HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Babcock: goalies picked, 8 d and 15 forwards in the hunt

Old
12-22-2009, 09:12 PM
joe_shannon_1983*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to joe_shannon_1983*
It isn't St. Louis vs. B. Richards.

I think it is more-so St. Louis vs. Staal for the 3rd line winger spot, playing with Getzlaf-Perry.

If B. Richards is still in consideration at this point, then it is between him and M. Richards for the 4th line centre spot.

Toews will be the 13th forward. I would bet anything on it.

joe_shannon_1983* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 12:38 AM
86Habs

I simply would not be comfortable with a Morrow-M.Richards-Doan line going up against the Russians (though they'd likely be more effective against U.S., Sweden, and Finland). I think that line would be much too slow to match up effectively against the speed of the Russians. Plus, it's not like any of those 3 players are having outstanding, Olympic-caliber seasons.

I think Morrow makes it, given the lack of quality "pure" left wingers and his hard-nosed physical play, and I would certainly prefer both Bergeron and Toews over Mike Richards as the "shut-down" center based on their play this year. Both guys are also versatile enough to play the wing if need be. I'd love to see a Morrow-Toews-Bergeron 4th line - great defensive awareness, speed, grit, forechecking ability, and they pose an offensive threat. Toews and Bergeron are both amongst the league's best in the faceoff dot (and shoot opposite ways, which is obviously handy), and are both great PK'ers and leaders. I'd be comfortable having them in the game defending a lead against the Russians with 1 minute left.

86Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 01:23 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

if you're in the camp that shane doan should not make the team (i am), the two best options canada has for a 4th line RWer are both centers from the NE: Bergeron and Fisher. I like fisher because he's very comparable to bergeron offensively and defensively this season but plays an all-out grittier game. I'd like to believe i'm not biased by the team i cheer for (hey, i'm not suggesting anything crazy like putting phillips on the team), but may be biased by the fact that I love players that play the Morrow/Fisher style of game. If you had told me at the start of the season that I would be pushing for fisher to make the olympic team, i would have told you that you were probably crazy, considering he was coming off the worst season in his career, but he has been ottawa's best player this year without a doubt, and when a team with alfredsson, michalek, kovalev, and spezza is being carried by a mike fisher, that says a lot.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 01:39 AM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by quysauce View Post
Nash - Crosby - Iginla
Heatley - Thornton - Marleau
St.Louis - Getzlaf - Perry
Morrow - M. Richards - Doan
B.Richards (Plays all position, great 13th forward)
wow we are exactly the same

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 02:53 AM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

As much as a good 4th line looks on paper, taking Doan/Morrow over Toews/Staal doesn't fly with me. If you really need a checking line, put Marleau out there with Thornton and another winger and tell them to lock it down. Marleau is elite defensively and Joe has played a checking role with Canada in the past. My latest lines:

Nash-Sid-Iggy
St.Louis-Getzlaf-Perry
Marleau-Thornton-Heatley
Toews-Staal-Morrow/Doan/Richards/Richards

Hell, Staal, Toews, Getzlaf, these guys can all be shut down if need be. You take the best players.

hockeyfan125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 03:09 AM
67Cup

I know Pronger and Niedermayer are considered locks but they sure aren't playing that well. And Pronger had a truly awful tournament at Turin in '06. You wonder if they will make the team based on reputation rather than present level of play.

67Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 03:14 AM
Bucky Katt

My best guess:

Nash-Crosby-Iginla
Heatley-Thornton-Marleau
E Staal-Getzlaf-Perry
Morrow-Bergeron-St Louis
Toews

Bouwmeester
Boyle
Keith
Niedermayer
Pronger
Seabrook
Weber

Brodeur
Luongo
Fleury

Bucky Katt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 03:18 AM
Snipeshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
I agree... that's who my 4th line would be as well.

And my 13th forward would be Toews... although I understand the argument about Bergeron being a good faceoff guy with a right handed shot, but I think I'd sacrifice that on a team that will already have 4-5 other 50+% faceoff guys as it is, with Toews at over 60%... instead, I'd rather have a guy who has proven capable of playing well in every forward position, which is why my 3rd line left wing spot would go to Brad Richards, and my 13th forward spot would go to Toews - because of the added versatility that both these guys will bring.

My forward lines would be:

Nash - Crosby - Iginla
B. Richards - Getzlaf - Perry
Morrow - M. Richards - Doan
Toews

the hardest guy to leave off, for me, is St. Louis... but I like the fit of the above lines better.
That's the exact forward group I've got. I think that 4th line is going to be the best combo possible to get a solid checking line for team Canada.

Although, Marleau I am still not sure about. Not being there for the big games has to be on Yzerman's mind.

Snipeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 03:23 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
if you're in the camp that shane doan should not make the team (i am), the two best options canada has for a 4th line RWer are both centers from the NE: Bergeron and Fisher. I like fisher because he's very comparable to bergeron offensively and defensively this season but plays an all-out grittier game. I'd like to believe i'm not biased by the team i cheer for (hey, i'm not suggesting anything crazy like putting phillips on the team), but may be biased by the fact that I love players that play the Morrow/Fisher style of game. If you had told me at the start of the season that I would be pushing for fisher to make the olympic team, i would have told you that you were probably crazy, considering he was coming off the worst season in his career, but he has been ottawa's best player this year without a doubt, and when a team with alfredsson, michalek, kovalev, and spezza is being carried by a mike fisher, that says a lot.
what he said

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 06:27 AM
skipole
Professional Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
I really don't see Fisher making the team over Jonathon Toews, especially for that 4th line spot. Fisher has a definite edge in terms of physicality, but this is the Olympics, which diminishes the importance of guys like Fisher.

I also think it's worth considering splitting up the SJ line and moving Marleau to fill a 4th line winger role. He's one of the best defensive forwards in the game, and easily the fastest forward on the team. He's also an excellent penalty killer. Anyone who considers leaving Marleau off is completely insane, imo. That said, his spot beside Thornton and Heatley could be given to St. Louis or E. Staal, who would be excellent to have offensively but aren't really fit for a 4th line role.

skipole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 08:16 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Katt View Post
My best guess:

Nash-Crosby-Iginla
Heatley-Thornton-Marleau
E Staal-Getzlaf-Perry
Morrow-Bergeron-St Louis
Toews

Bouwmeester
Boyle
Keith
Niedermayer
Pronger
Seabrook
Weber

Brodeur
Luongo
Fleury
That's an awesome team.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 08:49 AM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 50
Nash-Crosby-St. Louis
Heatley-Thornton-Marleau
Morrow-M.Richards-Iginla
Penner-Getzlaf-Perry
B.Richards

Weber-Boyle
Bouwmeester-Keith
Pronger-Neidermeyer
White

Brodeur
Luongo

BoldNewLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 08:53 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ho View Post
Pronger AND M. Richards... I doubt it.
Pronger will be there. If the team was named today, Mike Richards shouldn't. It's funny, with all the names they have on offense, there's a very good chance we won't have a single forward, but we could have up to 5 defensemen in the Olympics

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 10:15 AM
WADEugottaBELAKthat
Flynt Flossy

Quote:
Originally Posted by banana phone View Post
My god, I think Marty is a "bit" past any size issues! Stanley Cup champ, Hart Trophy winner, superstar who produces night-in and night-out on an inconsistent hockey team. Size has never been an issue for him. He is a lock, can play in all situations, can score, make plays, and most importantly is incredibly determined and driven to succeed. 100% lock.
100% in agreement. St. Louis' versatility allows him to play on any line.

WADEugottaBELAKthat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 10:34 AM
Roo

Nash - Crosby - Iginla
Marleau - Thornton - Heatley
Morrow - Getzlaf - Perry
Smyth - M. Richards - Doan
St. Louis, B. Richards

Pronger - Boyle
Neidermayer - Weber
Keith - Seabrook
Bouwmeester

Luongo
Brodeur
MAF

Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 11:00 AM
OMGaudreau

Expect the following to be named to Team Canada in one week's time:

Nash - Crosby - Iginla
B.Richards - Getzlaf - Perry
Toews - M. Richards - Doan
x- Morrow

Pronger - Niedermayer
Keith - Seabrooke
Phaneuf - Weber
x-Bouwmeester

Brodeur
Luongo
Fleury

OMGaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 11:01 AM
JL17

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dion#3 View Post
Expect the following to be named to Team Canada in one week's time:

Nash - Crosby - Iginla
B.Richards - Getzlaf - Perry
Toews - M. Richards - Doan
x- Morrow

Pronger - Niedermayer
Keith - Seabrooke
Phaneuf - Weber
x-Bouwmeester

Brodeur
Luongo
Fleury
Apparently Phaneuf is not on the team according to Dreger last night.

JL17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 11:04 AM
b in vancouver

Just too many good forwards... and there's going to be 3 or 4 that should play in the top 9 sitting at home watching it on t.v.

My 13 (this morning anyways)
Crosby
Nash
Heatley
Getzlaf
Iginla
St. Louis
E. Staal
Morrow
Bergeron
Toews
Marleau
Perry

With the lines something like this (because he had more chemistry with Crosby at development camp than Iggy - moving Marleau as an extremely versatile 13th forward)

Nash Crosby St. Louis
Heatley Thornton Iginla
E. Staal Getzlaf Perry
Morrow Bergeron Toews
Marleau

I'd like to see both Bergeron and Toews on the 4th line together. I'll argue that they're both as good as Mike Richards, are probably both having better years, are more versatile and I trust them a lot more not to do some bonehead play and take a bad penalty which - if you're playing on the 4th line- You cannot do.
It's tough to leave Shane Doan off the team but... Mike Fisher should be under consideration but I'll be disappointed if he makes it.

B. Richards should be on the team but... where? There are probably 3 winger positions between St. Louis, Marleau, Perry, E. Staal, J. Carter, Stamkos, Brad Richards, Lecavalier? (doubtfully), and whoever else I'm forgetting

b in vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 11:22 AM
Bob Barker

Line 1: Rick Nash-Sidney Crosby-Jarome Iginla

In my opinion, the best Canadian players at their respective positions. This top line would be good in both ends of the ice.

Line 2: Dany Heatley-Joe Thornton-Patrick Marleau
The Sharks line has chemistry and has been lighting up the NHL.

Line 3: Martin St.Louis-Ryan Getzlaf-Corey Perry
Getzlaf and Perry have great chemistry from Anaheim and St. Louis can fit in well with his speed.

Line 4: Jonathan Toews-Mike Richards-Jeff Carter
Three good two way guys, all can play on the PK, and although the Flyers have struggled, I'd still put them on the team. Too much emphasis shouldn't be put on this season.

13th forward: Eric Staal
He always starts slow and turns it up down the stretch and in the playoffs. Simply put, this guy is a big game player, and the kind of guy who will thrive in a short tournament such as this.

Defense Pairing 1 (in no order): Chris Pronger-Scott Niedermayer
They played together in Anaheim, and compliment each other well, Niedermayers smooth and quick style with Pronger's physicality. In my opinion, Niedermayer gets the captaincy because of experience. He's won everything short of the 6/49.

Pairing 2: Duncan Keith-Shea Weber
Both good in both ends of the rink, Keith is smooth like Niedermayer and Weber brings physicality as well.

Pairing 3: Dan Boyle-Jay Bouwmeester
Both good skating dmen who can make a good first pass, Bouwmeester could be replaced in my books by a number of defensemen (Doughty, Seabrook, Regehr, Phaneuf) and he's the player I'm most skeptical of.

7th Dman: Mike Green
This guy is dynamite on the powerplay and I think his defensive deficiency is overblown.

Goaltenders:
Martin Brodeur
Roberto Luongo
Marc-Andre Fleury

Self-explanatory.

Bob Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 11:36 AM
OMGaudreau

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL17 View Post
I heard that, but I dont believe it.

Old
12-23-2009, 12:03 PM
Ironslave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL17 View Post
Everyone besides those with a username of TheDion realize this.

Ironslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 12:04 PM
tahi0009

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dion#3 View Post
I heard that, but I dont believe it.
would that have anything to do with your username???

tahi0009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 12:20 PM
JL17

I still don't understand how Jeff Carter has a shot on this team especially the fourth line. The guy can't play defense from what I've seen this year.

JL17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 12:33 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

I'd be willing to bet money that neither Phaneuf nor Carter make the team.

I think both are obvious now this close to the selections being made. You'd have to be a homer fan to think that either of these guys has much of a chance at all of making it.

The bubble right now is small:

forwards: E. Staal, B. Richards, St. Louis, Morrow, Doan, M. Richards, Toews, Bergeron, Stamkos, Smyth.

IMO the final 5 spots up front will be taken from that list above. My bet is that the long-shots on that list are Bergeron, Stamkos and Smyth. Carter is not a consideration at this point IMO.

defense: JBo, Doughty, Seabrook, Green.

IMO the top 5 are set: Pronger, Niedermayer, Boyle, Weber, Keith. I think that Seabrook has the inside track for the #6 spot, thanks to his history with Keith. The #7 spot will be between JBo and Doughty - depending on whether the team feels they need a PP QB and right handed shot in Doughty, or a more experienced defensive dman and left handed shot in JBo. I think Green is the long-shot on this list. Phaneuf is not a consideration at this point IMO.

goal is set as we all know.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 12:41 PM
OMGaudreau

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahi0009 View Post
would that have anything to do with your username???
Sure, why not back your favourites to the end? Phaneuf slots in more comfortably alongside Weber than boyle does in my oppinion.