HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Torts not impressed by Reds,indicates changes on D looming

Old
12-24-2009, 12:42 AM
TheHotRock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
If we bury Redden in the minors, can we loan him to a KHL team? Not really familiar with that type of situation, does anybody know how that would work?
we can but dude just got married, do you think his wife wants to shlep to russia? maybe if they kick him a few bucks.

only plus i see for redden is the chance to play for canada at the worlds (hi mess)

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 01:08 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
It is, but at that cap hit you would have a lot more options. You would be able to trade him, for example. Or waive him. Or buy him out.

If a player is playing up to his potential and is worthy of their contract, I don't think the amount of years remaining on it is a big deal. Certainly isn't with Gaborik. Or Lundqvist.

Had Redden signed for that amount, that extra 3.25M could have been used to re-sign Zherdev. Or we could have gone after someone like Cammalerri.
I don't really understand your logic at all...either you've got re-entry waivers figured out all wrong or I don't understand your point.

If a team claims him, why would they do it just to waive him, trade him, or buy him out?

If a team doesn't claim him on re-entry waivers, we don't just magically lose half his cap hit...

The years are a big deal, because it's still 3.25mil on the team that claims him's cap for 4 years after this year. He's not going to get any better than he is right now, and even at $3.25mil that's pretty pricey for a 3rd pair defenseman that isn't going to put up many points.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 01:10 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Sure it is.

AHL salaries are in $62,500-$80,000 range for two way contracts or ELC's.
Except we've already got upwards of $2mil tied up in the AHL in one way contracts. Add Redden to that mix and it's upwards of 8.5mil.

Old
12-24-2009, 01:11 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
If we bury Redden in the minors, can we loan him to a KHL team? Not really familiar with that type of situation, does anybody know how that would work?
yeah.

And that'd also mean another contract for Redden, just like Filatov's situation.

Old
12-24-2009, 01:11 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I think a buyout after the year is in order if Redden is sent to Hartford before the year's over
Remind me what the buyout rules are again. I read them before, but blanking on what exactly they would be.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 01:14 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
Remind me what the buyout rules are again. I read them before, but blanking on what exactly they would be.
This is from the Redden/Kotalik benched thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amendandrevise View Post

2010-2011: $1,916,667
2011-2012: $1,916,667
2012-2013: $3,416,667
2013-2014: $3,416,667
2014-2015: $1,916,667
2015-2016: $1,916,667
2016-2017: $1,916,667
2017-2018: $1,916,667

http://www.capgeek.com/buyout_calcul...LCULATE+BUYOUT
Much better option than putting him through re-entry waivers and hoping a team claims him IMO. I'd rather have the hit spread out at ~1.9 million dollars and the two years that Redden would've been under contract anyway in 12-13 and 13-14 with 3.4 million dollar cap hits, than having an ~3.75 million dollar cap hit for the remainder of his contract.

Old
12-24-2009, 01:19 AM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

I think that a buyout at the end of the season is not only humane but essential to keep New York as a preferred destination for players. Once you bury players in the minors for a long time it will hurt recruiting in the future. One solution, albeit not a great one, is a "My problem for your problem" trade with a team that thinks they can revive Redden. Perhaps someone like Visnovsky (who could eventually be buried in Europe) The only other way I see someone taking this contract is if we package it with assets and I'd really like to avoid doing that.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 01:24 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
I think that a buyout at the end of the season is not only humane but essential to keep New York as a preferred destination for players. Once you bury players in the minors for a long time it will hurt recruiting in the future. One solution, albeit not a great one, is a "My problem for your problem" trade with a team that thinks they can revive Redden. Perhaps someone like Visnovsky (who could eventually be buried in Europe) The only other way I see someone taking this contract is if we package it with assets and I'd really like to avoid doing that.
Redden's contract is the worst value in hockey IMO. At least with Drury, you get a two-way player still capable of powerplay points and hot streaks. Redden's an average to above average, stay at home defenseman, limited by his speed, that isn't putting any significant amount of points on the board. Jay Bouwmeester's contract is nearly identical in cap hit and years, was signed when Bouwmeester was younger and coming off of a better season than Redden if I'm not mistaken, and shows how bad of a contract this really is. I don't know that Redden in his prime deserves the contract we gave him.

Old
12-24-2009, 08:28 AM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
we can but dude just got married, do you think his wife wants to shlep to russia? maybe if they kick him a few bucks.

only plus i see for redden is the chance to play for canada at the worlds (hi mess)
I'm sure the Rangers organization would let him decide if he would rather stay in the AHL or be loaned to a KHL team. Thanks for clearing that up for me though.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 10:15 AM
Jeds2StepOpus

[QUOTE=Boom Boom Geoffrion;22825790]

Had Redden signed for that amount, that extra 3.25M could have been used to re-sign Zherdev.........QUOTE]

For another lazy, disinterested, soft underacheiver?

Doesn't seem like a good use of the money.

I could think a thousand better uses for that money, than to spend it on Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz would never even enter my mind.

Not even as an afterthought.

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 10:48 AM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Redden's contract is the worst value in hockey IMO. At least with Drury, you get a two-way player still capable of powerplay points and hot streaks. Redden's an average to above average, stay at home defenseman, limited by his speed, that isn't putting any significant amount of points on the board. Jay Bouwmeester's contract is nearly identical in cap hit and years, was signed when Bouwmeester was younger and coming off of a better season than Redden if I'm not mistaken, and shows how bad of a contract this really is. I don't know that Redden in his prime deserves the contract we gave him.
Agree with you on all points. The Rangers banked heavily on Redden bouncing back from a bad run in Ottawa. It's too bad that it's come to this. I just hope someone (Tom Renney) will take him.

Old
12-24-2009, 12:22 PM
RangerFan10

[QUOTE=Jeds2StepOpus;22832106]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post

Had Redden signed for that amount, that extra 3.25M could have been used to re-sign Zherdev.........QUOTE]

For another lazy, disinterested, soft underacheiver?

Doesn't seem like a good use of the money.

I could think a thousand better uses for that money, than to spend it on Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz would never even enter my mind.

Not even as an afterthought.
that "lazy, disinterested, soft, underachiever" would've been the complimentary player we needed behind Gaborik. I think Z got a bad rap here, and if he wasn't Russian I think we'd be likening him a lot more to the way Higgins is where Z just couldnt score at the end of the year, than a stereotypical Russian. Against Washington I didn't see a player that was lazy, I saw someone that was frustrated and it just lead to gripping the stick tighter. I can't remember a time I saw Zherdev playing blatently lazy like I've seen Kotalik play this year. We just write it off as Kotalik not having talent, but because we've seen what Zherdev CAN do, the minute he messes up or can't score a point a night+, he's "lazy, disinterested, soft, and an underachiever."

It's dissapointing we didn't give Zherdev a better shot. Would've been interesting to see if he had any chemistry with Anisimov.

Old
12-24-2009, 12:47 PM
nycbruins*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Visnovsky is on pace for almost 60 points and is a +7 on the 3rd worst team in hockey. Tell me why he will be buried in Europe or traded for the worst K in hockey?

nycbruins* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 01:22 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
It's a shame because Redden is actually my 3rd favorite defender on this team, but if I had to pick a player to come off the team it has to be him. Even if I wasn't forced to pick a player to come off the team, I'd still want him gone. At 4 million dollars a season, I'd have a Wade Redden jersey. But at his cap hit, we can't have him here. There is too much talent becoming available to keep him here. I'm happy Torts knows this, I'm happy Sather is about to admit his mistake, because the end has clearly begun for him.

As far as replacements go, if Redden is moved at or before the trade deadline, I'd like to see Sauer given a shot. I feel like if he doesn't get it this year, he never will, and will be caught up in our log jam for years to come.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 01:53 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Capitals essentially threw Michael Nylander off the team with two seasons remaining on his contract. He hasn't been in their plans since the beginning of last season. He wasn't part of the team this season. I heard him being interviewed on XM radio last week the 4-6pm show(Power Play from Gretzky's restaurant in Toronto). He understands its a business. Players are not going to shy away from the Caps because of the way they "treated" Nylander. He cleared waivers twice. He accepted the assignments to Grand Rapids. First the conditioning assignment and now the more permanent one. Since he has a NMC,he gave permission for those moves. The Caps didn't buy him out last summer and have NO plans on buying him out. Why should the Rangers buyout Redden?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 03:12 PM
The Thomas J.*

I think Reddens wife will love living in Conn. It's beautiful there! Nice place to raise a family.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 11:18 AM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
The Capitals essentially threw Michael Nylander off the team with two seasons remaining on his contract. He hasn't been in their plans since the beginning of last season. He wasn't part of the team this season. I heard him being interviewed on XM radio last week the 4-6pm show(Power Play from Gretzky's restaurant in Toronto). He understands its a business. Players are not going to shy away from the Caps because of the way they "treated" Nylander. He cleared waivers twice. He accepted the assignments to Grand Rapids. First the conditioning assignment and now the more permanent one. Since he has a NMC,he gave permission for those moves. The Caps didn't buy him out last summer and have NO plans on buying him out. Why should the Rangers buyout Redden?
I wouldn't count on that. I've talked to enough players through the years to know there is a strong undercurrent of which teams are good organizations and which are not. It affects decisions. Yeah, if the money is lopsided, players will follow the cash. But when the money is similar, organizations win. Look at what has happened to the Islanders over the last few years -- they are perceived around the league as a poor organization and they have trouble signing free agents. Frankly I think it is one reason Redden chose the Rangers over a very similar contract in Columbus.

Old
12-26-2009, 11:32 AM
SouvenirCity

I think regardless of whether Redden outplays Rozsival, he will always be the one singled-out. Slats obviously sees that Rozsivals trade value is much higher than that of Redden, and sitting Rozsi would lower his confidence, thus lowering his value.

And while Redden's play has been better as of late, its still not play that rationalizes that idiotic contract. Thats why if he is indeed waived, he'll clear. No-one will want that albatross.

Personally if we moved both, I'd be ecstatic. But if Rozsi's traded, Redden's most definitely staying, and vice versa. It's essentially a lesser of two evils discussion.

SouvenirCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 11:38 AM
SouvenirCity

Quote:
Buying Redden out would be the last thing to do. I'd rather take the 6.5M cap hit for four more seasons, than having a 4.33M cap hit for 8 years. Even having him picked up on re-entry, would be better than a buy-out.

SouvenirCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 11:44 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouvenirCity View Post
Buying Redden out would be the last thing to do. I'd rather take the 6.5M cap hit for four more seasons, than having a 4.33M cap hit for 8 years. Even having him picked up on re-entry, would be better than a buy-out.
It's not going to be 4.33 million for 8 years though. It's going to be more like 2 million as listed above

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 12:40 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

I think loaning Redden to a KHL team would be the best option, personally.

This way we can wash him off our hands easily and maybe the Russian mob will be angered by him and they'll find their own way of ridding him.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 12:44 PM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouvenirCity View Post
It never reaches 4M

Quote:
WADE REDDEN BUYOUT FROM CAPGEEK.COM
2010-2011: $1,916,667
2011-2012: $1,916,667
2012-2013: $3,416,667
2013-2014: $3,416,667
2014-2015: $1,916,667
2015-2016: $1,916,667
2016-2017: $1,916,667
2017-2018: $1,916,667

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 12:46 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
I think I'm on board with buying him out as long as someone from Hartford can impress. I really want to see Sauer getting a real shot.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 12:55 PM
Chimp

Oh man, youngest defense in the NHL by far, here we come... I'm personally quite unsure if I would prefer Drury or Redden gone. Both are absolutely horrible contracts. How about both?

I'm just quite surprised this alienation towards Redden has started now of all times, I think he's been one of our best defensemen this season. Perhaps because Torts can see the much cheaper alternatives from the back and it's not like we're going anywhere anyway with this team for some time.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 01:04 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Oh man, youngest defense in the NHL by far, here we come... I'm personally quite unsure if I would prefer Drury or Redden gone. Both are absolutely horrible contracts. How about both?

I'm just quite surprised this alienation towards Redden has started now of all times, I think he's been one of our best defensemen this season. Perhaps because Torts can see the much cheaper alternatives from the back and it's not like we're going anywhere anyway with this team for some time.
I agree but Drury is not going anywhere until his contract is up. The NMC makes him unmoveable even to the AHL. Being captain would make it even more of a public relations disaster. Just don't see it happening. Got to take what you can get and Redden's contract for now may be it.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote