HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

David Shantz and Justin Peters

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2004, 04:00 AM
HabLover

vCash: 500
David Shantz and Justin Peters

Where do these two fit into the 2004 NHL Entry Draft??

Could either of them slide into the 1st round?? Are they as good or better than either Schwarz or Dubnyk??

They are both having outstanding playoff runs in the OHL playoffs right now for 17 yr old goaltenders.

Old
04-18-2004, 10:24 AM
VOB

I would think that Shantz has to be more highly regarded today than Dubnyk who has been inconsistant the entire year. Dubnyk failed to carry his team into the post season and has been mediocre in net for Team Canada at the U-18 championships. In fact Canada had outshot both the Russians and the U.S. team (and really carried the play against the U.S.) only to lose because of soft goals allowed by Dubnyk. I would be surprised to see Dubs drafted in the first round.

Old
04-18-2004, 10:33 AM
Doomsday Device

Location: Gary Coleman's Finishing School for Doomsday Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOB
I would think that Shantz has to be more highly regarded today than Dubnyk who has been inconsistant the entire year. Dubnyk failed to carry his team into the post season and has been mediocre in net for Team Canada at the U-18 championships. In fact Canada had outshot both the Russians and the U.S. team (and really carried the play against the U.S.) only to lose because of soft goals allowed by Dubnyk. I would be surprised to see Dubs drafted in the first round.
You can add another game to the list as Canada outshot the Czechs and lost today in the bronze medal game.

Old
04-18-2004, 11:49 AM
Brock
HFB Partner

I'd have David Schantz as the third rated goaltender for the draft, personally, ahead of Dubnyk. He's an excellent goaltender and has been solid this year for the Dogs.

I see Peters as anywhere from a mid second to mid third pick.

Old
04-18-2004, 08:07 PM
Hockeystick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock
I'd have David Schantz as the third rated goaltender for the draft, personally, ahead of Dubnyk. He's an excellent goaltender and has been solid this year for the Dogs.

I see Peters as anywhere from a mid second to mid third pick.
I have watched Peters and Shantz about 10 times each....most games are against each other. If I had to choose between the two, I would draft Peters. Fundamentally, he is a stronger goalie. Peters is faster,bigger and handles the puck better. The Skill competition at the Prospect game proves my point. Peters is two weeks from going in the 2005 draft. Both of them are very valuable to their teams....don't take me wrong...Shantz is very good as well.

Old
04-18-2004, 08:19 PM
Dr_Chimera*

Send a message via ICQ to Dr_Chimera* Send a message via MSN to Dr_Chimera*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeystick
I have watched Peters and Shantz about 10 times each....most games are against each other. If I had to choose between the two, I would draft Peters. Fundamentally, he is a stronger goalie. Peters is faster,bigger and handles the puck better. The Skill competition at the Prospect game proves my point. Peters is two weeks from going in the 2005 draft. Both of them are very valuable to their teams....don't take me wrong...Shantz is very good as well.
No way Peters is faster. He's a big boy and needs to lose some weight.

He is very fundamentally strong I agree, but Shantz is superior laterally.

Old
04-18-2004, 08:32 PM
Brock
HFB Partner

Quote:
Hmm.

Well i've seen Peters only a few times this year, outside the CHL Top Prospects Game, and He's never really impressed me. He struck me as actually being a little on the slow side, in terms of skating. His fundementals looked strong, but he just never really did it for me.

Maybe it's because I've seen Shantz more then the others.

Old
04-18-2004, 08:56 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Peters is second or more likely third round material.

Shantz could be a borderline first rounder, but probably a second rounder. He could certainly go over Dubnyk at this point but that would have more to do with Dubnyk sliding down the board than Shantz skyrocketing up it. Schwarz and Montoya are well ahead of the goaltending pack for this year's draft.

Old
04-21-2004, 11:15 PM
HabLover

Quote:

Mr. Shantz had another shutout tonight for the Ice Dogs against Toronto and now has like 5 shutouts in these playoffs. His stats to date are amazing! Peters from Toronto isn't too far behind.

Shantz performance to date must be skyrocketing him up the charts! There is no reason he won't be up there with Schwarz, Montoya and Dubnyk! He will definitely be on the next rising stars in the next Redline.

Old
04-22-2004, 02:29 AM
Hiishawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabLover
Mr. Shantz had another shutout tonight for the Ice Dogs against Toronto and now has like 5 shutouts in these playoffs. His stats to date are amazing! Peters from Toronto isn't too far behind.

Shantz performance to date must be skyrocketing him up the charts! There is no reason he won't be up there with Schwarz, Montoya and Dubnyk! He will definitely be on the next rising stars in the next Redline.
Everybody seems to be forgetting Cory Schneider- he was very good at the World U18s and looks like a 1st round pick. McKeen's has him at #22 overall. Redline??

Old
04-22-2004, 10:04 AM
Brock
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by steblick
Everybody seems to be forgetting Cory Schneider- he was very good at the World U18s and looks like a 1st round pick. McKeen's has him at #22 overall. Redline??
Yeah Schneider for sure, is a big riser. As big as Schantz IMO. I see them both being potential 20-40 selections.

Peters is a step down IMO, probably 50-75 guy, with others such as Julien Ellis, Magnus Akerlund, etc

Old
04-23-2004, 02:15 PM
Chief

I think what you see with Dubnyk is that a lot of "experts" had him ranked high early on and they don't want to drop him too far, too quickly in the hopes he could turn it around and validate their original opinions of him...(I think the same goes to a lesser extent with regard to Julien Ellis Plante)...I've thought all along that Dubnyk would be lucky to land in the first round come draft day...he is a big body though and occcassionally looks real good...I love Shantz and would place him on a level below Montoya and Schwartz...I have Schneider rated higher than Shantz but they are not very far apart.

Closed Thread