HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Torts not impressed by Reds,indicates changes on D looming

Old
12-23-2009, 05:00 PM
ThirdEye

vCash: 500
Doesn't the AHL also have a salary cap? How exactly are they going to send 6.5 million down there. Just not plausible

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 05:02 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
There's a 10M cap. I think he'd fit in there fine since most are on two-way deals or signed to small contracts.

It's not like we have multiple million dollar contracts in the minors.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 05:03 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Watching that interview, It is so Obvious that Torts dislikes Redden on a personal level, because he has been hinting at sending him down since training camp, now he is just bashing him on a daily basis. Just look at his facial expersions he can't even look the reporter or the camera in the eye when speaking of "Reds".
I don't think that's true...Tortorella didn't hint at sending Redden down around training camp at all. He said they had talked about trying to get more out of Redden and him having a good year, etc, but unless you can find me a quote about waiving Redden then I think you're just making that up.

Plus Tortorella doesn't always look at the reporter or camera when talking in interviews, even when it's not about Redden. You're just making stuff up.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 05:07 PM
Vitto79

This has Re-entry waivers all over it. Its going to blow having 3+ million as a cap hit but I think its going down for sure

Redden at 3.75 is not ridiculous

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 05:29 PM
Fletch

I don't think we can say who Torts dislikes on a personal level. I think we can say that he hates losing, and that he has a guy on his team that's supposed to be a veteran leader on an otherwise young defense, and he's not getting the job done, which contributes to losing, which Torts hates.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 05:31 PM
pwoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
This has Re-entry waivers all over it. Its going to blow having 3+ million as a cap hit but I think its going down for sure

Columbus could use another veteran on D... not like they're going to make the playoffs any time soon.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 05:51 PM
Blueblood 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I don't think we can say who Torts dislikes on a personal level. I think we can say that he hates losing, and that he has a guy on his team that's supposed to be a veteran leader on an otherwise young defense, and he's not getting the job done, which contributes to losing, which Torts hates.

That is it in a nutshell. This is a business and Torts is the top dog. Winning cures many ills when that is how you measure performance of the business. Tortorella is no shrinking violet and I am sure he is an equal opportunity guy whether dealing up the ladder or down. Would love to be a fly on the wall when he is having his "discussions" with Sather. Think Sather can tolerate being held accountable? I worry with "bull in a china shop Messier", waiting in the wings. I fear he would be a disaster as a coach or GM. ie. Bobby Clarke.

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 07:22 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I don't think that's true...Tortorella didn't hint at sending Redden down around training camp at all. He said they had talked about trying to get more out of Redden and him having a good year, etc, but unless you can find me a quote about waiving Redden then I think you're just making that up.

Plus Tortorella doesn't always look at the reporter or camera when talking in interviews, even when it's not about Redden. You're just making stuff up.

During the 2nd week of traing camp Tort's said he was impressed with the kids on Defense & unimpressed with some of the "vets" I took this as him meaning Redden & Rozival.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 07:33 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:

It's actually $3.25, which is very reasonable for Redden.

Here's the thing. If the Rangers believe that either Sanger or Heineken or Sauer is ready to play 10-12 minutes immediately, they might as well lose Redden on re-entry.

With $3.25 saved by sending Redden elsewhere, and paying a rookie $.0.75, it would still be a saving of around $2.5.

Alternatively, I wouldn't mind giving up Sauer to have someone take Redden and his full salary.

We have too many D right now anyway and I'd rather have an extra $3.25 than Sauer. We can sign a better player with that money than Sauer.

Maybe even Sauer and a mid-round pick (4-5 round). That's not a bad package for a team with a lot of cap room.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 07:41 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Why would any team want Redden at $3.25 for 5 years??

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 08:25 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion
Confirmed with Link:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
Why would any team want Redden at $3.25 for 5 years??
If Redden signed with us for that amount today, I wouldn't have any problems with him.

Boom Boom Geoffrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 08:34 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I think a buyout after the year is in order if Redden is sent to Hartford before the year's over

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 08:35 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
If Redden signed with us for that amount today, I wouldn't have any problems with him.
That's a lot of years that's what would turn me off to that contract

Old
12-23-2009, 08:36 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:

We'd be better off buying him out than letting him get claimed on re-entry waivers.

Old
12-23-2009, 08:37 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
There's a 10M cap. I think he'd fit in there fine since most are on two-way deals or signed to small contracts.

It's not like we have multiple million dollar contracts in the minors.
Rissmiller at 1mil
Vali at 825K(i think? around 800K...)
PAP at 550K

Voros could be there in the future. If Redden is sent to the AHL it's not going to be a longterm solution.

Old
12-23-2009, 08:38 PM
Greg02

Echl?

:p

Greg02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 08:51 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion
Confirmed with Link:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
That's a lot of years that's what would turn me off to that contract
It is, but at that cap hit you would have a lot more options. You would be able to trade him, for example. Or waive him. Or buy him out.

If a player is playing up to his potential and is worthy of their contract, I don't think the amount of years remaining on it is a big deal. Certainly isn't with Gaborik. Or Lundqvist.

Had Redden signed for that amount, that extra 3.25M could have been used to re-sign Zherdev. Or we could have gone after someone like Cammalerri.

Boom Boom Geoffrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 10:11 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

the only reason i am all for buying him or re-entry is because if he's an average or even an above average d-man now, what the heck will he be at 35, 36 and 37 making all that money?

I mean, does anybody think he will get better with age? i dont.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 10:52 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
the only reason i am all for buying him or re-entry is because if he's an average or even an above average d-man now, what the heck will he be at 35, 36 and 37 making all that money?

I mean, does anybody think he will get better with age? i dont.
Redden's decline came on so sudden that he plays older than his age. He's 32 but looks like a 37-year-old out there. His speed is reminiscent of Shanny in his last season here.

Redden is still an everyday player right now and would probably be a 3rd pairing defenseman on most teams. But in 2 years from now, I think he could struggle to play at an NHL level. I'd be pretty surprised if he's not waived or bought out at some point during his contract term.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 10:56 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Doesn't the AHL also have a salary cap? How exactly are they going to send 6.5 million down there. Just not plausible
Sure it is.

AHL salaries are in $62,500-$80,000 range for two way contracts or ELC's.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 11:44 PM
Crease

I'm not so sure a buyout would be that much more advantageous than losing Redden on re-entry.

The cap hit for a buy-out would be $1.9M for the next two seasons, $3.4M for seasons 3 and 4, and $1.9M again for seasons 5 and 6.

The cap hit for a re-entry claim would be $3.75 for the next 4 seasons.

That being said, I'd prefer the buyout method.

Ideally though, sending Redden down now clears cap space until we can trade him (albeit for peanuts). Yes Redden is an NHL caliber defenseman, but at such a horrible value for $6.5M a season, he needs to get off the roster.

Redden is correct in that he was being unfairly singled out for the benching. He's not our worst defenseman. But his salary makes us incapable of improving the roster, so while sending him down would hurt us in the short run, it'll help us in the long run.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 11:45 PM
tjs252

What are the rules regarding a buyout in the AHL?

I assume it would count against the NHL cap, but at the same time, I don't know if it would be justifiable to punish a parent team for making a AHL roster decision (given that a case like Redden's would be extremely isolated).

tjs252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 11:45 PM
FLYLine24*

Redden has been fine. The entire D has looked good over the past week and a half.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 11:55 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs252 View Post
What are the rules regarding a buyout in the AHL?

I assume it would count against the NHL cap, but at the same time, I don't know if it would be justifiable to punish a parent team for making a AHL roster decision (given that a case like Redden's would be extremely isolated).
I'd imagine that buying out an NHL contract would have cap implications for the NHL roster.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 12:13 AM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

vCash: 50
If we bury Redden in the minors, can we loan him to a KHL team? Not really familiar with that type of situation, does anybody know how that would work?

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote