HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Babcock: goalies picked, 8 d and 15 forwards in the hunt

Old
12-25-2009, 08:52 PM
TravisUlrich

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtesy Flush View Post
Morrow not on the team would be a disgrace! Canada needs a player like him!
I don't think any Canadian forward that would play on our bottom 6 can pointed to and say "He's the only one with his qualities". So players like Morrow, Doan, and Ryan Smyth are good players but first and foremost, the production has to be there because there are players who bring what they bring but are also putting up points.

For the record, if Ryan Smyth hadn't gotten injured I think there was a really strong chance that he would have made Team Canada.

I would have said Chris Pronger was a lock at the beginning of the season but Pronger's age is really showing and he takes a LOT of stupid penalties. In the recent back-to-back games against Pittsburgh, Jordan Staal was making Pronger his *****. Not good.

So with that:
  1. Neidermayer
  2. Weber
  3. Keith
  4. Seabrook
  5. Boumeester
  6. Boyle or Green
  7. Doughty (7th d-man)

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 09:37 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
I would have said Chris Pronger was a lock at the beginning of the season but Pronger's age is really showing and he takes a LOT of stupid penalties. In the recent back-to-back games against Pittsburgh, Jordan Staal was making Pronger his *****. Not good.

So with that:
  1. Neidermayer
  2. Weber
  3. Keith
  4. Seabrook
  5. Boumeester
  6. Boyle or Green
  7. Doughty (7th d-man)
With that you put Neids as #1? Pronger has been much better than Niedermayer this season.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 12:48 AM
LannysStach
Thou shall

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
I'm SO glad somebody said this. It's seems so knee-jerk everyone putting Pronger on this team. We know what he can do on the positive, but he's a loose canon. I remember what one stupid penalty did to us last Olympics. We can't afford being down 2 or 5 minutes against Russia's front six.

I see him as being the bertuzzi of the team.

We're SO deep and capable at the position, there's no reason to go high risk with our portfolio.

LannysStach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 01:18 AM
jdpitt05

Nash-Crosby-Iginla (On paper, a perfect line. They haven't played long enough to warrant worry of this line not having chemistry. You put your best players together here.)
Heatley-Thornton-Marleau (Best scoring line in the NHL now, why break it up? Thornton will not have to play a checking line role. Can switch up Marleau and Stamkos if they struggle)
Carter-Getzlaf-Perry (Carter isn't lighting it up now but he can snipe with the best of them. Getz and Perry can possess the puck like beasts allowing Carter to float into scoring spots.)
Toews-Richards-Stamkos (Speed, Energy, Skill. Also they are versatile enough to be moved up and down the lineup.)
Staal (Too good a player to leave home. Can play C or wing. Playing on a struggling team.)

Pronger-Niedermayer (Proven pairing with plenty of experience and skills left.)
Keith-Seabrook (Best pairing in the NHL, keep the chemistry together.)
Weber-Boyle (Size and overall game with Weber and the dynamic offense of Boyle.)
Phaneuf (Physical presence that can be put in if needed.)

Brodeur (Undisputed.)
Luongo (Lock.)
MAF (3rd best Canadian goalie now, will get experience to maybe start next olympics.)

jdpitt05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 01:36 AM
AvsFan

1.Keith
2.Neidermayer
3.Pronger
4.Seabrook
5.Boyle
6.Doughty
7.Bouwmeester
8.Weber

Funny how Phaneuf and Reghyr have fallen off the map! I think Green is too one dimensional he and Phaneuf have been pushed out now IMO.

Forwards:

1.Crosby
2.Nash
3.Heatley
4.Getzlaf
5.Perry
6.Thornton
7.Marleau
8.Toews - Improving since he came back from his concussion
9.Iginla

All locks for me^^ Pushing for 4 spots:

10.Fisher - Great PKer/Faceoff guy, scoring more this yr
11.Sharp - Scoring well plays all 3 positions, great PK
12.Mike Richards - Shutdown guy, strong 2 way Center, slumping
13.Eric Staal - Special teams, Wing/Center, strong shooter 2 way guy
14.Brendan Morrow - 4th Line checker, PK guy,
15.Bergeron - Winger/Center good two way play, picked up scoring lately, great faceoffs

Tho I have to think Doan is in there too, maybe Sharp or Staal are not that close in reality. Doan and Morrow provide the same role,but on opposite wings. Doan has size and experience on his side. I'd like to think Smyth is there in the hunt too.

Stamkos and Penner are out now. They scouted Stamkos during a game in his lil rut and he played not so great, he has cooled down a lot. Penner is big and has good chemistry with Perry and Getzlaf I wouldnt be surprised to see him still in the mix.

AvsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 01:38 AM
AvsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpitt05 View Post
Nash-Crosby-Iginla (On paper, a perfect line. They haven't played long enough to warrant worry of this line not having chemistry. You put your best players together here.)
Heatley-Thornton-Marleau (Best scoring line in the NHL now, why break it up? Thornton will not have to play a checking line role. Can switch up Marleau and Stamkos if they struggle)
Carter-Getzlaf-Perry (Carter isn't lighting it up now but he can snipe with the best of them. Getz and Perry can possess the puck like beasts allowing Carter to float into scoring spots.)
Toews-Richards-Stamkos (Speed, Energy, Skill. Also they are versatile enough to be moved up and down the lineup.)
Staal (Too good a player to leave home. Can play C or wing. Playing on a struggling team.)

Pronger-Niedermayer (Proven pairing with plenty of experience and skills left.)
Keith-Seabrook (Best pairing in the NHL, keep the chemistry together.)
Weber-Boyle (Size and overall game with Weber and the dynamic offense of Boyle.)
Phaneuf (Physical presence that can be put in if needed.)

Brodeur (Undisputed.)
Luongo (Lock.)
MAF (3rd best Canadian goalie now, will get experience to maybe start next olympics.)
Carter and Stamkos have cooled down considerably, I read on ESPN or SI forget which one that Stamkos was scouted recently and played quite awful.

brad Richards is also in the mix...15 forwards I cannot limit it down to that few hehe

Old
12-26-2009, 01:39 AM
Derick*

Send a message via MSN to Derick*
Quote:
Originally Posted by LannysStach View Post
I'm SO glad somebody said this. It's seems so knee-jerk everyone putting Pronger on this team. We know what he can do on the positive, but he's a loose canon. I remember what one stupid penalty did to us last Olympics. We can't afford being down 2 or 5 minutes against Russia's front six.

I see him as being the bertuzzi of the team.

We're SO deep and capable at the position, there's no reason to go high risk with our portfolio.
Yzerman said that in a one-game elimintation tournament he wants depth, not flash, so if he sees that in Pronger he may not take him.

Derick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 01:41 AM
AvsFan

Weber, Keith, Seabrook, Boyle and Neidermayer are locks IMO

Pronger, Doughty and Bouwmeester fighting for 2 spots

Old
12-26-2009, 02:04 AM
ted1971
History Of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironslave View Post
http://www.ctvolympics.ca/hockey/new...tml?cid=rsstsn

So, we know who the 3 goalies are, Brodeur Luongo and Fleury, that's a lock.

It's probably pretty safe to say that the 8 defense are:

Nidermayer
Pronger
Weber
Keith
Boyle
Bouwmeester
Seabrook
Doughty

So, who would you guess the 15 forwards in the hunt are? Let's not turn this into another "pick what the lines will be", let's just guess who are still being considered. My guesses:

Locks:
1. Crosby
2. Iginla
3. Nash
4. Thornton
5. Marleau
6. Heatley
7. Getzlaf
8. Perry

my guesses still in hunt:

9. M. Richards
10. E. Staal
11. Stamkos
12. Toews
13. Bergeron
14. Morrow
15. St. Louis
Switch out Mike Richards for Jordan Staal.

Take out Eric Staal for Brad Richards

ted1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 02:14 AM
AvsFan

basically wrong Staal and Richards then?

Old
12-26-2009, 02:27 AM
featherhawk

forward locks

crosby
getzlaf
thorton
heatley
perry
iginla
nash
marleau
st. louis

forwards fighting it out

richards x2
carter
staal
toews
sharp
stamkos
bergeron
doan
morrow
(i think it will be doan/staal/b richards/sharp

d locks

nieds
pronger
kieth
boyle
weber

fightin it out

phaneuf
j bow
doughty
green
seabrook

I think it will be doughty/seabrook & green or phaneuf depending on the wants from the last guy...scoring =green, hits/d/toughness/hits = phanuef

G

marty starter
luongo if marty tanks
MAF not likely to play

featherhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 02:29 AM
AvsFan

they are saying its down to much less then that with 15 forwards and 8 defencemen.