HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Hockey News thoughts on trades in the Eastern Conference...

Old
12-22-2009, 08:55 AM
NJDFAN

vCash: 500
The Hockey News thoughts on trades in the Eastern Conference...

I don't see this happening do you?

New Jersey Devils: Paul Martin. Devils GM Lou Lamoriello will retain Martin once he returns from injury, but he’s eligible for UFA status in July and the team has played well in his absence. If Martin has value on the trade market as the March deadline approaches, he’ll be moved.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...rade-bait.html

NJDFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 08:56 AM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
THN has become an embarrassment of a production. This is sheer nonsense.

Especially when you consider NJ's history with pending UFAs.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 08:57 AM
Devilswede

They obviously missed the part about where we rank right now. They think we're in 1st place from behind. And they also forgot that Lou is the GM.

Devilswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BenedictGomez
1st 2say Fire DeBoer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
THN has become an embarrassment of a production. This is sheer nonsense.
I've said for well over a year now I think it's 50:50 Martin signs with the Wild (just a bizarre ESP hunch). Wont shock me in the least bit if he leaves NJ.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
i will bet my life that Paul Martin is not traded.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
openicehit04

I don't know, Martin was without a doubt our #1 and the only guy who could really play almost 30:00 come playoff time. BUt the team has played well without him.

I say Lou keeps Martin for a healthy playoff run.. then lets him sign with another team. Ala Rafalski, Gomez, Holik, Mogilny

openicehit04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 08:59 AM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by openicehit04 View Post
I don't know, Martin was without a doubt our #1 and the only guy who could really play almost 30:00 come playoff time. BUt the team has played well without him.

I say Lou keeps Martin for a healthy playoff run.. then lets him sign with another team. Ala Rafalski, Gomez, Holik, Mogilny
I bet you this doesn't happen. Just because a team can play well without their best defenseman doesn't mean they just let him walk, not when he can be retained at a reasonable price. As long as Martin doesn't ask for a huge raise he will continue to be a Devil. His current salary is $4.5M. Anything less than $5.5M and he stays a Devil.

Old
12-22-2009, 09:00 AM
Foy

It's the Hockey News. If Adam Proteau didn't write it, it's not worth it's weight in toilet paper.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:07 AM
BenedictGomez
1st 2say Fire DeBoer

Quote:
As long as Martin doesn't ask for a huge raise he will continue to be a Devil. His current salary is $4.5M. Anything less than $5.5M and he stays a Devil.
I agree $5.5M might be Lou's ceiling (maybe $6M), but I think it's likely some GM will throw a ZOMG! $6.5M or $7M salary Martin's way.

Old
12-22-2009, 09:12 AM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilswede View Post
They obviously missed the part about where we rank right now. They think we're in 1st place from behind. And they also forgot that Lou is the GM.
I haven't read it but it is obvious that this is a lazy piece where they just go by who is an upcoming UFA.

When you are a contending team (and first in the league at Christmas is a contending team) you don't trade away top players, even if they are pending FA. Most top teams look to add those rental type players so they sure aren't going to trade theirs away. The only teams that trade pending UFA's are teams out of it and going no where.

jkrdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:16 AM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
Devils defense.

vCash: 802
Oduya would be moved before Martin.

Funniest moment of morning was Jaromir Jagr trying to get @KenDaneykoMSG to say, "Ruutu to Tootoo, 2-on-1" quickly.
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:18 AM
BenedictGomez
1st 2say Fire DeBoer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrdevil View Post
The only teams that trade pending UFA's are teams out of it and going no where.
The only way this article would seem to possibly make any sense to me is if Lou was informed by the Martin campe that Martin wasnt interested in resigning with the Devils.

Old
12-22-2009, 09:28 AM
JimEIV

Quote:
If Martin has value on the trade market
I love those hedge-your-bet statements from professional writers.

That is something Larry Brooks has made a career of. The recipe: Begin with a fabricated premise, write something in the “suppose” context, and leave yourself and out when none of it comes to fruition.

Like Martin will have no value on the trade market. Jeeez

That is just poor craftsmanship!

JimEIV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:39 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
I agree $5.5M might be Lou's ceiling (maybe $6M), but I think it's likely some GM will throw a ZOMG! $6.5M or $7M salary Martin's way.
That's why it's imperative that Martin never makes it to the market on July 1. As soon as the Draft is done, Lou's first call is to Martin's agent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
Oduya would be moved before Martin.
Agreed. He's signed to a longer deal, which gives him more value in a trade, and he's more expendable to the Devils. I have no problem with moving Oduya for the right return.

Quote:
The only way this article would seem to possibly make any sense to me is if Lou was informed by the Martin campe that Martin wasnt interested in resigning with the Devils.
You know how Lou is with information. Like a vault. There's no chance some putz at the Hockey News has gotten an inside scoop on this. I suspect they're talking out of their ass.

Edit: Looking at this, it's written by Spector. He usually knows what he's talking about, but in this case he's very mistaken.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:41 AM
BrodeursCups
Zajac flat out sucks

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Quote:
If someone throws 7mill at martin (should it get to that point) then it's time to say goodbye. Dude's good, but not 7mill good.

BrodeursCups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:45 AM
Mr.Krinkle
Pod 6 is Jerks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeursCups View Post
If someone throws 7mill at martin (should it get to that point) then it's time to say goodbye. Dude's good, but not 7mill good.
Which is why if Lou wants to keep him, should get him signed long term before UFA hits. The market for UFA d-men is so overpriced right now it's ridiculous. Especially for a guy like Martin since he can handle the puck well and every year every around the trade dealine or start of UFA, all you hear is teams looking for that elusive "puck moving d-man". Biggest cliche in the league right now.

Mr.Krinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 10:54 AM
severian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeursCups View Post
Ask Blackhawk fans how they feel about having Campbell at a $7.1 mill cap hit. Some team will feel the same way about Martin after he gets his 5 year $30 mill deal from some idiot GM.

severian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 10:55 AM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyelias View Post
Ask Blackhawk fans how they feel about having Campbell at a $7.1 mill cap hit. Some team will feel the same way about Martin after he gets his 5 year $30 mill deal from some idiot GM.
I don't think it'll happen. Martin doesn't produce enough points and he's coming off a season where he'll miss a considerable number of games.

Old
12-22-2009, 10:57 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
I don't think it'll happen. Martin doesn't produce enough points and he's coming off a season where he'll miss a considerable number of games.
That's why I'm kind of glad that he keeps missing games. It hasn't hurt the team yet, and his extended absence is lowering his re-signing value. No wonder Lou isn't rushing him back.

Old
12-22-2009, 10:59 AM
ZadorovNJD*
go away fatso

Even if Lou was sure that Martin would leave he wouldn't trade him. You're not going to get an equally skilled defenceman back. And if you do, he would only have a couple months to get acclimated to the Devils for a playoff run. Everyone knew Gomez would chase the biggest payday on July 1st, but Lou kept him because he knew having him in the playoffs was more valuable than whatever assets we might have acquired.

ZadorovNJD* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:02 AM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by openicehit04 View Post

You need every good defenseman you have come playoff time.

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:15 AM
PacManNJD
Let's get clever.

Quote:
Sather?

PacManNJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:25 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmanghostx View Post
Sather?
Wouldn't surprise me in the least. Don't know where he'd find the cap space though, unless he actually does manage to dump Roszival or Redden.

Old
12-22-2009, 11:33 AM
Cowbell232

There's two things here that people don't realize/think about.

1) Sometimes not trading away a pending UFA is the best deadline deal. We KNEW Gomez wasn't resigning with the Devils. Did we trade him away? No, because what we would get wouldn't improve our Cup run. Could we have? Absolutely. But we paid nothing for a rental. That's the best deal in hockey.

Even if they KNOW Martin isn't resigning here, him staying for a playoff run is better then whatever we would get for him. You're not giving up any assets for a rental. If we go after Scotty Nieds for example, we'll give something up for a rental.

2) Martin is the shyest person I've ever met. There is close to no chance he wants to move. He can live his life in total anonymity here. Once he leaves the rink, he can do whatever he pleases without people bothering him much. This is one of the few 'winning' markets that offers that. Sure, people put up with a lot of crap from Camp Lou, but isn't that worth it in the end to live a normal life with your family?

Old
12-22-2009, 02:07 PM
Devilman3030

I have tryed many times to give the hockey news any jsutice but they are so biasis. Every thing i read an article on NJD its a joke. Mark Everson of the NY Post is not even as bad as them

Devilman3030 is offline   Reply With Quote