HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

LMHF Game Report #19

Old
12-22-2009, 12:26 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

vCash: 500
LMHF Game Report #19

EDMONTON 2

VS.

ST. LOUIS 7
-----------------

Does it really get any sadder than getting spanked by the second worst team in the conference? I guess they're not after the victory but they entered that way I believe.

What took place on that ice tonight was near-blasphemy, seeing an Oilers team play that badly was an amazing sight to be sure.

I swear that save for one sequence, in the second half of the game our "offence" consisted of the times we dumped the puck after finally getting it out of our zone and then heading off to change.

I honestly wish that tonight was the last game for Ethan Moreau. He should be traded, waived or benched immediately. It's bad enough that he's playing a selfish brand of hockey that would only be okay if he were a 60-goal scorer...but his display at the end of tonight's game was the last straw for me. He's clearly not interested anymore and only in it for himself. For a captain to behave that way was unbelievably pathetic. Get him away from the impressionable youngsters who might have a chance still. Ethan's done.

Poor Devan Dubnyk. To wait that long and get absolutely shelled when your parents have driven from far away to watch as well. Some of the goals were certainly his fault, and I'm not going to say that he put forth a particularly good effort, but you still can't help but feel bad for the guy. To have your first start go 7-2 the wrong way is certainly not what dreams are made of.

The one positive tonight I saw was the play of Denis Grebeshkov. He played 20 minutes, was a +1. Skated with the puck a bunch and made lots of plays both in the offensive zone on pinches (he was clearly told to be active early) and in his own zone (the physicality returned). These are great signs for us. I hope Denis can string together some positive games and get a real flow going. We need him to be good for the future to look as bright as it should.

Everyone else was bad in their own special way I suppose. Even our best reliable vets spent this game passing the puck away to the Blues and giving them all kinds of opportunity. I think this team is already playing out the string to be honest. I'm not sure why they bothered with the effort on the road if they were going to mail it in like this, but such is life. Penner gave the puck away a few times and couldn't get much done. Smid and Visnovsky both went behind the net at the same time leaving a man uncovered and St. Louis scored; they had one of their very few off nights and were way off. Even the dependable worker bees were pretty bad. Cogliano was atrocious. Horcoff gave the puck away time after time. Souray took an idiotic penalty (I'm becoming convinced he's totally disinterested).

Perhaps the worst thing on the ice tonight was the refereeing. This went both ways. The Oilers had too many men on the ice for a time twice (and the Blues once). At least 2 PPs the Oilers got were incredibly weak, as were 2 of their penalties against (lifting a stick with one hand is not hooking, nowhere in the rulebook either). The most obvious incident was one you had to have been at the game to understand. When Steve Staios whipped the puck into the stands and got away with it, the ref looked to his linesman, who should have of course been watching the play and he said, for everyone to hear "I have absolutely no idea". WOW. Just WOW. They were horrendous all night.

Brad Winchester looked oddly motivated...I wonder where that came from.

The Blues seem to be trying something in the form of team bonding much like what we tried with the HIGH fives in the 05-06 season. Might be working for them.

Where do we go from here? I'm not exactly sure. Watching a team this bad that's on the verge of giving up is not something I'm used to or in any way desirous of. I don't think high picks solve all your problems and I don't believe that the teams we wish to emulate are tankers. I think I'm going to focus on moving my game reports to audio and use the rest of the season to master that. Maybe by next season with a reloaded roster, I'll have something great to talk about.

Let me know what you think in terms of audio-only, audio/written, stick with written, any ideas whatever that might help make this season productive and better. I just don't see the hockey turning around when even your guys with heart are seeing the writing on the wall.

So many things could have gone right...and they've all gone rotten. O'Sullivan, Comrie, Souray, Moreau, Khabibulin, 6-2-1, Hemsky, I could go on...all we've got is Dustin Penner and Lubomir Visnovsky.

Marc-Andre Bergeron scored his 8th and 9th goals of the year to raise his point total to 19 in 31 games tonight for anyone who's interested. He scored the tying goal with about 130 left and the winner in OT. Even played some 4th line center the other night. Wouldn't it be great to have that kind of thing happen to someone on our team?

Jeez...

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 12:32 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

this is will not end well

bring up MAB will just cause EVERYONE to remind you he is horrible in his own zone

ZERO physical precence and a hit and miss player

this is his hit year after how MANY miss year

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 12:33 AM
Six in O6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post

bring up MAB will just cause EVERYONE to remind you he is horrible in his own zone

I like how this is the first response. Like you couldn't find anything else wrong with the game tonight.

Six in O6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 12:36 AM
HFPM

Send a message via MSN to HFPM
Audio in terms of an audio report?

I think podcasting might be a good idea.

HFPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 12:36 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post

Shark...in english please?

And yes, I would like a player or two that aren't way over-due to have a "hit" year for the Edmonton Oilers instead of "but we can't pick him up because he wasn't amazing last year" and "we can't resign him because he was too good" or "why take a chance on a player that didn't produce" or "he over-produced and won't beat his contract so we have to dump him".

Morons...(random rant just getting started).

There is no time to sign a player, re-sign a player, trade one or trade for one...I see what you did there....wait...what?!?!

Old
12-22-2009, 12:37 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyforpm View Post
Audio in terms of an audio report?

I think podcasting might be a good idea.
That's what I'm thinking. Seems like it'd be a lot of fun and I've actually done some very minor radio with #2 before.

Old
12-22-2009, 12:55 AM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
Souray's now playing his 2nd ****** season for us.

He's only been here for 3.

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 01:17 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Audio would be cool. Maybe a radio show with a sidekick? If it was good it would be wildly popular. I still enjoy the written report too.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 01:31 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Agreed that Souray has looked off since coming back.

Injury lingering?

Personal problems?

Just plain old Edmonton suck?

Wasn't he our HFcaptain?

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 01:51 AM
Other Little Mikey

From what he says in interviews, Souray seems to be the only guy pissed off about all the losing ... but then he goes out and plays completely selfish hockey and basically sucks. So I don't know.

Other Little Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 02:54 AM
kwanjie

I have to agree in regards to our "Captain" Ethan Moreau. The body language and his play tonight totally contradicts the C that he's wearing on his shoulder. I hope both the coaching staff and management took note of this and put some serious thought into getting rid of this guy.

As far as I can tell, Moreau brings nothing constructive to this team, he's a shadow of himself now. Works "Hard" sporatically and when he does it usually comes with an healthy dose of stupidity.

kwanjie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 06:30 AM
eastcoasteh

I missed the 3rd, what did Moreau do?

I'm so disillusioned with this team. They win 5 on the road and then come home and ***** the bed and lose 4 in a row. Just a bunch of sad sacks really. It's been the same thing for 3 years.

eastcoasteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 06:36 AM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Quote:
Does it really get any sadder than getting spanked by the second worst team in the conference?
Well, when you're the worst team in the conference, maybe it's to be expected.

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 06:54 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoasteh View Post
I missed the 3rd, what did Moreau do?
From the GDT, after I put forth the same query:

Quote:
Well, for the first two periods he was a completely invisible non-entity -- no hitting, no puck possession to speak of, no hard compete on the dump and chase. After the defensive coverage implodes and St. Louis is up by 6-2.... mid-way through the 3rd, Moreau gets checked hard (clean hit by T.J. Oshie of all people...I like that kid's game) and knocked on his ass. He trips up Oshie on the way up to his feet, and then cross checks him in the numbers, hard, drawing a penalty. Later on, after he's out of the box, he gets into it with Darryl Sydor...SYDOR, and fights him.
The Captain, Ethan Moreau!

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 06:56 AM
eastcoasteh

I will say, that I find our D pairings to be a bit whacked. I guess with Grebs coming back it messed some of the chemistry up or something. But our D looks horrible, especially in our own end. Just miscommunication and softness. Combine that with very average goaltending and we're doomed.

Bottom line, it's been groundhog day here for the past 3 years. I'm starting to lose patience.

eastcoasteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 10:44 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
Souray's now playing his 2nd ****** season for us.

He's only been here for 3.
I'm really not sure why he's having so much trouble this year other than maybe he's sick of the losing and the way some of his teammates play. He's not responding in the most productive fashion though.

Old
12-22-2009, 10:45 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Audio would be cool. Maybe a radio show with a sidekick? If it was good it would be wildly popular. I still enjoy the written report too.
I'm mid-level technical...we'll have to see if this could be practically pulled off, but it's definitely a thought that's been kicked around for a while now.

Old
12-22-2009, 10:46 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwanjie View Post
I have to agree in regards to our "Captain" Ethan Moreau. The body language and his play tonight totally contradicts the C that he's wearing on his shoulder. I hope both the coaching staff and management took note of this and put some serious thought into getting rid of this guy.

As far as I can tell, Moreau brings nothing constructive to this team, he's a shadow of himself now. Works "Hard" sporatically and when he does it usually comes with an healthy dose of stupidity.
I'm actually quite pissed Quinn let him back out on the ice after his initial spat.

But yeah...way to fight Sydor...way to go "captain"...

Old
12-22-2009, 10:47 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Torch View Post
Well, when you're the worst team in the conference, maybe it's to be expected.
I could see losing, but didn't expect to get whacked 7-2 at home.

What if we'd played like that against Washington???

Old
12-22-2009, 10:49 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoasteh View Post
I will say, that I find our D pairings to be a bit whacked. I guess with Grebs coming back it messed some of the chemistry up or something. But our D looks horrible, especially in our own end. Just miscommunication and softness. Combine that with very average goaltending and we're doomed.

Bottom line, it's been groundhog day here for the past 3 years. I'm starting to lose patience.
I'm really not sure how much is the D and how much is how bad the forwards are. Staios was inexplicably shooting the puck out of our end every time he got it, so he was a turnover machine, but the rest were okay once they had the puck. The forwards were BAD with it though. Ryan Stone for one turned the puck over more times in this game probably than several others combined.

Old
12-22-2009, 10:54 AM
Ghostbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 View Post
I could see losing, but didn't expect to get whacked 7-2 at home.

What if we'd played like that against Washington???
We did, for only 1 period though.

Ghostbuster is offline   Reply With Quote