HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

World Juniors: Exhibition; Sweden vs. Canada. TSN2 @ 6PM

Old
12-20-2009, 09:44 PM
Joe Hallenback

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
I thought Paajarvi gave really accurate and crisp passes as well.
Eberle could have had 5 dimes if his teammates could have cashed in.
Lander played okay and seemed strong on his skates.

I dont like this Canadian team in general they seem really arrogant and made some really cheap hits.
If this game was played under CHL rules and not International rules you would have seen Canada let loose guys like Teubert,Cormier and Hamonic

Sorry but Sweden was playing real chippy and honestly they deserved to get a beatdown

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 09:48 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
If this game was played under CHL rules and not International rules you would have seen Canada let loose guys like Teubert,Cormier and Hamonic

Sorry but Sweden was playing real chippy and honestly they deserved to get a beatdown
Canada plays smart chippy and Sweden plays dumb chippy. Canada pressures the puck all over the ice and Sewden is pretty lax in defensive coverage. And thats the difference between the two teams. I don't think the skill level is all that much different, Sweden has a nice crop of players but didn't play this game with any urgency. It was Sweden's chance to make a statement, and they didn't.

Jake Allen also looked real strong, Sweden's goaltending, not so much.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 09:52 PM
Joe Hallenback

Quote:
Originally Posted by booyah83 View Post
Canada plays smart chippy and Sweden plays dumb chippy. Canada pressures the puck all over the ice and Sewden is pretty lax in defensive coverage. And thats the difference between the two teams. I don't think the skill level is all that much different, Sweden has a nice crop of players but didn't play this game with any urgency. It was Sweden's chance to make a statement, and they didn't.

Jake Allen also looked real strong, Sweden's goaltending, not so much.

You know when teams try and emulate Canada they fail. No wonder we have 5 golds in a row. The last teams I remember that played their style was Russia when they won back two back golds. They never let Canada dictate the style of play.

Sweden has a ton of talent but if they try and mix it up they are in for a world of hurt

Old
12-20-2009, 09:53 PM
surshot*

Why is Cormier the captain. Good gritty player and all but he has got to be one of the dirtiest players i have seen play for Canada never mind be a captain. He might even get suspended for that elbow he dished for no real reason.

surshot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 09:55 PM
ChokeOnOil
i hate my team

Quote:
Originally Posted by booyah83 View Post
I hope Pat Quinn is still around when MPS is ready to play. MPS is such a big, strong skater with very good vision. He is very tough to knock off the puck.

Everytime I see Eberle play, I think about Sam Gagner and his on again/off again development. Eberle is going to face the same challenges that Gagner has thus far.
Thinking the same thing. The way he stays at the back of the net and pops out for a shot, Gagner did the same. It`s not realistic in the NHL.

ChokeOnOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 09:58 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
You know when teams try and emulate Canada they fail. No wonder we have 5 golds in a row. The last teams I remember that played their style was Russia when they won back two back golds. They never let Canada dictate the style of play.

Sweden has a ton of talent but if they try and mix it up they are in for a world of hurt
I call it the Don Cherry effect. It seems to force our boys to play like men, while quite frankly the other teams are still playing like boys.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 10:08 PM
Gusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizzie Nuts View Post
okay... why does #21's jersey say Svensson-Paarjavi?

Is he not MPS?
They discussed this during the broadcast. For those that didn't hear it or were unable to catch it...

Yes, it's Paajarvi-Svensson but since Svensson is the Swedish part of his name he leads with Svensson-Paajarvi to represent his country.

When not in tournament play he goes by Paajarvi-Svensson. Paajarvi is Finnish and Svensson Swedish. When his parents split he took both names. That's the reasoning behind his name, according to Mr. Planters and Gord Miller.

Gusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 12:48 AM
Hemskyfanboy83

Saw some highlights and man did MPS show a nice touch on that pass.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 12:51 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:

You mean like the elbow on the the shift change? The dirty hockey was initiated by the Canadians from what I could tell. It was embarrassing really.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 01:20 AM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Those green Canadian jerseys look god-awful. Since when did we become Team Italy?

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 03:08 AM
Philly85
Moody'

I didn't think they were too bad at all. Infact I kind of liked them.

You can't please hockey fans (especially Canadians) when it comes to jerseys, simply impossible. In almost every other sport (aside from maybe football), fans applaud fun, bold colour schemes and designs.

Hockey fans are minimalists when it comes to jerseys, and I guess there's nothing wrong with that, but it's funny how much people complain, and how particular/picky they are about them looking.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 03:33 AM
Vomiting Kermit*

Just saw Cormier's elbow... what an idiot.

McGuire was giggling about it too. If it had been the other way around, he'd be losing his ****.

Vomiting Kermit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 03:45 AM
bsmith14

thanks for the updates i was out all day and missed this game

sounds like lander played great, safe to say eberle and mps played as they are expected to?

bsmith14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 08:28 AM
dr-nix
Beware of the Bunny!

I found an explanation to why MPS was used as an extraforward.

He's been sick (along with the coach Per Mårts)

link to article

Luckily MPS roomate hadn't arrived yet (Peter Andersson, Erik Karlssons replacement) so hopefully it won't spread.

dr-nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 08:30 AM
Joe Hallenback

I was wondering why he didn't take a regular shift. He looked really good when he was out there.

Old
12-21-2009, 09:04 AM
theranfordflop

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr-nix View Post
I found an explanation to why MPS was used as an extraforward.

He's been sick (along with the coach Per Mårts)

link to article

Luckily MPS roomate hadn't arrived yet (Peter Andersson, Erik Karlssons replacement) so hopefully it won't spread.
Wow, he'll fit right in on the Oilers.

theranfordflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 09:04 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Quote:
Originally Posted by surshot View Post
Why is Cormier the captain. Good gritty player and all but he has got to be one of the dirtiest players i have seen play for Canada never mind be a captain. He might even get suspended for that elbow he dished for no real reason.
Umm Stefan Della Rovere and Steve Downie say hi. Cormier looks to be another gem found by the New Jersey Devils, a John Madden clone.

hmminvisiblecola1279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 09:08 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
You mean like the elbow on the the shift change? The dirty hockey was initiated by the Canadians from what I could tell. It was embarrassing really.
They got under the skin of the Swedes didn't they? Embarrassed, hardly, fans in Canada are used to a gritty kind of hockey and I didn't see too many Canadians upset about it. I know the Oilers suck but ragging on the Canadian junior team give me a break.

Old
12-21-2009, 09:09 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studly Wonderbomb View Post
Just saw Cormier's elbow... what an idiot.

McGuire was giggling about it too. If it had been the other way around, he'd be losing his ****.
I guess you guys missed the Swedes abusing the officials and that doesn't bother you,?

Old
12-21-2009, 09:15 AM
Digger12

A bit late to the dance as per my norm, regardless here's my game thoughts:

-What goofball focus group thought that a green Canadian jersey would be a good idea? Our national team looked like the Hartford Whalers, and that's NEVER a good thing.

-Eberle continues to impress me with how underrated a passer he is, everyone talks about his sniping ability but this kid makes some outstanding little dishes in traffic. His vision is outstanding. I am concerned about his size though, even at this level he's noticeably smaller than most of his competition. I suspect that it won't inhibit him at the NHL level as much as it has Gagner though, not sure why I think this but it may have to do with Eberle being a natural winger.

-Obviously didn't see much of Taylor Hall, but what little I did see I really, really liked. I don't know about the Messier comparisons coming from Maguire though, to me he looked more like a young Yzerman. Too bad he'll most likely be in Carolina next year.

-MPS had some good moments where he showed his powerful skating and surprisingly deft playmaking, but for the most part he looked sluggish and behind the play. He certainly did look like he was playing with some sort of bug, thanks to dr-nix for the heads up on that. Hopefully he'll shake it in short order.

-I wasn't as impressed as some seem to be with Lander, he was OK defensively and had some good PK work, but offensively I didn't see much from him. The real games haven't started yet though, so we'll see.

-Tedenby was definitely Sweden's most dynamic offensive talent out there last night, but he's tiny. As dangerous as he was offensively, he also was knocked off the puck with ease numerous times, and made some poor decisions with the puck where he could've been using his teammates better. Definitely a player who'll be fun to watch this tourney, though.

-Really looking forward to the Finland exhibition, I think Rajala is going to impress but one prospect nobody seems to be talking about around here is Hartikainen...IMO it'll be very interesting to see him as a 19 yr old in this tournament, I suspect he'll do better than some may expect.

Digger12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 09:33 AM
Ozolinsh_27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizzie Nuts View Post
Am i hearing this right?

They are doing the Pepsi cheer?
I was there, it was terrible - the Pepsi guy in the stands with the microphone was really trying to sell the cheer. There were few enthusiastic responses to it...it went over well with the kids though. But that could've been the fact he was throwing red tshirts around and dancing like a goof to almost every song

Ozolinsh_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 09:40 AM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post

-Eberle continues to impress me with how underrated a passer he is, everyone talks about his sniping ability but this kid makes some outstanding little dishes in traffic. His vision is outstanding. I am concerned about his size though, even at this level he's noticeably smaller than most of his competition. I suspect that it won't inhibit him at the NHL level as much as it has Gagner though, not sure why I think this but it may have to do with Eberle being a natural winger.
I agree totally. He is actually a very good playmaker and has great anticipation with when and where to place his passes. A while back in the prospects thread they were talking about how many of his goals come at evens. I made the comment that he seems like a bit more of a shooter on the PP but at ES he seems to really like being the playmaker. It is a plus of course that he is pretty adept at both shooting and passing. Though his anticipation and hockey sense serve him well with that and throughout his game. I think Eberle is much more slippery and evasive than Gagner seems to be. So hopefully that will give him a little advantage in the pros. I watched him do it pretty deftly in a few AHL games last season.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 10:36 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
I agree totally. He is actually a very good playmaker and has great anticipation with when and where to place his passes. A while back in the prospects thread they were talking about how many of his goals come at evens. I made the comment that he seems like a bit more of a shooter on the PP but at ES he seems to really like being the playmaker. It is a plus of course that he is pretty adept at both shooting and passing. Though his anticipation and hockey sense serve him well with that and throughout his game. I think Eberle is much more slippery and evasive than Gagner seems to be. So hopefully that will give him a little advantage in the pros. I watched him do it pretty deftly in a few AHL games last season.
He definitely is one of the best junior players in Canada and I really hope that translates into success in the NHL. Looking forward to watching him and MPS play together in a couple of years.

Old
12-21-2009, 10:59 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
I think Eberle is much more slippery and evasive than Gagner seems to be. So hopefully that will give him a little advantage in the pros. I watched him do it pretty deftly in a few AHL games last season.
I think some of that elusiveness stems from his style of play in the offensive zone, he likes to sneak in behind the D and tries not to hold onto the puck too long, which results in the opposition having less of a chance to key on him and dominate him physically.

IMO one of Gagner's problems these days is that he holds onto the puck too long, and would be better served if somebody else on his line had the task of lugging the puck up the ice. He needs to get the puck off his stick sooner so that the bigger players he's facing will have less of a chance to take advantage of his diminutive stature and mediocre skating.

Digger12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 03:18 PM
Live Breathe Hockey

what was the stat line on the oilers prospects? can we have a link up with all the oiler prospects in the WJC and their stats?

Live Breathe Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote