HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeff Carter

Old
12-20-2009, 11:24 PM
phillipmike

vCash: 500
Jeff Carter

Is there something wrong in Philly? I hear this guys name being available everywhere and i figure it is just the media. To me Jeff Carter is a franchise player along with Richards and i find it hard to believe Philly would be interested in shopping him.

So whats the deal? Is it just the media blowing things out of proportion?

And if he is being shopped i think Holmgren is out of his mind. But if they do decide to trade him i think he is worth at least what Boston got for Kessel. A team will have to offer a young goalie, a young forward, and perhaps another player, a pick or a prospect. The deal must equal 2 mid to high first round picks and a second rounder, in my opinion. But I do believe Carter is untouchable unless there is an awesome offer out there.

phillipmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 11:28 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipmike View Post
Is there something wrong in Philly? I hear this guys name being available everywhere and i figure it is just the media. To me Jeff Carter is a franchise player along with Richards and i find it hard to believe Philly would be interested in shopping him.

And if he is being shopped i think Holmgren is out of his mind. But if they do decide to trade him i think he is worth at least what Boston got for Kessel. A team will have to offer a young goalie, a young forward, and perhaps another player, a pick or a prospect. The deal must equal 2 mid to high first round picks and a second rounder, in my opinion. But I do believe Carter is untouchable unless there is an awesome offer out there.
He's far from untouchable right now. I like him but if this poor play continues they need something for the future. He looks like a likely candidate along with Coburn.

12-20-2009, 11:31 PM
phillipmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
He's far from untouchable right now. I like him but if this poor play continues they need something for the future. He looks like a likely candidate along with Coburn.
Really? And you wouldnt be upset if Philly traded him for two perhaps three good pieces?

Old
12-20-2009, 11:31 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

This topic might get merged but there are two types of flyers fans on this board regarding Carter.

1) Some dont care if he's not physical even with his big body because he can put up points.

2) Others see him as a lazy guy with a big body that he doesnt use at all. To them, it doesnt matter if he puts up points because he is still soft.

So it has been blown out of proportion. Lately Carter has looked VERY good. I dont think he is "untouchable" but I, personally, dont think he will be traded. Its just some fans dont like him and want to trade him.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 11:35 PM
phillipmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
This topic might get merged but there are two types of flyers fans on this board regarding Carter.

1) Some dont care if he's not physical even with his big body because he can put up points.

2) Others see him as a lazy guy with a big body that he doesnt use at all. To them, it doesnt matter if he puts up points because he is still soft.

So it has been blown out of proportion. Lately Carter has looked VERY good. I dont think he is "untouchable" but I, personally, dont think he will be traded. Its just some fans dont like him and want to trade him.
Well if thats true i am sure the Leafs would be very interested. But i am sure they do not have what you want or they wont be interested in giving up a king's ransom, because i think thats what it would take to get Carter.

Old
12-20-2009, 11:36 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Well if thats true i am sure the Leafs would be very interested. But i am sure they do not have what you want or they wont be interested in giving up a king's ransom, because i think thats what it would take to get Carter.
Just please don't mention Tomas Kaberle unless it includes draft picks and young players.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 11:36 PM
PhillyFan4Ever

Quote:
every team would be interested. not every team will pay the price

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 11:43 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

I was mulling around on the Rangers board and saw this proposal.

Dubinsky, Girardi a 1st and 2nd for Carter

They either agree on it or think its Too much. I dont want to trade Carter to the Rags. Do they really think this will happen?

Old
12-20-2009, 11:53 PM
phillipmike

Quote:
Just please don't mention Tomas Kaberle unless it includes draft picks and young players.
First i dont think the Leafs have what Philly would want.

But i like i said Carter is worth what Boston got for Kessel.

Philly would need two very good pieces and a good one for them to deal Carter and i think they should be effective NHL players now with the potential to be very good and all around the ages of 25.

This isnt a proposed deal but these are the types of player Philly should be looking at...

Kessel = Carter

TOR 2010 1st pick = Jaroslav Halak, Mike Smith, Ryan Suter, Blake Wheeler
TOR 2010 2nd pick = Colby Armstrong, James Wiznewski, Steve Ott, Jordin Tootoo
TOR 2011 1st pick = Ian White, Keith Yandle

I think Philly would be target in cheap defencemen and goalies. They have a lot of dpeth upfront with Briere, Richards, Hartnell, Gagne, Giroux, van Riemsdyk... But in my opinion Carter would be a hard player to get and it should be.

Old
12-21-2009, 12:11 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Lately Carter has looked VERY good.
He has scored 3 goals in his last 13 games. His last assist was November 27th.

That is not "VERY good" for someone whose role is scoring.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 12:18 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:

He hasn't been putting up points though. Most of us don't mind that he doesn't use his body (or at least we don't complain about it). What irritates us is that his sick wrist shot is inaccurate to the point where every other shot is high-and-wide or a chest-snipe, he's streaky as all hell, and he's under-achieving this year. He's currently eight points under PPG at the 34 game mark. He currently has 12 goals and at the pace he's at I'll be happy if he manages 30 (which would be 16 less then last year). We need better then that.

Yes, he got some good shots on net last game and he had some close calls, but close calls don't count as goals. They don't show up on the scoreboard. His role on this team is to put up points and deliver. He hasn't been able to do that. Neither has Richards and with those two slumping it's no wonder that this team is slumping.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 12:21 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
He hasn't been putting up points though. Most of us don't mind that he doesn't use his body (or at least we don't complain about it). What irritates us is that his sick wrist shot is inaccurate to the point where every other shot is high-and-wide or a chest-snipe, he's streaky as all hell, and he's under-achieving this year. He's currently eight points under PPG at the 34 game mark. He currently has 12 goals and at the pace he's at I'll be happy if he manages 30 (which would be 16 less then last year). We need better then that.

Yes, he got some good shots on net last game and he had some close calls, but close calls don't count as goals. They don't show up on the scoreboard. His role on this team is to put up points and deliver. He hasn't been able to do that. Neither has Richards and with those two slumping it's no wonder that this team is slumping.
I can't believe that the coaching staff hasn't talked to him about changing the mechanics of his shot or perhaps curve of his blade or something. I mean, he's never been accurate but he is dominating the league in missed shots. He shoots as much as Ovechkin but doesn't, obviously, come close to the same goal totals. And it's not like he's shooting in horrible positions or trying to force the puck... sure that may be part of it, but he's blowing some really good chances.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 12:29 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
I can't believe that the coaching staff hasn't talked to him about changing the mechanics of his shot or perhaps curve of his blade or something. I mean, he's never been accurate but he is dominating the league in missed shots. He shoots as much as Ovechkin but doesn't, obviously, come close to the same goal totals. And it's not like he's shooting in horrible positions or trying to force the puck... sure that may be part of it, but he's blowing some really good chances.
Well, I also can't believe that Riley Cote still manages to find work in the NHL (even if it is only occasionally nowadays). I assume Carter wants to stick with his blade and I assume that the coaching staff just thinks that he'll figure it out on his own because there really is no other explanation for them not talking to him about it.

The Ovechkin comparison is interesting. They're both puck-hogs and have the philosophy of "shoot until your score". The only difference is that Ovechkin has consistency to his game and has a much more accurate shot. He also uses his body, unlike Carter.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like most of Carter's goals this year have been rebounds/garbage goals. I'd be interested to see how many of them were on the PP alone.

I think that the coaches need to dedicate the majority of a practice to just shooting/sniping because literally no one on our team can beat a goalie right now without getting a deflection or rebound. It's kind of sad actually.

Old
12-21-2009, 12:33 AM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
I think that the coaches need to dedicate the majority of a practice to just shooting/sniping because literally no one on our team can beat a goalie right now without getting a deflection or rebound. It's kind of sad actually.
The purest shooter Peter Forsberg ever played with is back now. The problem could fix itself.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 12:37 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
The purest shooter Peter Forsberg ever played with is back now. The problem could fix itself.
I really, really liked his play last game. However, wasn't able to score either (although, I didn't notice him getting many good chances that game). I was inspired by his play in that it was pretty good for a guy coming off a long-term injury. However, we need to see if he can maintain that kind of play for the rest of the season and remain injury free.

Besides, I doubt Gagne coming back is going to get Richards out of his funk or get Carter to actually get a puck in the net.

Old
12-21-2009, 01:32 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
Did Bill Clement tell you that!?

Old
12-21-2009, 01:54 AM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Every ******* game.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 03:10 AM
nosnhoj

Quote:
I really, really liked his play last game. However, wasn't able to score either (although, I didn't notice him getting many good chances that game). I was inspired by his play in that it was pretty good for a guy coming off a long-term injury. However, we need to see if he can maintain that kind of play for the rest of the season and remain injury free.

Besides, I doubt Gagne coming back is going to get Richards out of his funk or get Carter to actually get a puck in the net.
He had a couple of shots (slap shots), but they were deflected/blocked. Looked like his timing wasn't all the way back yet which is to be expected. On a side note, he has more assists in one game than Carter does in the past 12ish games.

nosnhoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 06:37 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
He has scored 3 goals in his last 13 games. His last assist was November 27th.

That is not "VERY good" for someone whose role is scoring.
It blows my mind when we agree, but somebody had to say it.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 06:59 AM
Villedelphia*

can we get dustin brown?

Villedelphia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 07:55 AM
sickamore

Holmgren IS out of what little mind he has and learned from Clarke that continuity doesn't matter no matter how many teams that win the Cup actually keep their best players even during a funk, especially one that the WHOLE team is in. So yeah, it's likely Holmgren will F this up to try and fix his many mistakes by making more mistakes......

sickamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 08:04 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

He has 12 goals right now where if you average out last season's total he should have about 18 right now. He also was a much more dominant presence on the ice. That's a good way to throw off defenses to open up other players to set up for goals. Since he's easily knocked off the puck now, he's a pushover, and loses that edge in scoring. That, and he forgot how to hit the net over the summer, it seems.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 08:35 AM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:

Exactly. Thank you. He's the best player on our team, although he's only the 6th highest paid. That's the Flyers' problem. They guys making the big dough are doing diddly.

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 09:08 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
Theres a guy that can put the puck in the net DENIED!

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 09:08 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Carter should not, and will not, be traded unless it is a monstrous deal. Yes he is not playing that great right now but he is going to turn it around. Players don't just all the sudden stop being elite players. He's in a funk and will get out of it. If he is traded it will be for something big like Kovalchuk or a similar trade that is described in the first post.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote