HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Babcock: goalies picked, 8 d and 15 forwards in the hunt

Old
12-22-2009, 02:18 PM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
from your list, I'd guess Stamkos and Bergeron are not in the hunt, while Doan and Brad Richards are.

Can't see both Toews and Stamkos on the team, and I think that Toews is higher on the list right now because he'd be asked to step in for a depth role, and he's also proven more versatile than Stamkos so far in both their young careers.

I can't see Brad Richards not in consideration this year... he's got 10 goals and 40 pts, 8th overall in league scoring and 3rd among all Canadian players behind Thornton and Crosby (tied with St. Louis but has more goals, and with 2 fewer games played).

IMO he has to be in the hunt right now... and given his overall game, and his past experience as a Conn Symthe winner, he should be in consideration at this point.

Bergeron has had a solid season, but sits 13 points behind right now, and doesn't have the experience that Richards brings.
Unlike Richards, however, Bergeron shoots right and has a 59% faceoff win percentage. Having Getzlaf (49%) as the only right shooting center to take key draws would be foolish in my opinion.

Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 02:22 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
Unlike Richards, however, Bergeron shoots right and has a 59% faceoff win percentage.
yes, I know... addressed that in my last post, where I listed that Toews has an even better faceoff %, though is not a right handed shot.

And Richards, Brad that is, I would consider for the 3rd spot on the left wing side beside Getzlaf and Perry... that's if St. Louis doesn't get that spot instead. Bergeron is more a fit for the 13th forward spot... but on that 3rd line, I'd want a left handed shot next to 2 right handers in Getzlaf and Perry... and Richards, IMO, would be a much better fit there than Bergeron, and even St.Louis.

I think Bergeron will be fighting guys like Toews and Stamkos as the 13th forward... while Brad Richards will be fighting St. Louis and E. Staal for the 3rd spot on that 3rd unit's left side.

NFITO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 02:27 PM
embracedbias

I take Toews over Bergeron, personally.

I think I'd take B.Richards and M.Richards over them both, though.

I agree with your list, except for that I'd put Doan on there instead of Stamkos, and B.Richards over Staal.

embracedbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 02:28 PM
flames123

HF users voted on who would be on the team, check it out.

EDIT: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=717314

Last edited by flames123: 12-22-2009 at 02:51 PM.
flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 02:29 PM
embracedbias

Quote:
yes, I know... addressed that in my last post, where I listed that Toews has an even better faceoff %, though is not a right handed shot.

And Richards, Brad that is, I would consider for the 3rd spot on the left wing side beside Getzlaf and Perry... that's if St. Louis doesn't get that spot instead. Bergeron is more a fit for the 13th forward spot... but on that 3rd line, I'd want a left handed shot next to 2 right handers in Getzlaf and Perry... and Richards, IMO, would be a much better fit there than Bergeron, and even St.Louis.

I think Bergeron will be fighting guys like Toews and Stamkos as the 13th forward... while Brad Richards will be fighting St. Louis and E. Staal for the 3rd spot on that 3rd unit's left side.
I agree with you.

I think the real question is who do you put on the fourth line? I like Doan, Morrow and M.Richards.

Old
12-22-2009, 02:35 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by embracedbias View Post
I agree with you.

I think the real question is who do you put on the fourth line? I like Doan, Morrow and M.Richards.
I agree... that's who my 4th line would be as well.

And my 13th forward would be Toews... although I understand the argument about Bergeron being a good faceoff guy with a right handed shot, but I think I'd sacrifice that on a team that will already have 4-5 other 50+% faceoff guys as it is, with Toews at over 60%... instead, I'd rather have a guy who has proven capable of playing well in every forward position, which is why my 3rd line left wing spot would go to Brad Richards, and my 13th forward spot would go to Toews - because of the added versatility that both these guys will bring.

My forward lines would be:

Nash - Crosby - Iginla
Heatley - Thornton - Marleau
B. Richards - Getzlaf - Perry
Morrow - M. Richards - Doan
Toews

the hardest guy to leave off, for me, is St. Louis... but I like the fit of the above lines better.

Old
12-22-2009, 02:42 PM
habsfans333*

Quote:

And my 13th forward would be Toews... although I understand the argument about Bergeron being a good faceoff guy with a right handed shot, but I think I'd sacrifice that on a team that will already have 4-5 other 50+% faceoff guys as it is, with Toews at over 60%... instead, I'd rather have a guy who has proven capable of playing well in every forward position, which is why my 3rd line left wing spot would go to Brad Richards, and my 13th forward spot would go to Toews - because of the added versatility that both these guys will bring.

Nash - Crosby - Iginla
Toews

the hardest guy to leave off, for me, is St. Louis... but I like the fit of the above lines better.
So in others word, you left all frenchie out of the team. Rofl.

One of Lecavalier, St. Louis or P. Bergeron will make the team.

My money is on St. Louis. He is better than Doan and Perry.

habsfans333* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 02:46 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfans333 View Post

sorry, I didn't think about the player's background anymore so than being Canadian... IMO that's all that matters - not being "frenchie" or not.

The problem I have with St. Louis over those guys is the fit on the roster... you don't take St. Louis over Perry... Perry is a lock and has established chemistry with his center already - that's a big factor in a short tournament. No way St. Louis makes this team over Perry.

With Doan, it's more debatable... but we're talking about a 4th line role here... I go with the more physical right winger in that role, especially when you're playing on a smaller (NHL) ice surface.... but this is certainly more debatable overall.

again, being a "frenchie" or not has nothing to do with it... I'd pick the team above because IMO they provide the best balance overall, with the best chance of chemistry on each line.

besides, you'll have your fenchies in goal - all 3 of them... guaranteed to have one in every game

Old
12-22-2009, 02:52 PM
flames123

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfans333 View Post

According to poll it's St. Louis.

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 03:01 PM
Cawz

Quote:
from your list, I'd guess Stamkos and Bergeron are not in the hunt, while Doan and Brad Richards are.

Can't see both Toews and Stamkos on the team, and I think that Toews is higher on the list right now because he'd be asked to step in for a depth role, and he's also proven more versatile than Stamkos so far in both their young careers.

I can't see Brad Richards not in consideration this year... he's got 10 goals and 40 pts, 8th overall in league scoring and 3rd among all Canadian players behind Thornton and Crosby (tied with St. Louis but has more goals, and with 2 fewer games played).

IMO he has to be in the hunt right now... and given his overall game, and his past experience as a Conn Symthe winner, he should be in consideration at this point.

Bergeron has had a solid season, but sits 13 points behind right now, and doesn't have the experience that Richards brings.
Stamkos may be in the hunt since he was considered to come to the August orientation camp and has played well this year. Toews was at the camp, so they both have been considered.

I dont see why Doan or Bergeron would be there. Richards probably should be considered, since he was at the August camp and is playing well as you mentioned. Penner is also being considered, and Yzerman said there are a couple players who werent at the camp who have played themselves into consideration.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 03:03 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
If we're talking about Bergeron making the team, why don't we switch up the lines a bit and go with something like this?

Bergeron-Crosby-Perry
Nash-Getzlaf-Iginla
Heatley-Thornton-Marleau
Toews - M.Richards - Doan

12-22-2009, 03:04 PM
embracedbias

Quote:

Nash - Crosby - Iginla
Toews

I agree 100%. The hardest decision is which of B.Richards/St.Louis to put on the team.

For me, it's sort of a wash. I'm sort of impartial to St.Louis, because of his speed, but it's always good to have a versatile player like Richards...

Old
12-22-2009, 03:06 PM
embracedbias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauser View Post
If we're talking about Bergeron making the team, why don't we switch up the lines a bit and go with something like this?

Bergeron-Crosby-Perry
Nash-Getzlaf-Iginla
Heatley-Thornton-Marleau
Can't see why they'd break up Perry and Getzlaf... and I don't know why they'd choose to put Bergeron on the 1st line wing when he isn't THAT good offensively, and doesn't play the wing. He's also right handed.

With such a lineup, you could put St.Louis or B.Richards on the 1st line, and put Bergeron or Morrow as the 13th man. And then switch Perry and Iginla.

Old
12-22-2009, 03:07 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Lindy Ruff mentioned a week ago that Mike Fisher is on their radar.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 03:12 PM
Fire Julien

Anyone who doesn't consider St Louis has never seen him play on the international level. Yzerman and his colleagues have and he is on the team for sure.

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 03:12 PM
Mihairokov

Are we sure the goalies are Brodeur, Luongo and Fleury?

Mihairokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 03:13 PM
Shwag33

Is it accepted that the goalies are Brodeur, Luongo, and Fleury?

Shwag33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 03:13 PM
Fire Julien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauser View Post

Bergeron-Crosby-Perry
Nash-Getzlaf-Iginla
Heatley-Thornton-Marleau
Perry and Bergeron will never be on an Olympic 1st line, I'm ready to bet my house on that.

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 03:15 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by embracedbias View Post
Can't see why they'd break up Perry and Getzlaf... and I don't know why they'd choose to put Bergeron on the 1st line wing when he isn't THAT good offensively, and doesn't play the wing. He's also right handed.

With such a lineup, you could put St.Louis or B.Richards on the 1st line, and put Bergeron or Morrow as the 13th man. And then switch Perry and Iginla.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Edwards View Post
Perry and Bergeron will never be on an Olympic 1st line, I'm ready to bet my house on that.
Do we need to take a trip down memory lane to 2005, Grand Forks North Dakota? The Bergeron-Crosby-Perry line was absolutely dominant. I'm not sure if they can recapture their dominance going forward, but I would certainly be interested in seeing what those three could do if reunited.

y2kcanucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 03:16 PM
Nedved

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Lindy Ruff mentioned a week ago that Mike Fisher is on their radar.
what would buffalo have to give up for him?

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 03:34 PM
Dr Awesome
Bo "knows" Horvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Edwards View Post
St-Louis is a lock, and Shane Doan and Ryan Smyth are in the hunt.
I doubt it happens But ive been hoping for Doan Richards Morrow line.

Dr Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 03:36 PM
Andrew Sykes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSharkie View Post
tied for 2nd in the league in goals doesnt do it for you? or is it the blazing speed? or maybe the established chemistry with JT and Heatley?
Marleau is a lock no question about it. Its foolish to believe otherwise.

Andrew Sykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 03:39 PM
source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironslave View Post

Locks:
1. Crosby
2. Iginla
3. Nash
4. Thornton
5. Marleau
6. Heatley
7. Getzlaf
8. Perry

my guesses still in hunt:

9. M. Richards
10. E. Staal
11. Stamkos
12. Toews
13. Bergeron
14. Morrow
15. St. Louis
Switch Toews with Mike Fisher, and that looks about right.

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 03:39 PM
tzinc

if they go with 8 d men one better be mike green

tzinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 03:40 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
Switch Toews with Mike Fisher, and that looks about right.
Umm..what makes you think Fisher deserves to be there more than Toews?

I guarantee that Mike Fisher will not be on the Olympic team.

y2kcanucks is online now   Reply With Quote