HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#34: Rangers @ Flyers - December 19, 2009 - 1:00 PM (ET)

Old
12-19-2009, 08:32 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

vCash: 500
Only saw the second half of the first period. This is what I got by reading the GDT: Woot, bounces!
They'll come eventually. No need to press the panic botton any harder.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 08:44 PM
BerubeBox*

We're officially cursed. The Rangers had one of their worst games of the season - I haven't seen many, but how could they get much worse than that? And we still only come up with one goal. Why bother pulling Boucher? We had all the pressure we could ask for before that.

We got all the bounces. There's just no killer instinct, that's my guess. I wouldn't say there's no execution, just no execution when it comes to the last split second of what should be goals. We just can't seem to will the puck into the net when any other team would be able to. Lundqvist was great but I've seen hundreds of better performances by a goaltender.

One other thing, I don't like Briere with Carter. I'm not seeing any chemistry there at all.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 08:48 PM
FlyerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerubeBox View Post
One other thing, I don't like Briere with Carter. I'm not seeing any chemistry there at all.
I want to see the Frenchies together: Gagne-Giroux-Briere. I think that would be a line that might make something happen. Laviolette won't do it. He has not impressed me so far at all.

FlyerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 08:56 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
I don't know what Carter needs on his line at this point. All of the nice passes bounce over his stick, and he turns it over all by himself when his teammates create space for him.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 09:42 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Toronto beats Boston, who now moves ahead of us in the standings. The Flyers are now the 2nd worst team in the league, looking down only at Carolina.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 09:46 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Toronto beats Boston, who now moves ahead of us in the standings. The Flyers are now the 2nd worst team in the league, looking down only at Carolina.
These will be the new look at Wachovia soon.

We gave all our 1st's away. Perhaps Homer thinks if we tank its the only way we can get one.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 09:46 PM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
We're officially cursed. The Rangers had one of their worst games of the season - I haven't seen many, but how could they get much worse than that? And we still only come up with one goal. Why bother pulling Boucher? We had all the pressure we could ask for before that.

We got all the bounces. There's just no killer instinct, that's my guess. I wouldn't say there's no execution, just no execution when it comes to the last split second of what should be goals. We just can't seem to will the puck into the net when any other team would be able to. Lundqvist was great but I've seen hundreds of better performances by a goaltender.

Oh dear lord you don't want to know. Imagine the absolutely worst effortless game you've seen from the flyers this year and then strip them of all their talent except 1 guy. That's a bad ranger's game.

Regardless tough day for you guys....you guys have just too much talent to be this low in the standings....i'm sure you'll pull through with a great 2nd half (ala St.Louis last year)

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 09:48 PM
Orange Crush 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
This is news? They were (tied for) second worst in the NHL at some point a week to a week and a half ago.

Orange Crush 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 09:51 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post

We gave all our 1st's away. Perhaps Homer thinks if we tank its the only way we can get one.
Proving trades like that are so rare. You can't be gung-ho in the new NHL. Too many teams are too good, and not enough needs to go wrong.

That said, they're too good to be where they're at.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 09:54 PM
Weichlinghammer

Any possible way Richards could be lured into one of those funhouses where people vanish? Maybe fill with 10-15 drunk college girls from New Jersey. I just wish he'd take his uninspired play and absurd contact elsewhere.

Weichlinghammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 09:55 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
I have no idea what this team can. I don't think a trade is going to do ****.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 10:01 PM
mm6492

We should have top-3 protected the pick....never would think of that though.

We can not suck this bad. I am waiting, and waiting for us to get out of this slump. Now I am thinking to myself....is it a slump.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 10:17 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
They are learning a new system, but that is no excuse for the lack of effort.
In the last 2 games, I have not seen a lack of effort at all. I see a team that just forgot how to put the puck in the net.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 10:36 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
In the last 2 games, I have not seen a lack of effort at all. I see a team that just forgot how to put the puck in the net.
So...we can't finish? Yeah, that's what I've been saying for this entire topic.

The effort was there today, we just are completely horrible at getting pucks in nets. You can't blame it all on just losing Knuble either. We have too many talented players to just forget how to score.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 10:52 PM
Cleary84

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
Exactly. With a team of "finishers" no one is finishing.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 11:04 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
how can people say we had no effort that game? The team looked great, just Lundqvist looked better

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 11:10 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
how can people say we had no effort that game? The team looked great, just Lundqvist looked better
I was saying earlier that only a small few looked dull. Carcillo kind of faded off on that top line, showing he should still be on a 3rd or 4th line, but at least his get up and hitting was there. Hartnell did not look like he really wanted to work in the corners, and looked really dull. Probably the worst player of the night. He looked like he wanted to fight someone, but how he played and wanting to fight made him look like a higher paid Cote. Brainless with average speed. Even Coburn made him look stupid.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 11:16 PM
mypunkrock

Carcillo may just not be in 16+ minute shape a night. If he sticks, it should come to him.

mypunkrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 11:19 PM
hockeyphan25

I thought they actually played a pretty good game today. They should have came out to play from the beginning and not doing that is a problem considering how much they should want to come out flying. However, I have more confidence in the team winning the cup then I did a few games before Stevens was fired. Once this team gets their confidence back and start getting bounces, other teams will hope they don't have to match up against them in the playoffs. There are way too many good players on this team for this to keep up and we now have an actual coach.

I wouldn't go selling these guys at a discount, that would be the worst thing possible. I'm all in favor of trading two players on this team - Hartnell and/or Coburn, but they better not trade either of them just to make a desperate trade. Two players who must not be traded are Giroux and JVR, both of these guys are going to be great and are top six forwards already with entry level salaries. Well they now have 4 games to prove me right, so hopefully they come out firing on all cylinders and dominate these games. (Also during this stretch, Carter will bank 6 goals off of Hartnell and then LA will trade us Brown for Hartnell straight up).

hockeyphan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 11:35 PM
mm6492

I am not saying make a trade, blow up the team, do this, do that. However....

Slumps like this are where superstars such as Ovie, Kovie, and Malkin/Crosby can really help you out. Without someone like that, you need someone else to step it up. Right now, no one has.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 11:44 PM
Mr Oysterhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Exactly. This team is starting to look better. Just need to pot some goals.

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 11:49 PM

There's only so many nights we can say we were beat by a goalie, but the effort was good. Bottom line is that these players are getting paid millions to hit the goalies crest every night.

Shooter tutor time. Let's embarrass them.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 11:51 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post

They were already there. Saw 2 at the Pens game.

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 12:03 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Oysterhead View Post
You don't think so? The team seems to be playing more disciplined as far as penalties go the last couple games, we're forechecking better, outshooting opponents and seem to be limiting the number of shots on goal against. I'm not saying we look like world beaters, but I see improvement.
I don't know. I just see the shortcomings that have characterized this team, during its bad stretches, for a few years now:

- running around in their own end
- the 20 foot pass that doesn't connect
- the lost battles along the wall
- the senseless cross-ice passes
- the golden opportunity shot at the goalie's logo

But I wasn't expecting improvement after the coaching change, so I may just be in denial. I think in time they will pull out and tear up, but this looks to me like exactly the same team that has become mired in these slumps for three or four years now.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 12:23 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
and based on that independent assessment: TRADE THE WHOLE TEAM NOW. PANIC. PANIC. PANIC.

same things been going on on the Rangers boards; it's the nature of losing, especially when the expectations are high annually.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote