HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stick No Man's Land

Old
04-30-2014, 07:49 PM
vb66
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Stick No Man's Land

Hi all,

I've read the forums for a while, but this is my first time posting. Before I jump in, a little background. I play hockey at a high level and I'm small at 5'1, ~115lbs.

Basically this makes stick selection for me very difficult. I'm between a junior and intermediate.

I've used mostly intermediate sticks for the past 4 years using a 60 flex cut down 4-5", making it very stiff. I get minimal flex on my stick when I shoot meaning my arms to all the the work and I don't get much out of my stick. I've used the APX, APX2, and Nexus, which were all great sticks, but my shots still weren't great because I can't flex the stick. I've also used the Warrior 55 Int in the Widow and Covert. I actually liked the Widow better and found I would get a bit more flex with these sticks than the Bauers.

I've tried Base sticks as well. They have what's called a "Jr. Pro" which is kind of an in between. I tried one of those in the Savoy (before they had the Supernatural and Nasty versions) and found it was decent but felt a little bottom heavy and clunky.

I've tried top end models of several Jr. sticks and find I shoot quite well with them, but taking a hard pass with the smaller blade is tough because it's shorter and flimsier than an Int blade.

It's just frustrating having to compromise my shot so much using an Int stick. I know my shot could be so much better with a Jr. but then that compromises catching passes and shooting off the pass.

I don't know if there's much I can do but thought I'd throw it out there if anyone had any suggestions. I'd love to hear any thoughts!

vb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2014, 08:22 PM
Onetimersniper28

Judging by your size, you must be really young (like 12 or 13, but correct me if I'm wrong). If that's the case, don't worry, just buy intermediate sticks and leave them uncut (or just cut 2" max). You'll be able to use them as your body grows. I had my first growth spurt around age 13-14. I went from 5'1 to 5'6 in a year. During this year, I moved from junior to intermediate sticks. In the following year (from 14 to 15), I grew up 3" and moved on to senior sticks.

Hope it helps.

Onetimersniper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 07:32 AM
vb66
Rookie User

No I'm not young, and not a male.... My growth spurt days are past!

Old
05-01-2014, 08:28 AM
Pog Form

Looks like Warrior has some intermediate sticks at 55 flex, which you've tried. Maybe trying that stick again while also cutting off a bit less than you're used to will make enough of a difference?

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 09:36 AM
Canadiens1958

Stick Lie

Experiment with the lie of your stick.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 03:13 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Do you live near a hockey store? It might be worth checking out the sticks in person to separate the good ones from bad, and to feel the flex in person.

I'm using a BASE Nasty right now and it's a good stick. I'm not sure that it competes with the $250 high end models from the big names, but definitely competes in the $175 range.

I have a 55 flex Warrior (I'm 5'7 and 200 pounds), and it's whippy for me. If that feels comfortable for you, you must have good strength!

But yeah, at your height, finding the whippiest intermediates might be the best option.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 07:36 PM
vb66
Rookie User

Of all the intermediates I've tried, the Warrior gives the most flex after it's cut down to my size. It's all relative though because when it's cut down to my size, it probably turns into closer to a 85-90 flex which sucks.

The Base I tried was the Savoy, and it doesn't have the feel of the higher end sticks to be sure, but it did have a nice flex to it. I'm wondering if the new Supernatural or Nasty would have better feels than the Savoy. I found it felt almost like a two piece. Has anyone tried both the Savoy and one of the newer Base models?

I'm also wondering whether experimenting with wooden plugs would allow me to get a bit more flex out of my sticks. I don't use any sort of plug (open end, illegal, whatever) in the end right now.

Old
05-02-2014, 07:52 AM
wils5150

is a junior stick to short? If so add a plug to give it a try. I am 5-5 and use a 65 flex int. stick . most senior sticks are to stiff for me when i cut them. what position do you play?

wils5150 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 08:33 AM
buddhaknows

At 5'1" 115 you are petite and 115 lbs surely isn't going to bend a 75+ flex stick. It sounds to me like you need a custom built stick. Are there any stick builders out there who can meet your specifications? Sounds like you need a short stick to match your height yet flexible enough so you can bend it and get off a speedier/quicker shot with a senior blade. If there are custom builders out there it would probably cost you a pretty penny to get a one off stick to match your exact specifications. Does Warrior build sticks like this or do they just throw flashy graphics on sticks that are already build. Contact Bauer and see if they'll build you something. It wouldn't hurt to ask.

buddhaknows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 09:19 AM
slovakia18
English? I can't.

here i am right.
Do anybody know which CCM Stick Grabner use in moment and what is his "Curve" and "Flex" Style?
Ty.
With Link wen possible!

slovakia18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 09:51 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb66 View Post
Of all the intermediates I've tried, the Warrior gives the most flex after it's cut down to my size. It's all relative though because when it's cut down to my size, it probably turns into closer to a 85-90 flex which sucks.

The Base I tried was the Savoy, and it doesn't have the feel of the higher end sticks to be sure, but it did have a nice flex to it. I'm wondering if the new Supernatural or Nasty would have better feels than the Savoy. I found it felt almost like a two piece. Has anyone tried both the Savoy and one of the newer Base models?

I'm also wondering whether experimenting with wooden plugs would allow me to get a bit more flex out of my sticks. I don't use any sort of plug (open end, illegal, whatever) in the end right now.
I haven't used a Savoy being playing with it in warmups, but the Nasty has good balance and puck feel. It doesn't have the awkward weight of a two piece.

Adding any length to the stick will make it feel whippier just due to physics.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 10:26 AM
forbs02
Blergh

How long are your sticks when you are in your skates?

You could try not cutting them quite as short. There would be an adjustment period, but it would give you some flex back. When I was in playing competitively I used sticks cut at my clavicle, now they are at my chin. I shoot much better now.

forbs02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 04:45 PM
Onetimersniper28

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb66 View Post
No I'm not young, and not a male.... My growth spurt days are past!
My apologies. However, I'm convinced that an uncut 55-60 flex int stick is perfect for you.

Old
05-02-2014, 06:54 PM
vb66
Rookie User

Some great suggestions guys! Here are my responses:

@wils5150 - I play forward, mostly centre. A Jr. stick, uncut is about the perfect height for me. I use my stick up to my nose. The only issue with jr. sticks are the blades. Everything else would be perfect.

@buddhaknows - I haven't inquired about custom sticks to any specific companies besides Base. I have spoken to a Bauer rep though and the lowest they could go was a 60 flex intermediate. But cut down to my nose it's too stiff. I may shoot Warrior an email. You're right, it won't hurt to ask.

@Jarick - I know adding a plug in addition to my current stick length would make it whippier, because it would be longer. I was talking about cutting my stick 3" shorter than normal and adding a plug to make it the original height I would normally use.

@forbes02 - My stick is cut to my nose on skates. Pretty long compared to the average stick I think. I used to go shorter but gradually lengthened out for more reach and flex.

@onetimesniper28 - No worries my friend. I have to cut the 55/60 or they're basically over my head in length.

Old
05-03-2014, 12:20 PM
wils5150

I dont even know if its possible but can you get a piece junior shaft/regular blade?

Old
05-03-2014, 12:45 PM
wils5150

saw a MISSION L2 JUNIOR HOCKEY STICK SHAFT on ebay says to fit a standard blade just filp it over. I also saw bauer jr shafts on pure hockey's website 50 flex with a .620 taper and senior blades with the same taper. so maybe that could work.

Old
05-03-2014, 01:06 PM
Onetimersniper28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wils5150 View Post
saw a MISSION L2 JUNIOR HOCKEY STICK SHAFT on ebay says to fit a standard blade just filp it over. I also saw bauer jr shafts on pure hockey's website 50 flex with a .620 taper and senior blades with the same taper. so maybe that could work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wils5150 View Post
I dont even know if its possible but can you get a piece junior shaft/regular blade?
This isn't possible. A senior blade won't fit in a junior shaft due to shaft dimensions. A Jr shaft with a .620 taper is narrower than a senior shaft with a .620 taper.

Even a .520 tapered senior blade won't fit in a .620 junior shaft.

I think a senior blade could fit at the other end of the shaft, but flipping the shaft over would place the kickpoint really high, above the bottom hand, which is not suitable for shooting.

Old
05-03-2014, 01:52 PM
wils5150

i was reading on another forum that graf has 55 flex intermediate sticks and some one said bauer's junior sticks have a standard size blade. dont know if its true but might be worth checking

Old
05-04-2014, 09:39 AM
Crosbyfan

Get a junior shat you like and find an insert wooden blade you like...not much choice in junior with large blades, but there are some...or if you find a intermediate or senior, carefully trim down the hosel until it fits, saving the glue to melt/use with the insert.

Will not work, generally speaking, with composite blades as too much of the strength is near the surfaces you will be trimming down.

A flexible Intermediate stick with a low kick point that is already fairly short might work (the stiffness numbers relate to the starting length, so the less you must cut off the better, though don't entirely trust the number...same with the lie...don't trust the number)

Good Luck

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 07:57 PM
vb66
Rookie User

Wils - Good call on the Graf sticks. I forgot to mention I've tried them. It was actually probably the best shaft I've used. They unfortunately have very weak/flimsy blades though that basically give out when you shoot. I can feel the shaft flexing and whipping but then the blade goes kapuff, and the shot knuckleballs. The Graf rep who gave me them said they'll look into it when I told him. Hopefully the next generation model will have better blade construction. It seems like they're on the right track.

Old
05-04-2014, 08:01 PM
Onetimersniper28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Experiment with the lie of your stick.
This is interesting. If you use the lowest lie you can find, you may not have to cut your stick.

Old
05-07-2014, 06:47 AM
LarryO

I would also recommend trying a lower lie considering how long your stick is. Maybe the heel is contacting the ice when you shoot. Tape wear on the heel of your blade might give you a hint about this. BASE has a few blade models that are available in a true 4-lie. And their intermediate shafts go down to 45-flex.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 08:43 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
I would also recommend trying a lower lie considering how long your stick is. Maybe the heel is contacting the ice when you shoot. Tape wear on the heel of your blade might give you a hint about this. BASE has a few blade models that are available in a true 4-lie. And their intermediate shafts go down to 45-flex.
I would strongly agree. BASE would be the best I think in your case. 45 flex intermediate!

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 03:20 PM
vb66
Rookie User

I have a Base in the 45 intermediate and did not like it at all. It was very clunky, had an odd kick point, and just didn't feel great. The Jr. Pro I have is much better.

I think I'm going to get another Jr. Pro 50 flex, but try the Nasty or SuperNatural instead of the Savoy. I'm hoping they have a better puck feel than the Savoy.