HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Want a #1 centre?

Old
12-22-2009, 10:35 AM
NoLocus*

vCash: 500
I'd rather make moves to get Seguin.

NoLocus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 10:37 AM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskysuncle View Post
although it is Garrioch
'nuff said.

/thread

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 10:39 AM
Live Breathe Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
But why include Cogliano at all? Why not O'Sullivan?
it was mentioned that it would be O'Sully, Cog, Gilbert / Carter, Carle

that's what i was referring to, and that would be fine in my eyes

Live Breathe Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 10:41 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live Breathe Hockey View Post
it was mentioned that it would be O'Sully, Cog, Gilbert / Carter, Carle

that's what i was referring to, and that would be fine in my eyes
Why in the world would Philly do that deal?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 10:48 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskysuncle View Post
based on what is speculated, MTL offered only Halak for Carter...so it is not like he is up there in value either.

I would say that with Cogliano in the deal, O'sullivan might be enough. And it works witih cap issues as well...Gagner 1 for 1 is not goign to work...you add 4 million (about) in that deal, and the Oielrs only have something like .5 mill.

Gilbert + could do it, but for me, not if the plus is Cogliano. I really don't think these player's stock is so volatile in the GM's eyes as it is in the fan's eyes...on a 5 game win streak, Cogliano's stock could skyrocket on this board...during a 4 game losing streak, he isn't even worth a 4th rounder.
That is why the trade never happened. I thought it was Halak for Giroux? Gainey came out after and kinda mentioned how he only got a 2nd for Huet and referred to other goalie signings and trades. He pretty much admitted he was getting a top 6 for Halak.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 10:59 AM
nsoilfan

Quote:
that is true, but when you're adding a carter for him its a great idea

whoever gets the best player in the deal wins the trade, carter is clearly the best player that is being proposed out in these "make believe proposals" so that would mean the oilers would win

and if you need any proof... Thornton, Heatley, Boyle
who do they all play for?
makes ya think

nsoilfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 10:59 AM
JustinCider

Quote:
They wouldn't. If the Oilers want Carter, it would have to be something like...

Gagner, MPS, Gilbert for Carter, Parent.

JustinCider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:04 AM
Eytinge

I would do Gagner,Eberle and Staois for Carter and a 2nd.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:05 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWAvs View Post
I'm an Avs fan but I was wondering why you guys offer up Cogliano in every single trade?
with Brule gagner a head of him---he will be under used with the oilers

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:10 AM
nsoilfan

all right they can have horcoff and moreau for carter.

and if that isnt enough throw in staios

Old
12-22-2009, 11:11 AM
Live Breathe Hockey

Quote:
didn't say they would, just in conversation on the thread as per the OP's comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsoilfan View Post
who do they all play for?
makes ya think
San Hose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
I would do Gagner,Eberle and Staois for Carter and a 2nd.
I wouldn't, why would you want to give up Gagner AND Eberle? I think those 2 pieces will be big for the Oilers going forward, we're not winning any time soon, i'd rather keep those pieces vs trade them off for a guy who's already 24 and won't help this team with its supporting cast make the PO's any time soon.

Old
12-22-2009, 11:17 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
didn't say they would, just in conversation on the thread as per the OP's comments

San Hose

I wouldn't, why would you want to give up Gagner AND Eberle? I think those 2 pieces will be big for the Oilers going forward, we're not winning any time soon, i'd rather keep those pieces vs trade them off for a guy who's already 24 and won't help this team with its supporting cast make the PO's any time soon.
Already 24? Not saying we should trade for Carter, but there is nothing wrong with building your team around a solid two-way player who is 24.

Old
12-22-2009, 11:21 AM
nsoilfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Already 24? Not saying we should trade for Carter, but there is nothing wrong with building your team around a solid two-way player who is 24.
i would trade gags for carter.....why not. we need a # one center....carter is an up grade. if we get carter it bumps gags down...we arnt trading horcoff any time soon. that puts him at # 3 either that or we are paying our # 3 (horcoff 5.5m cap it.)

Old
12-22-2009, 11:22 AM
Eytinge

Gagner will likely never be as good as Carter, and I like Carter's size and the fact that he is a shooter and is only payed 5 million.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:25 AM
Sayuri

Quote:

San Hose

Exactly. In no way should any deal involve both of these players. Maybe one depending on what's going down but not both. I would love to keep Eberle and see what he's made of, he's talented and seems to have the heart that a lot of our players are lacking right now. That and he was excited to get drafted by the Oilers, I think we should hang on to him.

From the sounds of it Carter could be had for less than what most people think right now. I like his game, he's got size, good speed and decent hands. I'd have to take a closer look at Philly's position in terms of roster and money to have any idea what kind of a proposal might be realistic though. I'll leave the speculating to the other brains on here.

Sayuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:26 AM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
i think carter is a pipe dream. He was 2nd in the NHL last year with 46 goals and he is a 6'3" 24 year old.
i agree 100% with this (that said id want nothing to do with Drury). people here are talking about Carter like hes just some push over to get in a trade for a bunch of midgets. why would Philly trade away a 46 goal scorer for midgets who cant do squat shift to shift in the NHL? seriously. Carter is a threat to score every shift. he has speed, hands, a wicked wrister, can score short handed, 52% in the dot...

Cogliano, O'Sullivan or Gagner helps their team how?

Gagne (when not dead) - Richards - Briere
Hartnell - Giroux - van Riemsdyk
O'Sullivan - Cogliano - Laperriere
Carcillo - Pyorala -Asham

just makes no sense. even swapping Gagner in there doesnt make them that much more appealing.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:27 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsoilfan View Post
i would trade gags for carter.....why not. we need a # one center....carter is an up grade. if we get carter it bumps gags down...we arnt trading horcoff any time soon. that puts him at # 3 either that or we are paying our # 3 (horcoff 5.5m cap it.)
I'd probably trade Gagner and one of Eberle/MPS and a salary dump player to get Carter. He would be a good fit with Hemsky.

Previous post was more to reflect and 24 year old that plays a solid two-way game and why we shouldn't discount someone like that. It could be Carter or it could be another person.

Old
12-22-2009, 11:29 AM
Live Breathe Hockey

Quote:
I would agree with you, but Carter isn't a Crosby to build around, we don't have good enough pieces on this team to build around 1 cornerstone player, and Carter isn't that cornerstone.

If there is some way in hell you can get Carter and Horton to go along with Penner and a healthy Hemsky, now you're talking... but thats near impossible, or T-Lo would have to get very creative, which would probably include mortgaging the future, and I would be all for it if it was done correctly to get us back to the PO's, but if we've learned anything from this management team over the last decade... they don't do much right

Old
12-22-2009, 11:30 AM
FunkyChicken

I'd much rather have Carter than Staal or Lecavier. Firstly because at $5M, his salary is quite reasonable and managable compaired to the other two. Secondly, like Staal, he's just entering the prime of his career. Finally, he's the one shot scorer that Hemsky needs to feed.

Problem is that you don't acquire 46 goal scorer with reasonable contracts for junk. I'd say you have to give Penner plus, but then Philly already has Hartnell and Gagne on the left side so they probably don't need him. Otherwise you're probably looking at giving up Gagner, Cogs and a 1st (potential lottery pick) for him.

FunkyChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:30 AM
oil country 83

The flyers need a goalie I believe are we willing to give up jdd cause that where this conversation will start. O sullivan,gilbert & jdd for carter & emery.Then in the summer we evaluate goalies.

oil country 83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:32 AM
Live Breathe Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
i agree 100% with this (that said id want nothing to do with Drury). people here are talking about Carter like hes just some push over to get in a trade for a bunch of midgets. why would Philly trade away a 46 goal scorer for midgets who cant do squat shift to shift in the NHL? seriously. Carter is a threat to score every shift. he has speed, hands, a wicked wrister, can score short handed, 52% in the dot...

Cogliano, O'Sullivan or Gagner helps their team how?

Gagne (when not dead) - Richards - Briere
Hartnell - Giroux - van Riemsdyk
O'Sullivan - Cogliano - Laperriere
Carcillo - Pyorala -Asham

just makes no sense. even swapping Gagner in there doesnt make them that much more appealing.

I agree, not much makes sense from PHI standpoint to move Carter. But if Heatley can be moved because of dressing room issues, I'm sure so can Carter.

Old
12-22-2009, 11:34 AM
Live Breathe Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil country 83 View Post
The flyers need a goalie I believe are we willing to give up jdd cause that where this conversation will start. O sullivan,gilbert & jdd for carter & emery.Then in the summer we evaluate goalies.
how about Khabi + Osully / Carter... pipe dream, i know i know... but its my dream, haha

Old
12-22-2009, 11:38 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
I would agree with you, but Carter isn't a Crosby to build around, we don't have good enough pieces on this team to build around 1 cornerstone player, and Carter isn't that cornerstone.

If there is some way in hell you can get Carter and Horton to go along with Penner and a healthy Hemsky, now you're talking... but thats near impossible, or T-Lo would have to get very creative, which would probably include mortgaging the future, and I would be all for it if it was done correctly to get us back to the PO's, but if we've learned anything from this management team over the last decade... they don't do much right
We are never going to get a Crosby to build around and hoping for Hall or Seguin isn't exactly the answer either. Carter may not be someone you build around, but not every team has this ability. If we have Carter and Hemsky that would be a very good start.

Old
12-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Hunt4Oil

All of these proposals yet there are no trades in the NHL anymore.

Hunt4Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Live Breathe Hockey

Quote:
We are never going to get a Crosby to build around and hoping for Hall or Seguin isn't exactly the answer either. Carter may not be someone you build around, but not every team has this ability. If we have Carter and Hemsky that would be a very good start.
well that was the thought with Penner and Hemsky... Then Penner Hemsky and Cole... Then Penner Hemsky and OSully... Oh and the failed Lupul and Hemsky... lets face it, hemsky is just an add on to this team, he can't be a top 2, he's a good #3. This team is missing a lot of pieces, problem is, we got zero cap room.

we're stuck between a rock and a hard place, we're best to let the contracts expire and draft draft draft