HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

SI- Devils #19 franchise of the Decade

Old
12-22-2009, 06:41 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
SI- Devils #19 franchise of the Decade

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ses/index.html

Quote:
19 New Jersey Devils
Credentials: For a franchise that made the playoffs just once in its first 13 seasons, New Jersey has turned into one of the NHL's most consistent organizations. The Devils have made the playoffs in 12 consecutive seasons (all nine this decade) and won two more Stanley Cups (1999-00, '02-03). The Devils also lost in the Finals to the Avalanche in seven games in 2000-01.

Drawbacks: Since the NHL lockout in 2004-05, the Devils have not made it past the conference semifinals. Despite winning three more Atlantic Division titles, New Jersey has won only two postseason series since its last Cup win in 2002-03.

Wings are the only higher NHL team

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 06:47 PM
BrodeursCups

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Good find man...

Hard to argue we should be much higher considering the success teams ahead of us have experienced.

As for their athletes of the decade: My only beef is that race car drivers and golfers should just have a separate category.

BrodeursCups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 06:59 PM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

Glad they got it right and put us as the #2 team behind the Wings. If someone else was above us I would've been piassed.

Darius Dangleaitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 07:01 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Dangleaitis View Post
Glad they got it right and put us as the #2 team behind the Wings. If someone else was above us I would've been piassed.
No kidding. God forbid my wrath if they put the Penguins on there.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 07:15 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeursCups View Post
As for their athletes of the decade: My only beef is that race car drivers and golfers should just have a separate category.
Thought that list was a joke, a hockey player didn't make it till #19 and it wasn't Marty, but Arod and his steroids made the list. In fact THREE Yankees made the list and just ONE hockey player.

12-22-2009, 07:21 PM
BrodeursCups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Bass View Post
Thought that list was a joke, a hockey player didn't make it till #19 and it wasn't Marty, but Arod and his steroids made the list. In fact THREE Yankees made the list and just ONE hockey player.
My thoughts exactly.

Brodeur should be on there with Lidstrom. Two guys that are true professionals and have done things the right way. We'll never know how baseball player's numbers would differ without the 'roids. Personally I have no respect for anyone that was caught cheating.

How can you have race car drivers above true athletes? There's a remarkable difference in sitting in a car for a few hours turning the wheel to the left and playing hockey, football, etc..

Old
12-22-2009, 07:33 PM
Cowbell232

Quote:
My thoughts exactly.

Brodeur should be on there with Lidstrom. Two guys that are true professionals and have done things the right way. We'll never know how baseball player's numbers would differ without the 'roids. Personally I have no respect for anyone that was caught cheating.

How can you have race car drivers above true athletes? There's a remarkable difference in sitting in a car for a few hours turning the wheel to the left and playing hockey, football, etc..
You'd be amazed at how hard it is to drive those cars that well. Where centimeters in either direction over the course of 100-200 laps can make the difference between 1st place and last. Not to mention those guys loose 10+ pounds sweating in those cars each race. They're all in really good physical and mental shape.

I hate NASCAR, but I respect it.

Old
12-22-2009, 07:34 PM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

It's a contextual argument, but college teams really can't be labeled as "franchises".

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 07:35 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

No Mayweather in the top 20 athletes of the decade? The guy who has had a major title in Super Featherweight (98-01), Lightweight (01-03), Light Welterweight (04-05), Welterweight (06), Light Middleweight (07), Welterweight (07 - completely outclassed and KO'd the then unbeaten Hatton who had just beaten a Pound-for-Pound fighter in Tzsyu)... retired for a year and then came back to completely dominate another Pound-for-Pound fighter in Marquez.

Ridiculous.

Usain Bolt in the top 5? Terrible...

yakitate304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 07:35 PM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Bass View Post
I also had a big problem with Tim Duncan on that list over Marty. I like Duncan and he's accomplished a lot, but Marty will have a higher place in his sport when both are retired and he holds more records.

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 07:36 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkson Falls Down View Post
It's a contextual argument, but college teams really can't be labeled as "franchises".
I thought that was kind of weird too. But, considering the amount of turnover those teams have, it's almost more impressive if they can stay dominant for so long.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 08:42 PM
guyincognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
I thought that was kind of weird too. But, considering the amount of turnover those teams have, it's almost more impressive if they can stay dominant for so long.
it speaks more to their scruples than anything else. it's easy to run a big name college football program. it's an absolute joke now to run a big name college basketball program.

but to run a program that involves students and not mercs, that's impressive.

guyincognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:00 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Brodeur should be on there with Lidstrom.
Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkson Falls Down View Post
I also had a big problem with Tim Duncan on that list over Marty. I like Duncan and he's accomplished a lot, but Marty will have a higher place in his sport when both are retired and he holds more records.
Actually I don't mind Duncan chosen over Marty, mostly because there was worse choices than him so he didn't stick out much for me, plus I always thought the Spurs were the Devils of the NBA - if that's possible - and Duncan was their Marty.

Ronnie Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:07 PM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakitate304 View Post
No Mayweather in the top 20 athletes of the decade? The guy who has had a major title in Super Featherweight (98-01), Lightweight (01-03), Light Welterweight (04-05), Welterweight (06), Light Middleweight (07), Welterweight (07 - completely outclassed and KO'd the then unbeaten Hatton who had just beaten a Pound-for-Pound fighter in Tzsyu)... retired for a year and then came back to completely dominate another Pound-for-Pound fighter in Marquez.

Ridiculous.

Usain Bolt in the top 5? Terrible...
Agreed on all counts. One Olympic performance, although impressive, is not enough to outweigh that kind of boxing dominance.

Darius Dangleaitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:42 PM
lightsout

I looked at just about all the lists. I'm not going to complain about the lists because my opinion differs, and the list of top 20 games reminded me of the 6 OT game between Syracuse and UCONN last year. Am I the only one who watched the entire game?

lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 10:55 PM
PacManNJD
Let's get clever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
You'd be amazed at how hard it is to drive those cars that well. Where centimeters in either direction over the course of 100-200 laps can make the difference between 1st place and last. Not to mention those guys loose 10+ pounds sweating in those cars each race. They're all in really good physical and mental shape.

I hate NASCAR, but I respect it.
I used to really like NASCAR (Before the damn sport become the "Jimmie Johnson Show."), and everything you said is true...

It really is a sport about precision, strategy, and teamwork, and people don't lie when they tell you that it's one of the most physically demanding sports.

They're not race car drivers, they're athletes.

PacManNJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 10:57 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
i think that Nascar drivers are athletes, but i dont think Nascar is a sport. i know that doesnt make sense, but whatever

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:03 PM
PacManNJD
Let's get clever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Whites Eye View Post
i think that Nascar drivers are athletes, but i dont think Nascar is a sport. i know that doesnt make sense, but whatever
I guess I agree to disagree...

It is technically a "sport," however, many people don't see it as one because they think all you're doing is sitting for three hours, which is far from the truth.

PacManNJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:05 PM
BrodeursCups

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmanghostx View Post
I guess I agree to disagree...

It is technically a "sport," however, many people don't see it as one because they think all you're doing is sitting for three hours, which is far from the truth.
Well, if they're not sitting in a car for 3 hours and steering to the left, then what are they doing? And I'm not being sarcastic, just wondering..

I don't think golfers are athletes either..

Old
12-22-2009, 11:18 PM
SixStringAddict

It's great that we got some well deserved recognition but I lost all respect for SI when they gave athlete of the decade to Tiger instead of Roger Federer. Thats just the joke of the decade*.

*I'm a tennis player, hence my views are heavily biased.

Plus Michael Schumacher is only ranked 10th. What a joke.

SixStringAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:41 PM
Devils Mike*

Send a message via MSN to Devils Mike*
I'd have to say that making a top athletes of the decade is much harder then top franchises of the decade and it takes a ton of work and personal opinion.

Devils Mike* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:57 PM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixStringAddict View Post
It's great that we got some well deserved recognition but I lost all respect for SI when they gave athlete of the decade to Tiger instead of Roger Federer. Thats just the joke of the decade*.

Race car drivers are not athletes. The car (specifically the engine) does all of the work.

jkrdevil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 12:06 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrdevil View Post
Race car drivers are not athletes. The car (specifically the engine) does all of the work.
I don't know. The G Forces in those cars is incredible and the drivers lose 10 pounds in a race on a hot day.

I'd say that in terms of fitness, it's more important for race car drivers than it is for baseball players.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 12:10 AM
Semak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixStringAddict View Post

I only watch women's tennis and I agree with you.

Semak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 12:14 AM
BrodeursCups

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I don't know. The G Forces in those cars is incredible and the drivers lose 10 pounds in a race on a hot day.

I'd say that in terms of fitness, it's more important for race car drivers than it is for baseball players.
Pretty accurate. Between sitting in the dugout chewing tobacco and standing in the outfield/infield waiting to be involved in a play they're probably active for about 5-10 minutes/game.