HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

WJCs: Jan 5: FINAL: Canada vs USA @ 7 PM CST

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-31-2009, 12:05 AM
  #51
Cheli
Registered User
 
Cheli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto/Waterloo
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,698
vCash: 500
Updated OP. Really looking forward to Canada vs US, I get stoked for this game every year.

Cheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 07:22 PM
  #52
sbkbghockey
Registered User
 
sbkbghockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: at the ice rink, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 914
vCash: 500
STL draft pick McRae scored on the rebound to tie the game early in 1st at 1-1 on STL draft pick goaltender Allen

sbkbghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 09:48 PM
  #53
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol
 
WalterSobchak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Gutter Alley
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,743
vCash: 500
that was a great finish, Petro's goal was a beautiful beautiful thing and Jake Allen...I hope they spend as much time in the minors as they can, not that they aren't ready but Am will kill them.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 09:49 PM
  #54
St.Louis sports fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 631
vCash: 500
What a game USA vs. Canada. McRae Scored a nice rebound goal, Pietrangelo saved Canada with an awesome shorthanded goal late in the game to tie it. Warsofsky was OK, he tries to overhandle the puck alot going through the neutral zone, but he played an allright game. Jake Allen was pretty much left alone in the 2nd period by his defense and made some clutch saves. All in all, I'd say a good showing on a National stage from the Blues prospects. Now if we could just get a coach in here that would allow these kids to play.............

St.Louis sports fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 05:38 AM
  #55
John Druce
Flynt Flossy
 
John Druce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Did I mention that..
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,452
vCash: 500
I think that Petro pretty much has the Top D-man Award in the bag for this tourney. He's the top point getter for D-men, and 3rd in total scoring.

John Druce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 08:24 AM
  #56
Frenzy1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSobchak View Post
that was a great finish, Petro's goal was a beautiful beautiful thing and Jake Allen...I hope they spend as much time in the minors as they can, not that they aren't ready but Am will kill them.
Yeah because he has done such a bad job developing Perron, Berglund, Oshie....

I am not sold on AM as the coach for the team (heck our 3rd period performance has been so putrid he should be fired for that), but lets not be blind with our dislike for the guy.

As for the game itself. Allen looked very good and though he gave up two shorties in the 3rd, he really battened down the hatches and made a huge stop on McRae in the 2nd - that likely would have put the game out of reach.

McRae had a solid game. I wish he were more physical but the skill is there. Pietro - well outside of his big goal, I think he is way way too relaxed at times and needs to get his compete level up a bit. He just isn't intense - this is something I was hoping he would develop, but I am not sure his layed back additude helps matters on the ice.

Worsofsky - is a solid player. He does over handle the puck a bit, but his d game is much stronger then I expected. He spent a fair amount of time against the Schenn line and moves the puck well and quickly when pressured.

Allen - he was huge a points in the game. Honestly, he didn't have much of a chance on 3 of the US goals. (Thanks to the great play of the Canadian D in front of him .


Last edited by Frenzy1: 01-01-2010 at 08:29 AM.
Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 12:52 PM
  #57
Cheli
Registered User
 
Cheli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto/Waterloo
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,698
vCash: 500
That was an epic game, it's ridiculous how Canada vs USA is always that kind of "ohhh ****, no way, how did he save that, how did he miss that, holy crap what a goal" game.

That being said, USA has a much better team that I expected and they deserved to win that game. They were the better team for most of the game, and Allen bailed out his teammates enormously. IMO that game would have been more like a 7-3 blowout without Allen.

Big game for Petro as well, sniping the tying goal. Wasn't a very good game for Canada's D, but he's still one of the best defensemen at the tournament.

McRae worked for his goal and had a solid game overall, he impressed me at prospects camp and doesn't seem to have regressed from that.

Warsofsky was decent, I didn't notice him a whole lot which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Cheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 12:58 PM
  #58
Cheli
Registered User
 
Cheli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto/Waterloo
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1 View Post
Pietro - well outside of his big goal, I think he is way way too relaxed at times and needs to get his compete level up a bit. He just isn't intense - this is something I was hoping he would develop, but I am not sure his layed back additude helps matters on the ice.
I don't really understand your line of thinking here. When did being calm become a bad thing? I've watched all of Canada's games and Petro has struck me as a calm, poised, and solid defenseman overall. Obviously he hasn't been without his mistakes, but same with everyone else. What do you want him to do, go around cross-checking and elbowing people's faces (as some of his teammates have done)?

The kid scored the tying goal for his country with a beautiful shorthanded shot, and you think he's not intense enough... I don't get it.

Cheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 01:39 PM
  #59
Cheli
Registered User
 
Cheli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto/Waterloo
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,698
vCash: 500
Sorry for triple posting, but updated OP for tomorrow's QF game and added a stats section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheli View Post
Junior Blues Stats:

CANADA -> 4GP, 35GF, 48 PIM, +83 (combined), +4.15 (average)
-> 6 GA, 80 shots against, 92.50 SV%, 1.47 GAA, 2 SO


Alex Pietrangelo -> 4 GP - 3g, 6a = 9p
-> 2 PIM, +5
-> 2nd (tied) in tournament scoring (1st for defensemen)
-> 1st (tied) in tournament assists

Jake Allen -> 3 GP - 4 goals on 53 shots = 92.45% SV, 1.30 GAA
-> 185 mins played (75.51% of Canada's), 2 shutouts
-> 3rd in tournament SV%
-> 2nd in tournament GAA

USA -> 4GP, 26GF, 69 PIM, +69 (combined), +3.45 (average)

Philip McRae -> 4 GP - 1g, 2a = 3p
-> 0 PIM, -1

David Warsofsky -> 4 GP - 0g, 2a = 2p
-> 6 PIM, +7

SWEDEN -> 4GP, 28GF, 46 PIM, +94 (combined), +4.7 (average)

David Rundblad -> 4 GP - 0g, 2a = 2p
-> 0 PIM, +6
Since +/- is best used in comparison to your teammates (highly team-dependent stat), I included each team's combined total +/- and the average +/- of the players.

Interesting note: McRae is the only minus US player.

I'm a bit sad they don't do TOI for this tournament, as I really wanted to include that.

Cheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 01:46 PM
  #60
Celtic Note
Moderator
Chi Town Bound
 
Celtic Note's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 8,596
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheli View Post
I don't really understand your line of thinking here. When did being calm become a bad thing? I've watched all of Canada's games and Petro has struck me as a calm, poised, and solid defenseman overall. Obviously he hasn't been without his mistakes, but same with everyone else. What do you want him to do, go around cross-checking and elbowing people's faces (as some of his teammates have done)?

The kid scored the tying goal for his country with a beautiful shorthanded shot, and you think he's not intense enough... I don't get it.
Petro definitely had moments of intensity. Overall, I don't think he is the kind of player that will be highly aggressive. Poise and calmness is his game. Petro really needs to focus on positioning, as his that part of his game is lacking. He also seems to get caught up following the puck. Again, he will step up on occasion and make his presence known. However, he needs to learn to pick his spots on when to be aggressive and when not to. I do have to say he is no natural on the defensive side.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 02:29 PM
  #61
Superscout
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 257
vCash: 500
McRae had a very solid game, lots of "pop" in his skates. Allen's save on him in the later stages of the 1st would've really put the US in the driver's seat.

McRae was on for the 1st Canadian (Della Rovere) goal and Pietrangelo's SH marker, but on both, it was missed coverage by the US D that resulted in the goals, particularly so on Pietrangelo's goal. Terrible turnover by John Carlson with the US PP forwards all in the neutral zone. Very uncharacteristic of Carlson who did not have a good night.

I think Blais made the fatal error of going with only 6 forwards in OT, trying to protect the lead instead of rolling at LEAST 3 lines. Shots on goal were even 23-23 in regulation, but 6-1 for Canada in the OT.

Superscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 03:11 PM
  #62
Celtic Note
Moderator
Chi Town Bound
 
Celtic Note's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 8,596
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superscout View Post
McRae had a very solid game, lots of "pop" in his skates. Allen's save on him in the later stages of the 1st would've really put the US in the driver's seat.

McRae was on for the 1st Canadian (Della Rovere) goal and Pietrangelo's SH marker, but on both, it was missed coverage by the US D that resulted in the goals, particularly so on Pietrangelo's goal. Terrible turnover by John Carlson with the US PP forwards all in the neutral zone. Very uncharacteristic of Carlson who did not have a good night.

I think Blais made the fatal error of going with only 6 forwards in OT, trying to protect the lead instead of rolling at LEAST 3 lines. Shots on goal were even 23-23 in regulation, but 6-1 for Canada in the OT.
I agree. Team USA looked gassed the last few minutes.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 03:40 PM
  #63
sbkbghockey
Registered User
 
sbkbghockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: at the ice rink, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundo View Post
I agree. Team USA looked gassed the last few minutes.
I think Blais coached a pretty good game, I expected the US falling short in skating with Canada, esp once CA got the rally started and the insane crowd back into it!

sbkbghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 04:57 PM
  #64
Celtic Note
Moderator
Chi Town Bound
 
Celtic Note's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 8,596
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkbghockey View Post
I think Blais coached a pretty good game, I expected the US falling short in skating with Canada, esp once CA got the rally started and the insane crowd back into it!
I don't disagree at all. Just think playing three lines might have helped, but thats hindsight.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 01:54 AM
  #65
St.Louis sports fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 631
vCash: 500
McRae had a beautiful assist on the USA's first goal, but i only noticed about 2 more shifts for him the rest of the game. I dont know if he got hurt or what. Prior to the Finland game he was used sparingly at even strength, but on the 2nd powerplay and pk units. I dont think Blais used he or Luke Walker much, if at all, in the 3rd period vs. Finland. It will be interesting to see if the USA have any legs left for the Sweden game. It would be nice to get a better look at Philip, but from what I've seen so far he definitely has playmaking ability. He'll throw a bump or two here and there, but is no means a banger. Also decent along the boards, thought he would be stronger given his size, but not bad. His skating seems better than what i was expecting it to be given the reports i've seen.

St.Louis sports fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 02:37 AM
  #66
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!
 
2 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Temple, Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 7,140
vCash: 714
I got the impression the coaches were trying to win the game while still preserving energy for tomorrow. Three games in three days of that intensity is going to be tough, especially if its a match with Canada for the gold on Monday.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 09:12 AM
  #67
Cheli
Registered User
 
Cheli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto/Waterloo
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,698
vCash: 500
Updated OP for today's game, and updated the stats for USA's game yesterday.

Only real change in stats was that McRae picked up an assist and was a +1, making him no longer the only minus player on USA.

All of the junior Blues in semi-final action today, should be some good games.

Cheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 09:20 AM
  #68
Quaz
Registered User
 
Quaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: St Louis
Posts: 327
vCash: 500
Quote:
McRae had a beautiful assist on the USA's first goal, but i only noticed about 2 more shifts for him the rest of the game. I dont know if he got hurt or what. Prior to the Finland game he was used sparingly at even strength, but on the 2nd powerplay and pk units. I dont think Blais used he or Luke Walker much, if at all, in the 3rd period vs. Finland. It will be interesting to see if the USA have any legs left for the Sweden game. It would be nice to get a better look at Philip, but from what I've seen so far he definitely has playmaking ability. He'll throw a bump or two here and there, but is no means a banger. Also decent along the boards, thought he would be stronger given his size, but not bad. His skating seems better than what i was expecting it to be given the reports i've seen.
I don't think McCrae played at all in the 2nd or 3rd period. He must have been injured. I believe he is the only player that didn't play in the last two periods. I hope he is able to play tonight.

Quaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 09:21 AM
  #69
schronote
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,247
vCash: 500
The question is what would you rather see, a canada-usa rematch from the other night which was a great game, or a canada-sweden final for the 3rd consecutive year?

schronote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 11:28 AM
  #70
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol
 
WalterSobchak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Gutter Alley
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1 View Post
Yeah because he has done such a bad job developing Perron, Berglund, Oshie....

I am not sold on AM as the coach for the team (heck our 3rd period performance has been so putrid he should be fired for that), but lets not be blind with our dislike for the guy.
point is moot now.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 01:09 PM
  #71
Cheli
Registered User
 
Cheli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto/Waterloo
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by schronote View Post
The question is what would you rather see, a canada-usa rematch from the other night which was a great game, or a canada-sweden final for the 3rd consecutive year?
It's tough to say. As a hockey fan I'd lean toward Canada/USA because that rivalry at the WJCs is amazing now, this year's game was even better than last year's and I didn't think they'd be able to top that.

As a Canadian looking for a record-setting 6th gold... I'm not sure. USA made Canada look like peewee players the other day IMO, without Allen they wouldn't have had a chance the way they played (though they did wake up eventually).

However, Sweden is a tough opponent every year and Markstrom is only getting better. Even though Canada figured him out last year and in exhibition this year, I'd be nervous about facing a team with him in net. I saw the first period of Finland vs Sweden, shots were like 23-6 Finland after one period, and Sweden was leading 1-0. It's like how Allen is for Canada, but to an even greater degree. Markstrom is one of the top goalie prospects in the world, and arguably one of the best goalies not in the NA pro ranks.

I think it should be a great game either way. As long as Switzerland is done with upsets

Cheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 02:23 PM
  #72
Robb_K
Registered User
 
Robb_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NordHolandNethrlands
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,574
vCash: 500
I'd rather see Canada vs USA (IF USA is the 2nd best team). I'm pretty confident that when all the chips are down, the Canadian team will play better.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 04:23 PM
  #73
kfox9611
Registered User
 
kfox9611's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 278
vCash: 500
Tack on another PP assist for Petro!

kfox9611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 05:11 PM
  #74
Robb_K
Registered User
 
Robb_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NordHolandNethrlands
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
I'd rather see Canada vs USA (IF USA is the 2nd best team). I'm pretty confident that when all the chips are down, the Canadian team will play better.
I had such confidence in The Canadian team, that I put a jinx on them. The Swiss are playing up with them. A shorty just made it 2-0 at the half-way point in the game. And a minute later Canada scores again! By Taylor Hall!

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 05:50 PM
  #75
kfox9611
Registered User
 
kfox9611's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 278
vCash: 500
and of course... another assist for Petro! lol

kfox9611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.