Notices

Anaheimm needs to regain some physical edge

Old
12-17-2009, 11:44 AM
cheesymc

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to cheesymc
Anaheimm needs to regain some physical edge

Losing Pronger, Moen, Sami, O'donnell, Thornton, over the years have really made the ducks one of the softer teams in the league.

Did anyone notice how funny it was that 2 of the grittiest players going against Vancouver last night were Koivu and Marchant? Are you kidding me??? They have heart, but lets not kid yourself... The ducks are trying to be like Detroit and have 3 scoring lines, but you cant do it in one season. I think the ducks are like the Wild and shouldnt have switched philosophies this season, but I guess Murray wants to move in another direction...

At least we won last night... but I hope the ducks get some grit back to match up with other teams.

cheesymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 11:58 AM
Cone

Send a message via AIM to Cone
meh. losing pronger and pahlsson hurt, but only because they're awesome, not necessarily physical. pronger's physicality was great, but it wasn't really one of the main reasons for him being so awesome, it was just kind of a bonus. and brown is just as physical and effective as moen basically (and a $1M cheaper).

Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 12:04 PM
Elvs

Like mentioned, Pronger and Pahlsson brought so much more than just physical presence. Same with Beauchemin. The Ducks are not as physical anymore, but they're far from the least physical team in the league.

Nothing wrong with Koivu and Marchant being gritty either. Being gritty and being physical isn't really the same thing. Nokelainen is another small player, not very physical but still gritty. Fast players are often more gritty than physical players with average skating.

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 01:01 PM
JtotheLew

I don't think any team in the NHL would call the Ducks soft..

JtotheLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 01:03 PM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
I actually think they still play pretty physical, the bodies just arent as imposing.

Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 01:04 PM
JtotheLew

That's what I think, and even if they aren't as physical they're still as dirty. haha

Old
12-17-2009, 01:34 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Really the only physicallity the team is missing, is in front of their own net. I cringe everytime I see a little ***** like Burrows stand there without paying a price.

Actually, since Wiz has started to play like ****, he hasn't laid any open ice hits either.

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 06:01 PM
cheesymc

Send a message via AIM to cheesymc
I think the ducks are missing a big shutdown guy who can lay down big hits (too bad we didnt get Smid when his value was low) and a few middle weight forwards.

Look at the team, whos is considered an explosive hitter? Brown (R2 hasnt been) and Wiz only... both small players.

We have guys who will fight, but arent good fighters. Brown and Chipchura hug like Montador... Parros hasnt been doing well, Brookbank is average... We have probably the most sub 5 foot players averaging the most minutes...

When you compare say, Vancouver... you have Kesler (big hitter, although a pansy fighter), Rypien, Horidchuk, Mitchell, Bieksa, etc... Dallas has Ott, Morrow, Neal, etc... St Louis has a BUNCH...

cheesymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 06:51 PM
JtotheLew

Those are some of the tougher teams in the league though, we don't need to be the toughest necessarily, I hate when people think teams need to be tough for the sake of tough, you just need guys that play their roles.

Perry and Getz are both great on the forecheck, and Ryan is definitely there as well and improving fastly into a complete player in my eyes. Most of our guys finish hits, the only area we aren't as tough as we need to be like someone said before is infront of our own net. And I don't see why Whitney isn't better at it, it's not like he's small.

Old
12-17-2009, 08:11 PM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

I think there's definitely a loss of team identity, but I'm not sure it's as simple as regaining toughness. When we won the Cup we had both toughness AND skill; when we faced tough teams we could out-skill them, and when we faced skill teams we could out-tough them. But with the departure of guys like Beauch, Kunitz, Pronger, Penner, etc. and replacing them with guys with grit OR skill rather than both ... well, something had to give.

Now we don't quite have enough skill players to be a run-and-gun powerhouse offense (you need 3 loaded lines for that), nor do we have enough gritty two-way guys to grind our way to victory. We're just kinda mediocre all around, but with a really strong core group.

It doesn't have to be toughness, that's not the only route to success, but right now we don't really excel at anything, and that's the real problem. I don't care what it is, but no team wins without a clear identity.

mmbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 08:30 PM
JtotheLew

Well said.

Old
12-18-2009, 03:06 PM
Kick Save

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbt View Post
I think there's definitely a loss of team identity, but I'm not sure it's as simple as regaining toughness. When we won the Cup we had both toughness AND skill; when we faced tough teams we could out-skill them, and when we faced skill teams we could out-tough them. But with the departure of guys like Beauch, Kunitz, Pronger, Penner, etc. and replacing them with guys with grit OR skill rather than both ... well, something had to give.

Now we don't quite have enough skill players to be a run-and-gun powerhouse offense (you need 3 loaded lines for that), nor do we have enough gritty two-way guys to grind our way to victory. We're just kinda mediocre all around, but with a really strong core group.

It doesn't have to be toughness, that's not the only route to success, but right now we don't really excel at anything, and that's the real problem. I don't care what it is, but no team wins without a clear identity.
Excellent analysis.

Kick Save is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 10:37 AM
Kessel>Seguin +
Not Even A Big Fan!!

I think Belesky will end up being a hard noise second line player and increase the team toughness a little

Kessel>Seguin + is offline   Reply With Quote