HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PGT 12/21 Devils 4, Penguins 0 Brodeur breaks SO record

Old
12-22-2009, 08:44 AM
Hypernova

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Hypernova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
I took it to mean they thought we were trying to run up the score, but your interpretation makes sense too. After all, it is the Pittsburgh announcers.
I took it the same way, the Pen's announcers actually weren't too bad last night.

Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 08:57 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by britdevil View Post
Look at Patric Hornqvist. He's weird looking.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:19 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
I just saw it now on the replay. the ref should be ashamed of himself, Malkin was corkscrewing to the ice.... I mean, if he was the size of Gionta, but he's huge.
Malkin was clearly trying out for both the diving and figure skating team at the same time. Unfortunately he didn't get his timing right. He did a perfect triple axel but then did a belly flop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNCDevil View Post
Who is top 6 and who is bottom 6? I could probably place 2-3 in each category. The rest are toss-ups. There are no lines. It's just rolling machine of dooooom!
I kind of like that Lemaire can jumble the lines any way he wants to get offence or defence. Nobody looks out of place.

He puts out ZZ Bergfors if he wants a good cycling chance. Pandolfo-Niedermayer-Langenbrunner is our shutdown line sometimes, whereas Pandolfo-Niedermayer-Bergfors is a defensively responsible line that also gets offensive chances because of the skill of Bergfors. Rolston-Elias-Zharkov is a high energy line that creates chances off the forecheck. ZZ Pops is a top line that is defensively responsible, if he wants to match them against the opposing top line. Even Parise-McAmmond-Elias looks like a world beater line.

It's total madness, and only Lemaire knows what he is doing, but by God, it works!

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:29 AM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

I wanna see the Malikin dive!!!

njdevsfn95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:36 AM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
I'm forked

vCash: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevsfn95 View Post
I wanna see the Malikin dive!!!
it was GLORIOUS. Even the pens board was laughing and said it might surpass the Ovechkin dive last year... (whatever that was).

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:37 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
I just saw it now on the replay. the ref should be ashamed of himself, Malkin was corkscrewing to the ice
Quote:
Malkin was clearly trying out for both the diving and figure skating team at the same time. Unfortunately he didn't get his timing right. He did a perfect triple axel but then did a belly flop.

It's like I was saying the other day. The "diving" rule has basically been eliminated from the NHL rulebook without it being eliminated. It almost never gets called. And if you're not going to call THAT a dive, you may as well just scrap the rule. It looked like Malkin was shot with a large caliber sniper rifle.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:39 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
he was barely tugged on his right arm i believe, and he completely spun around the OPPOSITE way and fell down

Old
12-22-2009, 09:43 AM
JimEIV

What should not be lost in all of this (you know with the record setting night and all) is the Devils kicked the crap out of a healthy Pittsburgh team without a full roster of their own.

Make no mistake that was a measuring stick game for both teams and Pittsburgh flinched. Big time.

People will continue to say it doesn't mean anything until we win in the playoffs and I completely agree.

But what I am seeing this year is something that I haven't seen since before the lockout - That is goals coming from everywhere. Post lockout the Devils have largely relied on one sometimes two lines to produce, whether is was the EGG, or the Parise line recnetly or some other hodgepodge and that IMO has been the main culprit of our playoff woes.

But this this team is getting contribution from everywhere and Lemaire is not affraid to use every single person. Look at the minutes everyone is getting.

For the last 4 or 5 years our game plan was use our top line with a heavy dose of a checking line and bench the 4th line in the 3rd. No more. Balanced scoring attack and everyone playing responsible is a recipe for postseason success!!!

JimEIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:49 AM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

god, i hope so. in the meantime, this team sure is fun to watch!

onefatsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:23 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

I want to call attention to the shutout preserving play that Bergfors made last night.

Marty went to the top of the blue paint to challenge a shot from Gonchar, and got caught out of the net with the rebound loose behind him. Bergfors calmly stepped in and cleared it to the corner before the Penguins crashing the net could get to it. Great defensive play, he definitely earned some respect for his defensive game last night.

I think Lemaire is trying to foster his defensive game by putting him with Pandolfo and Niedermayer, and it looks like it's working. Bergfors's defensive play has improved tremendously since the beginning of the season. He really is becoming a good two way forward for us.

Old
12-22-2009, 11:37 AM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
I want to call attention to the shutout preserving play that Bergfors made last night.

Marty went to the top of the blue paint to challenge a shot from Gonchar, and got caught out of the net with the rebound loose behind him. Bergfors calmly stepped in and cleared it to the corner before the Penguins crashing the net could get to it. Great defensive play, he definitely earned some respect for his defensive game last night.

I think Lemaire is trying to foster his defensive game by putting him with Pandolfo and Niedermayer, and it looks like it's working. Bergfors's defensive play has improved tremendously since the beginning of the season. He really is becoming a good two way forward for us.
I think that's exactly the reason Bergfors has been with Pando and Nieds. Lemaire's forcing him to develop his game.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:43 AM
Stevens 4

Bergfors has been out at the end of games when we were protecting leads. Lemaire is putting him into defensive situations and it is really working. Hopefully soon he will get put back with a scoring line and he can be a great two-way player.

Stevens 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:48 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

So we're suddenly the pick du jour to be a Cup finalist on the main board. I'm not sure if I like that, the Devils usually do best when they fly under the radar and as a result teams underestimate them.

Old
12-22-2009, 11:50 AM
Stevens 4

It will be hard for the team to fly under the radar when their second half schedule is pretty favorable. Hopefully with Lemaire as coach he can end our top seed playoff woes.

Stevens 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 12:07 PM
Cowbell232

Quote:
So we're suddenly the pick du jour to be a Cup finalist on the main board. I'm not sure if I like that, the Devils usually do best when they fly under the radar and as a result teams underestimate them.
Saugus, the internet isn't a gauge of the NHL 'radar'. I'm sure their opponents know exactly how tough they are. This isn't the early 00's or 95 when we were an actual underdog.

Old
12-22-2009, 12:13 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
Saugus, the internet isn't a gauge of the NHL 'radar'. I'm sure their opponents know exactly how tough they are. This isn't the early 00's or 95 when we were an actual underdog.
Of course not, but the reason we're getting this recognition is because the Devils just spanked the second best team in the league to take the top spot outright. We don't tend to do well when we're at the top.

It obviously has no effect on the team's play what people on here say, I'm just mentioning it because I think it's a bad omen.

Old
12-22-2009, 12:25 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
I'm forked

vCash: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
it's more of a Billboard weekly top 40 if anything. Whoever's hot the past 2 weeks is the current favorite to win the cup.

Consistency is the key and so far we have been VERY consistent after the 2nd game of the season.

Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 12:26 PM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

As long as we don't defend our Hypothetical Cup crown, I'm all good

I was listening to the Pens radio on my way home (wasn't Lange, they weren't bad actually) and they mentioned Lemaire harping on bergfors' defensive game. I found it fitting that he made such an important, and barely noticed, play late in this game.

njdevsfn95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 12:32 PM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

btw, forgot to mention it before now, but...
<3 patty.
he's the man.
best player on the team (other than brodeur, obviously)
our team somehow became incredibly deep. love it!

onefatsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 12:49 PM
Dialamo
Nu Joyzee Dovals

Quote:
Originally Posted by britdevil View Post
Look at Patric Hornqvist. He's weird looking.

Dialamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 12:52 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialamo View Post

hahahahaha thats a ****ing spitting image

Old
12-22-2009, 01:03 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:

I saw this play differently. I think Bergfors wanted to clear it to the corner and semi-fanned on it, putting it directly under Brodeur's feet, who then cleared it into the corner with his goalie stick.

Although Chico saw it the way you did as well (so maybe it is I who is wrong).

Old
12-22-2009, 01:08 PM
Babycakes92689

marty to be on the 6pm ET sportscenter

Babycakes92689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 01:24 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babycakes92689 View Post
marty to be on the 6pm ET sportscenter
Who told ESPN about this?

Old
12-22-2009, 01:30 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Who told ESPN about this?
well, it's been on the front page of their website for about 19 hours.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote