HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hitch Frustration

Old
10-31-2009, 09:34 AM
nateosu29

vCash: 500
Hitch Frustration

Through the early part of this season, in his post game comments, Hitch has talked about the team letting its foot off the gas late in games. Hopefully he is looking in the mirror when he says this. Seeing Commodore and Pahlsson on the PowerPlay in the third period of the Pens game was a joke. And to scratch Filatov for Boll made no sense... especially when you look at TOI and review the result of the shootout.

Hitch's system is geared towards defense and checking. After three years of building this team with that mentaility, the GAA this season is at 3.42? I think he has lost the players and they have no established identity. Eerily similar to results in Dallas and Philly that got the big man fired.

I am not saying the CBJ should fire the guy (yet) but letting talent rot in the press box is quite frustrating as a fan to watch. How many other teams would do this with the so called best prospect in hockey? Why did Filatov make the team if he is not good enough to play over guys like Boll and Blunden who are useless? It makes me wonder what this team could do with a more offensive minded coach behind the bench.

nateosu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 09:41 AM
jacketsgeek
What's that sound?

Merge with any of the other hundred Fire Hitch threads

jacketsgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 10:03 AM
EDM

I agree that HCH may have lost the team. There is no other good explanation as to why this team "lacks confidence".

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 10:05 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Hoisted on our own pitard.
We wanted puck moving defenseman, and got out of position defenseman.

Adam and Foote and Ron Hainsey would have been planted in front of the net last night cutting down the passing lanes, instead of scramblin out of position.

And Jaroslav Balastik would have won the SO last night for us.

Just sayin.

I have mumbled a few things about Hitch, but more about the coaching he's surrounded himself with.
When "something" isn't working this bad you have to consider serious changes.
Time for a new goalie coach? for example?

Just sayin.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 10:10 AM
Skraut

Yeah it's a shame we don't have a head coach with a plan like Doug McLean, or a coach that plays rookies like Gerard Gallant. He did an awesome job developing Alexandre Picard and Gilbert Brule.

Look at what happened the last time we gave up early on a coach who DID have a plan, Dave King. It set the franchise back 3 years.

But hey if you want the Jackets to become the Cleveland Browns, go ahead.

Last edited by Skraut: 10-31-2009 at 10:16 AM.
Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 11:07 AM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Yeah it's a shame we don't have a head coach with a plan like Doug McLean, or a coach that plays rookies like Gerard Gallant. He did an awesome job developing Alexandre Picard and Gilbert Brule.

Look at what happened the last time we gave up early on a coach who DID have a plan, Dave King. It set the franchise back 3 years.

Yesterday was a great example of what is wrong with Hitch's style though. Of course they shouldn't fire him, that's stupid. But he's made it abundantly clear how much he hates "track races", and you could tell how after the team went up a little bit he told them to stop it and focus on defence. And look what happened Obviously there's more than one person to blame, but I don't think it's wrong to put much of it on the coach when he explicitly says he wants the team to slow it down... and then they do.

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 11:23 AM
nateosu29

Quote:

You can not seriously think the history of the CBJ would be much better had King been here longer. That being said his replacements of MacLean/Gallant were obviously poor choices, but there were all sorts of issues with thise teams.

Look how quickly Philly turned their franchise around after they got rid of Hitch and replaced him with an AHL coach (who is still there by the way).

The nucleus of good offensive talent is here and we have a defensive minded coach who is intent on teaching lessons to these "kids" by moving them to the 4th line and scratching them to play lesser talents (Boll, Dorsett, et al.) It does not make sense and the victories are not piling up, so what gives? I do not think it is stupid at all to begin thinking about firing Hitch. After the embarassemnt that was the four game sweep in the playoffs last year. How long is CBJ management going to settle for hovering around 7-10 spot? The goal is to be in the number 1 spot and quite honestly, I do not think Hitch is capable of getting these guys there.

nateosu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 11:25 AM
BluejacketNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacketsgeek View Post
Merge with any of the other hundred Fire Hitch threads
What are the other Fire Hitch threads?

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 11:36 AM
Feicht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Now View Post
You can not seriously think the history of the CBJ would be much better had King been here longer. That being said his replacements of MacLean/Gallant were obviously poor choices, but there were all sorts of issues with thise teams.

Look how quickly Philly turned their franchise around after they got rid of Hitch and replaced him with an AHL coach (who is still there by the way).

The nucleus of good offensive talent is here and we have a defensive minded coach who is intent on teaching lessons to these "kids" by moving them to the 4th line and scratching them to play lesser talents (Boll, Dorsett, et al.) It does not make sense and the victories are not piling up, so what gives? I do not think it is stupid at all to begin thinking about firing Hitch. After the embarassemnt that was the four game sweep in the playoffs last year. How long is CBJ management going to settle for hovering around 7-10 spot? The goal is to be in the number 1 spot and quite honestly, I do not think Hitch is capable of getting these guys there.
I'd just rather Hitchcock wake up and realize that offense is a good thing; last night's loss can be directly linked to them playing the trap to bore the Pens to sleep. Instead it bored Mase to sleep, apparently. If they miss the playoffs this year, THEN we can talk about firing Hitch. Until then... I just cross my fingers he'll realize it's not just about punishing players for trying to score.

Old
10-31-2009, 11:40 AM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Now View Post
Through the early part of this season, in his post game comments, Hitch has talked about the team letting its foot off the gas late in games. Hopefully he is looking in the mirror when he says this. Seeing Commodore and Pahlsson on the PowerPlay in the third period of the Pens game was a joke. And to scratch Filatov for Boll made no sense... especially when you look at TOI and review the result of the shootout.
Hitch's system is geared towards defense and checking. After three years of building this team with that mentaility, the GAA this season is at 3.42? I think he has lost the players and they have no established identity. Eerily similar to results in Dallas and Philly that got the big man fired.

I am not saying the CBJ should fire the guy (yet) but letting talent rot in the press box is quite frustrating as a fan to watch. How many other teams would do this with the so called best prospect in hockey? Why did Filatov make the team if he is not good enough to play over guys like Boll and Blunden who are useless? It makes me wonder what this team could do with a more offensive minded coach behind the bench.
Ok, don't take this personal, but this is the last straw. LOL

Pissing and moaning over Boll getting 3 minutes and 44 seconds of ice time. Yeah, that's what cost us the game. What about the other 56 minutes and 16 seconds??

People barking over the team NOT checking and then ***** about the one guy who will throw his whole body into the boards. Don't even start on accuracy. LOL I'd like to see any of you gliding around at around 25 mph on ICE and then hit a moving target. We can set up a competition at the Ice Haus and I will personally pass out gold stars!! Woohoo!!

And when did a skinny 19 year old Russian become the Savior of all our ills?? I really like Nik but he's wet behind the ears. Not that anyone else notices. You wanna see Nik score? Get his ass off the 4th line. Jared Boll is proof that you can't score on the 4th line. While we're at it, get Boll's ass off the 4th line!! My God, who could score on that line???? Yeah, I know, most of you!! I'll tell you how bad it is, even I couldn't score on THAT line. Ok??

Now go be nice. Please. It's Halloween. Go scare the Caps board or something productive. Tell them stories of how we have a crazy Coach who says one thing but does another. Make 'em scared!!

(I love you all, well, most of you, and I understand your frustrated. Me too. But your barking at the wrong ghost.) JMO.

Last edited by CBJCougar: 10-31-2009 at 12:00 PM.
CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 11:58 AM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Filatov has skill, Boll does not. I knew drafting Filatov was a mistake the second we took him. Everyone told us Hitch wouldn't know what to do with a talented player like Filatov, and they were right.
Worst part about Hitch this year is he's clueless with his in game decisions, sitting on 1 goal leads with over 20 minutes left in games, benching the 4th line and overusing the top 3 lines, too loyal to players that are playing horrible (Tyutin, Boll, Huselius).
And for a Hitch team, we're giving up way too many goals and not scoring enough.
Hitch needs to adapt to the new NHL and make a system that's based on the talent of the players on the team, not the players he had 10 years ago.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 12:06 PM
phishstu

vCash: 50
A Who's Who of Potential Bench Bosses
Posted Sep 28, 2009 2:00PM By Christopher Botta (RSS feed)
Email Print ShareText SizeAAA
Maybe the names do not frighten the fraternity like Mike Shanahan, Jon Gruden, Mike Holmgren and Tony Dungy in the NFL, but there are plenty of accomplished NHL coaches on the sidelines waiting for their next opportunity.

To give you an idea of how the NHL coaching carousel works, consider this: before hiring Scott Gordon last August, the New York Islanders also spoke with Joel Quenneville, John Tortorella, Paul Maurice, Marc Crawford and Bob Hartley. Within a year, all but Hartley were back in the league as head coaches. Here are snapshots of some of the best coaches worthy of a phone call when teams hit the wall.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NHL FanHouse Season Preview:
Season Predictions | Other Predictions
Hot Seat Coaches | Coaches in Waiting
Ray Shero Discusses Life After the Stanley Cup
The John Tavares Handbook

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Established

Peter Laviolette: If a Stanley Cup in his first full season with Carolina in 2005-06 is not enough, consider that Laviolette has turned around every franchise he's been with. After his revival magic at each step in the minors -- Wheeling (ECHL) and Providence (AHL championship) -- Laviolette coached the Islanders to the fifth-best improvement in NHL history and the franchise's first playoff berth in eight years. Did we mention he's the best candidate available with a Stanley Cup ring?

Craig MacTavish: Teams craving experience and firm leadership will look to MacTavish, the head coach at Edmonton for eight seasons before sitting out this one in the TSN studio. With a Stanley Cup Final and more than 1,000 games played on his resume and plenty of friends around the league, MacTavish will be back when he decides an opportunity is the right one.

Bob Hartley: The coaching life can be cruel. Hartley won a Calder Cup with Hershey in 1997 and Stanley Cup with Colorado in 2001, yet it's his three-year stint with Atlanta that seems to define what the league thinks of him. Strangely enough, in 2006-07 Hartley led the Thrashers to the franchise's only playoff berth and they haven't been back since.

Accomplished, Not Available 'Til Summer

By taking positions as assistants, respected former head coaches Tom Renney (now with Edmonton) and Mike Sullivan (with the Rangers) are out of the running as mid-season replacements. Paul MacLean, in his fifth season in Detroit and seventh under Mike Babcock (also in Anaheim) is widely considered as the assistant coach most likely to succeed as a head man in his first job.

Big Name in Waiting

As was often stated when Wayne Gretzky resigned from Phoenix, extraordinary players often make ordinary-at-best coaches. However, there is growing sentiment around the NHL that Ron Francis will be an exception. Currently an associate head coach and player personnel director in Carolina, Francis -- one of the all-time great thinkers on the ice -- will undoubtedly be given his own team sometime in the next few years.

Top Prospects

Scott Arniel: Led the Canucks' AHL affiliate in Manitoba to a record of 141-73-8-18 over the last three seasons. Leads many general managers' lists as one of the game's brightest head coaching prospects.

Bob Boughner: Ex-NHL tough guy led the Windsor Spitfires (OHL) to the Memorial Cup title last year. With LW Taylor Hall returning and D Cam Fowler joining -- both are expected to be top-5 picks in next June's draft -- the 38-year-old Boughner may do it again.

Greg Cronin: Former Hockey East head coach and assistant (Maine), AHL head coach (Bridgeport) and NHL assistant (Islanders) performing miracles at his alma mater, Northeastern.

Kevin Dineen: Highly regarded fifth-year coach in Portland (AHL), the former Hartford Whalers sniper figures to get an NHL gig any month now.

Dallas Eakins: Hand-picked by Brian Burke to run the Maple Leafs' AHL team, Eakins is considered an up-and-comer in the coaching and management ranks.

Marc Habscheid: Despite tremendous success at the Canadian junior and international level, Habscheid continues to wait for the call many thought would have come a few years ago. This is his first season as GM and coach in Chilliwack of the WHL.

Rob Murray: Providence coach went from Scott Gordon's right hand to his own man with the Bruins' AHL affiliate last season and led an inexperienced team to the East final.

The Great Unknown

While the next phase of a legendary hockey career is more likely to take part in an office instead of behind a bench, imagine the short-term impact Wayne Gretzky might have on an underachieving team.

And Finally...

On a list of the best head coaches not coaching in the NHL, we would be remiss in not mentioning arguably the best of them all. Here's to you, Stanley Cup champion and three-time Adams Trophy winner Pat Burns.

phishstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 12:09 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Filatov has skill, Boll does not. I knew drafting Filatov was a mistake the second we took him. Everyone told us Hitch wouldn't know what to do with a talented player like Filatov, and they were right.
Worst part about Hitch this year is he's clueless with his in game decisions, sitting on 1 goal leads with over 20 minutes left in games, benching the 4th line and overusing the top 3 lines, too loyal to players that are playing horrible (Tyutin, Boll, Huselius).
And for a Hitch team, we're giving up way too many goals and not scoring enough.
Hitch needs to adapt to the new NHL and make a system that's based on the talent of the players on the team, not the players he had 10 years ago.
I know TW but this Boll bashing is way out of control. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Nik a Left Wing and Boll a Right Wing?? It doesn't make sense to me to argue over subbing out players that don't even play the same position. It would seem to me that if you want to put Nik in the line up as a Left Wing, you'd have to pull one of the others, right? Like Nash? Uh no. I am still 10000% behind pulling Juice to play Nik. I am. And if you do NOT put talent around Nik, then you are setting him up to fail. No one wants to see that. Stick Nik with a center like Brass who can set him up more than once.

I love this team but we have way too many people getting ice time that need to get off their ass and play. And Boll isn't one of them. You wanna talk blind loyalty? Ok. Let's talk about Juice, Umberger and the entire top 6!! Remember those guys we wrote the BIG checks out to?? The ones that deserve it?? Yeah, well, time to earn it. Put the pressure where it belongs. Not Hitch. Daggone.

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 12:13 PM
Feicht

I dunno, I don't take it as "Boll-bashing" so much as it is criticizing Hitch for playing a hard-hitting grinder for 3 minutes instead of a super-talented scorer for 10. It's not Boll's fault he won't score 30 goals this year, but it could very well be considered Hitch's fault that Filatov won't

Old
10-31-2009, 12:36 PM
dickiedunnwrotethis

It's too bad. Hitch used to be a creative, offensive-minded coach when he was coaching junior in Kamloops, but i guess living in Dallas was a cure for all that. Not that he'll ever get another chance in the NHL, but you could use a coach like Ted Nolan; someone who inspires his players by letting them play to their potential, not a "system"..

dickiedunnwrotethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 12:40 PM
BluejacketNut

Boll has no business being on an NHL roster

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 01:02 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Howson will never fire Hitchcock (barring a total season collapse) and I don't even think he should be fired at this stage. He needs this entire season to prove he can win (or lose) in the new NHL. In saying that I do think he's stubborn, dislikes what Filatov stands for in the realm of hockey, pontificates to much, changes lines to much and generally burns out hockey players.

I think the Filatov situation is a good example of Hitchcock drawing a line in the sand and saying, it's my way or the highway boy! If Filatov continues to be kicked in the mouth the buck defaults to the GM who drafted him.

Our defense is weak, Mason appears shaky and the offense is under lockdown far to often, all are factors contributing to our losing skid. The head coach might be losing the room but he can get it back with some open minded and new approaches to his team and the game.

Last edited by Robert: 10-31-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 01:28 PM
gojacketsgo61
Fire the Refs!

We need torts one player goes out of line he'll freak

gojacketsgo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 02:18 PM
FiveHole23

Fan meet cliff, ground meet fan.

FiveHole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 02:51 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Young Guns

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:

Skraut, this logic is awful, at least as I understand it. You feel a coach should be kept around, but then compare him to a guy that was kept around for far too long.

By that standard, we should have kept Maclean. Stability would help us avoid becoming the Browns.

Priest should be fired for firing Maclean.

Anyways, quick thoughts on a variety of subjects relating to Hitch.

1. Some people argued that it was Hitch that made Mason look good last season. I think the recent games tell us that it was Mason who made Hitch look good.

2. I don't think the learning to win argument will fly. The team last year did a did a decent job of winning. Did the loss of Aaron Rome really hurt us that badly?

10-31-2009, 03:00 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:

nobody's throwing hitch under a bus so cut the sarcasm and contribute! even a good coach can get better.
Posted via Mobile Device

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 03:29 PM
Matt

Insanity= doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. That is what is happening with this team now.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 03:31 PM
EDM

Yeah, it is pretty clear that it was Mason who saved HCH's buns last year, not the reverse. This team was floundering last year in the same way as it is now (no confidence) until Mason came along, caught fire and suddenly the rest of the team started playing lights out to support Mason. Unfortunately there is no wonder child to put into action this year. We are left with Foghorn Leghorn doing the hockey equivalent of Nuke LaRoush and spouting off every hockey cliche he can in order to avoid questions for which he has no answer.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 04:18 PM
FlaggerX

Last year we had good goalie play. So far this year we haven't. Really, that's the difference. True NHL starters are a rare and wonderful breed, and had matters gone as we had hoped Mason would still be learning his craft in the NHL while Pazzy would have still tended our nets. It didn't and here we are. The truth is we haven't played well defensively, and haven't given up less then 3 goals in a long time. Some of that falls on the netminder, some of it falls on our defense. it's a mix.

But to discuss firing Hitch is way, way premature. We started hot, now we're in a slump. Let's see what happens next before we even broach the subject of firing the coach who turned us into a real hockey team.

FlaggerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 04:19 PM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
nobody's throwing hitch under a bus so cut the sarcasm and contribute! even a good coach can get better.
Posted via Mobile Device
Can you imagine throwing Hitch under the bus? That poor bus, totalled...

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote