HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Torts not impressed by Reds,indicates changes on D looming

Old
12-22-2009, 10:09 AM
Jersey Girl

vCash: 500
Well, Redden was not terrible, made some decent passes, and actually played at times like he cared about the outcome of the game.

That said, Micheletti was going way overboard on how well he played by the end of the game. Redden had a few really bad shifts (admittedly he also had a few really good shifts), not just one, so the praise seemed very forced.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 10:14 AM
Salsa Shark

It also seemed Joe has some sort of crush on Matt Cullen. Was it just me, or was he saying something positive about Cullen every two minutes?

Salsa Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 10:19 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Well, Redden was not terrible, made some decent passes, and actually played at times like he cared about the outcome of the game.

That said, Micheletti was going way overboard on how well he played by the end of the game. Redden had a few really bad shifts (admittedly he also had a few really good shifts), not just one, so the praise seemed very forced.
Joe likes to switch it up. He was into praising the other teams goalie for stoning the Rangers.

Think it finally clicked when he realized he was doing it EVERY game.

That said, he is no JD, but i do like the guy.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 10:48 AM
4rde

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
He was good tonight, a little more physical then we've seen him all season landing some big hits.

He did has one BRUTAL shift in the second though when he gave the puck away, got it back...then almost fumbled it next to Lundqvist at the goal line, then made another brutal pass(but stole it right back thankfully)....besides that shift he was good.
Ye that shift was so funny, he passed it right to Canes player sticks 3 times, too bad they couldnt hold it

Someone should make same kind of video as that Aaron Ward shift

Redden: Here, take this puck. No? well then you take it. Dont want it? Well hey you over there im passing it to you!! Ah damn, he didnt want it either. Well, maybe i should pass it to my teammates now

4rde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:19 AM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post

But he does that for everybody. He goes way way overboard in his praise of Staal. Did that yesterday. When a player is struggling, his usual description is, "You know Sam... the guy's a winner. He just loves to win. When a player hasn't scored a goal in 15 games and has one visible shift it's, "You can tell Sam... he's about to break out. The way he's playing... you can just feel it." And it he keeps that going for several weeks until the guy finally pops one in. That's just the way he is. He's a company man.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 02:34 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Torts wasn't impressed with Redden

Quote:
"I thought he had some good shifts and some crappy shifts," the head coach said following this morning's skate when asked his opinion of the veteran's performance after he'd been a healthy scratch the previous two games.

Tortorella acknowledged that the Rangers, who will bring a three-game winning streak into tonight's Garden match against the Panthers, have personnel decisions to make on the blue line once the holiday roster freeze lifts on the morning of Dec. 28.

Indeed, the head coach said there is, "no argument" at the moment against carrying a seventh defenseman given his expressed concerns about his back line. Other than a few days last week, the Rangers have gone with six defensemen essentially all season.

"After Christmas we'll have some decisions to make along the way, so we'll see," said Tortorella. "Ask me [about the seventh D] again after Christmas."
http://www.nypost.com/p/tortorella_n...Xbl3Aq8HGVunxL

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 02:40 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
What's the deal with Dandenault? Is he still inured?

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 02:42 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
He requires a NHL contract. The Rangers have 1 contract left.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 02:43 PM
beastly115

Sooo... can anyone explain to me why we don't have a 7th d-man? Is it because Sather cap-****ed us this season?

Whatever. The more Redden rides the pine, the more likely he is to be traded.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 03:11 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Sooo... can anyone explain to me why we don't have a 7th d-man? Is it because Sather cap-****ed us this season?

Whatever. The more Redden rides the pine, the more likely he is to be traded.
I think he is more likely to be waived then traded. I really can't see another team taking on his salary.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 03:22 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Hah, the only way Redden is getting dealt is if Brian Campbell is coming back. Guy will get waived and sent to hartford before that happens by far.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 03:26 PM
TheHotRock

the thing about waiving redden and sending him down is that if you make that decision, its a full season commitment. you can't even think about bringing him back up because there's a pretty good chance that he'll be taken on re-entry waivers. he's worth just about 3.25 and i think even with the years left on his deal, some team will take a chance on him at that price.

then we have 3.25 in dead cap space for the next 4 years.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 03:35 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
the thing about waiving redden and sending him down is that if you make that decision, its a full season commitment. you can't even think about bringing him back up because there's a pretty good chance that he'll be taken on re-entry waivers. he's worth just about 3.25 and i think even with the years left on his deal, some team will take a chance on him at that price.

And if that's re-invested towards another dman, odds are they won't significantly outplay Reds, making it a bad move in my opinion. I still think the best move is to move Rozsival, and demote Wade to the third pairing if Torts despises his game THAT much.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 03:48 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
He requires a NHL contract. The Rangers have 1 contract left.
I knew he had no NHL deal, but I didn't know we were up to 49 already. I remember someone (Leslie?) saying he was about to receive a contract before the injury...you think that still stands if he comes back anytime soon?

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 03:54 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Torts pre-game interview: http://rangers.nhl.tv/team/console.j...d=765&id=55178

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 04:01 PM
The Thomas J.*

Watching that interview, It is so Obvious that Torts dislikes Redden on a personal level, because he has been hinting at sending him down since training camp, now he is just bashing him on a daily basis. Just look at his facial expersions he can't even look the reporter or the camera in the eye when speaking of "Reds".

As far as sending him down & calling him back up , to have $12 million of dead cap sapce for the next for years just sickens me. The guy has had enough chances, he doesn't desere to play in the NHL. If we must suffer though paying him I would rather it be in Hartford.

On the bright side maybe we can trade him to the KHL next season & let them pick up a big part of his salary.

Last edited by The Thomas J.*: 12-23-2009 at 04:07 PM.
The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 04:04 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post

I think $3.25 million for 4 years is still an overpayment for Wade Redden. Robidas has a cap hit of $3.3 starting next year; Kronwall's cap hit is $3 million; Chris Phillips, Willie Mitchell, and Sami Salo have a $3.5 million cap hit, etc. All of these defensemen blow Redden out of the water in terms of skill, ability, and contract value.

The teams below us in the standings right now either don't have the cap space to take on $3.25 million or are not in the market for a defenseman. I'm not sure if many teams are going to be rushing to clear salary to pick up Redden off of waivers. There are plenty of defensemen in this league who can do what he does, or better, for far less money.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 04:11 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Squishy indicated on the Hartford thread recently that he was still injured. I've seen no indication as to when he'll be ready to play again.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 04:27 PM
Nick00

This is all about finding a way to clear up cap space and has little or nothing to do with how Redden plays on a nightly basis.
His untradeable contract is creating cap hell for Sather, and I think he wants him buried in the minors by the trade deadline.
Tortorella is using the media to make it as uncomfortable as possible for Redden by sending out a message that his NHL career is on the line every time he steps onto the ice.
That way in a month or two they can say "we gave him a chance and he brought this upon himself", once they inevitably decide to send him down to Hartford.
It's just the beginning of a process which will ultimately end with Redden off of this roster for good.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 04:32 PM
levski87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick00 View Post
This is all about finding a way to clear up cap space and has little or nothing to do with how Redden plays on a nightly basis.
His untradeable contract is creating cap hell for Sather, and I think he wants him buried in the minors by the trade deadline.
Tortorella is using the media to make it as uncomfortable as possible for Redden by sending out a message that his NHL career is on the line every time he steps onto the ice.
That way in a month or two they can say "we gave him a chance and he brought this upon himself", once they inevitably decide to send him down to Hartford.
It's just the beginning of a process which will ultimately end with Redden off of this roster for good.
This.

I called this the day Torts was hired.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 04:34 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
It's kinda like when your employer wants to force you to quit by nit-picking at every little thing you do or constantly looking over your shoulder. It seems it's the beginning of the end for Redden, no matter what he does.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 04:35 PM
jniklast

Quote:
I can't say I'd be upset about that. While it's not the nicest way to be treated, Redden gets compensated with more than enough money to "suffer" such a demotion.

jniklast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 04:38 PM
eco's bones

The Rangers are getting a break already with Dallas paying half of Avery's salary. We could look at that as an offset but if they're sending Redden down it's probably best with the idea he's not coming back. He doesn't hurt us in Hartford or whereever they sent Rissmiller. As for the next 4 years who knows. I guess we'll think about that when we have to.

It's not even that Redden can't play passable NHL defense--he was brought in to be a fixture on the pwp and a big minute player on our D and that hasn't happened with either Renney or Tortorella--with Tortorella having bigger expectations than Renney of what he wants from him--and he's taking up about one out of 7 dollars of our cap space--I think it's right for there to be big expectations. I don't think Redden is capable of meeting them and for the team to get better not just now but over the next few years they are going to have to dump him--however ugly that turns out to be.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 04:41 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
The Rangers are getting a break already with Dallas paying half of Avery's salary. We could look at that as an offset but if they're sending Redden down it's probably best with the idea he's not coming back. He doesn't hurt us in Hartford or whereever they sent Rissmiller. As for the next 4 years who knows. I guess we'll think about that when we have to.

It's not even that Redden can't play passable NHL defense--he was brought in to be a fixture on the pwp and a big minute player on our D and that hasn't happened with either Renney or Tortorella--with Tortorella having bigger expectations than Renney of what he wants from him--and he's taking up about one out of 7 dollars of our cap space--I think it's right for there to be big expectations. I don't think Redden is capable of meeting them and for the team to get better not just now but over the next few years they are going to have to dump him--however ugly that turns out to be.
Hey, like I said, if we can get a replacement for him either in Hartford or somewhere else for less $$$, I'm all for it.

I would like to see them give Sauer a legitimate shot, frankly. He's so solid defensively.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 04:43 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
I think $3.25 million for 4 years is still an overpayment for Wade Redden. Robidas has a cap hit of $3.3 starting next year; Kronwall's cap hit is $3 million; Chris Phillips, Willie Mitchell, and Sami Salo have a $3.5 million cap hit, etc. All of these defensemen blow Redden out of the water in terms of skill, ability, and contract value.

The teams below us in the standings right now either don't have the cap space to take on $3.25 million or are not in the market for a defenseman. I'm not sure if many teams are going to be rushing to clear salary to pick up Redden off of waivers. There are plenty of defensemen in this league who can do what he does, or better, for far less money.
Perhaps, but it's not nearly as much an overpayment as 6.5MM is. It's too great a risk that someone bites at half the cost. If we send him down it has to be a 1 way ticket...at least for the rest of the season.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote