HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is the reffing worse this year?

View Poll Results: Is the NHL reffing regressing?
Yes, I have noticed a change for the worse 23 63.89%
No, I haven't noticed any changes 5 13.89%
Mentallydull is just crazy 1 2.78%
I like beer 7 19.44%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-22-2009, 12:06 PM
Mentallydull

vCash: 500
Is the reffing worse this year?

Alright, I'm not here to say the reffing is costing us games, our play does that well enough it's own. I have, however, noticed a few instances of spotty reffing (the 6 players on the ice the other night as one example) and I'm wondering if this is something that has persisted over the past few years or if things are actually getting worse.

Please, I don't want to hear any paranoid rants about how the refs are out to get the Oilers or anything like, I'd like to hear some rational thoughts and observations if possible.

If you feel that the reffing has been regressing, what do you think the cause is?

If you feel that the reffing hasn't changed lately, what do you feel the reason is for people starting to get more up in arms lately? Is it simply paranoia/homerism?

Any civilized discussions are welcome

Mentallydull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 12:09 PM
Ragss

Feels like it to me. In the past my complaints with reffing seemed more to be about fairness, in other words they'd call a lame hooking on one team and ignore the same thing from the other team.

This year its just blatant wrong calls...all the time.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 12:14 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

I have watched a considerable amount of games, including games not including the Oilers, and believe the reffing has been worse this year. I don't have stats or anything to really back it up, just my own opinion. Just using an Oilers player for example, Dustin Penner who got called twice for a penalty when it should have been an interference call on the other player. Lets be honest as well, Ethan Moreau should have gotten more than a minor for the crap he pulled near the end of the game. I'm sure the refs based the call on the reputation of T.J. Oshie, but give me a break.

hmminvisiblecola1279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 12:26 PM
SlowFreshOil*

I have Center Ice and watch at least a game a night and the officiating in the NHL is by far the worst in ANY professional sport. It's gotten worse over the last three years and the refs seem to insert themselves into the games far more often than they used to.

Hell it's worse than WWE officiating.

What's worse, is there's NO accountability for these chumps.

SlowFreshOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 12:30 PM
MerryJ99

I too watch a lot of hockey and more than just the Oilers games, and yes the reffing as a whole is just plain rotten, missed calls phantom calls it really seems like they are trying to change and control the outcome of some games. I hate to say this but I miss some of the old refs and really have no clue who the new ones are except that most of them just SUCK at their jobs.

MerryJ99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 04:04 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

I don't usually participate in the reffing threads but I do think its gotten worse.

Aside from the obvious things like refs not noticing the opponent having six skaters and a russian tank out on the PP I think theres some explanations.

My main concern is that postcap with the rule changes we have more rules that are too subjective and arbitrary in nature.

On paper the rules look good I guess but obstruction rules particularly are very subject to interpretation in a game that moves as fast as hockey.

We get the benefit of replays and high up full view when looking at these plays and the refs are not seeing the same unobstructed view and make calls in real time.

The other night Penner gets a holding penalty because he's pushing off another player who appears to be holding him. Perhaps the right call in this is that both get a minor penalty. But again thats with benefit of a replay and hindsight.

The main concern is its entirely unrealistic to expect refs to consistently enforce some of the rules that are so innocuous. Theres easily a 100 tugs on jerseys, or light slashes or hooks every game. The problem is with these rules it becomes entirely an exercise in judging threshold response of when something becomes a penalty.

i.e. not a tug, or a hook or a hold itself but how much of one.

Which invariable ends up looking like selective enforcement.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 05:25 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryJ99 View Post
I too watch a lot of hockey and more than just the Oilers games, and yes the reffing as a whole is just plain rotten, missed calls phantom calls it really seems like they are trying to change and control the outcome of some games. I hate to say this but I miss some of the old refs and really have no clue who the new ones are except that most of them just SUCK at their jobs.
I think todays officials have a lot harder job to do than the Old refs had.

Today almost anything can be called a penalty, but if they call everything by the "New NHL Standards" then we would all be there all night, and no one wants that. So they have to pick their spots to make their calls and its hard to stay consistent that way. Gary wants them to call everything, but he also wants the games to flow. you obviously can't have both. This is a recipe for inconsistency.

Also i think the reason we are noticing it a lot more this season is because the Oilers aren't winning. I guarantee you this thread does not come up if we are 1st in the west instead of last.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 06:54 PM
MerryJ99

Hooking....................I hate that call now, it should be called touching, because as soon as a player so much has touches another player with their stick it is a hooking call and it really is because of that stupid penalty that the game is so much faster that we are seeing more injuries now than ever.

MerryJ99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 09:57 AM
Mentallydull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
I think todays officials have a lot harder job to do than the Old refs had.

Today almost anything can be called a penalty, but if they call everything by the "New NHL Standards" then we would all be there all night, and no one wants that. So they have to pick their spots to make their calls and its hard to stay consistent that way. Gary wants them to call everything, but he also wants the games to flow. you obviously can't have both. This is a recipe for inconsistency.

Also i think the reason we are noticing it a lot more this season is because the Oilers aren't winning. I guarantee you this thread does not come up if we are 1st in the west instead of last.
Actually, this thread would come up anyways since I don't just watch Oilers games. If I see a picture of 6 players set up in a defensive zone, Oilers are not, it's going to bring up questions. I've questioned calls both for us and against us and I've questioned calls for and against other teams that aren't playing for the Oilers.

I'm not sure how you come to the conclusion that I wouldn't bring this up if the Oilers were first in the west instead of last, considering I stated in the first post that I don't blame the refs for any of our losses.

Mentallydull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 10:26 AM
Boilers*

It seems strange to me, this year the home team anywhere seems to get jobbed by the officials (the linesman are absolutely the worst though). I don't know if they do this to encourage the fans to "get into the game" or what. These guys just flat out suck this year though. Maybe they'll be better next year though, just as any rookie takes awhile to mature and learn their job.

Boilers* is offline   Reply With Quote