HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oskar Osala Future/Potential

Old
12-18-2009, 07:22 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

vCash: 500
Oskar Osala Future/Potential

Hi I would just like to know what you think Osala's role could be on the Caps in the future. Also how long its gonna take to get him here and who he is compared to in your eyes. Thanks

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 03:50 PM
BPMrules

As much as he impressed last year, I feel like he is still a couple of years away at this point. Honestly, he could even be used as a bargaining chip in a deal to land us someone at the deadline.
His stock also seems to have gone down this year, compared to last.

BPMrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 04:01 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

He may need 1 more year in Hershey, which is frustrating as next year is his last year of waiver exemption.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 04:17 PM
txpd

I am not sure how he fits. McPhee likes less movement. Do the Caps move Semin or Fleischmann or Fehr for salary cap management and open a roster spot for Osala? If not, there's no place next season for Osala or Bourque or AGordon or Bouchard if they are NHL ready or not.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 04:19 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Tradebait

strungout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 05:17 PM
Atlas

I can't speak to his game but the kid has dedicated his life to the NHL by coming to NA and working so hard. Hopefully the Caps scouts have a good handle on his development and management is being honest with him. If he has NHL level skills we could sure use his size. He also has shown some willingness to fight which I like.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 06:04 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Tradebait
flash/semin's spot next year.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 06:07 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I want to like the guy. But haven't seen much from him in his time here. However I do have a good feeling about him being able to translate given his size and skill in close.

Definitely would like to see him show some flashes in the NHL though.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 06:29 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
flash/semin's spot next year.
He's come on after a slow start but he's going to need to make a pronounced jump the rest of the season to be a top 6 winger next season. I'm not even sure he'd be up for a third-line spot over a guy like Bradley if need be.

He's still pretty raw and the question seems to be whether he has the mental focus to put it all together on a consistent basis. He hit a wall last season after a very strong start...perhaps this time around it'll be the opposite.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 06:58 PM
ColincampbellOscopy

I'd trade him. He may be a good player down the road, but there's an equally good if not better chance that he's a 30 goal AHLer at best.

ColincampbellOscopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 07:18 PM
dogit

I understand he's big, can skate well, likes to check, and may score a bucketful of goals in the future.

Sounds like you put him on the 4th line until he shows what he can do.

dogit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 07:50 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogit View Post
I understand he's big, can skate well, likes to check, and may score a bucketful of goals in the future.

Sounds like you put him on the 4th line until he shows what he can do.
that's not the philosophy of this team for good or bad

Old
12-21-2009, 07:58 PM
txpd

the way this team is loaded with offensive talent at forward, the 4th line are crucial role players. Most other NHL teams have their character checkers and pk players spread over the bottom two lines. The Caps have a pretty good 2 line as their 3 and the 4 doesnt have room to give away a roster spot.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 11:19 PM
frasnap

He's a long-term project, as I think was expected until everyone was wowed by his play early last year. He's got the tools, but he's a ways away from putting it all together.

I'm in no hurry to see him. If that's true about his waiver status, that could be a real issue. I would expect him to be contributing in two to three years.

frasnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 11:29 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
He's come on after a slow start but he's going to need to make a pronounced jump the rest of the season to be a top 6 winger next season. I'm not even sure he'd be up for a third-line spot over a guy like Bradley if need be.

He's still pretty raw and the question seems to be whether he has the mental focus to put it all together on a consistent basis. He hit a wall last season after a very strong start...perhaps this time around it'll be the opposite.
Not necessarily their spot on the lines, but more their spot on the 23-man roster. Move Fehr up top 6, we all know he's ready, and then give that spot to Osala. Or some permutation there of. I wasn't suggesting throwing Osala in the top 6.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 12:13 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Agreed. Now with the emergence of three scoring lines that 4th line has a direct purpose that doesn't include development

Old
12-22-2009, 01:45 AM
Rumblick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
He also has shown some willingness to fight which I like.
Willingness, but not the ability. He may be the second worst fighter I've ever seen, and I've been around since Bob Clarke had all his teeth. He should seriously look into having his gloves surgically attached to his jersey so they can't come off.

In nearly every other facet of the game, I think he's a lock for an NHL career. Don't know if it'll be in Washington, though.

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 01:50 AM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

I agree Osala could be used for trade bait. This might sound a tad out there but since Semin is most likely gone after this year what do you think about trading Semin and Osala for Vermette + or is that way too much?

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 03:59 AM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblick View Post
Willingness, but not the ability. He may be the second worst fighter I've ever seen, and I've been around since Bob Clarke had all his teeth. He should seriously look into having his gloves surgically attached to his jersey so they can't come off.

In nearly every other facet of the game, I think he's a lock for an NHL career. Don't know if it'll be in Washington, though.

LOL!!!!!!

Who is the worst fighter?

Glad to hear you like OO's all-around game. Seems like he could be a good 3rd or 4th liner. And a guy who can man up in front of the net on the PP sometimes.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 04:54 AM
Garl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblick View Post

LOL what? He lost to Brent Henley and Deryck Engelland. This guys are professional fighters, and Henley is 6'7 255. Well, Osala also lost to Maroon, who isn't a professional fighter, but he is 6'4 235 aswell.
It's not like he was beaten by Gerbe and Dadonov.

In juniors Osala was an ok fighter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_co4...layer_embedded

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 12:22 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I wouldn't trade him at this point. He's going to take a bit longer to develop, but he's a guy that can be an agitator with at least little scoring touch. He can fill a role that's desperately needed on the club. And I can't imagine his stock is terribly high. He's not exactly lighting up the AHL.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 01:43 PM
Roccoman

a few years back i noticed Osala was pretty poor with start/stop agility, but decent in straight ahead speed.

last time i saw him he looked much quicker, although always a bit behind the play (i think it was an NHL preseason game so the pace was probably more than he is used to)

at this point he has no real "wow" factor and thus would not be a great chip in a trade... and with his size and decent hands, you hold out for him to develop - it costs us very little and could net us alot down the road.

Roccoman is offline   Reply With Quote