades or drafting. Wait until trade deadline perhaps gainey will get some assets. Bergeron could probably fetch us something...

Ubercron9000* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 11:06 PM
  #24
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty
 
Born in 1909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
5 game losing streak and tank.
5 game winning streak and cup.
Face it...

Win streaks make players and teams look awfully good

Losing streaks make them look unbearably bad

I am amazed myself sometimes at this effect

Even a useless 4th liner is an important key piece when a team is streaking...

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 11:06 PM
  #25
Etienne
Registered User
 
Etienne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,843
vCash: 500
I've asked this before but how exactly can this team tank for a top 3 draft pick? Markov will be enough to push the Habs into playoffs contention if you consider the way Plekanec, Cammalleri, Hamrlik and Price have been playing. Okay, Price has bad games once in a while but more often than not, he's good enough to give them a chance to win and steal a few games. A healthy Habs should have no problems making the playoffs.

If you want the Habs to tank for a couple of years, it means trading away Hamrlik, Markov and Plekanec at the trade deadline, maybe Cammalleri too, for a lot of 1st rounders which are not gonna be in the top 10 since other tanking teams won't touch those guys and take in a lot of salary waste.

The Molson bros will never agree to this; they just spent 600 millions to buy the team.

I'm all for ripping the team down and building it around Price, Subban, the Kostitsyns (like it or not, they got scary potential), the other young guys and XXXX young superstars picked up in the lottery draft, but I just don't see it happening.

Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:27 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.