HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ilya Kovalchuk Proposals

Old
12-19-2009, 02:31 PM
CM-

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
Kesler and the Sedins are dealbreakers imo - them, along with Luongo, are basically our franchise and all four are untouchable (the Sedins and Luongo also have NTC's and really want to stay here) which is why we can't compete with a package that would include Carter for example. Anyone else either on the roster or on the farm would be in play. While I made a proposal for fun I don't think a Van/Atl trade works for either side at the end of the day, and we simply don't have the cap space to accommodate Kovalchuk long term.
I know but if we want a true guy that is capable of 50 Goals either Kesler or the Twins have to go (not just for fair return but for salary reasons as well. I agree we don't really have a chance of getting Kovalchuk (I still hope he stays in Atlanta)

CM- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 02:35 PM
Zal

Someone posted Kovy+ for D. Brown, JFMJ, and a pick.

There's no way Atlanta would do that.

It would be:

To LA
Kovy

ATL
Brown
JMFJ
1st

LA fans seem to think he'll be worth less to our team than any of the others. Kovalchuk will command a very high return.

This deal would be based on him re-signing, of course.

Zal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 03:41 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOCap1 View Post
why would you do that. with the way Edmonton is playing that pick could possibly be in the top 5 maybe even higher and you guys are not a true playoff team and this trade would not put you over the edge plus i highly doubt he will resign with Edmonton because he really does not want to play in a true hockey market (basically he doesnt want to play in Canada)
Could be? I'd bet it would definitely be top 10 and that's fine. Edmonton has a ton of kids and if we're not going to rebuild we need to turn some of our future assets into now assets. That deal would allow us to keep together the solid group of young forwards we've amassed (Gagner, Cogliano, Brule, Eberle, MPS, Omark).

As for whether or not he resigns, hey, it's a valid concern. But we have an ace up our sleeve: Nik Khabibulan. He and Kovy have played together both on the RNT and in Kazan during the lock-out, and they share the same agent. Khabi had some experience playing in a smaller Canadian market prior to this, but if he could be sold on signing up here again perhaps Kovalchuk could be.

If he did sign here I'd expect it to be one of those cap-friendly deals, but one that breaks the $100M barrier. Say, 15 years $120M for a total cap-hit of $8M.

Age 27-Age 34: $11.25M
Age 35-Age 37: $6M
Age 38-Age 41: $3M

=$120M

Could the Oilers afford that? By trading 2011 FAs O'Sullivan and Staios and letting Pisani walk/retire, yes:

Kovalchuk ($8M)-Horcoff-Hemsky
Nilsson-Gagner ($3M)-Brule ($2.25M)
Potulny ($1.5M)-Cogliano ($1.5M)-Eberle
Moreau-Stone ($1M)-Stortini
McDonald ($0.6M), O'Marra ($0.85M)

Visnovsky-Smid
Souray-Grebeshkov ($3.5M)
Chorney-Peckham ($0.75M)
Wild

Khabibulan
JDD ($1M)

=$288K in space including the pressboxers.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 04:16 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

I would never do that Sedin trade. And if Kovy re-signs why would we trade him? It's not going to be a sign and trade.

John Cena* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 04:26 PM
captainpaxil

carter for kovy even up.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 05:17 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
I would never do that Sedin trade. And if Kovy re-signs why would we trade him? It's not going to be a sign and trade.

I never thought I'd be defending the Sedins on the main board but you realize Henrik Sedin is 3rd in league in points right? And the Sedins combined would only make about a million more than Kovy (if he is actually seeking 11 million per)?

And Van threw in Schroeder on top of that? Ridiculous.

Diamonddog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 06:47 PM
CM-

Quote:
Sorry I didn't explain it better. If Gillis talked to him and he gave the notion that he was willing to re-sign with us I would be willing to part with the twins otherwise doesn't make sense trading 2 signed 1st liners for him.

CM- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 06:55 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsrules View Post
whats wrong with all these proposals god heres a better one of them all

to panthers

kovalchuk
pavalec

to thrashers

booth
horton
allen
2 first round picks
rights to tyler plante
tomas vokoun
I thought I had seen the stupidest porposals already, but I guess I was wrong.
Booth AND Horton, 2 firsts and Vokoun AND Allen, is Ovy included in this or?

Last edited by AwesomePanthers: 12-19-2009 at 07:14 PM.
AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 07:15 PM
TheSpaceman

MPS
Hemsky
and a 1st (top 10 pick)

???

TheSpaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 07:16 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Big Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordover View Post
MPS
Hemsky
and a 1st (top 10 pick)

???
Why would the Oilers trade Hemsky for Kovalchuk if the reason they want him is to play with Hemsky and Horcoff?

SLAPSHOT723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 08:51 PM
ArmchairGM

Quote:
Add Pavelec and Philly might start thinking. Possibly some conditional picks if he doesn't re-sign.

something like this..

I doubt Philly would do this but i would trade Kovy, Pavelec, 1st round pick, conditional picks for Carter, Giroux, Carle.
To Atlanta:
Jeff Carter
Braydon Coburn
Marc-Andre Bourdon
Jonathan Matsumoto

To Philadelphia:
Ilya Kovalchuk
Marty Reasoner
Christopher Schubert
1st Round Pick '11 (Conditional upon extension)
2nd Round Pick '12 (Conditional upon extension)
3rd Round Pick '13 (Conditional upon extension)

ArmchairGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 10:31 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Riot View Post
In theory, Kovalchuk should get the same thing Hossa fetched a few years ago.

1st
top prospect
good young roster player
average young roster player
Okay. I believe this will be the offer from Boston:

Boston's 1st in 2010
Hunwick
Wheeler
Colborne

Pretty simple. A pick and a prospect this year and two under 25 2nd liners with potential to help Atlanta right now. No conditionals needed to be added. Tough pill to swallow for Boston, but Atlanta is giving up Kovalchuk here.

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 10:48 PM
QuietReign

MTL:
Ilya Kovalchuk

ATL:
Carey Price
Matt D'agostini
Conditional 2nd round

QuietReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 11:11 PM
Mach 9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
Okay. I believe this will be the offer from Boston:

Boston's 1st in 2010
Hunwick
Wheeler
Colborne

Pretty simple. A pick and a prospect this year and two under 25 2nd liners with potential to help Atlanta right now. No conditionals needed to be added. Tough pill to swallow for Boston, but Atlanta is giving up Kovalchuk here.
That would probably be one of the better deals on the table.

Mach 9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 11:51 PM
Richter35

I think alot of people are assuming that an extension is to be signed upon a deal happening. kovy could get moved and easily go FA just to see how much money he can get. I think the best thing i've read so far is the philly deal centered around carter and coburn (so DW can take a mulligan on that Zhitnik deal).

ATL throwing in high picks is should only be conditional on him not signing, you guys are still getting the best player by a mile. If I were an ATL fan I'd be happy with

Carter, Coburn, Carcillo (I don't know if Army is staying with the team you guys could use the grit)

for

Kovy, Valabik (conditional 1st if he doesn't re-sign), 3rd

Richter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 12:50 AM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach 9 View Post
That would probably be one of the better deals on the table.
Thanks.Have to actually look at what Atlanta needs, not what people want to only part with. Wheeler and Hunwick make them better for their playoff run and the 1st and Colborne add to the prospect pool. Something about Wheeler and Kane together just seems to make some strange sense. Colborne is going to be looking for a job in the NHL next year and Boston just doesn't have the room up the middle with Savard, Krejci and Bergeron around.

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 01:09 AM
CloutierForVezina

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM- View Post
If I were Van there are 2 offers I would be willing to do.

Without an extention
To Atlanta - Ryan Kesler (I'd ask that he be future considerations if the NHL still allows that to be moved at season's end), one of Mason Raymond/Michael Grabner/Jordan Schroeder, & Vancouver's 1st 2010.

OR If he was willing to sign an extention with Vancouver
To Atlanta - Sedins and Jordan Schroeder.

To Vancouver - Kovalchuk and Little
No and Hell No.

Both sedins are way more valuable than Kovalchuk.

Do you honestly think our team will be better after that trade?

Kovalchuk-Kesler(???)-Burrows
Raymond-Hodgson-Little
Samuelson-Wellwood-Bernier

How is that better than our current lineup? We would be left with having to force Hodgson into a 2nd line roll that he may or may not be ready for.

Kovalchuk is good and all, but a 50-50-100 player isn't more valuable than 2 80 point players.

CloutierForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 01:27 AM
Agent007

Hank Sedin is on pace for 100+ points and by the way both the Sedins do have a NMC in their contracts so it's pointless to even think about trading the Sedins.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 01:37 AM
Kamal007
God Level

vCash: 50
Wow, some amazing packages for Kovalchuk. I doubt leafs have the resources to offer for him. If we have ANY chance with him, it will be on July 1st and not the trade deadline, judging by all thats being offered up for him.

Kamal007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 05:23 AM
TheNudge

Send a message via MSN to TheNudge
I would love to have Kovalchuk in a Detroit Jersey but there's no chance in hell that would ever happen. Since Detroit would't trade any of the following Lidstrom,datsyuk,Kronwall,Franzen,Zetterberg. The rest is for sale but it wouldn't be enough for Kovalchuk. so let's move on a possible deal and possible team that can take on the money and be the right fit. LA is out of the Question cause The GM don,t want any part of it. So it leaves Colorado,Phoenix,San Jose,Buffalo,Boston if they can fit him under the Cap and sign him for 8 M cap hit

Team would never try to get him are : Pittsburgh,St.Louis,Anaheim,Carolina,Minnesota,Tor onto,Vancouver,Washington,Montreal,Chicago,Calgary ,Columbus,Dallas,Florida,Nashville,New Jersey, Ranger,LA

Team would try but can t cause of Cap problem:

Ranger,Calgary,Detroit,Phoenix but never know with them,Ducks,Chicago,Flyers,Boston

Here's the Proposal;

1st Proposal;

To Boston: Kovalchuk,Ondrej Pavelec,3rd 2010,Valibik,Jason Krog,Christoph Schubert,Colby Armstrong,1st 2012

To Atlanta: P. Bergeron + Wideman + 1st Boston 2010 and not Toronto 1st + Wheeler + Tukka Rask + Sturm + 2nd 2012

This deal would only work is Kovalchuk sign and get a Cap hit of arround 8.5 M for the rest of is career.

This help both team. Boston get Kovalchuk with a cap of 8.5M,a great Back u,
plus alot of small pieces that could fill the holes. Atlanta jump of joy when they get Rask a potentiel Starter,
Bergeron that will fill the number 1 center,Wideman would help them in every erea of the D.

Imagine this

Boston;

Kovalchuk-Savard-Ryder
Milan Lucic-David Krejci-Marc Recchi
Vladmir Sobotka-Colby Armstrong-Byron Bitz
Daniel Paille-Brad Marchand-Shawn Thorton

Atlanta;

Nik Antropov-P.Bergeron-Bryan Little
Rich Perverly-Evander Kane-Blake Wheeler
V.Kozlov-Todd White-M. Afinogenov
Eric Boulton-Chris Thoburn-Sturm

Defence;

1st.Z.Bogosian-Wideman
2nd.Tobias Enstrom-Semela
3rd.Ron Hansey-P.Kubina

Goaltender;

1st.Tukka Rask
2nd. hedberg
3rd.Lethonen(injured)

TheNudge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 05:43 AM
TheNudge

2nd Proposal

To San Jose: Kovalchuk + Ondrej Pavelec + Kubina + Colby Armstrong + 1st 2012 + Max Af

To Atlanta: Ryane Clowe + Logan Couture + Pavelski + Nabokov + 1st 2010 if they have one + Vlasic +Kent Huskins(Cap reason)

They only do this deal if Kovalchuk sign before dealing and for a Cap hit of Max 8.5 M.
San Jose would look so Dangerous, imagine how would they look during the Power play.

San Jose team After;

Top 6

Kovalchuk-Thorton-Seto
Heatley-Marleau-Max Afigenov

Atlanta;

Top 9;

Antropov,Kozlov,Kane,Little,Perverly,Clowe,Pavelsk i,Todd White,Couture

D;

Vlasic,Hansey,Enstrom,Bogosian,Semela,Valabik

Goaltender;

1st.Nabokov
2nd.Hedberg

Old
12-20-2009, 05:47 AM
TheNudge

To Colorado: Kovalchuk + Lethonen

To Atlanta: 1st 2010 + 1st 2011 + Wolsky + Kevin Shattenkirk + Marek Svatos + T. J Hensick + Ryan Stoa

Old
12-20-2009, 05:57 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
From a Florida perspective (obviously a trade would never happen here), we could offer something like this :

Nathan Horton or Frolik
Michal Repik
1st round pick in 2010

Based on the asusmption Kovalchuk would resign.

Horton remains on a contract that has massive potential value if he can continue his current progression. Thrashers gain a young Top six winger, who almost certainly can be a solid first line winger if he decides he wants to be. Or you replace Horton with Frolik. Slick clever young forward who can be a regular 70pt + forward in the NHL within the next 2-3 years.

Repik is the organizations top forward prospect. Just under a PPG in the AHL, just turned 21, has shown glimpses in his small NHL career so far. Upside is that of a talented and gritty second line NHL forward who could get 30-30 in a regular year. Pretty much a can't miss prospect in some form IMO.

The 1st round pick is required, because Horton/Frolik + Repik isn't enough for Kovy. Likely to be anywhere from 5-17 at the moment, could swing either way. At the very worst its probably a mid 1st round pick, meaning another solid prospect for Atlanta.

Not sure if the value makes sense, and i know Florida would likely pass because Kovalchuk would never sign here, but a borderline young top line RW, an NHL ready young forward with upside + 1st round pick seems to be solid value IMO.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 06:10 AM
TheNudge

Why does Kovalchuk go to a non playoff contender. I know that Florida would be in the playoff if the playoff would start tommorow. But guest what where not there yet and when will be there Folorida won't be in the Top 8

But except that your offer is interesting. But it's no where close to be good enough to land Kovalchuk.

Old
12-20-2009, 06:23 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedro91 View Post
Why does Kovalchuk go to a non playoff contender. I know that Florida would be in the playoff if the playoff would start tommorow. But guest what where not there yet and when will be there Folorida won't be in the Top 8

But except that your offer is interesting. But it's no where close to be good enough to land Kovalchuk.
Im fully aware that Kovalchuk to Florida is never happening. Im posting on a message board ... i know its all fantasy land. Otherwise, i'd be banging some wooden hoe in Amsterdam right now.

As for the offer, i think its pretty much as good as Atlanta could expect. They are not going to get a kings ransom for Kovalchuk. The next contract Kovalchuk gets is going to be in the vicinity of ten million dollars per year, and trading an unsigned Kovalchuk is different to trading a signed version. The last decade highlights the relatively low quality assets acquired in return for a superstar compared with the expectations we had on what the return would entail. I remember when we traded Luongo, i certainly expected a much better deal. Likewise with Jokinen.

A Horton type player, high level prospect and a 1st is about the best package one could expect for Kovalchuk, considering the current environment and the variables.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote