HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Pitkanen, Bouwmeester, or Whitney

View Poll Results: Would you rather have Pitkanen, Bouwmeester, or Whitney?
Joni Pitkanen 72 49.32%
Jay Bouwmeester 68 46.58%
Ryan Whitney 6 4.11%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2004, 11:38 PM
ohlund2.2

vCash: 500
Pitkanen has proven himself a helluva lot more imo.

Old
04-19-2004, 12:06 AM
DJ Spinoza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful
In a few years is the key word.

Bouwmeester and Pitkanen already are...
Right. I'm stating I'd rather have Whitney because I think he has the most potential. It's a question as to whether he will reach it or not, but I think he will.

Old
04-19-2004, 01:07 AM
diablo

Bouwmeester

Old
04-19-2004, 02:28 AM
evman150*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnowNothing
Right. I'm stating I'd rather have Whitney because I think he has the most potential. It's a question as to whether he will reach it or not, but I think he will.
I think your name says it all.

The fact that out of 64 people voting, only you have voted for Whitney has GOT to say something to you.

This is like comparing Nash and Kovalchuk to Ryan Kesler or Eric Nystrom. Just brutal.

Bouwmeester, by the way.

Old
04-19-2004, 02:38 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
This is roughly equivalent to picking Alexander Svitov in a Kovalchuk vs. Spezza vs. Svitov poll, claiming that Svitov has the most potential out of the three.

Old
04-19-2004, 05:11 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurminen31
Is he better offensively or defensively?
I'm not quite sure what you are asking.

Quote:
Pitkanen put up 27 points in 71 games(rookie season)
J-Bo put up 20 points in 61 games sophmore season

Pitkanen seams to be better offensively averaging more points per game than Bouwmeester. Pitkanen is also a great PP QB
It's really quite hard to compare their numbers at this time. Which teams PP play scored more points? Which is the better team overall? These things will of course affect the outcome of the numbers game.

Old
04-19-2004, 11:05 AM
Ric Flair

Send a message via AIM to Ric Flair Send a message via MSN to Ric Flair Send a message via Yahoo to Ric Flair
Bouwmeester

Old
04-19-2004, 11:09 AM
Steve Latin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon
This is roughly equivalent to picking Alexander Svitov in a Kovalchuk vs. Spezza vs. Svitov poll, claiming that Svitov has the most potential out of the three.
To say that Bouwmeester or Pitkanen have done *anything* to approach Kovalchuk's impact is pure bull. Both these guys are HIGHLY overrated at this point in their career -- let's at least wait until they're 21.

S L

Old
04-19-2004, 11:50 AM
chriss_co

Bouwmeester still has the potential to become an amazing defenseman but playing in Florida seems to have hurt him a bit.. they need better veteran defensemen on that team to help teach Bouwmeester (Odelein doesn't cut it)..

Pitkanen is blessed with playing on a very good team. This is why he has more points than Bouwmeester. It also helps that there are a ton of vets to teach him little things in the game.

Bouwmeester still has more potential than Pitkanen although currently Pitkanen has showed more promise. However, the poll asks who I'd rather have and the answer is BOUWMEESTER.

Old
04-19-2004, 11:53 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by evman150
I think your name says it all.

The fact that out of 64 people voting, only you have voted for Whitney has GOT to say something to you.

This is like comparing Nash and Kovalchuk to Ryan Kesler or Eric Nystrom. Just brutal.

Bouwmeester, by the way.
I wouldn't go that far.

Whitney would have been the second best defenseman in last year's draft if you ask me. He's a very good defenseman, a top 10 talent...but still isn't on the same level as Bouwmeester & Pitkanen.

Old
04-19-2004, 11:53 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriss_co
Bouwmeester still has the potential to become an amazing defenseman but playing in Florida seems to have hurt him a bit.. they need better veteran defensemen on that team to help teach Bouwmeester (Odelein doesn't cut it)..

Pitkanen is blessed with playing on a very good team. This is why he has more points than Bouwmeester. It also helps that there are a ton of vets to teach him little things in the game.

Bouwmeester still has more potential than Pitkanen although currently Pitkanen has showed more promise. However, the poll asks who I'd rather have and the answer is BOUWMEESTER.
That is exactly what I have been saying all season.

Old
04-19-2004, 05:19 PM
Liquidrage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongofan
That is exactly what I have been saying all season.
And your wrong. For the same reason you were wrong before.
1st of all, the Flyers system isn't one that typically lends points to defensemen. It's why despite having many good defensmen they typically have few points.

Johnsson is the exception. He has a green light to do what he sees fit. But he's also in his prime and one of the most talented defensemen in the game right now.

If Bouwmeester wants to take a risk and try to make a play he can.
Pitkanen can't. If Pitkanen takes a risk and it backfires, he sits.
Bouwmeester just plays on.

You can argue who you like more all you want.
But to argue Pitkanen benefites from his system is rediculous.
The *system* he's in gives him allmost no minutes and very little freedom to create. He has to play defense 1st and thats that.

It's a lot easier to put up points on a crap team playing a lot of minutes when you can screw up all the time then it is to put up points on a good team where one mistake means you don't get to play the rest of the game.

Old
04-19-2004, 05:29 PM
st_roland

Quote:
Which of the 3 2002 draftees would you rather have and why?
Is this some sort of joke? 1 of those three names does not belong and I won't bother naming who. If you can't tell, you probably are in a psychotic fugue and not in touch with reality anyhow.

By the way, I think Whitney does have a lot of offensive potential, but that MrKnowNothing is overstating the impact of "learning" to play defense. I read a number of reports detailing how badly Whitney looks against college level forwards as a Junior this year, and just have a gut feeling that he won't play in the NHL any time soon. Objectively speaking though, Whitney will likely develop into a good offensive defenseman though. I'd rather have Eminger by a country mile though.

A good poll would be Whitney up against Eminger and other non-blue chip defensemen. Actually I think i'll make one up.

Last edited by st_roland: 04-19-2004 at 05:39 PM.
Old
04-19-2004, 06:52 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by st_roland
Is this some sort of joke? 1 of those three names does not belong and I won't bother naming who. If you can't tell, you probably are in a psychotic fugue and not in touch with reality anyhow.

By the way, I think Whitney does have a lot of offensive potential, but that MrKnowNothing is overstating the impact of "learning" to play defense. I read a number of reports detailing how badly Whitney looks against college level forwards as a Junior this year, and just have a gut feeling that he won't play in the NHL any time soon. Objectively speaking though, Whitney will likely develop into a good offensive defenseman though. I'd rather have Eminger by a country mile though.

A good poll would be Whitney up against Eminger and other non-blue chip defensemen. Actually I think i'll make one up.
Difference between Whitney & Eminger is this. Eminger is the safer prospect, but he'll be unspectacular. An unspectacular second pairing defenseman, best case or worst case. A very safe prospect. Whitney has the potential to be one of the best defenseman in the league...and he could be another Peter Ratchuk...

Potential is much higher, but so is the possibility of a flop.

That said, probably the only people to take Eminger would be Caps fans. It was never close IMO when it was draft time. Babchuck would be closer.

Old
04-20-2004, 12:25 AM
DJ Spinoza

Yeah, and I've talked to people who have actually seen the kid play numerous times at BU.

The big difference with Whitney is that he was more of a high risk/high reward player.

Old
04-20-2004, 12:36 AM
DJ Spinoza

And I'll up front admit that I have Whitney overrated, higher than any of you. I think he's the real deal offensively, and that his defensive qualms are overrated. It is my opinion that he will become the Pens' best defensemen and cornerstone to the defense for years. Those are huge expectations, but I think he's got more offensive talent than he's given credit for. He has the ability to see the ice extremely well, which leads you to believe he is a smart player. Smart players can adapt to playing in the pros fine.

He also hasn't gotten much attention because BU was absolutely horrible.

So, like I said, I'm being a homer and overrating the guy. But the fact that you are comparing him with Eric Nystrom shows you've never seen him play, or talked to anyone who has.

We'll see in a couple of years.

Old
04-20-2004, 04:58 PM
st_roland

Quote:
We'll see in a couple of years.

Thats the fun part of this whole thing

I'd love to see both Whitney and Eminger develop into fantastic defensemen. The league could always use more talent.

Old
04-20-2004, 06:27 PM
DJ Spinoza

Well, for some irony, Whitney just blocked a great chance for Bridgeport in tonight's AHL game.

I'll be honest, I was originally a little stoked (hello, 90s) about Whitney's play in the third WBS game and may have been overzealous at first. But I think he does have tremendous offensive potential, and he seems to have good hockey sense, which to me means that he can 'learn' defense. That was poor wording on my part.

Like I said, I know someone who I write along with (sort of) for a fan Pens site (very sparingly, the thing just started... letsgopens.com, prospects section). Anyways, the long and short of it was that he seemed to be very impressed with his game. Personally I think that Whitney has the highest offensive ceiling (of these three), in a way. I don't know if he'll be a huge goal scorer, but I think he has the potential to rack up loads of assists in the future.

I think his defensive play is a little overrated. It's hard to get a great measure on it, because BU was just horrible last year, and he's played all of two pro games. So far for Wilkes Barre, he has sounded (listening on the radio) like he's fine defensively, and that's what everyone who's seen it seems to think too. But two games is much too small of a time to get a decent measure.

I think he'll be fine defensively, and also, I think he will step into the NHL much quicker than you anticipate. I had thought the same thing, that he may spend a year or two in Wilkes Barre at first at the least, but not really anymore. I think offensively, he is ready for the NHL. Adapting to the AHL defensively doesn't do much in my opinion. (more irony, Whitney just made another good defensive play and now just barely missed scoring..haha ... again, almost scores... sorry doing a little play by play).

Anyways, the AHL, from how it seems to me, is a kind of open league, in that wild things can happen. Brooks Orpik was quoted as saying something along the lines of it's harder to adapt going back down than going up, because the NHL is way more predictable. As long as Whitney is big enough (which, from the numbers I read, he is), I see him coming up pretty quickly, maybe as soon as making the team out of camp, if there is one.

So, I'm willing to take the flack and stick with the completely unpopular pick.

Old
04-21-2004, 03:39 PM
Jonifan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_roland

why would you think whitney is better then the other 2

cuz if ur sayin what i think your sayin the somin messed up
look at the other replys then you may realize that whitney isnt that great and also look at the pool!!!

Old
04-22-2004, 08:19 AM
justapantherfan

JayBo and not just because I am a Panthers fan. The kid has great potential we just need to get some Vets around him, to get him up to speed.

Old
04-22-2004, 08:27 AM
Epoch

Jay Bouwmeester.

Old
04-22-2004, 11:42 AM
st_roland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonifan44
why would you think whitney is better then the other 2

cuz if ur sayin what i think your sayin the somin messed up
look at the other replys then you may realize that whitney isnt that great and also look at the pool!!!
Nice avatar.

Question: What part of this did you not understand?

"I read a number of reports detailing how badly Whitney looks against college level forwards as a Junior this year, and just have a gut feeling that he won't play in the NHL any time soon."

I said I don't think he'll play in the NHL if that was too complicated for you. So the entire point of my post is that Whitney is not the same calibre player that Bouwmeester and Pitkanen are right now.

:mad:

Old
04-22-2004, 03:06 PM
User571

Send a message via AIM to User571
I see that Whitney didnt belong, I just through him in as a wildcard.

Old
04-22-2004, 03:21 PM
IceKatsRHot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriss_co

Thank you for telling everyone the correct answer...

Fools only look at points as to who is better..

Are they kidding or what?

Bouwmeester is going to be as good if not better than a Chris Pronger...

Norris written all over him and even on his underwear just to remind him

Old
04-22-2004, 04:53 PM
JDB3939

Send a message via AIM to JDB3939
As impressed as I have been with Ryan lately. His play in WBS has been great so far. Which has been a HUGE relief to Pens fans. But he is nowhere near JBo or Pitakanen level right now. I'd like to kick CP for not making a deal with Tampa similar to the Philly deal. If he did we'd have Pitkanen and Whitney!

But my pick is JBo.

Closed Thread