HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

SI- Devils #19 franchise of the Decade

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-22-2009, 06:41 PM
  #1
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation
 
Zajacs Bowl Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southampton, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 39,883
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
SI- Devils #19 franchise of the Decade

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ses/index.html

Quote:
19 New Jersey Devils
Credentials: For a franchise that made the playoffs just once in its first 13 seasons, New Jersey has turned into one of the NHL's most consistent organizations. The Devils have made the playoffs in 12 consecutive seasons (all nine this decade) and won two more Stanley Cups (1999-00, '02-03). The Devils also lost in the Finals to the Avalanche in seven games in 2000-01.

Drawbacks: Since the NHL lockout in 2004-05, the Devils have not made it past the conference semifinals. Despite winning three more Atlantic Division titles, New Jersey has won only two postseason series since its last Cup win in 2002-03.

Wings are the only higher NHL team

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 06:47 PM
  #2
BrodeursCups
....
 
BrodeursCups's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NoDak now NYC area
Country: United States
Posts: 29,915
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Good find man...

Hard to argue we should be much higher considering the success teams ahead of us have experienced.

As for their athletes of the decade: My only beef is that race car drivers and golfers should just have a separate category.

BrodeursCups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 06:59 PM
  #3
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk
 
Darius Dangleaitis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Morristown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 20,828
vCash: 500
Glad they got it right and put us as the #2 team behind the Wings. If someone else was above us I would've been piassed.

Darius Dangleaitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 07:01 PM
  #4
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,500
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Dangleaitis View Post
Glad they got it right and put us as the #2 team behind the Wings. If someone else was above us I would've been piassed.
No kidding. God forbid my wrath if they put the Penguins on there.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 07:15 PM
  #5
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside
 
Ronnie Bass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New Jersey
Country: Ireland
Posts: 20,178
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeursCups View Post
As for their athletes of the decade: My only beef is that race car drivers and golfers should just have a separate category.
Thought that list was a joke, a hockey player didn't make it till #19 and it wasn't Marty, but Arod and his steroids made the list. In fact THREE Yankees made the list and just ONE hockey player.

__________________
1995, 2000, 2003..........
Ronnie Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 07:21 PM
  #6
BrodeursCups
....
 
BrodeursCups's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NoDak now NYC area
Country: United States
Posts: 29,915
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Bass View Post
Thought that list was a joke, a hockey player didn't make it till #19 and it wasn't Marty, but Arod and his steroids made the list. In fact THREE Yankees made the list and just ONE hockey player.
My thoughts exactly.

Brodeur should be on there with Lidstrom. Two guys that are true professionals and have done things the right way. We'll never know how baseball player's numbers would differ without the 'roids. Personally I have no respect for anyone that was caught cheating.

How can you have race car drivers above true athletes? There's a remarkable difference in sitting in a car for a few hours turning the wheel to the left and playing hockey, football, etc..

BrodeursCups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 07:33 PM
  #7
Cowbell232
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeursCups View Post
My thoughts exactly.

Brodeur should be on there with Lidstrom. Two guys that are true professionals and have done things the right way. We'll never know how baseball player's numbers would differ without the 'roids. Personally I have no respect for anyone that was caught cheating.

How can you have race car drivers above true athletes? There's a remarkable difference in sitting in a car for a few hours turning the wheel to the left and playing hockey, football, etc..
You'd be amazed at how hard it is to drive those cars that well. Where centimeters in either direction over the course of 100-200 laps can make the difference between 1st place and last. Not to mention those guys loose 10+ pounds sweating in those cars each race. They're all in really good physical and mental shape.

I hate NASCAR, but I respect it.

__________________
"Why I'll be a Devil forever [...] two words. Trust and respect." - Mr. Pat Burns
"I learned not to question Cowbell's willingness to ban." - Brian Boyle
Cowbell232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 07:34 PM
  #8
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
 
CFD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 18,087
vCash: 500
It's a contextual argument, but college teams really can't be labeled as "franchises".

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 07:35 PM
  #9
yakitate304
Crunch Time
 
yakitate304's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NY
Country: St Lucia
Posts: 13,915
vCash: 500
No Mayweather in the top 20 athletes of the decade? The guy who has had a major title in Super Featherweight (98-01), Lightweight (01-03), Light Welterweight (04-05), Welterweight (06), Light Middleweight (07), Welterweight (07 - completely outclassed and KO'd the then unbeaten Hatton who had just beaten a Pound-for-Pound fighter in Tzsyu)... retired for a year and then came back to completely dominate another Pound-for-Pound fighter in Marquez.

Ridiculous.



Usain Bolt in the top 5? Terrible...

yakitate304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 07:35 PM
  #10
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
 
CFD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 18,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Bass View Post
Thought that list was a joke, a hockey player didn't make it till #19 and it wasn't Marty, but Arod and his steroids made the list. In fact THREE Yankees made the list and just ONE hockey player.
I also had a big problem with Tim Duncan on that list over Marty. I like Duncan and he's accomplished a lot, but Marty will have a higher place in his sport when both are retired and he holds more records.

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 07:36 PM
  #11
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,500
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkson Falls Down View Post
It's a contextual argument, but college teams really can't be labeled as "franchises".
I thought that was kind of weird too. But, considering the amount of turnover those teams have, it's almost more impressive if they can stay dominant for so long.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 08:42 PM
  #12
guyincognito
Registered User
 
guyincognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 31,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
I thought that was kind of weird too. But, considering the amount of turnover those teams have, it's almost more impressive if they can stay dominant for so long.
it speaks more to their scruples than anything else. it's easy to run a big name college football program. it's an absolute joke now to run a big name college basketball program.

but to run a program that involves students and not mercs, that's impressive.

guyincognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:00 PM
  #13
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside
 
Ronnie Bass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New Jersey
Country: Ireland
Posts: 20,178
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeursCups View Post
Brodeur should be on there with Lidstrom.
Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkson Falls Down View Post
I also had a big problem with Tim Duncan on that list over Marty. I like Duncan and he's accomplished a lot, but Marty will have a higher place in his sport when both are retired and he holds more records.
Actually I don't mind Duncan chosen over Marty, mostly because there was worse choices than him so he didn't stick out much for me, plus I always thought the Spurs were the Devils of the NBA - if that's possible - and Duncan was their Marty.

Ronnie Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:07 PM
  #14
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk
 
Darius Dangleaitis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Morristown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 20,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakitate304 View Post
No Mayweather in the top 20 athletes of the decade? The guy who has had a major title in Super Featherweight (98-01), Lightweight (01-03), Light Welterweight (04-05), Welterweight (06), Light Middleweight (07), Welterweight (07 - completely outclassed and KO'd the then unbeaten Hatton who had just beaten a Pound-for-Pound fighter in Tzsyu)... retired for a year and then came back to completely dominate another Pound-for-Pound fighter in Marquez.

Ridiculous.



Usain Bolt in the top 5? Terrible...
Agreed on all counts. One Olympic performance, although impressive, is not enough to outweigh that kind of boxing dominance.

Darius Dangleaitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:42 PM
  #15
lightsout
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 862
vCash: 500
I looked at just about all the lists. I'm not going to complain about the lists because my opinion differs, and the list of top 20 games reminded me of the 6 OT game between Syracuse and UCONN last year. Am I the only one who watched the entire game?

lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 10:55 PM
  #16
PacManNJD
Let's get clever.
 
PacManNJD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: North Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 18,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
You'd be amazed at how hard it is to drive those cars that well. Where centimeters in either direction over the course of 100-200 laps can make the difference between 1st place and last. Not to mention those guys loose 10+ pounds sweating in those cars each race. They're all in really good physical and mental shape.

I hate NASCAR, but I respect it.
I used to really like NASCAR (Before the damn sport become the "Jimmie Johnson Show."), and everything you said is true...

It really is a sport about precision, strategy, and teamwork, and people don't lie when they tell you that it's one of the most physically demanding sports.

They're not race car drivers, they're athletes.

PacManNJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 10:57 PM
  #17
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation
 
Zajacs Bowl Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southampton, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 39,883
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
i think that Nascar drivers are athletes, but i dont think Nascar is a sport. i know that doesnt make sense, but whatever

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:03 PM
  #18
PacManNJD
Let's get clever.
 
PacManNJD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: North Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 18,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Whites Eye View Post
i think that Nascar drivers are athletes, but i dont think Nascar is a sport. i know that doesnt make sense, but whatever
I guess I agree to disagree...

It is technically a "sport," however, many people don't see it as one because they think all you're doing is sitting for three hours, which is far from the truth.

PacManNJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:05 PM
  #19
BrodeursCups
....
 
BrodeursCups's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NoDak now NYC area
Country: United States
Posts: 29,915
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmanghostx View Post
I guess I agree to disagree...

It is technically a "sport," however, many people don't see it as one because they think all you're doing is sitting for three hours, which is far from the truth.
Well, if they're not sitting in a car for 3 hours and steering to the left, then what are they doing? And I'm not being sarcastic, just wondering..

I don't think golfers are athletes either..

BrodeursCups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:18 PM
  #20
SixStringAddict
Registered User
 
SixStringAddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,557
vCash: 500
It's great that we got some well deserved recognition but I lost all respect for SI when they gave athlete of the decade to Tiger instead of Roger Federer. Thats just the joke of the decade*.

*I'm a tennis player, hence my views are heavily biased.

Plus Michael Schumacher is only ranked 10th. What a joke.

SixStringAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:41 PM
  #21
Devils Mike*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 6,989
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Devils Mike*
I'd have to say that making a top athletes of the decade is much harder then top franchises of the decade and it takes a ton of work and personal opinion.

Devils Mike* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:57 PM
  #22
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User
 
jkrdevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 30,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixStringAddict View Post
It's great that we got some well deserved recognition but I lost all respect for SI when they gave athlete of the decade to Tiger instead of Roger Federer. Thats just the joke of the decade*.

*I'm a tennis player, hence my views are heavily biased.

Plus Michael Schumacher is only ranked 10th. What a joke.
Race car drivers are not athletes. The car (specifically the engine) does all of the work.

jkrdevil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 12:06 AM
  #23
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 41,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrdevil View Post
Race car drivers are not athletes. The car (specifically the engine) does all of the work.
I don't know. The G Forces in those cars is incredible and the drivers lose 10 pounds in a race on a hot day.

I'd say that in terms of fitness, it's more important for race car drivers than it is for baseball players.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 12:10 AM
  #24
Semak
Moderator
_______________
 
Semak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Osaka, Japan
Country: Japan
Posts: 8,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixStringAddict View Post
It's great that we got some well deserved recognition but I lost all respect for SI when they gave athlete of the decade to Tiger instead of Roger Federer. Thats just the joke of the decade*.

*I'm a tennis player, hence my views are heavily biased.

Plus Michael Schumacher is only ranked 10th. What a joke.
I only watch women's tennis and I agree with you.

Semak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 12:14 AM
  #25
BrodeursCups
....
 
BrodeursCups's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NoDak now NYC area
Country: United States
Posts: 29,915
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I don't know. The G Forces in those cars is incredible and the drivers lose 10 pounds in a race on a hot day.

I'd say that in terms of fitness, it's more important for race car drivers than it is for baseball players.
Pretty accurate. Between sitting in the dugout chewing tobacco and standing in the outfield/infield waiting to be involved in a play they're probably active for about 5-10 minutes/game.

BrodeursCups is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.