HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Buying new skates, gloves and stick

Old
12-19-2009, 12:54 PM
FinHockey
Sex Metal Barbie

vCash: 50
Buying new skates, gloves and stick

I don't play in a team of any kind, but during winter I almost live at the local outdoor-rink and I need to buy new skates, gloves and stick. What do you think that would be good for me, because I don't have a clue how to choose equipment. I'm 15, ~6'1 and ~180 lbs. I don't know if you need those details, but I thought they might be handy. And as you know, I don't feel like spending too much money on the equipment, since I only play outdoors. I would like to have stick that is a bit more flexible than average. I would like to hear opinions from Finns, but also from other countries.

FinHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 01:39 PM
AIREAYE

vCash: 500
For skates, definately buy used or inexpensive skates. Playing outdoor non-competitve hockey doesnt require high-end stuff

For gloves, get whatever is comfortable, best advice: try some on

For stick flex, since you're 180lbs, try a regular 85,87 or 90 flex stick, you can go up to 100 if you want, depends on you

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 02:14 PM
Ani simov mal

Idk your price range, but if I were you I would get:

Bauer 4 roll gloves
Vapor XXV or even Vapor XXXX skates
Vapor XXX stick

Ani simov mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 02:31 PM
Placebo Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinHockey View Post
I don't play in a team of any kind, but during winter I almost live at the local outdoor-rink and I need to buy new skates, gloves and stick. What do you think that would be good for me, because I don't have a clue how to choose equipment. I'm 15, ~6'1 and ~180 lbs. I don't know if you need those details, but I thought they might be handy. And as you know, I don't feel like spending too much money on the equipment, since I only play outdoors. I would like to have stick that is a bit more flexible than average. I would like to hear opinions from Finns, but also from other countries.
What kind of feet do you have? Wide? Narrow? Flat? That helps in determining the brand and model of skates you get.

Gloves, if you're playing casual, anything should work as long as you're comfortable in them. Some people prefer loose fitting gloves and others a more tighter fitting. Your preference will again determine what kind.

Sticks is easier. At your height and weight I agree with AIREAYE if you want a whippier stick go with 85 flex, 75 is probably too whippy for your size. You shouldn't need to cut it down at your height. Vapor X:40 is a decent mid range stick I would say.

The biggest thing with equipment though is to go to your LHS and try them on to see what is comfortable. Talk to the staff, see what they recommend. Be patient, sometimes you may have to try on a bunch of skates to find the right fit.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 02:50 PM
FinHockey
Sex Metal Barbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by One95 View Post
What kind of feet do you have? Wide? Narrow? Flat? That helps in determining the brand and model of skates you get.

Gloves, if you're playing casual, anything should work as long as you're comfortable in them. Some people prefer loose fitting gloves and others a more tighter fitting. Your preference will again determine what kind.

Sticks is easier. At your height and weight I agree with AIREAYE if you want a whippier stick go with 85 flex, 75 is probably too whippy for your size. You shouldn't need to cut it down at your height. Vapor X:40 is a decent mid range stick I would say.

The biggest thing with equipment though is to go to your LHS and try them on to see what is comfortable. Talk to the staff, see what they recommend. Be patient, sometimes you may have to try on a bunch of skates to find the right fit.
My feet are ~45-46 size in European, don't know what that is in American size. That's bigger than average, as far as I know. They are actually very strange, because they are big in any way, except width. They aren't wider than someone's who has feet of size 40-42. I hate them.

Old
12-19-2009, 04:42 PM
Placebo Effect

To be honest I'm no expert when it comes to giving advice on sizes/brands. I just know that I should go by personal preference and get fitted properly at a LHS.

You should post on MSH (http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums...hp?showforum=4) and they can help. There are many people who ask similar questions (i.e. http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums...howtopic=50360)

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 04:44 PM
FinHockey
Sex Metal Barbie

Ok, thanks.

Old
12-19-2009, 05:28 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 450
Getting fitted is the key. Your feet sound narrow, so try vapors or missions if you can find them.

Sticks, low end composite or a two piece. You have lots of options there, and a lot of it is preference.

Gloves, try a bunch on and buy the ones that you like the fit of best. With what you're doing, you don't need high end protection.

cptjeff is online now   Reply With Quote