HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brooks Laich

Old
12-23-2009, 09:08 AM
txpd

vCash: 500
Brooks Laich

Anyone notice that Brooks Laich's game has fallen on hard times? He has 1 goal in the last 15 games. That in turn has driven his season pace back to his level of production of the past two seasons.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 09:11 AM
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president

vCash: 50
Even when Brooks isn't scoring goals, he still contributes to the team in a lot of different ways.

Here's a new article from Corey about Brooks.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 09:15 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Anyone notice that Brooks Laich's game has fallen on hard times? He has 1 goal in the last 15 games. That in turn has driven his season pace back to his level of production of the past two seasons.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 09:17 AM
txpd

I was actually asking a question. I hadn't noticed. I was looking at Chris Clark's stat line and saw the Ladies Man had 10 goals and I thought he had been on a 30 goal + pace. I just hadnt noticed he is been struggling.

Old
12-23-2009, 09:19 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
Even when Brooks isn't scoring goals, he still contributes to the team in a lot of different ways.

Here's a new article from Corey about Brooks.
He does. In the same sort of ways that Chris Clark does. He is a character player. Heart and Soul.

Old
12-23-2009, 09:21 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 09:26 AM
Darkproducer
HFBoards Sponsor

Had to pull this out again...Brooks is superman. He can play D better then most of our defensemen.

Darkproducer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 09:37 AM
robbyrock*

This imo is what makes him so valuable. The team has plenty of fire power,and maybe Brooksie realizes we need someone defensively reliable while still taking a pounding in the crease for the likes of semin,ovie and green. Welcome to the life of a gritty hockey player...sometimes the wins are more important than the stats....and if we keep winning and he doesnt score more than 30+...oh well at least hes a bargain.

robbyrock* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 09:40 AM
Devil Dancer

I like the subtle Weagle in the background. Good job as always, DP.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 09:51 AM
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
He does. In the same sort of ways that Chris Clark does. He is a character player. Heart and Soul.
Except Brooks plays all 3 forward positions, and has filled in on defence. Brooks also plays 3:11 on the PP per game taking a beating in front of the other teams goals. Brooks also plays 2:16 on the PK per game.

I do agree that Clark is a heart and soul kind of player, but Brooks is on a completley different level then Clark.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 10:11 AM
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin

vCash: 2743
I think Flash has taken some of his snaps on the PP. Maybe Knuble has as well. Without looking I will bet Brooks still leads our team in PP goals. But maybe there is something there, specifically Brooks and BMo arent getting much done at ES. Bruce moving Laich to 3C may be part of it. It would make sense to keep Knuble and Laich on seperate lines, but Bruce keeps having to move Semin up for goals.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 10:25 AM
txpd

I think Knuble missed most of the past 15 games. I was actually wondering if Knuble being out was hurting Laich's game, not the reverse. It could well be that Knuble being out has hurt both Laich and Morrison.

Old
12-23-2009, 10:36 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Laich gets most of his goals close in. He doesn't score in the variety of ways, like Flash, and therefore is subject to the ebbs and flows of the bounces.

Oh and send him and BMo down with MP!

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 10:38 AM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

all of what i've seen of the KLM line has been them generating a lot of pressure, having good puck posession and being defensively responsible, but not really finishing too much. it always seems like they're on the verge of scoring two every game, but seldom do.

i want to say that it doesn't seem like they're really taking enough chances, being afraid to turn over the puck, but it's pretty hard to hard to say "shoulda pinched there" or "shoulda challenged the D instead of dumping." especially if SOB just got off one of their globetrotter shifts.

PuckBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 10:39 AM
HokieHockey

I think Laich is at the top of his game. He's not scoring as frequently but contributing enough in every other aspect of the game to remain a top-tier player.

HokieHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 10:49 AM
robbyrock*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckBuddy View Post
all of what i've seen of the KLM line has been them generating a lot of pressure, having good puck posession and being defensively responsible, but not really finishing too much. it always seems like they're on the verge of scoring two every game, but seldom do.

i want to say that it doesn't seem like they're really taking enough chances, being afraid to turn over the puck, but it's pretty hard to hard to say "shoulda pinched there" or "shoulda challenged the D instead of dumping." especially if SOB just got off one of their globetrotter shifts.

Hahaha that globetrotter shift comment was gold.

Bmo has been getting robbed lately,by goalies and himself. Knuble is an older player...I think it should be expected to have a few games to get his legs back.

robbyrock* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 11:17 AM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyrock View Post
Bmo has been getting robbed lately,by goalies and himself. Knuble is an older player...I think it should be expected to have a few games to get his legs back.

to me, it's looked like they've been playing conservatively since they were put together, even before knuble hurt his paw.

PuckBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 11:50 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I think Flash has taken some of his snaps on the PP. Maybe Knuble has as well. Without looking I will bet Brooks still leads our team in PP goals. But maybe there is something there, specifically Brooks and BMo arent getting much done at ES. Bruce moving Laich to 3C may be part of it. It would make sense to keep Knuble and Laich on seperate lines, but Bruce keeps having to move Semin up for goals.
This. Flash and to a lesser extent Fehr have taken away a lot of Brooksie's PP time, and some of his top 6 time as well. Laich's gone from top 6 winger on the first PP unit to 3rd line center getting no PP time. That'll put a damper on your production.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 12:03 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

The glorified 4th line hasn't been good when paired together at all except for a 2 game stretch before knubes got hurt.

The only way I want to see that line together is if we have sob and flash-mp-fehr (which isn't going to happen with health coming back).
Only then, as a possession 3rd line, could they become affective. Otherwise there's nothing consistent to hope from them.

Look at the compisition. Two grinding wingers who score off rebounds and a center who's passing and puck possession is avg for a 2nd line center.
How could it fail!?

Old
12-23-2009, 12:04 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Laich's gone from top 6 winger on the first PP unit to 3rd line center getting no PP time. That'll put a damper on your production.
Look at the ice time. I think you are wrong. In Edmonton, his first game as the 3rd line center, He had 3:14 of pp time. Ov and Green had more. Fehr had 0:00 pp time and Fleischmann had 2:22. In Vancouver where Wilson was 3C. Laich had 3:52 on the pp. Fehr had 0:30 and Fleischmann 3:55.

I didnt start this as a bash Laich thread. Lets not start making things up to defend him. He doesnt need it

Old
12-23-2009, 12:13 PM
Langway
Flow➜Grow

He doesn't have an even-strength goal in 17 games. I think he's better suited on the third-line and it's worthwhile to see what he can do at center again. He gets too cute/fancy when he's playing with more skilled players at even-strength a lot of the time. Maybe on the third-line he can simplify his game and play more to his strong suits.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 12:44 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
He doesn't have an even-strength goal in 17 games. I think he's better suited on the third-line and it's worthwhile to see what he can do at center again. He gets too cute/fancy when he's playing with more skilled players at even-strength a lot of the time. Maybe on the third-line he can simplify his game and play more to his strong suits.

Agreed.

On a Stanley Cup team, Laich is a good 3rd liner who might chip in a little O if he gets hot. He's a valuable guy but let's not be too satisfied too soon.

There is an attitude around Caps culture that expects A- results from B- players (Pivonka, Zubrus, Juneau, Kolzig, Clark) and Laich is getting pulled into that. I love his game on the 3rd line in the regular season. He's not yet proven to be all that effective in the playoffs (not even on the 3rd line).

I wish more Caps fans demanded excellence (Stanley Cups!) from Caps management instead of being satisfied with guys with big hearts and so-so talent.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 12:55 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Langway that avatar is killer!

Old
12-23-2009, 01:02 PM
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin

vCash: 2743
I think the problem with Laich on 3 is also, who replaces him. We all know Flash gets first dibs. But I think that Flash is better suited for the 3rd line. Flash moving up is something we have all seen not work so many times now, right?

I really think Flash does his best work in a low pressure role. Its when you dont see him that he scores. He hides off to the side of the net pounces on a rebound flying through the air; takes a quick pass and shoots before the G knows what happened. He is very opportunistic. On 1 or 2, he just seems to be on everyones radar and always gets demoted and then picks up where he left off. Flash can pass or shoot though, he has different hats. Plus I am a bit weary of BMo and Flash...

How about this look:
Ovi Nick Knub
Semin BMo Fehr
Flash Laich Clark

I think Fehr has deserved a promotion as much as Flash has. Fehr just needs to bring his hard hat and do some board work. And I dont care if Semin is better on the right side, he can learn to play LW again.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 01:02 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

There's a role laich can play on the 2nd line winger-grinder with skilled players. I have no issue with him there.

I just personally prefer his skills in that capacity, whether 2nd or 3rd scoring line, than as a center.

The caps have the personnel to. Put a high skilled winger with a good center and good grinder on every line. Why we don't do it is beyond me.
Our best line-up by far is:

Ao-nb-knuble
Laich-bmo-semin
Flash-mp-fehr
Laing/clark-stecks-brads

By far.

The trouble is they won't scratch their captain when healthy. And gordo is coming back and gmgm isn't trading a defensive asset this season as insurance if stecks goes down.