Notices

Where Is Razor?

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2004, 11:25 AM
WBC8

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
I don't think we can absolve Raycroft totally of any fault here. If it were Shields, Hackett, Dafoe or Jon Casey for that matter we'd be all over them for the Perrault goal in game 5, and the Koivu goal in game 6. The play-offs are a different animal. When you team is leading 1-0, or you are down 1-0, you HAVE to find a way to come up big. One can argue that the first two goals in game 5 were softies, and the Koivu goal in game 6 was horrendous.

Now, that being said, after the third goal scored by the Habs in both games, Raycroft was sensational. Now, again, 3 goals in a play-off game is playing with fire, but the Bruins need to score some as well. We are once again a one line team, but shockingly, it's not the line we'd figure it to be.

Old
04-18-2004, 11:33 AM
The-Godfather

I think we should have put Potvin in in game 3, it would have given Raycroft some rest and then if we won any of the following games it would have been a series that Razor won....now its to late if you start Potvin it messes up Raycrofts confidence. Raycroft needs this win Monday to restore his confidence, and if we can make it to the next round Potvin should be put in in game 2.

Old
04-18-2004, 11:41 AM
Bruin_Ron

good call

Old
04-18-2004, 11:44 AM
DBL

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8
Now, that being said, after the third goal scored by the Habs in both games, Raycroft was sensational. Now, again, 3 goals in a play-off game is playing with fire, but the Bruins need to score some as well. We are once again a one line team, but shockingly, it's not the line we'd figure it to be.
That's what I've noticed about him all year. He usually lets in goals early but makes up for them later on, that's a huge reason why the team's record when trailing is damn good in the regular season. Too bad when your trailing in the playoffs it's different.

Raycroft has definitely looked off his game lately, not stopping the play around his net when he could is a definite no no. I am sure he's been told that a million times now though, he should have that stamped in his head for game 7. The pressure of game 7 on Raycroft is worrysome, I honestly don't know if he can do it. Yes he's strong mentally, but for this? That being said I go with Raycroft no doubt about it, putting Potvin in a game 7 just because of his experience and when he hasn't played at all in a while is more of a risk to me. Add to the fact if you lose with Potvin in, you got many more questions to be answering if you Sullivan.

Old
04-18-2004, 11:47 AM
MAINE-IAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowL
That's what I've noticed about him all year. He usually lets in goals early but makes up for them later on, that's a huge reason why the team's record when trailing is damn good in the regular season. Too bad when your trailing in the playoffs it's different.

Raycroft has definitely looked off his game lately, not stopping the play around his net when he could is a definite no no. I am sure he's been told that a million times now though, he should have that stamped in his head for game 7. The pressure of game 7 on Raycroft is worrysome, I honestly don't know if he can do it. Yes he's strong mentally, but for this? That being said I go with Raycroft no doubt about it, putting Potvin in a game 7 just because of his experience and when he hasn't played at all in a while is more of a risk to me. Add to the fact if you lose with Potvin in, you got many more questions to be answering if you Sullivan.
well said. i could'nt agree more.

Old
04-18-2004, 11:51 AM
Orange

Warning : this post is from the perspective of a habs fan.

Jesus, Raycroft is not at fault here. Your team as been playing brutal defense ! Nothing's changed since the 2002 oust. The B's transition game is seriously lacking ! Raycroft as been phenomenal so far. But the habs have been adapting. That's why Perreault and Kovalev are now on the top two lines. They are our two best players when it comes to high shots.

Raycroft now knows the habs are shooting high and it might be affecting his game. His footwork was not top notch last game. But please explain to my why it is that in the last 4 games, Montreal crashes the net much more often than Boston ? Raycroft is good, but he's no northern god from some forsaken mihtology ! He needs help and he's not getting it !

Old
04-18-2004, 11:51 AM
Wildbeliefs

It's funny how the Habs fans were discussing something similar a few games ago when Theo was stinkin' up the joint. There were a lot of "Let's play Garon" threads popping up.

In reality, I don't know how you can play your backup at this point in the playoffs... the way I see it, you live and die by your #1. We stuck with Theo, even though he sucked majorly for 4 games, and it's paying off. Sure Razor let in 8 goals in 2 games, but still, if you bench him now, I think you're going to destroy whatever's left of his confidence. And I don't know about you Boston fans, but it *really* looks to me like Razor's confidence is in freefall.

Bottom line is: Raycroft's good, don't give up on him. And if you guys lose the series on Monday, he really isn't the guy to blame for it...

Old
04-18-2004, 11:53 AM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowL

I'm not sure Theodore has ever played a game seven either, and I'd much rather be at home for it than the road.

I have no doubt that Raycroft CAN do it, it's just a matter of WILL he do it. IMO Potvin is not even an option in this game.

Raycroft will just need to chalk games 5 and 6 up as off nights. I think he will. The problem with the rest of our team is they seem to have long memories. They really need to wipe their minds clean and come out and do what they need to do. They HAVE to score within the first ten minutes. They need to bury an early chance, just like game 6, and Rayzor needs to make it hold up.

Old
04-18-2004, 11:58 AM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange

Jesus, Raycroft is not at fault here. Your team as been playing brutal defense ! Nothing's changed since the 2002 oust. The B's transition game is seriously lacking ! Raycroft as been phenomenal so far. But the habs have been adapting. That's why Perreault and Kovalev are now on the top two lines. They are our two best players when it comes to high shots.

Raycroft now knows the habs are shooting high and it might be affecting his game. His footwork was not top notch last game. But please explain to my why it is that in the last 4 games, Montreal crashes the net much more often than Boston ? Raycroft is good, but he's no northern god from some forsaken mihtology ! He needs help and he's not getting it !
The first two goals in game 5, and the Koivu goal in game 6 were totally Raycroft's fault IMO.....The Kovalev goal in game 5 is debateable, but it needed to be stopped.

The Bruins have stopped doing everything they did in the first four games. I don't know if it's confidence, are maybe they are afraid of the Habs speed back up the ice, or whatever, but they have gotten into these funks before. There is no tomorrow for the Bruins, and I think that will help them big time. They subconsciously knew game 5 and 6 were not *must* wins, although it would have been nice.

They have know dug themselves a big hole, with no margin for error, so we'll see how they respond.

Old
04-18-2004, 12:00 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
They have know dug themselves a big hole, with no margin for error, so we'll see how they respond.
the habs have no margin for error either. if we get the first goal, they are done. heck, they're done anyway IMO
time to send the smurfs back to their village

Old
04-18-2004, 12:02 PM
DBL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange

Actually I agree the defence is a huge problem also, and of course Raycroft isn't totally at fault. The cycling down low from the Habs is crazy, and it ain't from a lack of trying from the B's in trying to stop them, but positionally they must not be in the right spots because there running around like nuts. I have no clue how there going to stop that, but goals from the slot like the Saku one last night should not go in. That's one place where they should be covering big time, for Saku to score that is bad defensive coverage.

There is alot of question marks going into this game 7...

Old
04-18-2004, 12:06 PM
Bruin_Ron

Quote:
I'm not sure Theodore has ever played a game seven either, and I'd much rather be at home for it than the road.

I have no doubt that Raycroft CAN do it, it's just a matter of WILL he do it. IMO Potvin is not even an option in this game.
Great points, WBC. Yeah Rayzor's lacking experience. Sure he hasn't been great recently. But you know what? He's a cool goaltender. Playing in front of his home crowd will do wonders for him. One can only hope the rest of the team will show up. I expect them to, in which case Rayzor's efforts will not be in vain. He may actually get a lead to protect, instead of always being forced to make the saves that "keep us in the game."

There's a reason he won the 7th player award on home ice. There's a reason he was one of the top 5 goalies in the league. And there's a reason he will win the Calder. The crowd will be wild, the team will be inspired, and Rayzor will finially get the support he needs from his D and will get the cushion that helps a goalie stay focused.

It's not over yet - that's for sure. We've got the players to go the distance, they just need the heart.

Bring it!

Old
04-18-2004, 01:12 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Rookie Razor

... And Raycroft falls apart in the playoffs...

What the hell did I tell everyone? I'm sure I'm not the only one... But I was fought hard when I said that I was not confident having a rook going into the playoffs, and look what's happened. He has fallen apart mentally, and let in FAr too many soft goals.

He'll be better next series... Which will be in a couple of years.

Old
04-18-2004, 01:22 PM
MAINE-IAC

dont be so sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
the habs have no margin for error either. if we get the first goal, they are done. heck, they're done anyway IMO
time to send the smurfs back to their village
we got the first goal last night and it was the bruins who were done. not to be so negative nugs but this team has put me ( and the rest of us ) thru the ringer the past few springs and iam getting tired of there sorry act.

Old
04-18-2004, 01:34 PM
SuperUnknown

I think you're going overboard. Last game, Raycroft gave up one softie (Koivu's goal) and it was on a lateral movement from a nice pass that went through two Bruins players, something which is still not a routine save. Langdon's goal was a fluke one and Perreault's one was a perfect shot. For the Habs, Theo let in a terrible first goal. Take out both softies for each goaltender and it's still 2-1 for Montreal. So far, Theodore still allowed many more softies than Raycroft.

Old
04-18-2004, 01:43 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe

What the hell did I tell everyone? I'm sure I'm not the only one... But I was fought hard when I said that I was not confident having a rook going into the playoffs, and look what's happened. He has fallen apart mentally, and let in FAr too many soft goals.

Funny, but I must have missed this post after we went up 3 games to 1, behind and 18 save overtime performance from Razor.

Don't worry, I'll save a seat for you on the bandwagon bus that's headed to Philly after Monday night's game...

Old
04-18-2004, 01:55 PM
JOHNNY V

VIVA LA ST RAYCROFT

Old
04-18-2004, 02:00 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe

I would hardly put Raycroft in the top ten areas of concern. The kid, for the most part, has been superb. The past two games there were some iffy goals, but there was a lot more iffy defense and iffy forwards not doing their jobs. Raycroft has won us a couple games and kept us in the rest (besides the 5-1 loss).

Just because he has had a couple bad goals he is falling apart.....but I guess that is typical of the way this board thinks.

Old
04-18-2004, 02:24 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

I have no idea why we're laying blame to Raycroft. Razor has played one bad game in the playoffs,followed by an average game (game six) and we're all ready to ditch him in favor of Potvin.

What did Montreal do when they were down and out? Theodore was letting in soft goals left and right... but they stuck with him because he gives Montreal their best chance to win.

Razor IS NOT at fault....where is our team defense?? We're being beat in front of our own net to loose pucks...we're allowing way to many outnumbered chances, and the Habs late trailers are almost always wide open. How can you give fault to a goaltender who's made one game saving stop after another, only to be let down by your defense? We're leaving him out to dry... I don't understand why people are so quick to jump on our goalie when he's one of the reasons why we're here. He's bailed us out time after time again in the regular season AND the playoffs...it's time for the rest of the team to pitch in and not to loaf on their defensive coverages.

Old
04-18-2004, 02:33 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants
I have no idea why we're laying blame to Raycroft. Razor has played one bad game in the playoffs,followed by an average game (game six) and we're all ready to ditch him in favor of Potvin.

What did Montreal do when they were down and out? Theodore was letting in soft goals left and right... but they stuck with him because he gives Montreal their best chance to win.

Razor IS NOT at fault....where is our team defense?? We're being beat in front of our own net to loose pucks...we're allowing way to many outnumbered chances, and the Habs late trailers are almost always wide open. How can you give fault to a goaltender who's made one game saving stop after another, only to be let down by your defense? We're leaving him out to dry... I don't understand why people are so quick to jump on our goalie when he's one of the reasons why we're here. He's bailed us out time after time again in the regular season AND the playoffs...it's time for the rest of the team to pitch in and not to loaf on their defensive coverages.
Its because people who dont know how to watch the game with a critical eye will look for the easiest scapegoat. Usually the goalie, coach, or GM. It is an easy trend to spot.

Old
04-18-2004, 02:44 PM
justicex

You are hard on Raycroft, I think he played quite well during the playoff, at least better than Theo, most of the time.

I would blame your first line, but not the goalie.

Old
04-18-2004, 02:59 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by justicex
You are hard on Raycroft, I think he played quite well during the playoff, at least better than Theo, most of the time.

I would blame your first line, but not the goalie.
Agreed. Raycroft had a couple of bad goals this series...period. I think he's been far better than Theo, but that really doesn't matter right now.

Old
04-18-2004, 03:35 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz20
Its because people who dont know how to watch the game with a critical eye will look for the easiest scapegoat. Usually the goalie, coach, or GM. It is an easy trend to spot.
18 year old forwards and "soft" forwards like sammy also seem to be easy targets

Old
04-18-2004, 04:07 PM
neldogger

Not raycroft fault.

see jumdo line and sleger and mcgillis

can't blame 1 year players,for veteran not producing.

as simple as that.

nelson

Old
04-18-2004, 04:11 PM
neldogger

Also add gonchar.

hes slow for a puck moving defeneceman.

Closed Thread