HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blue Jackets @ Coyotes (12/21/09)

Old
12-22-2009, 08:08 AM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

vCash: 500
That Doan-Lombo-Upshall line is here to stay. Doan isn't handling the puck like a grenade anymore and those two complement him well. That Pyatt-Lang-Mueller line is interesting... all play the game at the same speed. It'd be great if they could produce.

Good game!

wpgyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:03 AM
krepitch
Coyote Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR View Post
You'd have been proud, RT. I saw a level of hockey smarts from Biz tonight that I did not know he had. He contributed in every zone, seemed focused, and never out of position.

In the 1st period (don't remember if it was 1-0 or 2-0 at that point) Roy tried to get him to go. Roy! Biz didn't bite, he skated back into the defensive zone and joined the play. Roy was obviously trying to get Biz to fight and get him off the ice. I was so impressed.

Late in the game we joked that if Biz can avoid the "Laraque shoots, he scores" syndrome (believing maybe he could be a scoring winger instead of a hockey-savvy goon), he'll have a job here for some time.

Very impressed tonight. The Winnik-Korpi-Biz line was great, and Korpi made a sick move in the 3rd. Not sure how many noticed it. But, if you Tivo'd or DVR'd, check it out. Kid is talented, needs some confidence.
I was a little worried what would happen without Fiddler, but that line played very well. I was impressed with Korpikoski's move near the end of the game and I thought Biz played very well, too. After the Hanzal fight, the jumbotron had a solo shot of him on the bench for at least ten seconds. We all knew he'd be out there defending his teammates at some point...and defend he did. Wow. It looked like the Columbus player was saying something to the officials at the end of the fight, so I think whoever said that Biz may have let him off the hook might be right. Overall, a great effort and a big win against a team that you can't afford to lose to.

krepitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:15 AM
krepitch
Coyote Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgyotes View Post
That Doan-Lombo-Upshall line is here to stay. Doan isn't handling the puck like a grenade anymore and those two complement him well. That Pyatt-Lang-Mueller line is interesting... all play the game at the same speed. It'd be great if they could produce.

Good game!
One of my favorite things to watch on this team is when either Upshall or Lombardi gets possession of a loose puck and sprints towards the goal, then the other gets behind him and starts flying right after him. So much fun to watch those guys skate.

Old
12-22-2009, 09:18 AM
krepitch
Coyote Fan

Scatchard's comeback from injury an inspiration

Umberger's face hit the glass right in front of me last night, then I saw this article about Dave Scatchard this morning. It's good to see that his life seems to be back on track:

Quote:
After an absence of nearly three years, Dave Scatchard hasn't just returned to the NHL. In many ways, the Nashville Predators' center has been to hell and back.

On Jan. 27, 2007, Scatchard was playing his 651st game in the bigs, with his fourth NHL squad, the Phoenix Coyotes, when his life took a sudden, fateful turn.

The 6-foot-2, 210-pounder from Hinton, Alta., absorbed a hit from Pittsburgh's Sergei Gonchar and was catapulted face-first into the boards at Phoenix's Jobing.com Arena, sustaining a concussion and losing a handful of teeth.
Full Story: http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=510759

Old
12-22-2009, 11:11 AM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouXer4ouR View Post
And CBJ comes back with an answer. 3-1 now.
Off a Mueller turnover. blind pass in the offensive zone back to a Blue Jacket.

Poor kid.

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 01:03 PM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

I've been hard on the kid as much as anyone, but in this case I think I have to stick up for him a little.

He made a blind pass, yes, but it was to the center of the ice where Lang should have been going rather than trying to follow Mueller up the left wing. If Lang had gone down the middle as expected by Mueller he most certainly would have had a couple clear steps to unleash a wrister...but he didn't.

I think in this case, its more Lang's fault than Muellers...IMHO.

Sindiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 01:52 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by krepitch View Post
Umberger's face hit the glass right in front of me last night, then I saw this article about Dave Scatchard this morning. It's good to see that his life seems to be back on track:

Full Story: http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=510759
The only problem with that article is, that it wasn't Gonchar who hit him, it was Orpik.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 02:59 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Scotty Upshall 1st star of the night with 4 points on NHL.com
Posted via Mobile Device

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 05:12 PM
Mike92

Nice. Upshall and Lombardi have more chemistry than a meth lab, and they're just as explosive. The more I think about this team the more excited I am, the fact they're doing as well as they are and imo not even firing on all cylinders yet is very impressive. Just need to keep bryz healthy and the playoffs are a very real possibility.

Mike92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 05:15 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo1000 View Post
Actually I thought Hanzal did pretty well until Boll got his arm free and then it looks to me like when Boll connected that his shield got pushed into his face...probably why there was so much blood. Boll is just a thug anyways...sure isn't a hockey player.
I'd agree with that. I was surprised to see Hanzal so aggressive in both picking the fight and then trying to land some punches early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX FireBirds18 View Post
All of Hanzal's fights have been pretty underwhelming to date. I'd rather he doesn't considering his importance to the team. Good to see him stick up for his teammates regardless. I think Biz needs to show him the secret to the jersey jab, it would do wonders for Hanzal's reach.
But this is also true. Haznal doesn't have Josh Gratton's head. If he is going to get into even occasional fights, he needs to learn to play defense and offense when he fights. Boll took some licks, waiting for an opening and clocked Haznal. Hanzal just wasn't ready for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindiggy View Post
I think in this case, its more Lang's fault than Muellers...IMHO.
I agree with you there. Mueller looked up, saw a trailer and left that trailer a gift with a nice touch pass. Lang wasn't expecting it because he had already decided to take that shift off and someone else beat him to the puck.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 05:16 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike92 View Post
Nice. Upshall and Lombardi have more chemistry than a meth lab, and they're just as explosive.
That is quite the turn of phrase. Well done.

Old
12-22-2009, 05:34 PM
CitizenCoyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaPride View Post
Scotty Upshall 1st star of the night with 4 points on NHL.com
Posted via Mobile Device
How did Dan Carcillo do?

Ok, cheap shot. Plus, it's not fair. We also had to give up a second rounder to get Upshall, so it wasn't a 1 for 1 thing.

What's that you say? We GOT a second rounder? No way. That would be highway robbery.

:0) Just joking around. I never miss an opportunity for some Danny bashing. Maybe it's time I let it go? To his credit, since his suspension, he's only had 9 penalty minutes in 5 games.

CitizenCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 06:17 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
That is quite the turn of phrase. Well done.
Indeed.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 07:30 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

I was very impressed by Hanzal last night! I loved how he not only stuck up for his teammates but he did so with some serious moxy! He straight up went after Boll and was actually handing it to him until Boll landed that one shot. Hanzal is a big boy and in my opinion he showed some serious promise in the toughness department. It seems like each year Hanzal grows more confident and more chippy. Basically I like that the kid is turning into a man, he's not going to take **** from any player and I think that's going to serve him very well in his career. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's one nasty dude to play against in a few years. Just imagine all that shutdown skill combined with a mean streak!!!!!!!

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 07:42 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's one nasty dude to play against in a few years. Just imagine all that shutdown skill combined with a mean streak!!!!!!!
That could be. He's shown flashes of it already. Every few games he'll start hitting his check on regular basis and just frustrate the hell out of that player all game. I know he seems to enjoy getting in Joe Thornton's face and maybe not do anything exactly mean, but still frustrating the hell out of him by getting in his face and pushing him around all night. I actually think it would be great if Hanzal can become adept at picking out what takes his check off of their game and uses that to his advantage all night, as opposed to just having the more obvious mean streak some players display. He seems to be picking that up on several players already.

Old
12-22-2009, 08:06 PM
Alamo

Is anyone else completely amazed by our 4th line?

Alamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 08:20 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
I was very impressed by Hanzal last night! I loved how he not only stuck up for his teammates but he did so with some serious moxy! He straight up went after Boll and was actually handing it to him until Boll landed that one shot. Hanzal is a big boy and in my opinion he showed some serious promise in the toughness department. It seems like each year Hanzal grows more confident and more chippy. Basically I like that the kid is turning into a man, he's not going to take **** from any player and I think that's going to serve him very well in his career. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's one nasty dude to play against in a few years. Just imagine all that shutdown skill combined with a mean streak!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
That could be. He's shown flashes of it already. Every few games he'll start hitting his check on regular basis and just frustrate the hell out of that player all game. I know he seems to enjoy getting in Joe Thornton's face and maybe not do anything exactly mean, but still frustrating the hell out of him by getting in his face and pushing him around all night. I actually think it would be great if Hanzal can become adept at picking out what takes his check off of their game and uses that to his advantage all night, as opposed to just having the more obvious mean streak some players display. He seems to be picking that up on several players already.
There is still a hell of a lot of untapped skill there, too.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 08:31 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alamo View Post
Is anyone else completely amazed by our 4th line?
So much so, that I don't really consider them a fourth line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
It is. When it comes out, it is a sight to see.

Old
12-22-2009, 08:38 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I don't get how a guy with Hanzal's prowess has 3 goals this year. He is a setup man, for sure, but he has a great shot. I think it has more to do with the fact that on the line, he is the one that sets up the play. It's not often you see Vrbata win a battle in the corner, and then pass it. Prucha will win battles, for sure, but passes it off almost every time. Hanzal is sort of what Mueller was supposed to be, skill wise. I remember the scouting reports saying Hanzal was a 3rd line "checker" type, and Mueller the wiz kid playmaker. Neither has been really right, but when they are on, both are better than scouts gave them credit. Maybe Hanzal turns into a Lehtinen type. A guy who for all intents and purposes can bury the puck, but just has a better time dishing it and playing defense.

The Lombardi-Upshall pair has been the only part of the roster to "click" offensively and they have the stats to show for it.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:19 PM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

I've always thought Hanzal's max potential would be a Getzlaf-type player. Big, mean and skilled. My favorite kind of player. I was a huge fan of Forsberg - my favorite player of all time actually. I'd love for Hanzal to evolve in that direction.

BTW - my business partner just gave me a Forsberg signed Avs jersey as an early birthday present. So awesome.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:20 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
I've always thought Hanzal's max potential would be a Getzlaf-type player. Big, mean and skilled. My favorite kind of player. I was a huge fan of Forsberg - my favorite player of all time actually. I'd love for Hanzal to evolve in that direction.

BTW - my business partner just gave me a Forsberg signed Avs jersey as an early birthday present. So awesome.
I always thought Hanzel was a better version of Handzus.

hbk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:51 PM
52G228PIM*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post

Avalanche?? Get a rope..naaaa H.B., dog..

52G228PIM* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 10:23 PM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52G228PIM View Post
Avalanche?? Get a rope..naaaa H.B., dog..

Ha! Thx man.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 10:36 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
Funny you mention that. For some reason I thought they looked alike when they Zeus had long hair...But Hanzal's hair is relatively short...yea I know nothing to do with skill haha

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 03:12 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
Same here! I think Hanzal has a higher ceiling but regardless I think he's at least a safe bet to match Handzus's career. I'm of course hoping for the former but I can live with the latter. I don't think he'll ever be a PPG player but I don't think it's far fetched to think he could develop into a 20/40 guy and win a Selke or two in the process.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote