HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Babcock: goalies picked, 8 d and 15 forwards in the hunt

Old
12-22-2009, 11:48 AM
Ironslave

vCash: 500
Babcock: goalies picked, 8 d and 15 forwards in the hunt

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/hockey/new...tml?cid=rsstsn

So, we know who the 3 goalies are, Brodeur Luongo and Fleury, that's a lock.

It's probably pretty safe to say that the 8 defense are:

Nidermayer
Pronger
Weber
Keith
Boyle
Bouwmeester
Seabrook
Doughty

So, who would you guess the 15 forwards in the hunt are? Let's not turn this into another "pick what the lines will be", let's just guess who are still being considered. My guesses:

Locks:
1. Crosby
2. Iginla
3. Nash
4. Thornton
5. Marleau
6. Heatley
7. Getzlaf
8. Perry

my guesses still in hunt:

9. M. Richards
10. E. Staal
11. Stamkos
12. Toews
13. Bergeron
14. Morrow
15. St. Louis

Ironslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:51 AM
JL17

No offense to Marleau but I still think don't think he's a lock....he's close.

I agree with your still in the hunt guys. Same goes for D-men.

JL17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:51 AM
therealdeal

That list you made looks about right for me.

I would say its really just down to 2 defenseman, Seabrook or Doughty. The forwards you have right as well by my count, probably down to about 4 of them.

therealdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:52 AM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

It is a crime that people don't consider Marty St. Louis a lock.

hockeyfan125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:54 AM
Fire Julien

St-Louis is a lock, and Shane Doan and Ryan Smyth are in the hunt.

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:56 AM
Tuggy

My picks:

http://fantasy.ctvolympics.ca/ctvo/t...ive_interval=1

My one real regret is putting Phaneuf in there.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 12:01 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

I think Brad Richards is still in the hunt.

And I don't consider St. Louis a lock either... one thing going against him will be his size and his right handed shot for a winger. With the other names on the list, I think the right wing is pretty much locked up in the top 3 spots, and St. Louis isn't exactly the best fit for a 4th line - where a guy like Doan would be of better use.

I think the locks above are correct... and I think they'll find a left handed shooter to play on the 3rd unit with Getzlaf and Perry, who are both right handed shots, giving Brad Richards a step up in that role over a guy like St. Louis IMO. He also has the same number of points (3 more goals) than St. Louis does this season.

It's basically keeping the Sharks line together (which I think they will) and Perry on the 3rd line right side that will have St. Louis on the outside looking in.... though it wouldn't surprise me if he does make the team over Doan in the end, considering his history with the team and is having a solid season this year.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 12:06 PM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
I think Brad Richards is still in the hunt.

And I don't consider St. Louis a lock either... one thing going against him will be his size and his right handed shot for a winger. With the other names on the list, I think the right wing is pretty much locked up in the top 3 spots, and St. Louis isn't exactly the best fit for a 4th line - where a guy like Doan would be of better use.

I think the locks above are correct... and I think they'll find a left handed shooter to play on the 3rd unit with Getzlaf and Perry, who are both right handed shots, giving Brad Richards a step up in that role over a guy like St. Louis IMO. He also has the same number of points (3 more goals) than St. Louis does this season.

It's basically keeping the Sharks line together (which I think they will) and Perry on the 3rd line right side that will have St. Louis on the outside looking in.... though it wouldn't surprise me if he does make the team over Doan in the end, considering his history with the team and is having a solid season this year.
I thought St. Louis shot left?

Yes, he does.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8466378

Last edited by Frank the Tank: 12-22-2009 at 12:08 PM. Reason: add link
Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 12:11 PM
SFSharkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL17 View Post
No offense to Marleau but I still think don't think he's a lock....he's close.

I agree with your still in the hunt guys. Same goes for D-men.
tied for 2nd in the league in goals doesnt do it for you? or is it the blazing speed? or maybe the established chemistry with JT and Heatley?

SFSharkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 12:12 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
I thought St. Louis shot left?

Yes, he does.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8466378
doh! That's twice now I messed up on that... just figured he was a right handed shot as he always plays the right side?

but since I was wrong there, St. Louis does have a much better shot at making the team on the 3rd line left wing... although I do think that Richards has a solid chance as well to make the team.

Old
12-22-2009, 12:15 PM
The Game

I'd agree with Marleau being there. You've already have the built in chemistry with Thornton and Heatley, why mess with that and try to move someone else into that slot?

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 12:17 PM
cody275
HFBoards Sponsor

Your list looks right to me, seems like a lot of the people that should be there. Can't really think of anyone else that might actually be getting consideration that isn't on it.

Does anyone think Wolski might get thought about here. He's playing good, plays wing and center, and has size, speed, and soft hands. I don't think he will, or should make the team. But with his play this year, is he playing himself into consideration?

cody275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 12:19 PM
DDIHH

Pronger AND M. Richards... I doubt it.

DDIHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 12:19 PM
JL17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSharkie View Post
tied for 2nd in the league in goals doesnt do it for you? or is it the blazing speed? or maybe the established chemistry with JT and Heatley?
I probably should have said Heatley as well. I didn't say he wasn't on the team I said he's not a lock but close to me. Points points points....look at play in big games, you don't build a team on points. I don't know if I'd take all three from San Jose just for the fact of big game success they haven't been there. The thing I like about Marleau is his two way play.

I'd like to take Marleau as a bottom six with his two way play.

Last edited by JL17: 12-22-2009 at 12:40 PM.
JL17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 12:22 PM
Riggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody275 View Post
Does anyone think Wolski might get thought about here. He's playing good, plays wing and center, and has size, speed, and soft hands. I don't think he will, or should make the team. But with his play this year, is he playing himself into consideration?
He'd be a consideration for Team Canada #5 or 6.

For the original post, I'd put Doan as still in the hunt over Bergeron. Then I think it's right.

Riggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 12:24 PM
The Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody275 View Post
Your list looks right to me, seems like a lot of the people that should be there. Can't really think of anyone else that might actually be getting consideration that isn't on it.

I think Wolski's playing great but at no point do I think Yzerman and his management team even considered him.

Wolski's lacks international experience and I don't think that this would be the event for him to get his "feet wet".

I think if he continues to progress at the pace he is, he will garner consideration in 2014, provided NHLers participate.

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 12:32 PM
Ironslave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Edwards View Post
St-Louis is a lock, and Shane Doan and Ryan Smyth are in the hunt.
if Doan and Smyth are in the hunt, then who isn't? Babcock said there are 15 players still being considered.

Old
12-22-2009, 12:38 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironslave View Post
if Doan and Smyth are in the hunt, then who isn't? Babcock said there are 15 players still being considered.
from your list, I'd guess Stamkos and Bergeron are not in the hunt, while Doan and Brad Richards are.

Can't see both Toews and Stamkos on the team, and I think that Toews is higher on the list right now because he'd be asked to step in for a depth role, and he's also proven more versatile than Stamkos so far in both their young careers.

I can't see Brad Richards not in consideration this year... he's got 10 goals and 40 pts, 8th overall in league scoring and 3rd among all Canadian players behind Thornton and Crosby (tied with St. Louis but has more goals, and with 2 fewer games played).

IMO he has to be in the hunt right now... and given his overall game, and his past experience as a Conn Symthe winner, he should be in consideration at this point.

Bergeron has had a solid season, but sits 13 points behind right now, and doesn't have the experience that Richards brings.

Old
12-22-2009, 12:47 PM
Ironslave

Quote:
from your list, I'd guess Stamkos and Bergeron are not in the hunt, while Doan and Brad Richards are.

Can't see both Toews and Stamkos on the team, and I think that Toews is higher on the list right now because he'd be asked to step in for a depth role, and he's also proven more versatile than Stamkos so far in both their young careers.

I can't see Brad Richards not in consideration this year... he's got 10 goals and 40 pts, 8th overall in league scoring and 3rd among all Canadian players behind Thornton and Crosby (tied with St. Louis but has more goals, and with 2 fewer games played).

IMO he has to be in the hunt right now... and given his overall game, and his past experience as a Conn Symthe winner, he should be in consideration at this point.

Bergeron has had a solid season, but sits 13 points behind right now, and doesn't have the experience that Richards brings.
The thing about Bergeron though is that he is a right handed center who is dominant at faceoffs (58.4%, 7th in the league). Canada has nobody else who can take faceoffs in their own end on the right side so it's a serious void. ALL their other centers are all lefties (Crosby, Thornton, Getzlaf, Richards, Toews, Staal, all lefties). I think Bergeron makes it because of this reason, I think he's the 13th forward who takes every faceoff in their own end on the right side, and plays on the PK.

I agree Toews makes it, but I still think Stamkos is in consideration. He's a dynamic game changer capable of making something happen each and every shift, and one of the best scorers in the league (21 goals thus far, good for tied 5th in the league). After the Turin debacle, I think that Canada would make a mistake to leave out a sniper such as him. Last night was a great example, he scored goal on a redirect that few players are cable of doing, set up another one where he blasted a 1 timer that the goalie couldn't handle which gave Malone a wide open net, and he hit the post another time too where he blazed past a defenseman and deeked the goalie only to hit the post. He was seemingly a lock a month ago, though he did hit a cold streak, but he's picked it up again.

Can you imagine him getting passes from Sidney Crosby? There might not be two better skaters in the world, and Crosby needs a finisher, which Stamkos might be the best in the game at that right now (I'd argue a better pure finisher than Ovie who just seems to blaze by and shoot the puck almost through the goalie). Put Rick Nash on the other side and I think this line lights it up.

Last edited by Ironslave: 12-22-2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old
12-22-2009, 12:51 PM
Analyzer

Quote:
The thing about Bergeron though is that he is a right handed center who is dominant at faceoffs (58.4%, 7th in the league). Canada has nobody else who can take faceoffs in their own end on the right side so it's a serious void. ALL their other centers are all lefties (Crosby, Thornton, Getzlaf, Richards, Toews, Staal, all lefties). I think Bergeron makes it because of this reason, I think he's the 13th forward who takes every faceoff in their own end on the right side, and plays on the PK.
Bergeron is also an excellent two-way forward. Richards is the only centre who is better, but he's not right handed. Eric Staal hasn't really been doing anything this year and shouldn't be on the team. The hard part will be choosing from Richards, Toews and Bergeron.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 01:02 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Getzlaf is a right handed center.

good point about his faceoff ability though... but as a 13th forward, wouldn't someone who's more versatile - can play any forward position, and has recently, be a more fitting addition?

Toews is that type of player... has played on the left side, right side and center in Chicago... is a solid defensive player that plays on the PK, is over 60% on faceoffs and is already a well regarded young captain in the league.

if it comes down to Toews and Bergeron for that 13th spot, do you give it Bergeron because of the right handed shot? personally, I'd take Toews as my 13th forward.

faceoffs, he's 60.6% to Bergeron's 58.4%... and with Crosby (57%), and Thornton (53%), faceoffs shouldn't be a concern... Getzlaf is the only center that is below 50% on the team (though the only other right handed center). Marleau at 54.5% and M. Richards at 51.3%, could also both be on the team, and both support solid faceoff numbers.

And all these guys are also solid PK players as well.

Old
12-22-2009, 01:02 PM
droller*

Brad Richards has to be a lock for this team. He is ripping it up this season, won a cup, can play any role... to top it off, he can play ANY forward position (BIG key for Canada)

droller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 01:12 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:

I think Bergeron is being considered: http://espn.go.com/boston/columns/br...44/name/kalman

He brings more to the table than scoring, which is why he has a decent chance of making the team. One thing I will be interested to see is if the Canadian brass will fight the urge to name certain players to the team at the expense of those that are playing better and would probably be better contributers on the Olympic stage.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 01:17 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Bergeron is also an excellent two-way forward. Richards is the only centre who is better, but he's not right handed. Eric Staal hasn't really been doing anything this year and shouldn't be on the team. The hard part will be choosing from Richards, Toews and Bergeron.
Eric Staal has been injured this year, but he has been really good since coming back from that injury. Over a point per game pace. Considering his history with Team Canada, making it in '06 as a taxi squad guy and playing in multiple WC teams, he'll likely get a long hard look. Yzerman was in Carolina just to watch him a few games back. I really don't see what the benefit would be of taking a guy like Bergeron or even Toews at his age over Staal.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 01:17 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
I think Bergeron is being considered: http://espn.go.com/boston/columns/br...44/name/kalman

He brings more to the table than scoring, which is why he has a decent chance of making the team. One thing I will be interested to see is if the Canadian brass will fight the urge to name certain players to the team at the expense of those that are playing better and would probably be better contributers on the Olympic stage.
that's a given already. Niedermayer is a lock to make the team. But he hasn't had that great a season overall... I've watched him enough this season to see that he's clearly taken a step back in his game, and is making a lot more mistakes than we're used to seeing from him... but he's basically a Team Canada legend, and if he wants to be on the Team, he will.

I'm also not sure about Pronger... although I've only seen a few Flyers games this year, but he hasn't impressed me as much this year as he has in the past... still he's a lock on the team, even though they may be defenders playing better than him this season.