HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

THN "Future Watch" 2010

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-03-2010, 11:40 PM
  #76
Delta Cubes
Registered User
 
Delta Cubes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,453
vCash: 500
1. Eberle
2. MPS
3. Omark
4. Petry
5. Nash

Delta Cubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:48 AM
  #77
McDoused
Registered User
 
McDoused's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Katy <3
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,509
vCash: 500
I wonder if Chorney will still be considered a prospect for Edmonton. Also I wouldn't be surprised to see Alex Plante jump up a bit after being promoted to the NHL.

1. Eberle
2. Paajarvai
3. Omark
4. Petry
5. Lander
6. Nash
7. Peckham
8. Chorney
9. Plante
10. Dubnyk

HM: Rajala, Roy, Hartikainen, Cornet, Motin, Vande Velde

So many options to choose from lol.

McDoused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 09:27 AM
  #78
Spitfire14
Registered User
 
Spitfire14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Windsor, On
Country: Canada
Posts: 319
vCash: 500
I don't know if you guys heard but Hodgson is either making his debut tonight or sometime this weekend. On that note, I still think he should fall on the list. It will be interesting to see how he plays his first game back.

Spitfire14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:46 PM
  #79
yarder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: at my place
Country: Canada
Posts: 41
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck71 View Post
Whats up with this obsession of putting newly drafted prospects so high on the list? Schroeder really isn't having a strong season at all currently and I really do believe that Shirokov and Sauve are going to crack this roster before Schroeder does.
Agree with you on this...

also...Rodin gets 10pts on the 3rd line in WJC , Schroeder gets 8 points with 1st or 2nd line ice time and everyone has Schroeder in the top 3 and Rodin barely scatching the top 10... Imo Rodin has more upside


Last edited by yarder: 02-04-2010 at 02:04 PM.
yarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 09:07 PM
  #80
Habsfan18
Registered User
 
Habsfan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarder View Post
Agree with you on this...

also...Rodin gets 10pts on the 3rd line in WJC , Schroeder gets 8 points with 1st or 2nd line ice time and everyone has Schroeder in the top 3 and Rodin barely scatching the top 10... Imo Rodin has more upside
I don't know if Rodin has more upside, but I think he'll be an NHL player. I was very impressed with him at the WJC.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 02:19 PM
  #81
DJB
Registered User
 
DJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,669
vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarder View Post
Agree with you on this...

also...Rodin gets 10pts on the 3rd line in WJC , Schroeder gets 8 points with 1st or 2nd line ice time and everyone has Schroeder in the top 3 and Rodin barely scatching the top 10... Imo Rodin has more upside
Simply using stats from ONE WJC is not a good way to assess prospects.

In fact it's a terrible way...

DJB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 12:40 AM
  #82
AmericanDream
Puck You
 
AmericanDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Fort Worth TX
Country: United States
Posts: 12,124
vCash: 500
Who do you think will make THN's upcoming Top 50 Prospects list?

what are some of the players that you guys feel we might see in the upcoming Hockey New's top 50 prospect list?? I think they actually number it up to 75, but it basically highlights the top 50.

Specifically looking for first time guys that might be getting picked...

personally, I have to believe a solid portion of that team USA WJC team is going to make this list...Schroeder, Stepan, Kristo, Morin, Palmieri, Kreider, Carlson, D'Amigo, etc all will get some very serious consideration here...

I also have to imagine a Hodgson and Filatov drop, with a Markstrom and Eberle rise imo..

can't see how Filatov remains that high if the guy maybe never comes back to play here...also, he didn't light the world on fire over here either, so I could see a drop for him.

thanks

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 02:23 AM
  #83
ean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,803
vCash: 500
By chance, do you have last year's list? That might aid the discussion.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 02:25 AM
  #84
McMatthews
Registered User
 
McMatthews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: 6
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,059
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
what are some of the players that you guys feel we might see in the upcoming Hockey New's top 50 prospect list?? I think they actually number it up to 75, but it basically highlights the top 50.

Specifically looking for first time guys that might be getting picked...

personally, I have to believe a solid portion of that team USA WJC team is going to make this list...Schroeder, Stepan, Kristo, Morin, Palmieri, Kreider, Carlson, D'Amigo, etc all will get some very serious consideration here...

I also have to imagine a Hodgson and Filatov drop, with a Markstrom and Eberle rise imo..

can't see how Filatov remains that high if the guy maybe never comes back to play here...also, he didn't light the world on fire over here either, so I could see a drop for him.

thanks
But I thought Jerry D'Amigo sucked?

McMatthews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 03:14 AM
  #85
Brodeur
Registered User
 
Brodeur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 16,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
By chance, do you have last year's list? That might aid the discussion.
Last year's top 20:

Nikita Filatov
Cody Hodgson
Jacob Markstrom
Colin Wilson
Alex Pietrangelo
James Van Riemsdyk
Erik Karlsson
Claude Giroux
Tyler Myers
Max Pacioretty
Tuukka Rask
Sergei Varlamov
Luca Sbisa
Mikael Backlund
P.K. Subban
Zac Boychuk
Jordan Eberle
Ondrej Pavelec
Evgeny Grachev
Shawn Matthias

For THN's purposes, if a guy isn't an NHL regular at the time of the survey (about mid-January) he's still considered a prospect. So rookies like Tavares, Duchene, Hedman, Myers, etc wouldn't be eligible. A player like Erik Karlsson might reappear since THN might have not counted him as a full fledged NHLer in January but he'd be an NHL regular by the time the issue is published in 3 weeks.

I'd anticipate this year's list to be similar to last year's where the magazine noted that there wasn't a big consensus amongst the scouts it polled.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 10:19 AM
  #86
Habsfan18
Registered User
 
Habsfan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeJong View Post
Simply using stats from ONE WJC is not a good way to assess prospects.

In fact it's a terrible way...
Prospects tend to get majorly hyped up based on WJC performance every single year here at HF.

During this year's event, you'd think Nino Niederreiter is the second coming of Mario Lemieux.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 10:24 AM
  #87
Scouter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,730
vCash: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarder View Post
Agree with you on this...

also...Rodin gets 10pts on the 3rd line in WJC , Schroeder gets 8 points with 1st or 2nd line ice time and everyone has Schroeder in the top 3 and Rodin barely scatching the top 10... Imo Rodin has more upside
Schroeder has been ripping it up since his good WJC performance.

Scouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 10:41 AM
  #88
dru
Jarmo Unchained
 
dru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: CBUS
Country: United States
Posts: 6,412
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dru


1. Nikita Filatov
2. John Moore
3. Matt Calvert
4. Cody Goloubef
5. David Savard

dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 08:05 PM
  #89
Landeskog
Registered User
 
Landeskog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Burlington,On,CA
Country: Canada
Posts: 639
vCash: 500
Markstrom for 1 in the top20

1. kadri
2. bozzak
3. stalberg
4. hanson
5. gunnarsson

Landeskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 09:35 PM
  #90
CamDegs13
Nose Face Killah
 
CamDegs13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: UMass
Country: United States
Posts: 4,105
vCash: 500


Boston Bruins
1) Joe Colborne
2) Jordan Caron
3) Brad Marchand
4) Yuri Alexandrov
5) Max Sauve
6) Zach Hamill
7) Jamie Arniel
8) Mikko Lehtonen
9) Ryan Button
10) Tommy Cross

CamDegs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 09:57 PM
  #91
pman25
Registered User
 
pman25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Richmond
Country: United States
Posts: 1,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
1.Evander Kane
2.Arturs Kulda
3.Jeremy Morin
4.Carl Klingberg
5.Eric O'dell
6.Spencer Machachek
7.Angelo Esposito
8.Levko Koper
9.John Albert
10.Daultan Leveille
Don't forget Cormier and Vishnevskiy

For the Caps
1. Alzner
2. Carlson
3. Neuvirth
4. Johansson
5. Perreault or Bourque(If he still counts)

pman25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 09:54 AM
  #92
johnny canuckistan
Registered User
 
johnny canuckistan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Last year's top 20:

Nikita Filatov
Cody Hodgson
Jacob Markstrom
Colin Wilson
Alex Pietrangelo
James Van Riemsdyk
Erik Karlsson
Claude Giroux
Tyler Myers
Max Pacioretty
Tuukka Rask
Sergei Varlamov
Luca Sbisa
Mikael Backlund
P.K. Subban
Zac Boychuk
Jordan Eberle
Ondrej Pavelec
Evgeny Grachev
Shawn Matthias

For THN's purposes, if a guy isn't an NHL regular at the time of the survey (about mid-January) he's still considered a prospect. So rookies like Tavares, Duchene, Hedman, Myers, etc wouldn't be eligible. A player like Erik Karlsson might reappear since THN might have not counted him as a full fledged NHLer in January but he'd be an NHL regular by the time the issue is published in 3 weeks.

I'd anticipate this year's list to be similar to last year's where the magazine noted that there wasn't a big consensus amongst the scouts it polled.
I'm guessing that both Filatov and Hodgson will drop off a lot after this year's problems. That must be exciting for some new blood.

Nazem Kadri in the top five? And Brayden Schenn as well.

johnny canuckistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 04:36 PM
  #93
Brodeur
Registered User
 
Brodeur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 16,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny canuckistan View Post
I'm guessing that both Filatov and Hodgson will drop off a lot after this year's problems. That must be exciting for some new blood.

Nazem Kadri in the top five? And Brayden Schenn as well.
Depends on the criteria which the prospects are being ranked. I think the general idea is "which guy will be better in 3-5 years." So I'd expect Filatov and Hodgson to stay in the top 10 if they're grading on long term success (I haven't kept up with Hodgson's back problems, but that might be a legitimate concern).

As for guys who should get bumped up: Carlson (#27), Petry (#63), Couture (#68), B.Smith (#73).

Quite a few graduates from last year's top 75. van Riemsdyk (#6), Giroux (#8), Myers (#9), Pacioretty (#10), Rask (#11), Varlamov (#12), Pavelec (#18), Helm (#25), Del Zotto (#32), Benn (#33), Elliott (#35), Ericsson (#38), D'Agostini (#41), Anisimov (#48), Franson (#50), Downie (#51), Parent (#53), Abdelkader (#55).

The new car smell isn't off of the '09 first rounders, so I'd expect a good chunk of those guys to replace the graduates.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 04:48 PM
  #94
bsmith14
Registered User
 
bsmith14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,071
vCash: 500
i was actually trying to take a stab at this the other night, i may be wayy off on some guys but this is my attempt, feel free to critque

1. filatov
2. markstrom
3. pietrangelo
4. karlsson
5. hodgson
6. wilson
7. eberle
8. kadri
9. ekman-larsson
10. bernier
11. subban
12. paajarvi-svensson
13. schenn
14. grachev
15. carlson
16. tedenby
17. pickard
18. kreider
19. backlund
20. couture
21. boychuk
22. schroeder
23. ennis
24. rodin
25. ellis
26. de haan
27. hickey
28. stepan
29. moore
30. blum

hm josefson, teubert, kristo


Last edited by bsmith14: 02-11-2010 at 04:49 PM. Reason: same guy twice!
bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 04:58 PM
  #95
dkny1121*
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
i was actually trying to take a stab at this the other night, i may be wayy off on some guys but this is my attempt, feel free to critque

1. filatov
2. markstrom
3. pietrangelo
4. karlsson
5. hodgson
6. wilson
7. eberle
8. kadri
9. ekman-larsson
10. bernier
11. subban
12. paajarvi-svensson
13. schenn
14. grachev
15. carlson
16. tedenby
17. pickard
18. kreider
19. backlund
20. couture
21. boychuk
22. schroeder
23. ennis
24. rodin
25. ellis
26. de haan
27. hickey
28. stepan
29. moore
30. blum

hm josefson, teubert, kristo
I will only comment on top 15.
Eberle, Piet, Mark all higher. MPS WAYYY higher (Lower then Kadri, seriously?) Kadri way lower, Filitov lower, Wilson lower. Karlsson is in the NHL. Hodgson yah about right due to injury.


Last edited by dkny1121*: 02-11-2010 at 05:06 PM.
dkny1121* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 05:00 PM
  #96
AmericanDream
Puck You
 
AmericanDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Fort Worth TX
Country: United States
Posts: 12,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
i was actually trying to take a stab at this the other night, i may be wayy off on some guys but this is my attempt, feel free to critque

1. filatov
2. markstrom
3. pietrangelo
4. karlsson
5. hodgson
6. wilson
7. eberle
8. kadri
9. ekman-larsson
10. bernier
11. subban
12. paajarvi-svensson
13. schenn
14. grachev
15. carlson
16. tedenby
17. pickard
18. kreider
19. backlund
20. couture
21. boychuk
22. schroeder
23. ennis
24. rodin
25. ellis
26. de haan
27. hickey
28. stepan
29. moore
30. blum

hm josefson, teubert, kristo


way to take a stab at it...I was thinking about throwing mine out there as well soon.
Filatov at #1?? I just can't see it. I think he holds somewhere around #5 honestly, too much shakyness with him at this point.

I also think Colin Wilson and Jordan Eberle will be in the top 5, imo.

no Brendan Smith or Karl Alzner??? Smith is probably the best dman in all of college hockey right now, he should crack top 30...and Alzner should be a top 20 player as well.

overall, great job! these lists are so hard to formulate, but I will take a stab at this in a little bit as well.


AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 06:04 PM
  #97
AmericanDream
Puck You
 
AmericanDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Fort Worth TX
Country: United States
Posts: 12,124
vCash: 500
I have rushed this list SOOOO BAD!!! I am sure I will get reamed for this list, but I will have to go over it again, as I am on limited time right now...

here is my top 35!!!!


1. Eberle- f
2. Wilson- f
3. Markstrom- g
4. Pietrangelo- d
5. Filatov- f
6. Paajarvi-Svensson- f
7. Karlsson - d (if still eligible)
8. Hodgson- f
9. Schenn- f
10. Carlson- d
11. Kadri- f
12. Subban- d
13. Ekman-Larsson- D
14. Grachev- f
15. Stepan- f
16. Schroeder- f
17. Alzner- d
18. Blum- d
19. B. Smith- d
20. Kreider- f
21. z. Boychuk- f
22. Shattenkirk- d
23. Mcdonagh- d
24. Couture- f
25. Tedenby- f
26. Eller- f
27. Bernier- g
28. Hickey- d
29. Morin- f
30. Colborne- f
31. Ansimov- f
32. Tangradi- f
33. Kristo- f
34. Ellis- d
35. Backlund- f

God this was tough....

Wilson and Eberle have been absolutely tearing up their respective leagues (AHL and WHL) and now Wilson is back up in the NHL. I may be high on these two kids, but they are awesome talents imo.

once again, sorry but I rushed this, I will look at it again later...I wanted to add De Haan, Pickard, Rodin, Moore, Stoa, etc..just didn't have the room.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 06:09 PM
  #98
Cermi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,006
vCash: 500
Except for the very top I know only the Rangers' prospects.

Grachev will fall down a bit. Many people had unrealistic expectations.

Anisimov - dunno, will he stay? He's played all games for the Rangers so far... Nevertheless he should not fall. He's proved he can play. Now he has to show he can improve.

McDonagh - I think he looks better than last, but other prospects improved as well so he'll stay where he is.

Stepan - after a tremendous performance at WJC his tock went up really fast and so far he's living up to the expections so he should be on the list.

Kreider - excellent since WJC, but I dont think he'll made top 50.

MDZ - if there can be players who play in NHL, then MDZ should (rather HAS TO!) crack the top 50.

Cermi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 06:23 PM
  #99
Brodeur
Registered User
 
Brodeur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 16,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cermi View Post
Except for the very top I know only the Rangers' prospects.

Grachev will fall down a bit. Many people had unrealistic expectations.

Anisimov - dunno, will he stay? He's played all games for the Rangers so far... Nevertheless he should not fall. He's proved he can play. Now he has to show he can improve.

McDonagh - I think he looks better than last, but other prospects improved as well so he'll stay where he is.

Stepan - after a tremendous performance at WJC his tock went up really fast and so far he's living up to the expections so he should be on the list.

Kreider - excellent since WJC, but I dont think he'll made top 50.

MDZ - if there can be players who play in NHL, then MDZ should (rather HAS TO!) crack the top 50.
Anisimov and Del Zotto probably weren't eligible since they were NHL regulars when the polling takes place (usually after the WJC). I'd expect Stepan and Kreider to be in the top 50. I think I saw on the Rangers board that one of writers gave a sneak peak to your top 10 list with Stepan at #1 and Kreider at #2.

The THN lists tend to be skewed towards the WJC as well, for better or worse (ie, Jani Rita comes to mind). Looking back at old top 50 lists is sometimes comical as well. With the latest Future Watch issues, THN also included their lists from 5 and 10 years before.....basically a reminder that the rankings are hardly conclusive.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 06:39 PM
  #100
Vdhawan89
Forgot About Drai
 
Vdhawan89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
I have rushed this list SOOOO BAD!!! I am sure I will get reamed for this list, but I will have to go over it again, as I am on limited time right now...

here is my top 35!!!!


1. Eberle- f
2. Wilson- f
3. Markstrom- g
4. Pietrangelo- d
5. Filatov- f
6. Paajarvi-Svensson- f
7. Karlsson - d (if still eligible)
8. Hodgson- f
9. Schenn- f
10. Carlson- d
11. Kadri- f
12. Subban- d
13. Ekman-Larsson- D
14. Grachev- f
15. Stepan- f
16. Schroeder- f
17. Alzner- d
18. Blum- d
19. B. Smith- d
20. Kreider- f
21. z. Boychuk- f
22. Shattenkirk- d
23. Mcdonagh- d
24. Couture- f
25. Tedenby- f
26. Eller- f
27. Bernier- g
28. Hickey- d
29. Morin- f
30. Colborne- f
31. Ansimov- f
32. Tangradi- f
33. Kristo- f
34. Ellis- d
35. Backlund- f

God this was tough....

Wilson and Eberle have been absolutely tearing up their respective leagues (AHL and WHL) and now Wilson is back up in the NHL. I may be high on these two kids, but they are awesome talents imo.

once again, sorry but I rushed this, I will look at it again later...I wanted to add De Haan, Pickard, Rodin, Moore, Stoa, etc..just didn't have the room.
Love this one

Vdhawan89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:00 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.