Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Darren Eliot on 590AM Toronto...bout Kovy

Closed Thread

Old
12-22-2009, 04:17 AM
Taxman

vCash: 500
Nothing has turned out well for this franchise ever so I am now fully expecting Kovalchuk to be on a different team next season. This truly, truly sucks.

Old
12-22-2009, 05:02 AM
Lux Aurumque*

I'm honestly at the point of "Just trade him already, so people can shut up about this."

If we trade Kovalchuk, we will have the money to re-sign players like Kubina and Afinogenov, plus add some valuable pieces for the future, and we'll have a shot at some good UFA's come July 1st. However, if we give Kovy $11M, we can forget about all of that.

Old
12-22-2009, 07:16 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

What I get out of this stupid comment...

Quote:
"Our position is different than his position right now," Waddell told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution before Monday night's game with Montreal. "Their position is fixed years with money and we have a different side of that.
...is that Wads was trying to phrase "they are asking for $11, and even I won't pay that" and failed. I can't believe the RDS rumor was right. I just hope that Dub has started to talk to teams about offers and we can get this done ASAP.

I will really be mad if he caves in for any more than $9. I believe my head will explode if we end up losing him for nothing.

EDIT: Vivlamore thinks it means this...

Quote:
I think what he means is that Kovy’s side wants the same fixed dollar amount for each of the deal. Thrashers may want a sliding scale.

Old
12-22-2009, 07:37 AM
hydromel

Quote:
EDIT: Vivlamore thinks it means this...

I think what he means is that Kovy’s side wants the same fixed dollar amount for each of the deal. Thrashers may want a sliding scale.
I think that Vivs interpretation is correct.

The Waddell interview is HERE and it does sound like Waddell is saying that they (Kovy) are looking for the same high dollar figure for each year of the contract. Interesting interview.

Also sounds like the rumors of a potential for relocation of the team was a problem for Kovy.

Old
12-22-2009, 08:37 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Most of that interview had good answers. Dub was saying that he wants to front load the contract so that we can pay guys like Kane, Bogo, Little, and Enstrom down the road. I guess Grossman and Kovy want it evened out across the term.

The sinking feeling I get from the interview is when Dub says that he might not trade him by the deadline if it goes south. I hope he was just saying that not to piss off Grossman...

Old
12-22-2009, 09:21 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

The two best quotes from D-Wad:

Quote:
"Can we afford him? The franchise can afford to pay him. The question always comes, depending on what the number is, is how much of the pie is left for the rest of the team. That's the biggest question. We've got some very good young players and we want to make sure we're positioned- when you're talking about a 10-12 year contract, you're not talking about next year and the year after. You've got to look at the next four, five and six years and make sure that with the young players that we have up and coming we're able to keep our team together. On the other side of it you don't replace these kinds of players. They don't come along too often. To say that you can replace him would be a stretch. I don't think I could sit here today and say that we could find any way to replace him, but we're not at that point and we're going to continue to try to move forward and do everything we can to get him signed."
Quote:
"It's an interesting question. I think the only ting that's going to bring our fans back is if we're a winning team. We went through it a couple years ago the year we won our division and the second half of the year I think we had 11 sellouts and we sold out the two playoff games we played, and we were winning. I think this city has proved that stars themselves aren't going to sell tickets. It's going to be what the team does on the ice. I think the bigger question is that we have to make sure that we're in a position to keep moving forward and winning hockey games."
The one that scares me:

Quote:
"I'm not there yet. We have to win here too. We've watched around the league what's happened the last few years. Some guys remain with their team throughout the year. we have many options. If we can't sign him a trade isn't the only option. we have other options."

Old
12-22-2009, 09:22 AM
The Sneak

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydromel View Post

Also sounds like the rumors of a potential for relocation of the team was a problem for Kovy.

Good Christ you people are loons. Where is THIS coming from?

I see a couple posts earlier that Ilya isn't producing for us. Umm, he's our leading scorer. He had a goal last night, +1, and 5 shots. He's scored at least 1 point in 7 consecutive and 9 of his last 10.

I see another person is going to be apopleptic if he signs for more than 9 or goes for nothing. Painting yourself into a rather small stroke filled corner, aren't you?

I understand you're frustrated but A large chunk of you are losing the plot. I don't know why I'm saying anything because I haven't laughed this much in weeks. Keep up the good work

Old
12-22-2009, 09:57 AM
GetPucksDeep

The problem is, the sliding scale contracts that teams are using with free agents give the team more cap flexibility. But these contracts are paying players small amounts in out years when that player may be retired, and these years are expected to be bought out. These contracts make sense for a 30 year old player, but not for a 26 or 27 year old player. I'm not sure why Waddell and the Thrashers thought they could do such a deal with Kovy.

Old
12-22-2009, 10:08 AM
hydromel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sneak View Post
Don't be a jack ass.

Your calling me a loon for paraphrasing a direct quote from Waddell?
How about you listen to or read the interview first. Oh wait, let me do some more work for you.....

Quote:
On what the factors impeding a contract signing are:

"The one thing we continue to keep telling people is this franchise is not going any place. Every time there's ever talk about a franchise moving we always get lumped in there- that we're going some place to another city. As we know, and our ownership has stated, we own the NBA team here along with the NHL team along with the arena. This franchise is not going any place, but we do get lumped in and it's a concern of a player that's going to sign a long term contract to remain with this franchise. He'd be signing that contract to stay here in Atlanta and not think we'd be going someplace else. There are those kinds of factors you have to deal with."

Old
12-22-2009, 10:11 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:

I see a couple posts earlier that Ilya isn't producing for us. Umm, he's our leading scorer. He had a goal last night, +1, and 5 shots. He's scored at least 1 point in 7 consecutive and 9 of his last 10.

I see another person is going to be apopleptic if he signs for more than 9 or goes for nothing. Painting yourself into a rather small stroke filled corner, aren't you?

I understand you're frustrated but A large chunk of you are losing the plot. I don't know why I'm saying anything because I haven't laughed this much in weeks. Keep up the good work
Again...Huh? Did you not hear the interview? Where is THIS coming from? Ummm....this:

EDIT: explained above.

...and on the "no more than $9 mil"...the quote on planning for the future above explains that quite clearly.

Are you being serious?

Old
12-22-2009, 11:03 AM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
As much as I am a fan of the KHL, I don't like what is going on here. Medvedev has been in close contact with Kovy, even visited him here recently. The move will definitely be political and most likely have nothing to do with the terms of the contract. Kovy is extremely patriotic to the national team and his home country and Medvedev is probably putting a lot of pressure on him. He is probably using that patriotic crap as a guilt or something to come home and play in the motherland...

Old
12-22-2009, 11:29 AM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

Kovy is too close to Malkin and Ovechkin to go to the KHL in his prime. He served as "mediator" between the other 2 at the All-star game last year, he brought in his "boys" Antropov and Afinogenov this year. If Kubina re-signs with Atlanta it will be because Kovy stays....if not, all we keep is a frustrated Antro with no other Euros.

He said he hasn't talked to Medvedev. Totally refuted that rumor. I doubt he would lie about talking or not talking to him. If Medvedev has spoken to Kovy, Medvedev would have bragged about it.

Kovy also constantly talks about loving to play in front of lots of fans. He's looking at ECHL type attendance in the KHL.

I think he has no interest in the KHL. Maybe when he's 40 like Jagr. So why burn bridges.

Besides, if he's worried about Atlanta folding, how would he feel about a whole league folding?

Last edited by ThrasherMinion: 12-22-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old
12-22-2009, 12:41 PM
The Sneak

re: relocation. Do you really believe that? If so, we have more worries than Ilya resigning. You know? it pays to think about things that are said.

It's posturing but the interesting study is the why.

If Ilya said it, and meant it, are the players hearing something we haven't? If not, that's simply a malicious swipe at the organization and the fans

Why is Waddell talking about it? Does he not influence the season ticket renewals and future free agents if he admits openly that there are concerns about the long term future of the franchise? If he said that to put Ilya in a poor light it was awfully short sighted.

Old
12-22-2009, 12:43 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

I am sure they could put a poison pill clause in the contract, allowing him to become a free agent upon any relocation of the franchise.....I am not saying it makes sense, but it could be done.

Old
12-22-2009, 12:47 PM
Johnny8242

Send a message via AIM to Johnny8242
I'm a huge Kovlachuk supporter but as of now I'm so sick of this I'm just saying trade him !

Old
12-22-2009, 12:47 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
re: relocation. Do you really believe that? If so, we have more worries than Ilya resigning. You know? it pays to think about things that are said.

If Ilya said it, and meant it, are the players hearing something we haven't? If not, that's simply a malicious swipe at the organization and the fans

Why is Waddell talking about it? Does he not influence the season ticket renewals and future free agents if he admits openly that there are concerns about the long term future of the franchise? If he said that to put Ilya in a poor light it was awfully short sighted.
I just think Kovy and his agent were/are concerned with the "Thrashers moving to Winnipeg/Quebec" media rumors which seem to sprout once every 2-3 months.

Why is Waddell talking about it? He was asked what is holding up talks and that is one of Kovy's concerns. Nothing more.

Old
12-22-2009, 12:59 PM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

I think Waddell was taking a swing at the Montreal media more than anything. If you listen to the link, the questions are asked in French accents.

Remember, when Kovy was out, he spoke about seeing the concerns of the management but he was convinced the team was going in the right direction and moved the talks forward to the $$$ part.

In some sense, I think the start of talks were actually put off for summer and fall because of Kovy waiting (with good reason) to see how the season started off. The negotiations have realistically only taken form since then. I still think Waddell expected some hometown discounts for letting Kovy shape the team and he is now having to retrace and scramble. It's up to the ownership, ******** that they are.....Joe Johnson already said he's not signing here during the season. I'm sure they low-balled him too.

Old
12-22-2009, 01:30 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

I'm sick of all this, i'm getting towards the point where i want him traded today.

Cant we just pay him a ton the first 2-3 years of a contract or so? Right now it might be the only way. I do not want him for anything over 10mil.. even 10 mil is questioning for me.

If he gets 10 mil he better be getting tons of cash in the first 3 years of the contract so it helps us out in the long run.

A realistic contract for him is 9 mil per for like 8 seasons.

Last edited by John Cena*: 12-22-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old
12-22-2009, 02:16 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Do you think that Kovalchuk wants quite a large portion of his money up front so that in his later years he can simply defect to the KHL and not leave much money on the table? I would certainly be hesitant to make that kind of deal if I were Atlanta.

Old
12-22-2009, 02:24 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Do you think that Kovalchuk wants quite a large portion of his money up front so that in his later years he can simply defect to the KHL and not leave much money on the table? I would certainly be hesitant to make that kind of deal if I were Atlanta.
It seems the opposite based on Waddell's quote. Waddell wants it front-loaded (probably so they can afford to pay the other players more when they are no longer on ELCs), while Ilya wants the term fixed (ie: X amount in year 1, and the same X amount in year 10).

Old
12-22-2009, 02:38 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

Kovalchuk is my favorite athlete of all time and i'd hate to see him go. But like i said, if he ain't going to help out the Thrashers than it's probably best for him to go somewhere else. We will always love you Ilya! No matter what!

Old
12-22-2009, 03:19 PM
hydromel

Quote:

Now those are better questions. I wondered too why he was bringing up such a supposed non-issue. Could be that:
1) It was a lame smokescreen to avoid answering what the real issues are.
2) It truly is one of the hundred issues of minutiae that get discussed, negotiated and written into contracts which no one around here really thinks about (or knows about) and is why it takes some time to get a deal done and not just 'x' years at 'y' dollars.

I think both probably apply here.

Old
12-22-2009, 04:26 PM
Thrashers

Trade him at the deadline and hope we get something for him. I just don't trust DW can get great market value for him.

Old
12-22-2009, 04:57 PM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

if we could rid ourselves of White and Hainsey, we could easily pay Kovy and the young guys when the time comes. AND keep Kubina for a couple of more years. Kulda could step in for Hainsey, he couldn't be any worse defensively.

We need to move Hainsey to Detroit since their defense is all hurting. They also have cap money. trade White with him or ship him to Nashville. I thought they were looking for "scoring" lol. Don't tell them what we know.

Closed Thread